Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

I’m surprised it was the size of Soldier Field and not the Farmers’ Almanac that kept them from racing Chicago in early February.
It just gives ammo to those who say they are clueless, like they have to have known what the weather is like here in February. Right? My hypothesis to this was I do think they know the weather here and were going to switch the dates of the Clash and All Star Race, so All Star Race in Cali to start the season and then Clash in May at Soldier Field as an appetizer for the street race. Once they figured Soldier Field wouldn’t work and with the success of the Cars Tour at Wilkesboro, they decided to go there instead. Maybe that’s why the schedule took so long to release. That’s my theory after reading about the Soldier Field interest.

Good luck to em. I dont ever see Cup racing there again. Maybe an Xfinity/Trucks weekend.....MAYBE. SRX? ARCA?
I don't see myself making the 2.5 hour drive for SRX, ARCA, or anything less than 200 laps. If X and Truck were a double-header, that's a definite launch.

Nothing's going to happen with this anyway. They might do better trying to get a weekly series for Little Rock.

Gawds, was that Truck race that long ago? It might be the last race Dad and I saw together, or maybe Darlington that year.

It would be awesome to see a Rockingham clone built in a different location, although I recall talk about sand or something Rockingham-specific that can't be duplicated? What's the story with that?
the sand from nearby hills or beaches ( I dont know) gets caught up in the pavement and makes tires wear quicker while cars become a beast and slippery to drive.

I don't see myself making the 2.5 hour drive for SRX, ARCA, or anything less than 200 laps. If X and Truck were a double-header, that's a definite launch.

Nothing's going to happen with this anyway. They might do better trying to get a weekly series for Little Rock.

Gawds, was that Truck race that long ago? It might be the last race Dad and I saw together, or maybe Darlington that year.
oh yea think you're right on that one. an SRX/ARCA/Trucks weekend would be great. Trucks didnt do well last time or so I was led to believe, I dont remember attendance or how the event was received. Cars Tour could race there too no?

If North Wilkesboro can have a race so can Pikes Peak

North Wilkesboro is special. People were willing to go to the CARS Tour race in spite of a lack of modern facilities because it's North Wilkesboro (well, and Southern Jesus). When you walked in there, you knew you were at a piece of history and experiencing history. Previously, I had said the Inaugural Baltimore Grand Prix was the coolest event I ever attended, but North Wilkesboro eclipsed that. Man, that was a joygasm like none other for a racing fan, especially a short track guru.

PPIR doesn't have that history.

North Wilkesboro is special. People were willing to go to the CARS Tour race in spite of a lack of modern facilities because it's North Wilkesboro (well, and Southern Jesus). When you walked in there, you knew you were at a piece of history and experiencing history. Previously, I had said the Inaugural Baltimore Grand Prix was the coolest event I ever attended, but North Wilkesboro eclipsed that. Man, that was a joygasm like none other for a racing fan, especially a short track guru.

PPIR doesn't have that history.

You’re right, race em up the mountain, stage racing works perfect for the hill climb.

It would be awesome to see a Rockingham clone built in a different location, although I recall talk about sand or something Rockingham-specific that can't be duplicated? What's the story with that?
It is located in the "Sandhills" of North Carolina and the combination of the wind blowing the sand over the track and being baked by the sun would cause the track to become very slick and cause excessive wear. The track probably is probably in the top 5 to watch a race, that is until you try to get in and then out. Nightmare.

It is located in the "Sandhills" of North Carolina and the combination of the wind blowing the sand over the track and being baked by the sun would cause the track to become very slick and cause excessive wear. The track probably is probably in the top 5 to watch a race, that is until you try to get in and then out. Nightmare.
Here is the map of the sandhills

sandhills.png

What he said

Here is the map of the sandhills

View attachment 65630

Yeah, unfortunately I never got to see a race there in person, but it was one of my favorite tracks to watch on TV. I couldn't remember the story with the sand. Thanks for the info.

The racing there was incredible. I still wish Rick Mast could have held on for a win there back in '94.

Yeah, unfortunately I never got to see a race there in person, but it was one of my favorite tracks to watch on TV. I couldn't remember the story with the sand. Thanks for the info.

The racing there was incredible. I still wish Rick Mast could have held on for a win there back in '94.
The memory on you lol

The memory on you lol

Somehow, I remember a ton of stuff from the 90's. Can't remember much of anything else though lol

I think Bobby Hamilton got his first win there, '96 or '97 in the 43 car. Dale bumped him out of the lead in turn 4 in one of those races. So many great memories from Rockingham

Somehow, I remember a ton of stuff from the 90's. Can't remember much of anything else though lol

I think Bobby Hamilton got his first win there, '96 or '97 in the 43 car. Dale bumped him out of the lead in turn 4 in one of those races. So many great memories from Rockingham
Got a lot of great ones too, the most famous is Rockingham after the Daytona 500 Dust up with Cale ,Donnie and Bobby. Bobby Started on the pole, Donnie 2nd and Cale 3rd. It was electric and Donnie and Cale crashed around lap 10 and Bobby went on to win. I was 16 years old and I remember it was freezing, we had freezing rain earlier and some snow flurries. Before the race started we had to knock the ice off our seats. It was packed.

Story

The other at Rockingham was 83', Richard Petty beat Bill Elliott in a photo finish

February Rainingham in 2001, the first race after Dale died. Intermittent heavy mist / light drizzle; they threw the red not long after the Lap 3 salute and ran the majority of the race the next day.

I recall another Feb race when the fog was so heavy, they cancelled second-day qualifying on Saturday morning.

Pit crew competition in the fall.

February Rainingham in 2001, the first race after Dale died. Intermittent heavy mist / light drizzle; they threw the red not long after the Lap 3 salute and ran the majority of the race the next day.

I recall another Feb race when the fog was so heavy, they cancelled second-day qualifying on Saturday morning.

Pit crew competition in the fall.
We called it Rainingham too. Anytime I travel up 74 I turn my windshield wipers on rain or not just to feel at home

I liked Rockingham better than I did North Wilkesboro. I'd love to see it come back, but I'm not holding my breath.
Had some good races at Rockingham, I loved the tire drop off and strategy behind it. Plus it was a unique layout. I'd be elated if we got both back but I'm not going to get greedy, its great Wilkesboro is back and thats more than enough.

Had some good races at Rockingham, I loved the tire drop off and strategy behind it. Plus it was a unique layout. I'd be elated if we got both back but I'm not going to get greedy, its great Wilkesboro is back and thats more than enough.
My biggest Rockingham memories are Harry Gant losing back to back races there by a combined total of 20 inches after leading both on the white flag lap. One to Bill Elliott, the other to Neil Bonnett.

Sorry, 44 races is too many. They have too many as it is. That's a good way to burn out drivers, crews, and fans.
It's not and no they don't. I want racing every day of the week.

It's too much for you but don't ruin it for others.

Earlier this year I would have suggested killing the All Star Race, but running it at North Wilkesboro makes a ton of sense. Running the Clash at the Coliseum is fine I guess. Two exhibition races are plenty, so I hope they don't do more at any point.

38 points races and two exhibitions seems like the appropriate number to me, but I'm fine with 36. I agree that Kansas shouldn't have two races, and you can make that argument for Richmond (and a few other places) as well.

Back
Top Bottom