Jeff Gordon - Do or Die

Top 5's, top 10's?

NASCAR Rule Book breaks ties by comparing drivers’ best finishes: If wins are equal, then seconds, thirds etc. come into play. Currently JG and JL both have 2 Top 5s JL has 7 Top 10s to JGs 6 Top 10s. You'd have to break it down to exactly what those finish's where.....Homework Anyone???

I like the guy, hell I've watched this guy race since day 1 back in November of 92. When my guy wasn't gonna win I usually rooted for Jeff but man, i dunno. It ain't lookin good for the "Wonderboy". I know he's had alot of bad luck this season but I'm also starting to think that having that hot wife & two daughters has caused him to lose some of his edge. He just ain't the Jeff Gordon he was years ago, seems 07 will be his last great season...

I like the guy, hell I've watched this guy race since day 1 back in November of 92. When my guy wasn't gonna win I usually rooted for Jeff but man, i dunno. It ain't lookin good for the "Wonderboy". I know he's had alot of bad luck this season but I'm also starting to think that having that hot wife & two daughters has caused him to lose some of his edge. He just ain't the Jeff Gordon he was years ago, seems 07 will be his last great season...
I said this above, Listen to his incar radio for a couple of races and get back to us with an unbiased opinion.

There is no denying that as drivers get older their performance seems to decline....however, we have seen flashes of the old Gordon over the last couple years and I really think that we may see a lot more of it over the next few races.

I also understand that racing is a "what have you done for me lately" kinda sport....Gordon won three last year and finished in the top 10 in points...that is a year a lot of drivers would kill to have, yet, he has that year and we say he is washed up.

I do not know if he will make the chase, I think he is a long shot...however, I do look for him to rattle off a couple wins before the season is over..the car/driver performance has been there all year, circumstances has not been on the 24 side...now before anybody says "yeah, but he has made mistakes this year too..." yeah I understand it, but more time than not the things that has hindered this year have not been of his making.

I said this above, Listen to his incar radio for a couple of races and get back to us with an unbiased opinion.

Thank you but I don't need to listen to anything, I wrote what I thought at the time, I don't read everyone else's thoughts before posting. Just based on what i've seen out of Jeff the past few seasons, what I wrote is what I think. Why don't you post his radio chatter on here for us so to make it easier for us all to make unbiased opinions...

He has a boy and girl;)

There is no denying that as drivers get older their performance seems to decline....however, we have seen flashes of the old Gordon over the last couple years and I really think that we may see a lot more of it over the next few races.

I also understand that racing is a "what have you done for me lately" kinda sport....Gordon won three last year and finished in the top 10 in points...that is a year a lot of drivers would kill to have, yet, he has that year and we say he is washed up.

I really don't think anyone is saying Jeff is 'all washed up' . He is among the top drivers in an elite field of 43 , all of whom are capable of winning on any given day . I have seen Terry Labonte win a championship when people said he was 'all washed up ' and this year Junior is having the year that almost noone expected . Even if he never wins another race , he is still a top driver .That used to mean something.

I do not know if he will make the chase, I think he is a long shot...however, I do look for him to rattle off a couple wins before the season is over..the car/driver performance has been there all year, circumstances has not been on the 24 side...now before anybody says "yeah, but he has made mistakes this year too..." yeah I understand it, but more time than not the things that has hindered this year have not been of his making.
People use to say John Force was washed up and needed to retire, and then the next year he won his 15th Funny Car World Championship.

This thread turned out to be too funny. Seriously, people picking him to be outside the top 10 of drivers. The points system isn't a rank of how good of a driver someone is, it's a measure of circumstances more than anything. These guys are all good. I know everyone's watching the same season as me and you can't be blind to the lack of luck on JG's side. He's one of the best of all time and continues to be. Easily he could rattle off enough wins to take a Chase spot IMO.

With 6 of the Top Ten Qualifiers being Hendrick equipment this week I'm calling in Team Orders JG Wins at any cost...........anyone have Mr. Hendrick's number handy?

With 6 of the Top Ten Qualifiers being Hendrick equipment this week I'm calling in Team Orders JG Wins at any cost...........anyone have Mr. Hendrick's number handy?

As we discovered back in February, teammates helping teammates win races doesn't go over all to well around here ;)

I really don't think anyone is saying Jeff is 'all washed up' . He is among the top drivers in an elite field of 43 , all of whom are capable of winning on any given day . I have seen Terry Labonte win a championship when people said he was 'all washed up ' and this year Junior is having the year that almost noone expected . Even if he never wins another race , he is still a top driver .That used to mean something.

I agree with everything you said...but others has stated he isn't one of the top 15 drivers in the sport and such....that is what I had in mind when I wrote that. Lol

Jeff must have one of them fancy Sears and Roebuck radios for this race. He is running good and in the top 10.

