is chase elliot flirting with becoming a bust?

I'll say this, I like chase and want him to do well, but if he doesn't get it done and win a race next year he'll be a disappointment. Byron is coming up to cup in the same equipment and chevy is gonna have a much better car, it's not unreasonable to expect to see Byron in victory lane before Elliot. IMO Byron is a much better natural talent than anyone since Kyle Larson

Chase is developing that mental block Craven always talked about. The not knowing if he could win. Took Larson 3 years didn't it? Chase will be fine once he wins.

I just can't understand why everyone has their panties in a wad because Chase hasn't won a race...... he has been up there in the top 5 or 10 for a lot of races.
That has to show for something. He made the playoffs..... ahead of several seasoned drivers..... The kid is doing just fine..... Let him come into his own at his comfortable level..... He's watching and learning as he goes....... that's the way it should be.... not being a bull in a China shop right off the bat.... he's made some mistakes..... who didn't? Look at Ernie Irvan....he came in and won some races but pissed EVERYONE off by his driving technique.... and... in the end had to get up and make a public appology to his peers.... that had to be hard to do.....

I just can't understand why everyone has their panties in a wad because Chase hasn't won a race...... he has been up there in the top 5 or 10 for a lot of races.
That has to show for something. He made the playoffs..... ahead of several seasoned drivers..... The kid is doing just fine..... Let him come into his own at his comfortable level..... He's watching and learning as he goes....... that's the way it should be.... not being a bull in a China shop right off the bat.... he's made some mistakes..... who didn't? Look at Ernie Irvan....he came in and won some races but pissed EVERYONE off by his driving technique.... and... in the end had to get up and make a public appology to his peers.... that had to be hard to do.....

That apology from Irvan is one of my earliest memories of NASCAR......

As always, I love the comments from Felix Sabates :D

Irvan issued several apologies to competitors at Stockton Speedway in the late 70’s.

A lotta’ swervin’.

Yeah, I'm finding it hilarious that this thread is still percolating near the top. Bust would be dribbling around 15 to 20, with just the occasional peak into the top 10. Nobody should seriously suggest this of a 21 year old who is finishing consistently stronger than his 7 time teammate, in a year when Hendrick cars weren't at their best.

As a Chase fan, I look forward to many years of wins and some championships.

Yeah, I'm finding it hilarious that this thread is still percolating near the top. Bust would be dribbling around 15 to 20, with just the occasional peak into the top 10. Nobody should seriously suggest this of a 21 year old who is finishing consistently stronger than his 7 time teammate, in a year when Hendrick cars weren't at their best.

As a Chase fan, I look forward to many years of wins and some championships.
Yeah......... I just don't get how folks are writing him off already....... He has had a very good year as far as what I see...... he's been in contention for wins all year long..... that's all you can ask... he's been solid and consistent.......

Yeah......... I just don't get how folks are writing him off already....... He has had a very good year as far as what I see...... he's been in contention for wins all year long..... that's all you can ask... he's been solid and consistent.......
People seem to forget, this is a 21 year old kid racing against the best stock car drivers in the world, a few of which have been doing it for almost as long as he's been alive, and he wasn't in top equipment this year. Chevy as a whole with the exception of the 42 was lacking. Jimmie freaking Johnson mustered 4 top 5s all year. Look out next year for that new #9 Camaro. This kid is gonna tear it up.

To answer the original question. NO. The guy has gone straight to the front. He keeps notching top 2 finishes. So obviously he's very competitive. He will win, no doubt.

People seem to forget, this is a 21 year old kid racing against the best stock car drivers in the world, a few of which have been doing it for almost as long as he's been alive, and he wasn't in top equipment this year. Chevy as a whole with the exception of the 42 was lacking. Jimmie freaking Johnson mustered 4 top 5s all year. Look out next year for that new #9 Camaro. This kid is gonna tear it up.

I think he will have plenty of company with GM's new car.

Bill wasn't known as a dirty driver. He has instilled some good stuff in Chase's head. But times have changed and Chase has been too polite on track. Moving hambone at Phoenix might just be a indicator of what's to come. Mess with the bull,,you know the drill.

Bill wasn't known as a dirty driver. He has instilled some good stuff in Chase's head. But times have changed and Chase has been too polite on track. Moving hambone at Phoenix might just be a indicator of what's to come. Mess with the bull,,you know the drill.
He gave Truex a pretty generous nudge after that to take 2nd also. He's got it in him. He clearly wanted it badly that day.

Nope. According who you ask bust bust bust, the next Casey Atwood!

In hambones interview I think he was shocked a new kid would do that to him, just my observation.
Truex had used up his tires and yes he wants it bad.

Gawds, is this topic still alive? .

no seriously. i forget what kinda slump chase was in when i started this thread.

but i predicted him to sneak the title when the playoffs started. i found it extremely impressive that he kept that chevy up in the top 2 or 3 for the duration of the playoffs while the 48 continued to be an also-ran. that told me a lot. i also think chase is aggressive...some say he isn't.

but....he shouldn't have won martinsville. people should stop saying this. brad smoked his boots that day and anyone who watched knows it.

young chase impressed the hell out of me this season. the win is elusive for him....and i believe he'll win 30 races max in his career . maybe a title. he belongs where he is and while he's taking forever to win and every other successful cup driver had a quicker trip to victory lane, a top-5 points finish and the consistency shown to close the season was second only to truex. what a final 10 races for chase. i'm a fan.

The "mystery" will remain throughout this entire off-season. Boy, this is gonna be a long off-season...

Back
Top Bottom