Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

I don’t think Lime Rock would ever be more than a Truck venue. Lots of regulations and not many amenities.

A Truck race is something they are working on getting within the next couple of years, according to Kligerman at least. He’s a minority owner at LRP.

Lime Rock hosted tons of NASCAR K/N races and Modified races. They still host IMSA races. They can absolutely host a truck, Xfinity, or Indycar race.

I did not know that about Kligerman. Too bad I just moved... I was 40 minutes away from the track. Now I'm 33.5 hours away or something like that 🤣

Lime Rock hosted tons of NASCAR K/N races and Modified races. They still host IMSA races. They can absolutely host a truck, Xfinity, or Indycar race.

I did not know that about Kligerman. Too bad I just moved... I was 40 minutes away from the track. Now I'm 33.5 hours away or something like that 🤣
Xfinity might not be bad either but I don’t think the infrastructure is there for a full Cup crowd and the hospitality the series requires for sponsors and all. Might be some safety upgrades they’ll have to make too if they want a national series race. I think that’s a factor in why they no longer have prototype racing and are never really considered for Indy.

If they get a Truck race that would be cool though, it’s a badass bull ring of a road course for sure.

Xfinity might not be bad either but I don’t think the infrastructure is there for a full Cup crowd and the hospitality the series requires for sponsors and all. Might be some safety upgrades they’ll have to make too if they want a national series race. I think that’s a factor in why they no longer have prototype racing and are never really considered for Indy.

If they get a Truck race that would be cool though, it’s a badass bull ring of a road course for sure.
I loved it on Iracing even if I'm a piss poor road racer

I have no objections to Lime Rock but before the Trucks go somewhere new, I'd prefer to see them return to Canadian Tire. That place always puts on a good show.

“This is like a festival atmosphere,” actor and pace car driver Ryan Phillippe said. “What’s going on outside with the concerts, and inside, it feels like way more than just a race for me.”

For those keeping score, that’s three lost dates in the Northeast corridor in a span of just four years. But the bleeding may stop.

“Given where we are, there just has never been any kind of discussion about us losing a race,” Dover President Mike Tatoian said. “I have no reason to believe we will not be racing here for a long period of time.”

If there has never been discussion about losing a race how did they lose one?
This probably had something to do with it

Dover’s attendance rebound following two years of pandemic restrictions — and shrinking turnout for more than a decade even before 2020 — was the boost the track needed in its first race under new management.

It felt like the best Dover crowd I can recall in 10 years. I think going to 1 date did help them

After the success of the Miami Grand Prix, NASCAR really needs to try a street course race.

Baltimore would be a perfect venue if Dover ends up closing down.

After the success of the Miami Grand Prix, NASCAR really needs to try a street course race.

I'd wait a year or two to see how successful that is. It's always going to have the most bang at the first one. How much of a drop off after that shows what the real expectation is.

That's an apples to oranges comparison bud and you know that.

I'm sure a majority of people who went to the Miami F1 race (and most F1 races in general) want to flaunt wealth or attend for the spectacle of it. That's not going to happen should NASCAR ever visit any city. I also see a lot of attributes that make attending a NASCAR race not present in a street course setting. First there'd be no camping. Second, parking/tailgating would be very limited unless they make a course with a big empty stadium parking lot nearby. Third, I highly doubt the host city would let fans bring in alcohol as is the norm at most other tracks... probably don't want rednecks walking drunk around a city after the race. I just don't see any of this jiving with the NASCAR fan base. Now people say "well attendance doesn't matter". It doesn't- TV matters. But if you're a host city and you're willing to essentially shutdown your downtown for a week to host a NASCAR race they're gonna want tax revenue in the millions of $$$ and every hotel within the county booked.

That's an apples to oranges comparison bud and you know that.

