Jeff Gordon - Do or Die

Gordon bringing back the stache: #24-Jeff Gordon thinks he can rekindle some of his old on-track magic that made him a four-time champion when the Chase for the Sprint Cup begins this weekend at Chicagoland Speedway. Why not? He's already taken one step to turn back the clock. Gordon announced Sunday that he would bring back the absurdly comical mustache he donned in the early 1990s as a young 21-year-old rookie in the NASCAR's premier series. On Twitter, Gordon's account said: "So as many of u may have heard, I made a statement that if we made the Chase I wud bring back the stache. I'm a man of my word."(USA Today)(9-10-2012)

Gordon bringing back the stache: #24-Jeff Gordon thinks he can rekindle some of his old on-track magic that made him a four-time champion when the Chase for the Sprint Cup begins this weekend at Chicagoland Speedway. Why not? He's already taken one step to turn back the clock. Gordon announced Sunday that he would bring back the absurdly comical mustache he donned in the early 1990s as a young 21-year-old rookie in the NASCAR's premier series. On Twitter, Gordon's account said: "So as many of u may have heard, I made a statement that if we made the Chase I wud bring back the stache. I'm a man of my word."(USA Today)(9-10-2012)

Maybe we'll get lucky and Ray will get nostalgic and jump on the box too;)

Jeff Gordon did so he's going to sport the stache. Which one should he grow?

JG_stache_medium.jpg

Pic courtesy of sbnation.

The white sox are growing staches. Some of them anyhow. I think it's kinda cool.

No photos but a ZZ top one with the beard would be cool.

Did anyone catch what Gustafson said when they cut the rear sway bar loose on that stop during the Richmond race? "OK, now you're like everyone else". I took that to mean Gustafson was the only HMS cc who chose to use a rear sway bar at Richmond, and it almost cost Jeff bigtime. One of the TV CC's said that as the track changes going into the night, the bar can really upset the car. I guess that's what we saw happen to Jeff once the race was delayed. Knowing this, I wonder why Alan decided to use it Saturday?

.. Knowing this, I wonder why Alan decided to use it Saturday?

Maybe ,like Kyle's crew chief , Alan was trying to put it all on the line and not be conservative in going for the win. Don't know , but he seemed quick to reverse the mistake . Lucky that he had the time . Kyles crew didn't get a chance to fix their mistake.Not many second chances in racing.

Did anyone catch what Gustafson said when they cut the rear sway bar loose on that stop during the Richmond race? "OK, now you're like everyone else". I took that to mean Gustafson was the only HMS cc who chose to use a rear sway bar at Richmond, and it almost cost Jeff bigtime. One of the TV CC's said that as the track changes going into the night, the bar can really upset the car. I guess that's what we saw happen to Jeff once the race was delayed. Knowing this, I wonder why Alan decided to use it Saturday?

Wasn't it an impound race?

Over the past 12 races the 24 has finished 6th or better 9 times (including top 3 finishes in 4 of the last 6) and gone from 22nd to 12th in points despite a blown engine at MIS and hitting that oil at WG. Kind of strange for a team with a driver who is washed up and no longer has any passion for driving. :D

Over the past 12 races the 24 has finished 6th or better 9 times (including top 3 finishes in 4 of the last 6) and gone from 22nd to 12th in points despite a blown engine at MIS and hitting that oil at WG. Kind of strange for a team with a driver who is washed up and no longer has any passion for driving. :D

Jeff is doing OK, until you compare him to a driver who hit the oil at Watgins Glen and still finished 2nd, got intentionally wrecked at Bristol, and still scored more points over the past 12 races than Jeff.

I'm just saying. :cool:

Maybe ,like Kyle's crew chief , Alan was trying to put it all on the line and not be conservative in going for the win. Don't know , but he seemed quick to reverse the mistake . Lucky that he had the time . Kyles crew didn't get a chance to fix their mistake.Not many second chances in racing.

Sometimes it pays to zig when others zag.

Jeff is doing OK, until you compare him to a driver who hit the oil at Watgins Glen and still finished 2nd, got intentionally wrecked at Bristol, and still scored more points over the past 12 races than Jeff.

I'm just saying. :cool:

Which driver is that FB? o_O

Seriously. If Kevin Harvick missed the chase, this would be the best chase ever. Being that Carl and Kyle aren't in that is. Kevin could be a zombie and have decent finishes. But Im just saying, if kevin had mist it too, my mind would have been BLOWN.

Which driver is that FB? o_O

Seriously. If Kevin Harvick missed the chase, this would be the best chase ever. Being that Carl and Kyle aren't in that is. Kevin could be a zombie and have decent finishes. But Im just saying, if kevin had mist it too, my mind would have been BLOWN.

Oddly enough, if Kevin fell out of the top 10, Kyle would be in the chase.

Some dude named Jimmie Johnson came from further back to take the thing so I still think that it's entirely possible. What a comeback story that would be. Barely making the Chase & wrecking out of the first only to come back and contend. Likely? No. Neither was Tony taking five of these things last year.

Some dude named Jimmie Johnson came from further back to take the thing so I still think that it's entirely possible. What a comeback story that would be. Barely making the Chase & wrecking out of the first only to come back and contend. Likely? No. Neither was Tony taking five of these things last year.

Exactly, it sure isn't likely, but it can be done. I would be less optimistic if he didn't have a good car yesterday...but he was on his way to a solid top 5 yesterday when it all went haywire.

Jeff isn't out of it unless someone dominates the chase, and I don't see that happening this year. You can be sure they wont give up, and Jeff will race hard.

It always astounds me when little things kill guys in the chase. Matt's shock, Jeff's throttle spring, Kyle had an improperly in stalled hyme joint and a filter wrapper cost him good finishes. It's almost as if people are overworked and making mistakes.

I can almost picture some guy on the 17 team tightening a shock only to be called away for something else. When he gets back to finish the job, he misses something.

I think Jeff can part with the Willie Nelson mustache now. That doesn't means he is out, but it is a good time to stop the silly stuff.

I think Jeff can part with the Willie Nelson mustache now. That doesn't means he is out, but it is a good time to stop the silly stuff.

He's got 9 races to make up 47 points, that's not going to happen.

FWIW my 'stache turned 46 this month.

Anyone counting Jeff Gordon out yet? Can he come back from his 35th place finish yesterday?
Sure he can if Rick will buy his parts from someplace other than U-Pullit used race car parts and his teammates dont flatten any more of his tires.

Back
Top Bottom