Jimmie Johnson asks an interesting question

lmao

A bit of an exaggeration, sure. But many IndyCar fans will tell you Phoenix could've been better last year. And, lo and behold, IndyCar is developing new bodywork for next year that will have a lot less downforce, so...:idunno:

What question did Johnson ask? The first post says Loading Tweet (which I've noticed a lot lately). I don't have a twitter account.

the first post doesn't have anything but "Loading tweet..." for me.
Any chance you're at work, school, or someplace where they may be blocking Twitter? We certainly do here at work (I'm in the IT department). You don't need a Twitter account, but you do need to be where you can access twitter.com.

I have no doubt that Jimmie Johnson would've won 7 Championships no matter what the format is. The fact that he keeps winning championships despite the changes that Brian Frances makes is proof of that.

But, the playoff was Jimmie-proof because he's never won at Homestead, remember? Heh.

I have no doubt that Jimmie Johnson would've won 7 Championships no matter what the format is. The fact that he keeps winning championships despite the changes that Brian Frances makes is proof of that.

Giving Jimmie's chronic summer stretch funk it's hard to say.

I dont think he's at 7 right now without a playoff system. Or would be for that matter.

Interesting question. Both Petty and Earnhardt had their championships pretty much wrapped up long before the end of the season under the old system. Plus the both had some advantages that don't exist today. Petty has big corporate sponsorship when that was an exception, plus he ran multiple races each week. Earnhardt had the first pit stall for the full season following each championship which probably helped and he didn't have a teammate with the same equipment to compete against for most of his career. I'm sure they both had other advantages - like driving skill.

I'd guess they both would have had fewer championships because you need to have a hot streak over fewer races for a championship with the current system. But in the end it doesn't matter. I'm still entertained with NASCAR racing.

Reactions: Pat
Giving Jimmie's chronic summer stretch funk it's hard to say.

I dont think he's at 7 right now without a playoff system. Or would be for that matter.
So by your logic, why didn't somebody else win those championships? Seems to me he was the best at getting results under the rules at the time. Everybody in series raced under same rules.

Reactions: Pat
Interesting question. Both Petty and Earnhardt had their championships pretty much wrapped up long before the end of the season under the old system. Plus the both had some advantages that don't exist today. Petty has big corporate sponsorship when that was an exception, plus he ran multiple races each week. Earnhardt had the first pit stall for the full season following each championship which probably helped and he didn't have a teammate with the same equipment to compete against for most of his career. I'm sure they both had other advantages - like driving skill.

I'd guess they both would have had fewer championships because you need to have a hot streak over fewer races for a championship with the current system. But in the end it doesn't matter. I'm still entertained with NASCAR racing.

I agree 100%. Both would have fewer.

So by your logic, why didn't somebody else win those championships? Seems to me he was the best at getting results under the rules at the time. Everybody in series raced under same rules.

By what logic? We will never know.

The reason nobody won those championships was because the playoffs were in place. o_O

If all three of them went head to head, it would depend on which era of cars they would be driving, as to who would win. Petty would clean house in cars of the late 50's, and 60's. Earnhardt would dominate in cars of the 80's. I think Johnson would win out in today's cars. You can't really judge by their competition, just like you can't compare the cars. These are the questions that bench racers will always debate, but will never be answered.

Petty always had the edge in equipment for the most part. Earnhardt was the sandbagging king of all time, not to mention, embellished on the rules to the maximum. Johnson has the edge in the fact he's been a winner in many different disciplines as a racers. I sure Jimmie's encroached on the rules as all drivers and teams do, it ain't cheating if you don't get caught. I'd give Jimmie a slight advantage over the other two even if we're talking skateboards!

Johnson up under the car fudgin'.

See it in mah dreams alla time.

When Jimmie Knaus opens his mouth about being too scared to run Indy, it makes me realize how under appreciated Danica is. She may not have these NASCAR cars figured out, but she ran in a Premiere open wheel series. Now we hear a NASCAR 7 time Champ state that he won't even run one of those races due to risk.

That is not good for NASCAR...

When Jimmie Knaus opens his mouth about being too scared to run Indy, it makes me realize how under appreciated Danica is. She may not have these NASCAR cars figured out, but she ran in a Premiere open wheel series. Now we hear a NASCAR 7 time Champ state that he won't even run one of those races due to risk.

ya know I didnt think of that Stacy. open wheel comes with its own set of risks.

After some googling from 2011

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...why-indycar-is-far-more-dangerous-than-nascar

Speed TV's show NASCAR Now spent a great deal of time in the wake of Dan Wheldon's tragic crash in Las Vegas analyzing the relative safety of racing. The four analysts came to the basic conclusion that it will never be completely safe.

One of the analysts, former NASCAR driver Ricky Craven, shared a quote that he had heard in the past:

"Boxing and racing are the only true sports because the threat of fatality exists. Everything else is just a game."