I'm sure a majority of people who went to the Miami F1 race (and most F1 races in general) want to flaunt wealth or attend for the spectacle of it. That's not going to happen should NASCAR ever visit any city. I also see a lot of attributes that make attending a NASCAR race not present in a street course setting. First there'd be no camping. Second, parking/tailgating would be very limited unless they make a course with a big empty stadium parking lot nearby. Third, I highly doubt the host city would let fans bring in alcohol as is the norm at most other tracks... probably don't want rednecks walking drunk around a city after the race. I just don't see any of this jiving with the NASCAR fan base. Now people say "well attendance doesn't matter". It doesn't- TV matters. But if you're a host city and you're willing to essentially shutdown your downtown for a week to host a NASCAR race they're gonna want tax revenue in the millions of $$$ and every hotel within the county booked.
Have you ever been to an IndyCar or IMSA street race? They’re all spectacles.

You’re talking about how a street race won’t work because it can’t cater to a 50+ “redneck” fanbase. The entire point is that it would be an entirely different fanbase.

When IndyCar went to Baltimore, that place was packed. People who never went to a race went there just for the spectacle, all people knew about it was that it was the talk of the town and they just had to go see what the spectacle was about.

It’s a spectacle downtown, like the LA Coliseum race. It’s a big ass party everyone is talking about. It’s a show. And it attracts a whole new crowd.

Why would Dover close? Attendance was better in 2022. Baltimore already had a street race and they didn’t wanna bring IndyCar back.

And it attracts a whole new crowd.
Does it retain them? Does the sport gain new fans? We keep hearing how TV ratings are more important to income than on-site attendance. Do these spectacle-lovers turn on the set next week when the race is in Texas or Mid-Ohio?

Thanks.

I agree, but I think NASCAR is watching the Xfinity event in Portland next month. If that track shows potential, that is where Cup will go to penetrate the Pacific Northwest....if it doesn't, I am thinking a street race in this region. Interesting proposition....Dump money into Portland to get it NASCAR ready or go street course racing.....I think this area would support either.

I agree, but I think NASCAR is watching the Xfinity event in Portland next month. If that track shows potential, that is where Cup will go to penetrate the Pacific Northwest....if it doesn't, I am thinking a street race in this region. Interesting proposition....Dump money into Portland to get it NASCAR ready or go street course racing.....I think this area would support either.

Portland has potential. I think a street race in Denver would have potential too.

Portland has potential.
What do you think NASCAR will want/need to go there with Cup? It's been years since I have been there. Broadcast booth used to be refurbished cargo containers. Fun track. Nice location. Has that place ever been resurfaced?

It's not reasonable compared to other Truck/Xfinity tickets. A number of tracks have Cup tickets that start at $50 or less. $50 can get you a crap seat at the Indy 500 ffs.
You have 200,000 seats at Indy probably 50,000 at Gateway. 50 Bucks is reasonable for an Adult when he can bring his child 12 and under for free. Hell you can do the entire weekend Cup and Trucks for 118 bucks. Still one of the most cost friendly Professional sports in the country

It's interesting that Steve O'Donnell said that this year it has been 75% for the coliseum and 50% at the other tracks attendances are new fans attending

You have 200,000 seats at Indy probably 50,000 at Gateway. 50 Bucks is reasonable for an Adult when he can bring his child 12 and under for free. Hell you can do the entire weekend Cup and Trucks for 118 bucks. Still one of the most cost friendly Professional sports in the country

LOL. I could go to any baseball game in the country today (a Saturday) for $15 a person or less (minus Fenway and the Yanks). Even nfl you got a 50/50 shot of getting a cheap sheet for under $50.

LOL. I could go to any baseball game in the country today (a Saturday) for $15 a person or less (minus Fenway and the Yanks). Even nfl you got a 50/50 shot of getting a cheap sheet for under $50.
They play a million games a year. Apples and Oranges. If you get in to a NFL game for 50 let me know the ticket source and what their record is.

Chicago Bears tickets haven’t been $50 since the mid 80’s and that’s even when they suck it’s still upwards of 75 plus to get in on a bad seat

I always thought NASCAR/IndyCar tickets are ridiculously cheap compared to other racing series.
MotoGP Sunday grandstand tickets at Sachsenring start at €156.

Back
Top Bottom