Jimmie Johnson to Retire after 2020

He’s one of the best of my lifetime. Hope he has a great life post racing. The only thing that will be more annoying then the announcers telling us every 3 seconds it’s his final season will be the redditors hyping up Larson and Ross Chastain for the ride

He’s one of the best of my lifetime. Hope he has a great life post racing. The only thing that will be more annoying then the announcers telling us every 3 seconds it’s his final season will be the redditors hyping up Larson and Ross Chastain for the ride

yep before the ink is dry on Johnson's announcement.

I agree about JJ being one of the best and I hate to see him go...but I would love to see Larson get that ride.

Well, I'm know who I'm rooting for next season.

One of the greatest to do it, I'm glad he's going out on his terms. JJ has been nothing but class his entire career, but I guess now he's comfortable and is ready to hang it up. He has nothing else to prove and has done everything in NASCAR that could possibly be attained.

I'm on the bandwagon harder than ever. I'd like to see him go out with a championship, hell just one win at this point.

Not surprising, but sad nonetheless...I guess this will get me back out to Cup races again next year. I am interested to see what he does afterwards, he’s good friends with Fernando and hasn’t beaten up his body like Gordon had so I think his driving career is still far from over.

Man, HMS might have a roster of all 20-somethings in a couple of years.

I’m not sure we’re prepared for the civil war between the Elliott and Larson fan bases if they compete on the same team. Lol
Yo, that **** would be insane. @DUN24 would be so torn at times. Lol.

I'm calling it now, JJ and Jeff in a third Corvette for the 24 Hours of Daytona in 2021.

Make it happen Chevy, please I beg of you.

The only thing thats surprised me with Johnson is his sudden decline. It’s been like jumping off a cliff. I will still argue it’s more setups than driver but he hasn't been the same since his brakes failed at Pocono.

At least with Jeff it was a slow burn with flashes here and there.

Best of luck to him and I hope he can capture a W in 2020. As long as he stays at or below 92 :D

Let us never forget, Nascar Racing is a Business and Hendrick, like Gibbs, are there to make money. The business is, to supply wins and good finishes for a sponsor and entertainment for the fans. He has certainly not done that for the Ally sponsorship, plus he has, in my opinion, ran his course, plus he is not earning his keep anymore, it is just business.

This is not a bold prediction at all, JJ will not win the 2020 cup championship.

Can't really say I am surprised, and he feels it time, I hope whatever he does, he enjoys the rest of his life , he's earned it.

It's sad. Hope he gets the respect he deserves from the fans and the media as NASCAR's GOAT/one of the 2 or 3 GOATS. We've heard more about Kyle's claim to GOAT the last two years than Jimmie's.

HMS is going to do everything he can to make sure Jimmie goes out on top, to the point where it will be a bigger priority than Chase getting #1 imo. Jimmie will win races next year and make some noise. Don't know if he gets to final 4, but if he does, i'd wager he gets #8.. just because stories are more important than racing, and somehow, it'll happen.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

This was supposed to be Joe, JGR, Kyle, and Samantha's week. :rolleyes:

Knew of this last month. Just could not comment. So 7 will remain the bar. There is something good and proper about that.

As a long time fan of Jimmie Johnson, I'm sadden by this news, but not surprised. I'll watch every race of the 2020 season & I hope Johnson will get that #8.

I wonder if they could or would bring Chad back for one last hooraw. to me it was clear chad was bringing better cars on most weeks to the track for jimmie. I would like to see it. maybe both retire at the same time

I wonder if they could or would bring Chad back for one last hooraw. to me it was clear chad as bring better cars on most weeks to the track for jimmie. I would like to see it. maybe both retire at the same time

No, no chance. The Roval 2018 put an end to that pairing.

No, no chance. The Roval 2018 put an end to that pairing.
How do you know this stuff?

They can't work together anymore, but can you atleast comment on if they are still friendly?

To have a friendship killed due to racing, that's just tragic.

How do you know this stuff?

They can't work together anymore, but can you atleast comment on if they are still friendly?

To have a friendship killed due to racing, that's just tragic.

Being from Virginia, talking racing for years on the net and knowing folks who know folks is all I can tell you.

I agree with @ChexOrWrex that Jimmie's decline appears to have been steeper than many, but it's not really surprising. Age related diminishment of skills varies from one to the next... but they all wind up in the same place within a fairly short span of years... within a handful of years for most. For every Bobby Allison there are a hundred like JJ or Jeff Gordon or Dale Jr or Smoke... declining substantially in the early 40's range.

It is a testament to how difficult it is to be at the top. When you lose just a bit of your edge, you're no longer at the top... no longer in that rarefied air where you used to be. The lucky ones are those who figure it out timely and deal with it, rather than staying too long trying to deny Father Time.

Being from Virginia, talking racing for years on the net and knowing folks who know folks is all I can tell you.
Well, unless you are contracted/threatened repercussions for saying too much, you can really share whatever you want.

The funny part is it looks like somewhere around 75-85 wins is where success seems to dry up. Did so for Waltrip, Allison, Sr., Gordon, and now Johnson. All of those guys at a point looked like they would challenge Pearson and didn't come close.

Bold Prediction -- where fantasy, fiction, rumor, and truth commingle.

Yo, that sh!t would be insane. @DUN24 would be so torn at times. Lol.

I'm calling it now, JJ and Jeff in a third Corvette for the 24 Hours of Daytona in 2021.

Make it happen Chevy, please I beg of you.

I've already been there when Larson and Blaney kept wrecking together lol.

Bummed to see Jimmie go. Let the 48 car sweepstakes begin.

Back
Top Bottom