Is it Time to Mandate Air Conditioning in These Cars?

AdoubleU24

Team Owner
Currently this is an option for all race teams, and of course, due to added weight, reduced aero advantages, etc. the teams choose not to use them in their cars.

So I ask - is it time to require them? And I simply ask this with the health and safety of the drivers in mind. These guys look flat out miserable getting out of these cars on a warm day. Jimmie couldn't hardly stand up and required 3 IV's after Texas. Tony was beat after the road course win last year. Kyle looked like he was about to pass out at Indy a couple years ago. This is becoming more and more common these days. Exposing your body to 120-140+ degree temperatures for that length of time is just asking for it. I know nothing has ever happened as a result of this, but it doesn't mean it won't or can't. Seems like its only getting hotter and hotter and the cars are becoming more sealed off as time goes on.

Just putting it out there for discussion. Would it even work? Who would be in favor? Seems like something like this should take priority over the cars being too "loud".

Oh yeah.

'N speedometers 'n the switches to keep 'em from speedin' on pit road......................

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ctrp-1110-race-car-air-conditioning/

The main problem is lack of air flow UNDER the car. All the heat created by the engine/transmission/brakes is transmitted thru the floor pan into driver compartment. Before the coil-bound/bump-stop cars with the nose dragging the ground SOME air went under & thru the car. Plus they sealed up the right window. Just a freaking hot house.

:sarcasm:No, because performing under stressful conditions allows NASCAR to show what kind of athletes the drivers are.:sarcasm:

Anybody remember that recent one? As to the original topic, no. As long as the teams have the option, I see no reason for it to be mandatory. These guys (should) already know how to hydrate themselves before a race. Besices, if the car starts having electrical issues, driver cooling systems are already the first thing they turn off.

I dont see the need. They already have them through their helmet, got water, can ask for power snack bars if they're hungry etc.

I dont know what else they can have to have it easy. Self driving cars?

Absolutely not. It would be like requiring NFL players to wear long sleeves in Green Bay during the winter. Leave the option open for drivers to choose. If you can't handle the heat but also don't want increased car weight with an AC system, get into better shape. Simple.

What's next, mandating turn signals?

That's just it, it was a question for discussion. Which is the whole purpose of a message board. I'm neither for or against the idea, it's just something I've been pondering because clearly these drivers are not 100% healthy when they get out of these cars and the severe heat is being mentioned both pre and post race more today than it ever has been.

A/C?

Hell these guys have it lucky compared to back in the day when they had no power steering!

Regenerative Braking and Solar Panels to run all their accessories like Air Conditioning, water cooler w/ long drinking tube (so Jimmie isn't fiddling with it as he's ramming Junior), electronic billboard side and hood panels, electronic grill cleaner, 2020 NASCAR droid, recharger for Brad's illegal iPhone in his fire suit, Blind Spot Assist...

images

Regenerative Braking and Solar Panels to run all their accessories like Air Conditioning, water cooler w/ long drinking tube (so Jimmie isn't fiddling with it as he's ramming Junior), electronic billboard side and hood panels, electronic grill cleaner, 2020 NASCAR droid, recharger for Brad's illegal iPhone in his fire suit, Blind Spot Assist...

I hate it when Johnson rams junior

The cars also weren't as sealed off and enclosed back then as they are nowadays.

They wore shorts 'n short sleeved shirts. L'il bitty helmets 'n sunglasses.

Boxer shorts or briefs 'n hydrated with Jim Beam, Crown Royal or Johnnie Walker several days 'fore the race.

That's just it, it was a question for discussion. Which is the whole purpose of a message board. I'm neither for or against the idea, it's just something I've been pondering because clearly these drivers are not 100% healthy when they get out of these cars and the severe heat is being mentioned both pre and post race more today than it ever has been.
What sort of system? Cool suit or a more conventional automotive-based setup?

Back
Top Bottom