Is the Bristol Night Race the 4th Jewel?

They need to get rid of 1 Atlanta race and bring back the pole winner/500/Clash winner-only Clash race @ Daytona the night before the Super Bowl to kick off Speedweeks.

I would say that the the LA Coliseum deserves a regular season race anyway until a new Auto Club Speedway short track can be built.

I didn't enjoy the "Busch Crash," as Mike Joy called it. Just tore up too many cars in that race every year. But I do think Los Angeles should be a regular-season race. Especially since it's still 50/50 as to whether Auto Club even gets built. Doubt is increasing by the day.

I really don't like the ARCA race being right before the Xfinity race, and after the Truck Series race, when drivers have to run that race to get approval. It should be the week before, even if there's no Busch Clash.

ANd let me add to my thoughts on Los Angeles. I think they should race at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum instead of in Fontana anyway.

I'll take your word; I don't look at Fox outside races..

Some of the NFL games I've seen on Fox, they've promoted the Los Angeles race heavily with no mention of the Daytona 500.

When FS1 replaced SPEED, the Daytona 500 became "just another race." The nightly primetime coverage of Daytona Speedweeks was replaced with basketbore. And now that there's virtually no on-track extracurriculars before the qualifiers and Duels, it's gotten even worse.

It's a sharp contrast to NBC. Nashville was NBC's first race, but Chicago was the prized broadcast for NBC and NBC made sure of it. They tied Chicago into their promotion of the Nashville race. They pushed Nashville hard, but continued to push Chicago as The BFD.

Eere÷$+p
It's a <30 year old race that has produced few memorable moments and whose prestige is derived entirely from races that happened in entirely different cars.

Indy is important but it's not a Crown Jewel for NASCAR. I don't discount that winning there is important for drivers, the Indy 500 is one of the biggest motorsports events in the world and standing in the same victory lane as some of the best wheelmen of all time is a tremendous honor, but it's not a Crown Jewel for NASCAR. The Brickyard 400's prestige is derived entirely from IndyCar.
I think the most Nascar memorial moment at Indianapolis was that time when they had a caution for the released ballons.

I didn't enjoy the "Busch Crash," as Mike Joy called it. Just tore up too many cars in that race every year. But I do think Los Angeles should be a regular-season race. Especially since it's still 50/50 as to whether Auto Club even gets built. Doubt is increasing by the day.

I really don't like the ARCA race being right before the Xfinity race, and after the Truck Series race, when drivers have to run that race to get approval. It should be the week before, even if there's no Busch Clash.

ANd let me add to my thoughts on Los Angeles. I think they should race at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum instead of in Fontana anyway.

They are going to crash cars no matter what in the Clash so they might as make it into a Daytona exhibition race and incentivize pole winners, Daytona 500 winners, Clash winners only.

For example:

Friday - Clash practice (30 minutes) and qualifying draw
Saturday - ARCA 200 & Clash @ Daytona (60 laps)
Sunday - OFF SUPER BOWL OFF
Monday - OFF
Tuesday - Daytona 500 practice (1 hour)
Wednesday - IROC @ Daytona, Daytona 500 qualifying
Thursday - Duel 150 Races
Friday - Truck Series 250, Daytona 500 practice (1 hour)
Saturday - Xfinity 300, Daytona 500 final practice (1 hour)
Sunday - Daytona 500

week after that

Friday - LA Coliseum Cup practice (1 hour), NASCAR Mexico Series practice
Saturday - Cup qualifying & heats/LCQ (29-40), NASCAR Mexico Series 150 qualifying & race
Sunday - LA Coliseum 500 (28 cars)

No one would be there to watch, including TV.

Some of the NFL games I've seen on Fox, they've promoted the Los Angeles race heavily with no mention of the Daytona 500.

When FS1 replaced SPEED, the Daytona 500 became "just another race." The nightly primetime coverage of Daytona Speedweeks was replaced with basketbore. And now that there's virtually no on-track extracurriculars before the qualifiers and Duels, it's gotten even worse.

It's a sharp contrast to NBC. Nashville was NBC's first race, but Chicago was the prized broadcast for NBC and NBC made sure of it. They tied Chicago into their promotion of the Nashville race. They pushed Nashville hard, but continued to push Chicago as The BFD.

The simple solution is to bring back the Clash @ Daytona on Saturday night w/ARCA before the Super Bowl Sunday and build up Daytona Speedweeks again. Perhaps Ray Evernham & IROC can hold a race midweek or something as well. Maybe try to get Stadium Super Trucks for a couple days before the 500 in the afternoon with a makeshift ramp course.

Also country acts like Lainey Wilson & Taylor Swift would be a good look for the 500 race even if you’re a rebel male.

I'd prefer to not see a points race at any track that can't run a 36- to 40-car field, and doesn't have pit road capacity for green flag stops. This was one of my complaints regarding Bristol dirt. This is the top tier of stock car racing; don't dumb it down.

