Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

The reason NASCAR fans always think NASCAR is bad is because they hate even the things they want
I understand why many dislike it, but its just an exhibition.

Also, a location like the coliseum could bring more eyes. I actually think its a better alternative to a street course race in LA or Denver.

The reason NASCAR fans always think NASCAR is bad is because they hate even the things they want
My argument is go where you're wanted, not to a place because it's a big market.

Yeah we want more short tracks, but nothing in all my trips to the LA area tells me that those people would largely embrace a nascar race. You realize they've have several proposals to ban gas powered "small offroad engines" such lawnmowers and leaf blowers. Yeah that sounds real inviting to V8 powered stock cars

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My argument is go where you're wanted, not to a place because it's a big market.

Yeah we want more short tracks, but nothing in all my trips to the LA area tells me that those people would largely embrace a nascar race. You realize they've have several proposals to ban gas powered "small offroad engines" such lawnmowers and leaf blowers. Yeah that sounds real inviting to V8 powered stock cars

The whole point of using the clash to see how the reception goes.

It's a bold idea, I'm all for it as a replacement for the Clash at Daytona, which I found increasingly pointless.

I look at it like a west coast Bowman Gray myself IF they can get thru all of the red tape and be able to pull it off. They have raced full sized Nascars at Bowman Grey before, it should work in L.A.

Nascar staging an event on the 'dead weekend' prior to the NFL Super Bowl is a sound marketing strategy, I believe. That could be a home run type of move. Also, I agree with @gnomesayin that The Clash has become stale and I'd welcome something fresh. Personally, I'm not a fan of cars on quarter-mile tracks (except for the Chili Bowl) but that's just me. On balance, I vote "yes" because that open weekend is a golden opportunity.

Also, for those wondering about what tracks new venues will replace, the chatter that Homestead Miami Speedway could be sold and redeveloped are heating up again. Track sits on very valuable real estate and rumor is NASCAR is entertaining offers.
Are you sure Nascar owns or fully controls the real estate under long-term lease? I thought Nascar was the track operator, but it was actually owned by the city or something. Just checking on "rumors" before I believe them.

However, I will admit that I've feared losing the Homestead race ever since Nascar shifted the championship finale to Phoenix. If and when we lose it, Homestead will be missed by racing fans more than North Wilkesboro, I predict. Homestead and Darlington are the two greatest tracks for Nascar racing. Darlington wins hands down for history and tradition, but for consistently producing great racing, Darlington and Homestead are tied for first place IMO.

NASCAR has reduced itself to being the love sick teenager that keeps pulling stupid stunts so the "cool" girls will notice him. Nothing but style over substance. Southern California has run THREE Cup racetracks into the ground. How many more chances do they even deserve? Yes, the Clash has long ago become pointless, and I have zero concern with losing it, but THIS is not the answer. Somebody tell me again about all this focus on saving money. How in the hell is this cost effective?

Nascar staging an event on the 'dead weekend' prior to the NFL Super Bowl is a sound marketing strategy, I believe. That could be a home run type of move. Also, I agree with @gnomesayin that The Clash has become stale and I'd welcome something fresh. Personally, I'm not a fan of cars on quarter-mile tracks (except for the Chili Bowl) but that's just me. On balance, I vote "yes" because that open weekend is a golden opportunity.

Are you sure Nascar owns or fully controls the real estate under long-term lease? I thought Nascar was the track operator, but it was actually owned by the city or something. Just checking on "rumors" before I believe them.

However, I will admit that I've feared losing the Homestead race ever since Nascar shifted the championship finale to Phoenix. If and when we lose it, Homestead will be missed by racing fans more than North Wilkesboro, I predict. Homestead and Darlington are the two greatest tracks for Nascar racing. Darlington wins hands down for history and tradition, but for consistently producing great racing, Darlington and Homestead are tied for first place IMO.

The city owns the track.

and not a single fan asked for a short track in California to take away a Daytona speedweeks race.
Then complain about the roval being used like earlier this year.

Or complain about a wreckfest with new cars.

Or complain about testing a market with an EXHIBITION race.

The roval was at Daytona already, it was apart of Daytona speedweeks.

A wreckfest with new cars? They are gonna have that at least 4 times already that season at two trips to Daytona and Dega already.

Testing a market? Southern California isnt a new NASCAR market.

A wreckfest with new cars? They are gonna have that at least 4 times already that season at two trips to Daytona and Dega already.
It’s funny sometimes Nascar throws around the idea of what will save teams money… the one idea which would save teams money is going to daytona or dega once. With anywhere from 18-25 cars getting wrecked at each race… that would likely spare 40 cars from a big one

It's been the same B.S. about COTA and Nashville. Nothing new

The roval was at Daytona already, it was apart of Daytona speedweeks.

Testing a market? Southern California isnt a new NASCAR market.
Didn't say it was new, its about seeing if they can use the visibility of the new stadium to see what they can do.

