Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

Here’s what he said.

The 2021 NASCAR Schedule

Phelps was clear: Nothing to announce yet. NASCAR is continuing to finalize a plan for racing next year, and did not set forth a date for when that announcement is coming. NASCAR released its full 2020 schedule in March of 2019. The pandemic hit in March of this year and inevitably caused delays in planning for 2021.
The sport is considering implementing some of the format changes and new venues it tried this year. For example, the Daytona road course is in consideration to be added as a non-points race next year, although Phelps said he said he “doesn’t see” the road course replacing a second Daytona race.
“So the question is really do you add the Daytona road course as a third Daytona event, or a fourth if you’re going to include the Clash?” Phelps said.

Opening the season on the weeknight the Clash was moved to sounds fun and they had already turned that event into a road course race anyways, but I have to wonder which track loses out in that scenario. So far they haven’t indicated they would expand the points-paying calendar. Regardless, it’s good they’re still working to make changes despite the difficult circumstances.

The article says "long straights like Martinsville but high banks of Bristol" should be interesting!!!!

See- Thompson Speedway, CT.

I love short tracks but this place actually puts on good racing and wouldn't be near the top of my list of tracks to tear up and start over.

I'd put Chicago, Michigan, Texas, Las Vegas, Indy and even pocono ahead of California

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Would like to see several tracks get a make over honestly. I don’t expect to see too much of the concept play out, but it would be refreshing to a degree.

exciting to see how the Next Gen speedway plays out in the coming seasons.

I love short tracks but this place actually puts on good racing and wouldn't be near the top of my list of tracks to tear up and start over.

I'd put Chicago, Michigan, Texas, Las Vegas, Indy and even pocono ahead of California

I would have put Chicago and Kentucky at the very top of the list. Indy will NEVER be changed. Its suitability as a NASCAR track is not even a consideration.

Has there been any confirmation on the Auto Club/California short track in regards to racing surface? Concrete, pavement, dirt, etc?

Indy? Really dude? :XXROFL:
Well the racing is terrible, IMO even for the open wheel guys.

It'll never happen because of the history, but if you historically want poor racing leave the place alone

I couldn't disagree more. In the last 15 years, we have had more exciting Indy 500's than the first 85+- years combined. I don't think the Cup races there are as bad as some people like to let on (certainly no worse than Pocono has been lately) and if NASCAR actually fixes the cars, I think it could be quite good. I think Pocono would be the perfect place to do a hybrid roval-conventional road course.

California's gonna have to be repaved soon which would make it a horrible bore for 15 years, plus the high downforce package has really hurt the racing there.

It's to keep Gossage happy.

Just turn the damn place into a short track or go back to the original configuration Eddie.

Who cares about keeping Gossage happy? I never did like that guy. Once again, NASCAR takes what COULD be a good thing and turns it into meh. Two new tracks for next year, and neither one is a track that anybody that doesn't own them was asking for. COTA is a mediocre road course, and there is REASON Nashville has been sitting empty for years.

TMS losing a points race = Texas-sized W

COTA will be interesting. Awfully long track for the Cup Series, just shy of the Daytona road course with a lot more runoff.

For the All-Star event itself, this is a terrible move compared to something like Bristol. Since I don't care about that race, your framing is a good way to look at it.

I like the COTA move, but I'm not sure the general / casual audience will appreciate the racing there.

So we have Nashville Superspeedway and Circuit of the Americas. It also looks like the Daytona Road Course is being added. So, what's the fourth?

Wonder if Rockingham is in the mix. The state threw a ton of money at that with the intentions of getting NASCAR to go back, but there hasn't been any noise out of there since the Epicenter disaster.

ASR to Texas?

Hahahahahaha

My position is that absent a complete rethinking of what the "All-Star Race" is, the event shouldn't even exist. I'd rather it were scrapped and replaced with a points race at a venue new to the series. If it's going to stay and involves taking a points race away from an existing track, this isn't as bad as doing so at a better track.

So we have Nashville Superspeedway and Circuit of the Americas. It also looks like the Daytona Road Course is being added. So, what's the fourth?

Wonder if Rockingham is in the mix. The state threw a ton of money at that with the intentions of getting NASCAR to go back, but there hasn't been any noise out of there since the Epicenter disaster.
I wish it was Rockingham but I doubt it. Their Twitter Account hasnt tweeted anything since May. of 2019.

The only thing worse than an all star race at Charlotte is an all star race at Texas lol. Bristol would have been fine, they just made it too short and that was obvious before they even ran the race.

So it looks like NASCAR did find a Way to get COTA on the Cup Schedule

Probably in the minority but I’m not a fan of the influx of road coarses.
I'am optimistic. Hope Road America finds its way on as a Playoff race and as well as another short track. then I think we'll be good, however I have zero idea where that short track is coming from besides the two left to die and I dont consider Iowa a short track even though it is in length.

Back
Top Bottom