Eere÷$+p

I think the most Nascar memorial moment at Indianapolis was that time when they had a caution for the released ballons.
Nah, kissing the bircks and then Tiregate, then Tony winning. He was going to celebrate his way, and damn what the track, network, or NASCAR had scheduled.

I'd prefer to not see a points race at any track that can't run a 36- to 40-car field, and doesn't have pit road capacity for green flag stops. This was one of my complaints regarding Bristol dirt. This is the top tier of stock car racing; don't dumb it down.

Racing in Downtown Los Angeles trumps any concerns about pit stops for me. I'd rather deal with that than race over an hour away from Los Angeles.

Racing in Downtown Los Angeles trumps any concerns about pit stops for me. I'd rather deal with that than race over an hour away from Los Angeles.

I think a LA Coliseum regular season race has potential to be another Madhouse like Bristol & Martinsville if they could have a 500 lap race with 28-32 cars. Have eliminations 29-44 the day before.

I think a LA Coliseum regular season race has potential to be another Madhouse like Bristol & Martinsville if they could have a 500 lap race with 28-32 cars. Have eliminations 29-44 the day before.
I have a feeling this event won’t be renewed too much longer if at all.

Los Angeles has the Olympic Summer Games in 2028.

I can't believe I'm saying this, as much as I dislike the layout, but then run at Long Beach. I'd rather see that than a product that's neutered to fit a facility and gives Angelenos a false impression of what the rest of the Cup season looks like. The NFL doesn't play flag football in Europe. The NBA doesn't play half-court at the All-Star game.

Hell, they can't even get the correct starting time on the tickets!

I have a feeling this event won’t be renewed too much longer if at all.

Los Angeles has the Olympic Summer Games in 2028.

NASCAR is making a big mistake hitching their britches to a temporary event. They should make it permanent & move to a temporary venue like the Daytona Road Course or Sonoma for 2028.

It’s probably been a decade since I saw the analysis but I remember reading a piece about how the Brickyard was the race with single smallest variance between average race finish position and average championship finish position, and has a pretty remarkable record of drivers winning both the Brickyard and the Cup title in the same season. I think that really spoke towards how much effort the teams and drivers put towards the race and the kind of technical and driving challenge it presents.

European sports coverage isn't commercialized like American coverage. We pay more money, A LOT more, to watch sports and get bombarded with commercial
I would argue against that. We have pretty much no coverage of any major sport on Free-TV.
There are several NFL games on broadcast networks in the states every week, we get a total of three Bundesliga games per season with the rest being on Sky and DAZN.

I would argue against that. We have pretty much no coverage of any major sport on Free-TV.
There are several NFL games on broadcast networks in the states every week, we get a total of three Bundesliga games per season with the rest being on Sky and DAZN.

I’ve seen international sports feeds. Sure you pay for it, but your sports are aired without interruption. We pay twice as much for cable as the rest of the industrialized world and get absolutely bombarded with commercials.

And most NASCAR races will be on cable beginning 2025. Only 1/4 of the schedule will be on OTA TV.

Fox execs even put something out last month about the importance of sports on OTA TV and how being in linear cable is basically a death sentence yet that’s where they’re putting NASCAR.

I’ve seen international sports feeds. Sure you pay for it, but your sports are aired without interruption. We pay twice as much for cable as the rest of the industrialized world and get absolutely bombarded with commercials.

And most NASCAR races will be on cable beginning 2025. Only 1/4 of the schedule will be on OTA TV.

Fox execs even put something out last month about the importance of sports on OTA TV and how being in linear cable is basically a death sentence yet that’s where they’re putting NASCAR.
I agree that reducing the number of races on broadcast TV from 20 to 9 isn't helpful. Wo knows if cable is still a thing by 2031.

We never had pay-TV but I believe Pay-TV channels in this country indeed show their programming without commercial breaks.
When it comes to private free-TV channels the amount of commercials is comparable to American networks. RTL F1 telecasts resembled Fox NASCAR telecasts a lot.

I agree that reducing the number of races on broadcast TV from 20 to 9 isn't helpful. Wo knows if cable is still a thing by 2031.

We never had pay-TV but I believe Pay-TV channels in this country indeed show their programming without commercial breaks.
When it comes to private free-TV channels the amount of commercials is comparable to American networks. RTL F1 telecasts resembled Fox NASCAR telecasts a lot.

The average price of cable TV in the United States is $217.42. From what I've read, it's nowhere close to that in European nations.

The average price of cable TV in the United States is $217.42. From what I've read, it's nowhere close to that in European nations.
Well that's true, at least in my country.
Even if you wanted to buy all available sports packages on Sky, DAZN and Amazon it should be "only" around €100.
I'm actually surprised there are still more than 70 million households with cable in the states when costs are that high.

Well that's true, at least in my country.
Even if you wanted to buy all available sports packages on Sky, DAZN and Amazon it should be "only" around €100.
I'm actually surprised there are still more than 70 million households with cable in the states when costs are that high.

Most Americans don’t realize that we’re getting scammed.

The American version of capitalism is a giant ponzi scheme.

Back
Top Bottom