Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

I don’t understand the Atlanta July race at all. At all. It makes absolutely zero sense to me. It doesn’t sound like it’s a night race.

Do we know if the May Darlington race is a Saturday night race?

NBC wanted the road courses and Nashville market added as well.

FOX didn’t want to compete against the Masters anymore, hence Martinsville being Saturday night.

Martinsville was suppose to be a night race in May this year. I had tickets to go but obviously that didn't come about. I'm not sure if I'm going to renew if it is indeed an April 10th night race. I was there 3 years ago when it snowed in late March.......

So far for 2021 I've lost Kentucky and the much awaited Martinsville spring night race is now a month earlier. I'm anticipating a weekend washout for Pocono's doubleheader too....

Martinsville was suppose to be a night race in May this year. I had tickets to go but obviously that didn't come about. I'm not sure if I'm going to renew if it is indeed an April 10th night race. I was there 3 years ago when it snowed in late March.......

So far for 2021 I've lost Kentucky and the much awaited Martinsville spring night race is now a month earlier. I'm anticipating a weekend washout for Pocono's doubleheader too....
I was there for the snow too...but it could also be 70's during the day and 50s at night. I would take that chance over a super hot Mothers Day race at Darlington and Darlington is one of my favorite tracks.

^^ It’s in the contracts.

900 million dollars a year buys a lot of sway.

I'm not talking about the TV contract....... I'm talking about that smaller but still big portion of the contracts where the tracks make money off of fans showing up to the racetrack, and I don't see the appeal of a Sunday afternoon race in the south in the middle of July.......

Just at a quick glance it is on AVG 7 degrees hotter in Atlanta than it is in central New Hampshire in July..... Watkins Glen & Road America are also in cooler climates for summer. They probably aren't banking on fans next year at this rate.

Make it a Sunday night race.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about the TV contract....... I'm talking about that smaller but still big portion of the contracts where the tracks make money off of fans showing up to the racetrack, and I don't see the appeal of a Sunday afternoon race in the south in the middle of July.......

Just at a quick glance it is on AVG 7 degrees hotter in Atlanta than it is in central New Hampshire in July..... Watkins Glen & Road America are also in cooler climates for summer. They probably aren't banking on fans next year at this rate.

Road America could easily have a heat index around 100 for the July 4th date. Most people outside WI don't realize how brutal July can be in the southern half of the state

Road America could easily have a heat index around 100 for the July 4th date. Most people outside WI don't realize how brutal July can be in the southern half of the state

Average temp is 70-71 in July (75 in the county)

I used Concord, NH for NHMS & Atlanta for AMS. I just don't see the logic in an Atlanta day race. There's not much on TV in mid-July, right? Run it at night.

Why wouldn't they?
I can see turns 12 - 19 being a real bottleneck. Maybe go straight at 12 instead of turning left, then go left to enter 16. Or run 12 through 15, and go from 15 through 16 straight to 19.

I don't know where the 'national circuit' is that @FLRacingFan refers to, but I suspect it's that gray line connecting 6 to the long straightaway. If they're going to do that, then they might as well run the whole layout after all.
1603570198117.png

My post was in response to Speedbowl’s ... just before yours.

Other than that, I agree.

I've decided I don't care if they never run P or Q again. Dropping Q entirely is certainly the easiest way to resolve the question of individual runs vs. timed groups.
I have mixed feelings. I could care less about the big teams, they already have more information and driver experience than they need IMO. It's the new guys that are getting a bit of the shaft. They can't practice anywhere, that's banned, they have to probably take a generic setup and work with it, and they don't have a clue how it will work 25 laps into the run. It's a small bitch, but it's quite a handicap for new drivers trying to attract funding and be competitive

Looks like Iowa is confirmed dead. Two Martinsville, two Darlington, two Atlanta, Nashville, COTA.

Sucks, I've always enjoyed watching Xfinity and the Truck series there.

I hope they land on their feet, its a solid track. It always put on good shows, hopefully Iowa and WWT will have spots on the Xfinity schedule in the future.

Looks like Iowa is confirmed dead. Two Martinsville, two Darlington, two Atlanta, Nashville, COTA.

The only standalone event is Mid-Ohio. All others are companion races with Cup. They aren't going to take the risk of standalone races with the uncertainty surrounding normal live attendance. It's a shame that Iowa falls by the wayside.

^ Also, the Bristol dirt weekend is not on the calendar and Talladega got a second weekend to give Xfinity four plate races.

Interesting. It will be a major task to get the dirt surface raceable for one long race. Doing it on back-to-back days would create a bigger challenge. I'd rather any surrounding races be contested with actual dirt cars anyway.

Sucks, I've always enjoyed watching Xfinity and the Truck series there.

I hope they land on their feet, its a solid track. It always put on good shows, hopefully Iowa and WWT will have spots on the Xfinity schedule in the future.
Ditto, I'd always hoped it was only a matter of time until Cup raced there. Now, nothing. I hate watching tracks die.

Back
Top Bottom