Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

I normally would side with you on the spending issue, but in an era where nearly every move made in NASCAR is somehow predicated on cost savings, I think you're missing our point. We can't have practice because of money, we can't have qualifying because of money, we have to have generic cars and strangled engines because of money and we can't do this and we can't do that, because of money, BUT we can send half the teams clear across the country for a damn exhibition race at a venue that isn't even a race track. :rolleyes:
All of the above nonsense but building the track are for TEAM savings. NASCAR is footing the bill for building the track, advertizing the event, and paying the prize money (the teams don't do it for free).

I normally would side with you on the spending issue, but in an era where nearly every move made in NASCAR is somehow predicated on cost savings, I think you're missing our point. We can't have practice because of money, we can't have qualifying because of money, we have to have generic cars and strangled engines because of money and we can't do this and we can't do that, because of money, BUT we can send half the teams clear across the country for a damn exhibition race at a venue that isn't even a race track. :rolleyes:
I’m afraid I’m not as passionate about this as you because it’s…not my money being used to finance what you listed above. NASCAR can go from LA to Daytona and I wouldn’t care as long it entertains me. I don’t care how much it costs to build a track in The Coliseum…I just want to be entertained when it’s raceday

I’m afraid I’m not as passionate about this as you because it’s…not my money being used to finance what you listed above. NASCAR can go from LA to Daytona and I wouldn’t care as long it entertains me. I don’t care how much it costs to build a track in The Coliseum…I just want to be entertained when it’s raceday
That's fine, you're entitled to take whatever from the sport you want. My interests in it runs far deeper than being entertained for three hours once a week.

Remember as well this event is happening the same time the Super Bowl is in LA so lots of people in town

They had Clint, Jamie and Reddick racing the track on sims, and it was wider than I thought it would be. It looked a lot wider than Bowman Grey
This was my concern - how will they keep it from being a 1-lane track (a-la when they tried restrictor plates an NHMS). Or will it be a re-born old school bristol, where bumper use will be critical?

This was my concern - how will they keep it from being a 1-lane track (a-la when they tried restrictor plates an NHMS). Or will it be a re-born old school bristol, where bumper use will be critical?
I think we will get to see a test of the new composite bodies toughness. These guys are good, but I can't see them staying off of each other IMO.

Clash Meme.jpg

This meme posted by @kkfan91 actually nails the opposition arguments I have seen, which are mostly defensive in tone and lame in substance. Hey @Formerjackman, what's the big deal about 20 hauler drivers adding a cross-country trip? They do get paid, right? And aren't they pretty under-utilized compared to other full-time, over-the-road truckers? Their work load has peaks and valleys across nine months of the year... sorta like school teachers... excepts the drivers are paid a lot more than teachers. :idunno:

Nascar and the race teams have been aggressively seeking to improve the financial viability of the sport. Lower costs to race are a big part of that. But I haven't heard anyone say opportunities to boost revenues are unwelcome. Actually, quite the opposite.

Jackman, I'm not saying you should like the idea, or @ChexOrWrex or other naysayers should like it either. Personally, I don't like cars on quarter-mile tracks. I'm just saying when you offer flimsy faux evidence to "prove' it's inherently a bad idea, people gonna call B.S. on that.

NASCAR's Ben Kennedy: Why Not Take Busch Clash to Bowman Gray Stadium?​

This is sorta like asking Roger Goodell, "Why are you scheduling Jacksonville vs. Miami in London's Wembly Stadium? There's a vacant Shriner's Field in Pensacola... why not play there?"

View attachment 57471

This meme posted by @kkfan91 actually nails the opposition arguments I have seen, which are mostly defensive in tone and lame in substance. Hey @Formerjackman, what's the big deal about 20 hauler drivers adding a cross-country trip? They do get paid, right? And aren't they pretty under-utilized compared to other full-time, over-the-road truckers? Their work load has peaks and valleys across nine months of the year... sorta like school teachers... excepts the drivers are paid a lot more than teachers. :idunno:

Nascar and the race teams have been aggressively seeking to improve the financial viability of the sport. Lower costs to race are a big part of that. But I haven't heard anyone say opportunities to boost revenues are unwelcome. Actually, quite the opposite.

Jackman, I'm not saying you should like the idea, or @ChexOrWrex or other naysayers should like it either. Personally, I don't like cars on quarter-mile tracks. I'm just saying when you offer flimsy faux evidence to "prove' it's inherently a bad idea, people gonna call B.S. on that.

This is sorta like asking Roger Goodell, "Why are you scheduling Jacksonville vs. Miami in London's Wembly Stadium? There's a vacant Shriner's Field in Pensacola... why not play there?"
You’re @ting the wrong person. The only thing I’ve pointed out is the lack of rational logistics that goes into the placement of this race and the weird marketing justification. You can shove your virtue signaling holier than thou tone though.

1631770741754.jpeg

There is a reason why NASCAR moved beyond racing in football stadiums. They are better than that., or at least they were. I think the entire thing is pointless, but if they are hell bent on doing it, do it someplace that showcases the BEST the sport has to offer. If this is the best we have to offer,, then I guess the battle has already been lost.

There is a reason why NASCAR moved beyond racing in football stadiums. They are better than that., or at least they were. I think the entire thing is pointless, but if they are hell bent on doing it, do it someplace that showcases the BEST the sport has to offer. If this is the best we have to offer,, then I guess the battle has already been lost.
Gimmicks.

Oh no, not THIS short track. :lol2:

The imagery with 4K cameras will be fantastic. The celebrities in town for the superbowl who will have PR interviews for the race will catch eyes.