That may be a slightly biased stance, but the entire sporting world was reminded of the prevalent dangers that can leap upon a driver, any driver, at a moment's notice.

NASCAR is far safer than IndyCar, but only in a relative context. Both are extremely dangerous in their own right.

Perhaps the gravest danger posed to an IndyCar driver is the open ****pit. The head, even when helmeted, is exposed to greater force during a collision or flip. NASCAR drivers are afforded the safety of a top, supported by a roll cage, which prevents exposure of the head to increased blunt force trauma.

Indy cars are also much lighter. Current specifications mandate they weigh 1525 pounds, not including driver and fuel.

I would like to hear what everyoner has to say about this.....especially open wheel aficionados like @FLRacingFan and @Reck @DUN24 also @Greg forgot @Kiante sorry

Last edited:

Personally, I think it's honesty on his part. Those cars are inherently dangerous. Doesn't bother me in the least that he doesn't feel safe.

This is true bias against Danica. She went out and competed in open wheel, she strived to compete in that Premiere automobile race in a premiere series. If as a woman, she declared that she would never race at Indy because of the risk like Jimmie Johnson did, then you can bet the macho sporting world would come down on her like a bag of hammers for being a "girl" about it.

Here, Jimmie just made the entire NASCAR series look like a bunch of wussies with his "I'm to precious than to compete at Indy" in an open wheel car.

Not good --

Thanks Jimmie... :rolleyes:

And BTW, how did the thread drift so far off topic?
The OP was about Petty and Earnhardt and their chances in the current playoff system.
The topic naturally led to how Johnson would do under the systems Petty and Earnhardt faced. I get lost myself after that...

And BTW, how did the thread drift so far off topic?
The OP was about Petty and Earnhardt and their chances in the current playoff system.

Because Jimmie, the guy who doesn't have the nerve to compete at the Indianapolis 500, is now throwing shade at past Cup Champions, who competed in a more dangerous environment and car.

I figure when you are the greatest driver of your era and one of the GOAT's if you don't want to drive an open wheel car due to fear, boredom, apathy or whatever else it is your prerogative.

This is true bias against Danica. She went out and competed in open wheel, she strived to compete in that Premiere automobile race in a premiere series. If as a woman, she declared that she would never race at Indy because of the risk like Jimmie Johnson did, then you can bet the macho sporting world would come down on her like a bag of hammers for being a "girl" about it.

Here, Jimmie just made the entire NASCAR series look like a bunch of wussies with his "I'm to precious than to compete at Indy" in an open wheel car.

Not good --

Thanks Jimmie... :rolleyes:

I would have a pant load trying to make it into the pits let alone attempting to do what DP has done for years in open wheel and stock cars. I don't recall seeing anyone on this forum question her courage as regardless of how bad her stats are she is still an elite driver overall.

OK, this has gone on long enough. Questioning the reasons why, or why not, ANY driver chooses to compete or not compete in ANY series
is NOT our business.
ANY driver, in ANY series, from the basic carts on up, has my admiration and respect for what they risk every time they strap in. Just the other
day, I read about a very young cart driver getting killed in a cart.
Racing is DANGEROUS.
And fighting with each other is not going to change anything.

When Jimmie Knaus opens his mouth about being too scared to run Indy,

Now we hear a NASCAR 7 time Champ state that he won't even run one of those races due to risk.

I dont see the outrage or the disrespect there.

It's more like they are well aware of the danger of open wheel cars and they are actually respecting the skillset that is require to get behind one of those cars and drive them at upwards to 200mph.

If you're not comitted 100% to them or know what you're doing then you have no business thinking about getting behind one of these cars.

To me, it makes way more sense that a F1 racer would choose to race an indy car giving that the difference is not leaps and bounce. Going from a stock car to open wheel is pretty dramatic but also, going from open wheel to stock car is not so. At least in terms of safety.

people don't want to give jimmie any credit, but the reality is on a given race back in the 90's and even before, what was there maybe 4-5 cars that even had a chance of winning that race on the particular day. If a driver had a chance or not it didn't matter how good they were it had been decided back at the race shop before they even got to the track. you had as few as 1 mabe as many 10 cars even finishing on the lead lap in nearly all those races. That says to me it really came down to which cars were fast and which ones weren't. now don't get me wrong it took skill and a good driver for a team to even be able to get a car that good back even then. but now days you have 15 or more cars that could win on a given race day. Not only that the cars are all very very close. the bodies between the makes are all the same, basically. the engines I don't think anyone has a clear advantage especially since the cars have less power now. during JJ's 7 titles the competition was the best its ever been. Jimmie beat the best when there were the greatest amount of people that were on a level playing field with him.

look back at all those wins especially Richard had. Its simply not comparable. Jimmie is the greatest driver to ever drive a racecar.

