Jr. fans, who will be your driver next season?

Snowman

Crew Chief
Young gun or veteran?
Personally, I watched Chase Elliott in his Xfinity career and am more invested in him and Byron than I am Bowman who I didn't even know existed until he subbed last season. I'm riding with the 24 or maybe the 5 if Byron is brought to Cup next season. Who you got?

My brother is a Jr. fan and I've asked him a bunch of times and got no answer. He'll probably be done with NASCAR truthfully, hardly watches now.

That's what I'm sure the big wigs are deathly afraid of, how many fans will walk away when he walks away?

I think it definitely a reality. It's something I don't understand if you're a fan of NASCAR but some will be that way.

Watch a couple races if nothing else is on and I'm stuck inside. Otherwise I may still attend the Daytona 500, but I'm pretty much done, none of the kids have impressed me, sure they can drive, but there is no show anymore. Bump and runs, sling shot passing, and fist fights are a distant memory.

As a Jr. fan, I'll continue to root for multiple drivers, just like now. I've already invested my full allotment into Jr. merch. I won't be doing that anymore.
Like you, I have plenty of drivers I like but Jr has always been my #1. How I figure it, I'll support JRM primarily and my #1 will be a graduate from there that stayed in the Chevy fold whether it be Chase or Willy B
I think it definitely a reality. It's something I don't understand if you're a fan of NASCAR but some will be that way.
I don't quite understand it either but I'm curious how many of those that walk away were Sr. fans that are only still watching to follow their all-time favorites son, and with him retiring they have no more attachment at all.

I don't quite understand it either but I'm curious how many of those that walk away were Sr. fans that are only still watching to follow their all-time favorites son, and with him retiring they have no more attachment at all.

Well I was a JR fan mostly because most in my family were Sr fans. I was 9 when Sr died and remember the race. Once I got old enough to follow the sport on my own Jr just didn't do it for me anymore and I hopped of to Kyle Busch. Kyle ever retires I'll find a new driver and so on.

I'm pulling for Chase Elliott primarily. Byron looks good too. I'll be watching him. I've heard Karslyn is really good. I would love to see her coming up through the ranks. A few years back they gave her the mic to interview a few drivers. She has that part down.

Well I was a JR fan mostly because most in my family were Sr fans. I was 9 when Sr died and remember the race. Once I got old enough to follow the sport on my own Jr just didn't do it for me anymore and I hopped of to Kyle Busch. Kyle ever retires I'll find a new driver and so on.
Same exact story as a good friend of mine who actually got me into the sport haha. It was always fun talking smack to each other especially when the Jr vs KB thing was huge.

Probably 80-90% of the Junior fans I know are jumping to Chase next season.

It's a shame virtually none of them are sticking with the 88 to root for Bowman as their favorite driver next year.

Probably 80-90% of the Junior fans I know are jumping to Chase next season.

It's a shame virtually none of them are sticking with the 88 to root for Bowman as their favorite driver next year.

I might actually become a fan of Bowman's, I've been telling people since he was at RAB Racing that he has "it" in him.

Would be great to see him be successful in the 88.

Once people realize Bowman is the real deal and better then chase (not a knock on Chase), his bandwagon will fill on up

as a Jeff Gordon fan, Jr was my #2 always. Its going to be weird with both of them gone next year. Kind of gotten adjusted to Jeff being gone but with Jr gone it will take some getting used to for sure, in fact might be harder. For the last year and change I have rooted for a combo of Jr, Chase Elliott, Harvick and Larson. But it isnt the same when your guy is gone, races for me arnt appointment television anymore.

Once people realize Bowman is the real deal and better then chase (not a knock on Chase), his bandwagon will fill on up
I don't doubt he'll be successful and I'm sure most will be happy if he pulls off a Cinderella story but Chase has just been one of my guys since his days in Xfinity. That's the real reason I'm hitching my horse to the Chase wagon, I was cheering for him as a Cup rookie alongside my main guy Jr. before most of us had heard of Bowman much less see what he could do in a good ride.