I’m still curious of the actual audience. I hope they let USC students attend the race in their normal student sections used during football season. Although I’d still imagine that the audience that attends Fontana will fill most of the stadium.

If you google “nascar la coliseum” the entire first page is all NASCAR and other motorsports media, along with local California channels picking the story up. It’s not like the football audience NASCAR is hoping to attract is seeing this story en mass. That’s already a PR loss for reach.

I don't think they'll get massive attendence for a pre-season exhibition race.... I'd love to see them paired up with a points paying race for the trucks. Now that'd be a ticket!

California being Nascar's largest market was laughed off by the R-F experts a few years back. I take most of what the R-F experts say with a grain of salt. The exhibition race will be fine. I think the TV coverage will be fantastic. One thing the networks know how to do is broadcast football in a stadium. It's a gerbil free zone also.

Where in the hell have you heard they won't?
An article in The Athletic noted that use of the car was not confirmed yet and teams were concerned about racing the car for the very first time in an exhibition event likely to be a high contact race.

An article in The Athletic noted that use of the car was not confirmed yet and teams were concerned about racing the car for the very first time in an exhibition event likely to be a high contact race.
Here ya go:
Kennedy added: "I think given that it is a fresh concept, a fresh event, a fresh year, we wanted to start off with a fresh look with the Next Gen car."

Am I death bedding wrong when the number placement for the next gen cars angers me more than the Coliseum race? (which I think will be a cool novelty, gimmick, and actually turn into a pretty entertaining race. My wife and I are actually thinking of going since neither of us have even set foot in California ever, and I've always wanted to go to LA)

Am I death bedding wrong when the number placement for the next gen cars angers me more than the Coliseum race? (which I think will be a cool novelty, gimmick, and actually turn into a pretty entertaining race. My wife and I are actually thinking of going since neither of us have even set foot in California ever, and I've always wanted to go to LA)
Surely you should be able to find something

NASCAR to Wembley
“We think about what existing tracks are out there that you could realistically and feasibly go to, but also about what new markets are out there, too,” NASCAR vice president of strategic initiatives Ben Kennedy told NBC Sports. “And I think the L.A. Coliseum and a concept like this brings about the ability to go to different markets. And in particular as we think about international markets as well. There’s a ton of soccer stadiums across the world, and being able to duplicate this in other markets, I think really turns this into a proof of concept as well.”

So you can judge a race before you see it? That’s amazing. Wish I had that power.

1) Why did we stop racing in these venues in the first place?

2) Why not just dump all the real racetracks and become a stadium series? It would likely be far cheaper than supporting these big speedways and owning all of that property.

3) Are there ANY of these venues that could honestly support a full field of cars and and a proper pit road? If not, then what is the point?

4) What is the actual end game? Anyone remember all of those trips to Australia and Japan NASCAR teams made? What became of any of that? Answer: Not a damn thing.

5) When we have more good race tracks than we have race dates to give out, why are we wasting precious opportunities on non racetrack venues?

6) How much full body stock car racing have most of you actually watched on tracks 3/8" of a mile and smaller? To each his own, but I personally find it a much less than a compelling product.

2) Why not just dump all the real racetracks and become a stadium series? It would likely be far cheaper than supporting these big speedways and owning all of that property.

3) Are there ANY of these venues that could honestly support a full field of cars and and a proper pit road? If not, then what is the point?

4) What is the actual end game? Anyone remember all of those trips to Australia and Japan NASCAR teams made? What became of any of that? Answer: Not a damn thing.

5) When we have more good race tracks than we have race dates to give out, why are we wasting precious opportunities on non racetrack venues?

6) How much full body stock car racing have most of you actually watched on tracks 3/8" of a mile and smaller? To each his own, but I personally find it a much less than a compelling product.
poor feller, he's ate up with it. Tell ya what, when it comes to agreeing with your opinion and agreeing with Nascar's I got to go with Nascar's every time. I think they would have been gone a long time ago listening to your opinions. Jus sayin.

poor feller, he's ate up with it. Tell ya what, when it comes to agreeing with your opinion and agreeing with Nascar's I got to go with Nascar's every time. I think they would have been gone a long time ago listening to your opinions. Jus sayin.
The Jackman is FIRED up today.

along with Estadio Azteca, if this Coliseum deal is a hit heres my wishlist of where I hope Cup has a future stadium race....... or screw it do 1-2 each year and rotate a new venue each year. Seeing an actual race at Soldier Field would be so freaking cool, I wouldnt be able to comprehend it.
1631814787120.png
1631814813702.png
1631814848647.png
1631814943277.png

while grasping at straws:
1) would love to hear your logic on this one. :laugh:
2) good reason why I go with Nascar every time :laugh:
3) surely you have seen, heaven forbid, the changes in the racing formats that Nascar has been doing lately
4)You forgot Mexico and Canada and Euro Nascar.
5) huh? you will have to do more splaining on that one.
6) probably why most of us are interested in seeing how it goes. Although it was done in the past, many of us weren't around to see it. I think because you have a misplaced notion because it isn't being done, it was a failure? When tracks all over the country are racing every weekend on small tracks. Are you that naive to think Nascar is going to do nothing but stadium racing and abandon all of their other tracks?

I have a bit of a thing with this. What do we think the banking in the turns will be. Kennedy said they are experimenting with certain banking numbers? Any guesses? flat, 2, 3, or 4 degrees? more?

I have a bit of a thing with this. What do we think the banking in the turns will be. Kennedy said they are experimenting with certain banking numbers? Any guesses? flat, 2, 3, or 4 degrees? more?
what size pushrods will be run at The Coliseum?

Back
Top Bottom