Dale Earnhardt was at his best in the Busch Clash and The Winston. Short showdown type races. I think he'd have similar results in a chase format. With Petty, it's hard to tell. As someone stated, not many ran all races back then. A lot of people also forget how many times NASCAR changed the points system during Pettys reign.

Why should Johnson take that risk ......... he is feeding his family just fine

As consumers it certainly IS our business if a driver decides to tell the world why they do or don’t want to compete in any series.

I look at it like this it maybe be right, it maybe wrong.I break it up into two era's: I say the best driver of the Winston Cup Era is Earnhardt with honorable mention to Petty, Pearson, and Gordon. Best Sprint/Nextel/Monster Cup Era is Johnson. I used to be on the bandwagon that "If it wasn't for the Chase, Jimmie wouldn't have as many Cups" and IMO I'll still hold true to that. However...NASCAR changed the points system on the 48 so many dang times and he still won 7...which makes me believe that if you took JJ, Chad, and the 48 team, plopped them right square into any era let's say the mid 80's to late 90's they'd figure out a way to win. They just would. They are too good, Chad is too good and you'd be a fool to bet against them. You put JJ in Earnhardt's era, while I think talent wise Dale was better I'm not so sure he'd have 7, JJ would have some of those. It'd be interesting for sure as JJ is stronger on the 1.5 mile tracks that were not as common during Earnhardt's era which leaned more towards Super speedways and bullrings of the south such as Wilkesboro and Rockingham, which Earnhardt was unbeatable at. What I'm trying to say the 48 team would adapt to any points system of any Era, he almost won the 2002 and 03 Winston Cup for pete's sake! They'd be tough in any time frame.

Last edited:
ya know I didnt think of that Stacy. open wheel comes with its own set of risks.

After some googling from 2011

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...why-indycar-is-far-more-dangerous-than-nascar

I would like to hear what everyoner has to say about this.....especially open wheel aficionados like @FLRacingFan and @Reck @DUN24 also @Greg forgot @Kiante sorry
I'd agree that, by a large margin, the open ****pit itself is what makes IndyCar distinctly more dangerous. The tub itself is a tremendous piece of engineering and I can't imagine how many more lost lives and injuries there would be without it. The Bianchi, Wilson, and Wheldon deaths all could've been prevented by some sort of canopy. But considering the speeds these guys hit at sometimes and walk away it still speaks to how structurally sound the tub and chassis are.

I'd agree that, by a large margin, the open ****pit itself is what makes IndyCar distinctly more dangerous. The tub itself is a tremendous piece of engineering and I can't imagine how many more lost lives and injuries there would be without it. The Bianchi, Wilson, and Wheldon deaths all could've been prevented by some sort of canopy. But considering the speeds these guys hit at sometimes and walk away it still speaks to how structurally sound the tub and chassis are.
well said,,,thanks for weighin in

jimmie johnson is the greatest of all-time. it's really that simple.

jeff gordon was being compared to the all-time greats. in everyone's top-5...top-3 whatever. the most dominant driver we had all ever seen. wins title number 4 in 2001...many more absolutely inevitable.

2002 - enter jimmie johnson....teammate. same organization. ends gordon's reign effective immediately....gordon still in his prime. still seen as the most dominant driver ever with all variables considered. wins 35 more races to close out his career in the next 14 years. with no more titles we were all sure would come. the drive for five just slowly died. while simultaneously johnson wins 75....more than twice as many races while competing with jeff. his teammate. no equipment argument. and 6 titles. to jeff's 0.

jimmie johnson absolutely waxed jeff gordon and whipped him like a rented mule for a decade-and-a-half...the same jeff gordon that many considered would eventually be seen as the greatest of all-time. still winning titles after jeff gordon has retired. multiple wins in every season throughout his career. through multiple formats. even the format that required him to win at homestead which he had never done. x that one off the to-win-at list.

oh, and by the way...has won the last two cup events consecutively by out-driving nascar's new young superstar almost effortlessly. so he still isn't slowing down. you can pick apart the point systems he dominated all you want as your reasoning for not acknowledging him as the greatest ever...but checkered flags are checkered flags...and when he snags his 100th to go with his 8-9 titles, you'll be out of ammo.

and i love me some dale earnhardt sr. but come on...it's jimmie. 7 wins since his last runner up finish. he still dominates everyone on the track and has the most wins of any driver the past 5 years. the 5 years we have been trying to will him into the decline we're imagining. i don't have to speculate how the greats of yesteryear would do against him. the truth is right in front of me.

Is it Jimmie that is the best driver or Chad the best crew chief with the best equipment or all of the above?

Not to take anything away from JJ because I do think he is pretty darn good, but I would love to see what he could do without Chad Knaus. Ditto for Chad Knaus, I would love to see what he could do with a different driver.

Back
Top Bottom