All I'm saying is if it happens, I'm giving it a chance. Think about this, Fontana is being changed into a bullring. Now, you have another short-track and a road course in California in Sonoma... That's a nice list to have.

They are trying hard to gain more traction on the west coast and it shows.

I’m apprehensive about NASCAR staging a race inside a stadium like the Coliseum but also kind of excited about it at the same time. I don’t get the fascination with the LA Market as it seems to not have worked there in the past, but yea it’s the 2nd largest TV market in the US so I do get it after all...got to at least try it. I do think if this works it opens up a way to get into markets that you normally wouldn’t be at, maybe that’s why they’re trying this. You could race at Soldier Field in Chicago (already been done), Mile High in Denver, QWest Field or whatever they call it now in Seattle and what I’m assuming would be the huge get...Met Life Field in New York. IF this crazy idea works you just opened up a ton of flexibility for the schedule with short tracks because I don’t know any off the top of my head that are Cup ready. Being SRX ready and Cup ready I guess are two different things. While I myself when I wanted more short tracks would have preferred Cup try to go to Hickory or South Boston (or something of the like)... you know actual living breathing tracks ,instead of trying to make a track in a stadium, I get why they are doing it. The payoff and flexibility is a game changer.

This one doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. Maybe I'm wrong but the whole LA area doesn't seem to be very inviting to nascar. They seem to be constantly passing environmental regulations that go against virtually everything nascar.

The other thing running out to LA to run an exhibition race, back to Daytona, then back out west for the west coast swing seems to oppose any cost cutting measures.

Now if we stayed out west for a couple races this might work

Let's just hope that the clash isn't scheduled opposite a East Los Angeles College basketball game in LA. Going head to head with the Huskies would be an attendance disaster for NASCAR.

Since when has Nascar made much sense??

Damn, we forgot Riverside existed for more than 30 years.

A lot of the younger drivers are coming from the west coast, too.

You have an ARCA Series dedicated to west coast tracks, but California has no place.
Why would Nascar spend gazillions on re configuring a track in California, turning it into shops more parking etc if the California market was so dead as all of the R-F experts think it is?

Why would Nascar spend gazillions on re configuring a track in California, turning it into shops more parking etc if the California market was so dead as all of the R-F experts think it is?
Because they badly want the market but what they're doing isn't working so they need to try something different.

Because they badly want the market but what they're doing isn't working so they need to try something different.

nonsense. I could say they are re configuring it for taxes and tax breaks and make as much sense. Fact is they aren't saying...but I bet they have market analysts and have spoken to the powers that be to test the waters.

nonsense. I could say they are re configuring it for taxes and tax breaks and make as much sense. Fact is they aren't saying...but I bet they have market analysts and have spoken to the powers that be to test the waters.

Isn't testing the waters the same as saying what we're doing now isn't working so we need to try something else?

Isn't testing the waters the same as saying what we're doing now isn't working so we need to try something else?

Somebody came up with the testing the waters B.S. not me. Same nonsense was being said about Nashville and look how that turned out. But here we are again.

Somebody came up with the testing the waters B.S. not me. Same nonsense was being said about Nashville and look how that turned out. But here we are again.
I did due to the fact of using an exhibition race to get a guage to see if its worth placing on the schedule as a points paying event. In the future, that's all meant by it.

Holy run-on sentence.

I did due to the fact of using an exhibition race to get a guage to see if its worth placing on the schedule as a points paying event. In the future, that's all meant by it.

Holy run-on sentence.
C'mon man, people have been complaining about too many races at Daytona "speed week" for a long time and they weren't wrong. California in February is one of the few places in the U.S. to have a race where the weather isn't freezing. The biggest roadblocks are the local/state powers that be, It isn't happening unless they want it to happen.

It’s brilliant.

Typically, NASCAR races with 40 car fields. It makes going to tracks under a half-mile a bit of a challenge. With the shortened field of the Busch Clash it opens the door for NASCAR to visit much smaller tracks.

1631053258240.png

This would be NASCAR’s shortest track, in all three of the national series.

Let's just hope that the clash isn't scheduled opposite a East Los Angeles College basketball game in LA. Going head to head with the Huskies would be an attendance disaster for NASCAR.

Who the hell are the Huskies?

An exhibition could be a decent way to market the Fontana short track project, but I wouldn’t want to see a points race with a full field there. FOX Sports is probably a big proponent with their offices being located in the area.

Homestead is a great track but without a championship to promote it’s a tough draw nestled so far out of the way for everyone. Someone here mentioned in early March 2020 that they had only sold about 18K tickets in advance of the Cup race later that month (pre-shutdown). Even as the championship race they wouldn’t sell out until the week of the race, if at all, and that’s only 46-48K seats. Losing it would hardly be surprising but I’d miss it greatly.

Back
Top Bottom