Jimmie Johnson test positive for Covid-19

1.) He's running fairly well but still just short of winning a race or two, and passing DW.
2.) He's probably gonna miss a bunch of races, not just this.
Imagine working at the top level of your company for 20 years and arguably being the most successful in history, being sick in your retirement year and asked to return for another.

tenor.gif

Imagine working at the top level of your company for 20 years and arguably being the most successful in history, being sick in your retirement year and asked to return for another.

tenor.gif

Hey, it's up to him.

That sucks. I hope JJ will be back in two or three weeks,
Can't wait to see what Allgaier can do in the 48, though.

Yeah it kinda shocked me. Why wasn't it Noah Gragson? Looking for immediate results from a vet?

Bob Pockrass
@bobpockrass

2m

Johnson said his kids are negative. He has not shown any symptoms. With both parents positive, right now their concern is the care of their children.

Marty Smith
@MartySmithESPN

·5m

Jimmie Johnson: "2020 has been interesting. I could be down-and-out about my situation, but if I turn on the news and see how this virus has affected others, I am thankful I'm asymptomatic. I'm healthy. My wife is healthy. Our kids are. Our prayer is we stay that way."

I wonder if NASCAR will start testing everybody when they show up for events?

Asymptomatic carriers can’t be detected by taking temperatures.

Does the test provide immediate results? Serious question because I have no idea if that exists

This has been my beef from the start. I disagree with the doom and gloom of a positive test for a healthy adult, but if you're going to bring everyone together, at least be responsible and test each person. Taking temperatures are a joke.

Does the test provide immediate results? Serious question because I have no idea if that exists
There are a few different tests available.

Test result returns depend upon lab access. NASCAR can do this - checkbook will be required.

More drivers will test positive. Same goes for crew and staff (and fans!).

That is how this thing is.

Most will be asymptomatic, the average age for a positive test in April was over 55 (because they were mostly only testing very sick people), in late June it dropped down to the mid 30s (much more testing, less isolation, opening up, huge gatherings etc.).

The key is the death ratio and that has significantly fallen. Since most everyone entering a hospital for anything is being tested, the numbers for COVID hospitalizations reflects asymptomatic as well as those suffering COVID symptoms. IOW it looks much worse than reality.

Keeping it away from high risk people (over 60 and/or w existing co-morbiditues) is the key. We actually are getting there and it is nowhere near as bad as March/April. We know a lot more now than we did in March/April, when they were ordering nursing homes in NY to accept COVID-positive patients and still waiting till May to sterilize subway cars.

The death rate per 100,000 as of July 3:

NJ - 170
NY - 169
DC - 78
GA - 27
AZ - 24
FL - 17
TX - 9

There are literally hundreds of statistical analyses out there.

Our narrow interest here is for the health of the few hundred weekly event attendees and for the health of NASCAR itself. It looks like they’re doing a good job with masks and distancing. The problem is that one or more of those in attendance can be infected elsewhere and bring it to the track. If that person or persons is asymptomatic and untested, the virus spreads.

Other sports trying to get their schedules underway are testing, testing, testing. NASCAR has to do the same. Just my opinion, of course.

If that person or persons is asymptomatic and untested, the virus spreads.

I agree with most of what you said but not the above. I would only change it to ‘the virus has a chance to spread’.

Being outdoors (especially in direct sun) and wearing a mask/social distancing significantly reduces the chance of virus spread. A virus-positive person somehow getting past precautions does not mean it automatically spreads.

I’m sure there were already COVID-positive people at previous races who did not spread the virus for the simple reason that precautions were followed.

IOW - a COVID-positive person being near us is the exact reason for the masks and the distancing.

This is not in any way discounting testing, wearing of masks/social distancing etc.

A chance is all the virus needs. 57,000 or so people learned that yesterday.

If NASCAR doesn’t seize the opportunity to further protect its people, I will be disappointed. I don’t want to be part of derailing another thread so I’ll shut up now.

If NASCAR doesn’t seize the opportunity to further protect its people, I will be disappointed. I don’t want to be part of derailing another thread so I’ll shut up now.

I completely agree with you that NASCAR needs to protect its people. You want them to go ‘further’ but didn’t explain how so not quite sure what more you think they should be doing.

The only way they can protect everyone completely is to shut down.

From what I’ve seen they seem to be making one heck of an effort to both hold races and minimize spread.

Want to be the next billionaire? Create an "instant result test" for covid. yowza

Damn shame. Jimmie is going to have to win to make the playoffs.

And he will. Whether it be an act from God, or some shady **** from NASCAR, he isn't missing the playoffs in his final year.

Jimmie is a class act. Doing the right thing and it's no surprise that he feels healthy and isn't symptomatic.