7 races until the Chase. Jeff has won multiple races at every upcoming track. Odds are against him but someone is going to win each of these next several races. The 24 is plenty capable of snagging a couple of wins.

7 races until the Chase. Jeff has won multiple races at every upcoming track. Odds are against him but someone is going to win each of these next several races. The 24 is plenty capable of snagging a couple of wins.

Yeah, there is not a bad track for the 24 left out of the bunch. As you say, the team and he are more than capable of grabbing at least one win in the next 7. If he can grab one win and stay consistent...you never know. Two wins would be great...but just one and some consistent top 10 or top 5 finishes...and he may just get himself in.

I think he may get a couple, problem is it'll take a few more than likely to get him in. Kyle Busch is ahead of him and I'm pretty confident he'll strike again before the Chase. Kasey Kahne is already sitting on 2 wins so that means Jeff would have to get 2 wins and make up the 20+ points between them or 3 to get in. I just don't see that happening. I hope I'm wrong though for all us 24 fans.

Yeah, there is not a bad track for the 24 left out of the bunch. As you say, the team and he are more than capable of grabbing at least one win in the next 7. If he can grab one win and stay consistent...you never know. Two wins would be great...but just one and some consistent top 10 or top 5 finishes...and he may just get himself in.

He could do it with one win. A lot of ifs are involved.

Edwards can't win, and he isn't looking like he will.
Gordon needs to win a race, pass Logano, Newman and finally Kyle Busch currently 21 points ahead (plus they can't win either).

It could happen, but two wins is the only way he can truly control his destiny.

I think it'll be tough for the #24 from here to the chase. The 3 or 4 point leaders are going to get very agressive as they need wins - not points - to maintain their seeding when the chase starts. Kenseth, Biffle and Earnhardt especially.

The points gap between tenth and eleventh has become a bit of an obstacle . I don't think the others can catch guys like Truex and Bowyer . That leaves Carl ,Ryan , Kyle and Jeff , fighting for only one spot .The prospect of seeing three of them not making the chase is amazing .

At this point Jeff would half to win 3 races to get a Wildcard spot, the chances of him winning 3 races versus Kahne winning one more, I'll go with Kahne getting another victory. Jeff doesn't make the Chase, he is in way too big of a hole.

At this point Jeff would half to win 3 races to get a Wildcard spot, the chances of him winning 3 races versus Kahne winning one more, I'll go with Kahne getting another victory. Jeff doesn't make the Chase, he is in way too big of a hole.

He could get in with no wins, which is unlikely, of course. 2 wins would likely be plenty but we really don't know. That's why they run the races.

Gaining close to 100 points on the drivers in the Top Ten would be awful tuff at this stage JG's Best Hope Is Knocking off some W's and he's been known to do that on occasion ;)

Jeffs always got a shot you can never count him out. My favorite Nascar driver of all time and a sure Hall of Famer for what he's done for the sport. He's not just done yet, he's always got some tricks up his sleeve.

Jeffs always got a shot you can never count him out. My favorite Nascar driver of all time and a sure Hall of Famer for what he's done for the sport. He's not just done yet, he's always got some tricks up his sleeve.
Welcome to the forum Jeff85 , we can always use another Gordon fan ...Well maybe not , but your comments and postings will be appreciated anyway. :D

That's why they run the races. I still think it's going to take another win. Maybe get 2 more wins over the next 5 just to be certain.

Gaining close to 100 points on the drivers in the Top Ten would be awful tuff at this stage JG's Best Hope Is Knocking off some W's and he's been known to do that on occasion ;)

I feel Pretty dad burn good about calling this :) and FIVE more races to Lock it in! WTG JG

I should have looked at the standing before the reset. I think the top 12 in points got in, just like last year.

lol nice. I too thought someone would win their way in, but it turned into a very strange ending indeed.
I only wish that I had posted a Kyle Bush - Do or Die thread back then. That's why I like the Bold Prediction thread. Its fun to see how these things turn out.

I only wish that I had posted a Kyle Bush - Do or Die thread back then. That's why I like the Bold Prediction thread. Its fun to see how these things turn out.

I thought Kyle would dominate Richmond. The rain seemed to mix everything up pretty good. Kyle's in car earlier had him coming unraveled early, so I'm not sure he was giving Rogers the usual good info. The guy just cracks like an egg under pressure.

I thought Kyle would dominate Richmond. The rain seemed to mix everything up pretty good. Kyle's in car earlier had him coming unraveled early, so I'm not sure he was giving Rogers the usual good info. The guy just cracks like an egg under pressure.
I heard that he was on Directv's Hot Pass channel this past weekend and people that watched said basically the same thing.

I'll tell you one thing...just like folks said weeks ago in this thread....that Gordon guy sure has lost his fire.....

Back
Top Bottom