Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

Seriously why are some people still kicking the Chicago dead horse? I mean Nascar left a perfectly good track (maintenance-wise) for a reason. Racing was ok, not stellar, Chicago isn't known as a motorsports mecca, it's an hour from downtown so it doesn't pull from that market well, there's already more than enough 1.5 milers on the schedule, its close to 3 other tracks on the schedule (Indy, Road America and Michigan).

IMO Chicagoland killed themselves with greed making fans buy season tickets the first years. It's no different than Kentucky putting on a race the 1st year knowing they'd have huge traffic problems, so big that some fans weren't even able to make it to the race. You shoot yourself in the foot the 1st few years fans don't forget......

Seriously why are some people still kicking the Chicago dead horse? I mean Nascar left a perfectly good track (maintenance-wise) for a reason. Racing was ok, not stellar, Chicago isn't known as a motorsports mecca, it's an hour from downtown so it doesn't pull from that market well, there's already more than enough 1.5 milers on the schedule, its close to 3 other tracks on the schedule (Indy, Road America and Michigan).

IMO Chicagoland killed themselves with greed making fans buy season tickets the first years. It's no different than Kentucky putting on a race the 1st year knowing they'd have huge traffic problems, so big that some fans weren't even able to make it to the race. You shoot yourself in the foot the 1st few years fans don't forget......

Why? Because NASCAR is interested in the Chicago market.

NASCAR is more interested in a street race. I think people are oblivious to that.

Also Chicago is not “close” to Indy, Road America, Michigan.

Why? Because NASCAR is interested in the Chicago market.

NASCAR is more interested in a street race. I think people are oblivious to that.

Also Chicago is not “close” to Indy, Road America, Michigan.

Chicagoland is 3.5 hrs to RA, 3 hrs to Indy and and 4 hrs to Michigan. That's pretty close considering the major metro area of Chicago has to travel an hr just to get to "their home track". You do realize that most people in Northern IL and Southern WI drive approx. 3 hrs or more north several times a summer to cabins? (Don't get me started on the FIB's in the north woods lol). Driving 3-4 hours to go see a race is nothing.

Where do you think these fans are coming from? In reality most are probably closer one of the other 3 tracks listed than Chicagoland.

ISC is no more
And how exactly is the people in charge any different? It’s a private company with the same people as ISC. It’s all overly technical
Chicagoland is 3.5 hrs to RA, 3 hrs to Indy and and 4 hrs to Michigan. That's pretty close considering the major metro area of Chicago has to travel an hr just to get to "their home track". You do realize that most people in Northern IL and Southern WI drive approx. 3 hrs or more north several times a summer to cabins? (Don't get me started on the FIB's in the north woods lol). Driving 3-4 hours to go see a race is nothing.

Where do you think these fans are coming from? In reality most are probably closer one of the other 3 tracks listed than Chicagoland.
Completely different states

Why did Adam Stern post a rumor about NASCAR wanting a street course in Chicago? Maybe look it up for yourself

Again, Chicagoland is just a chess piece for NASCARs interest in the Chicago market

Again, this is Adam Stern. It means all options are on the table for NASCAR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did Adam Stern post a rumor about NASCAR wanting a street course in Chicago? Maybe look it up for yourself

Again, Chicagoland is just a chess piece for NASCARs interest in the Chicago market
Seems to be on the back burner at present. There are way too many cooks in the kitchen when you have to get government involved.

Seems to be on the back burner at present. There are way too many cooks in the kitchen when you have to get government involved.

Source? They didn’t announce World Wide Technology until September of last year.

I didnt call you a dumbass, I cant comment of the lazy part.

Yes the business is of NASCAR (aka who bought out ISC and their shareholders) is different, but the France family (Ben Kennedy, etc) is still in charge

Would you guys rather have the Cup series do a Chicago street race, or return to Joliet if they are going to return to the Chicago area?

I personally would prefer the oval. But I could see the street race being very cool.

Actually it's a whole hatred of anything Northern IL/Chicago period. But that another story for another thread......

Nobody is forcing a gun to your head to watch or attend lol. A street race could bring in new fans, and is a different demographic than that RC there in WI

Especially one as crooked as Chicago/IL.......
Yep like most politicians if they can't get a line on some good graff or corruption they aren't going to go for it. I think Penske was able to get Detroit because the city was mostly cratered economically and his headquarters were there.

Reality as I see it for Chicago is if anything it will be a street race. They could have dusted off Chicagoland a long time ago, but instead they have been leasing or selling property around the track I believe I read. Those aren't healthy signs. The web page is dead for the last year and a half, twitter is hit or miss advertising other Nascar races. It has all of the symptoms of a tits up situation. Nascar doesn't have to fool around these days IMO, they can go a lot of places that want a track in a market that isn't saturated.

They’ll never be a street race here. Good luck dealing with city government who are also in process of losing the Chicago Bears to the suburb of Arlington Heights. I wanted to believe the Chicagoland Speedway rumor but they lost me when they said the track is come back at the expense of a Phoenix race

Does anyone actually see NASCAR adding another new track to the schedule in the next 3 years besides maybe giving Chicagoland or the Chicago market some thought (which isn’t new)?

Isn't it about time they release this dag gone schedule?
I made reservations for Atlanta next year based on what some internet expert predicted.
Bristol boisteriously stated the spring dirt race would be back next year.
Has the schedule been known for awhile, unknown to the RF Gods?

Problem is its November so you only have a handful of tracks you can take it to

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
That’d be fine rotate it between Fontana, Phoenix, Homestead, Nashville and Vegas. Those are the biggest markets they go to anyway. I’d say add Texas and Atlanta to that list too but I don’t want to have internet fisticuffs this early in the morning on a holiday weekend.

One change I expect in 2023 is for the Brickyard 400 to return on the IMS oval.

I think they should take Xfinity back to the short track (IRP) and run Cup on the road course on Saturday, Xfinity at IRP Saturday night, then the Brickyard 400 on Sunday.

Not opposed to it.

Homestead was the perfect venue for the finale though.
One of my biggest gripes when the Chase / playoffs were introduced is the track sequence is based solely on the traditional schedule. NASCAR didn't rearrange the schedule so that the tougher, more challenging tracks were included. That's one reason Homestead should be moved back to the end of the season.

I think they should take Xfinity back to the short track (IRP) and run Cup on the road course on Saturday, Xfinity at IRP Saturday night, then the Brickyard 400 on Sunday.

Wouldn’t be a bad idea but Indianapolis won’t get a 2nd date unless Roger buys Pocono or World Wide Technology Raceway (Gateway). IRP/IMS combo was always the best.

Friday - ARCA/Trucks @ IRP

Saturday - IndyCar Grand Prix @ IMS RC / Xfinity @ IRP, Cup practice & qualifying

Sunday - Brickyard 400 @ IMS

Gosh I hope so. The Brickyard 400 was one of my 3 favorite races on the calendar. Hope the next gen car gets a real chance on the oval.

CUP Indy Double header, IRP on Friday Night, Indy on Sunday. SMASH HIT! Practice, qualify, race same day.

Back
Top Bottom