Jimmie has got to be THE most respected driver in the sport by competitors, teams, media, etc.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

There are a few different tests available.

Test result returns depend upon lab access. NASCAR can do this - checkbook will be required.
18 wheeler portable lab? Check in at track 48 hrs pre event?

And he will. Whether it be an act from God, or some shady **** from NASCAR, he isn't missing the playoffs in his final year.

Jimmie is a class act. Doing the right thing and it's no surprise that he feels healthy and isn't symptomatic.

Jimmie has got to be THE most respected driver in the sport by competitors, teams, media, etc.

Shady **** from NASCAR? You think NASCAR is gonna chance throwing away a billion dollar sport to get Johnson a win? Come on man

I completely agree with you that NASCAR needs to protect its people. You want them to go ‘further’ but didn’t explain how so not quite sure what more you think they should be doing.

The only way they can protect everyone completely is to shut down.

From what I’ve seen they seem to be making one heck of an effort to both hold races and minimize spread.
I think they should test everyone involved ... every day.

I think they should test everyone involved ... every day.

Then if we are to be consistent to your belief, everyone traveling out of the house to a public place should be tested every day.

I won’t argue against it but I’m not sure how difficult/expensive this would be to apply.

This thread is about Jimmie. Please try to keep it that way.
You can always go to Private Conversation or maybe Chit-chat, or even The Podium. Or The Annex.

That’s the spirit!

No one wants a 48 ERRRRR Jimmie victory more than I but if he can’t cut it plus the added handicap of multiple virus black flag diminish his chances, he shouldn’t get a pass.

Then if we are to be consistent to your belief, everyone traveling out of the house to a public place should be tested every day.

I won’t argue against it but I’m not sure how difficult/expensive this would be to apply.

I realize I said I was done here.

Yours is a straw man argument. What do members of the general public have to do with this? We’re all hoping NASCAR can continue to operate as they have for the past few weeks. Testing competitors and broadcast crew members every day is, in my lowly opinion, a requirement if that is to continue.

Expensive? If it helps keeps the teams’ already dimished revenue streams alive, it’s cheap.

The details of this might be of interest to those who were asking about rapid testing protocols.

Interesting. If they can make this work it certainly can apply to other sports.

I'm not sure about the actual efficacy. Clearly they aren't ready (or able to get approved to) deploy this for 20,000-25,000 attendees at Knoxville, or the Nationals wouldn't be canceled. Still, it is an intriguing and ambitious start.

Best of luck to JJ and his family. It's gonna be awfully weird having a race without him, but I'm sure he'll be back and I hope his family comes out of it all a-ok.

Scary to hear given he's been taking all the appropriate cautions. That's great that he's asymptomatic.

Shady **** from NASCAR? You think NASCAR is gonna chance throwing away a billion dollar sport to get Johnson a win? Come on man
No. Seems as though you missed the entire point of my post. It was a jumping off point lol

No need for fear. He followed precautions. His wife apparently didn’t somewhere along the line.

There is no information available to indicate that Johnson's wife "apparently didn't follow precautions", or that the virus absolutely cannot be transmitted to those who are following recommended guidelines. There is no way to positively conclude that Jimmie Johnson always did "follow precautions", nor evidence that he did not, to my knowledge. In Johnson's public statements, he describes both he and his wife as having been as careful as they could be.

There has been no determination made that Johnson's wife was infected with the virus before he was, or vice versa. They do not know. According to news reports, he tested positive in an antibody test "earlier this year", while she tested negative. Antibody tests have relatively high false positive rates (~20%), so again, nothing is certain.

There is no information available to indicate that Johnson's wife "apparently didn't follow precautions", or that the virus absolutely cannot be transmitted to those who are following recommended guidelines. There is no way to positively conclude that Jimmie Johnson always did "follow precautions", nor evidence that he did not, to my knowledge. In Johnson's public statements, he describes both he and his wife as having been as careful as they could be.

There has been no determination made that Johnson's wife was infected with the virus before he was, or vice versa. They do not know. According to news reports, he tested positive in an antibody test "earlier this year", while she tested negative. Antibody tests have relatively high false positive rates (~20%), so again, nothing is certain.

It’s been reported that she had “allergy like” symptoms for a few days prior to testing positive and that’s why Johnson was also tested.

If someone tests positive, somewhere along the line they did’t follow precautions to prevent exposure or contraction. That’s not an insult.

What do you mean theres no evidence that the virus cannot be transmitted if following all precautions? It does not magically transmit. One has to expose themself and breathe the virus in or touch their eyes/nose/mouth. If precautions like social distancing, wearing a mask and sanitizing often are followed then transmission does not happen.

Again, none of this is an insult. It’s just the research gathered currently. Humans are imperfect and chances of not always seperating from people or accidentally touching your face are high.

Back
Top Bottom