LOLLLL I'll bookmark this one too. You really have something serious against the kid, is it a 24 thing?

I will still watch some races,the 1.5 miles I'll probably pass on.I have friends and a brother that are throwing in the towel with JR retirement.I am not sure how much of a drop off there will be,it's a little scary from the small group of fans I know of.

I will still watch some races,the 1.5 miles I'll probably pass on.I have friends and a brother that are throwing in the towel with JR retirement.I am not sure how much of a drop off there will be,it's a little scary from the small group of fans I know of.
I brought that possibility up earlier, the question is not will less people watch or attend races but how many. I'm of hope there's enough young talent to keep many engaged but it's hard to say. How many of the traditional fans feel about the current playoff system and stage racing, if the only thing that kept them tuned in was Jr. I could see them bowing out.

As a Jr. fan, I'll continue to root for multiple drivers, just like now. I've already invested my full allotment into Jr. merch. I won't be doing that anymore.

That's what people from NASCAR, ISC, SMI, fanatics and Lionel are worried about. Jr fans spend the most money on merchandise. If 90% switch to another driver but spend $20 less it adds up. NASCAR and ISC expects some fans to leave. They are hoping it's less than 10%.

With JR leaving and what is looking like DP as well, I don't see anyone that I care about rooting for anymore. When you are passionate about a certain driver it's a blast to watch no matter what kind of gimmicks NASCAR comes up with every year. Hopefully, DP races next year, and if not, I'll be spending more time on the slopes and trying to lower my golf handicap.

I don't even really know what keeps Jr fans interested now and as I've said my brother has already pretty much given up although he'll still argue Jr is the best. His performance certainly isn't what keeps them although I don't think he understands these cars as well as the cars he drove when he started. The guy has a likeable personality but that just wouldn't be enough to keep me a fan and didn't.

I don't even really know what keeps Jr fans interested now and as I've said my brother has already pretty much given up although he'll still argue Jr is the best. His performance certainly isn't what keeps them although I don't think he understands these cars as well as the cars he drove when he started. The guy has a likeable personality but that just wouldn't be enough to keep me a fan and didn't.
Some people are dyed in the wool (kind of like stick and ball team fans) no matter how bad it gets, some hold the faith haha. A friend of mine's driver was Jeff Burton until he retired. I think most that ride to the end usually pick a couple other drivers they like to see win. The friend mentioned above cheered for Carl Edwards also but didn't own a single piece of merch of his until Burton retired.

Some people are dyed in the wool (kind of like stick and ball team fans) no matter how bad it gets, some hold the faith haha. A friend of mine's driver was Jeff Burton until he retired. I think most that ride to the end usually pick a couple other drivers they like to see win. The friend mentioned above cheered for Carl Edwards also but didn't own a single piece of merch of his until Burton retired.

Always looked at my NASCAR fansom different than stick and ball sports. Cowboys and Yankee fan for life but if Kyle Busch switched to a Ford I'd have to find a new driver.

Brad K, been supporting him since he drove Navy 88 for JR and always will.

My guys will be Brad, Truex, Chase, Larson, Logano, and Blaney in that order. I will support Bowman too since he will be in the 88

Always looked at my NASCAR fansom different than stick and ball sports. Cowboys and Yankee fan for life but if Kyle Busch switched to a Ford I'd have to find a new driver.
Just out of curiosity, would you only switch if Kyle moved to a rival manufacturer or would you also switch if his performance dropped off as he aged?

Yea I agree it seems like hes kind of given up, the team is going through the motions I'll be happy if he can somehow win one before the year is over. Looking at You Talladega....

Brad K, been supporting him since he drove Navy 88 for JR and always will.

My guys will be Brad, Truex, Chase, Larson, Logano, and Blaney in that order. I will support Bowman too since he will be in the 88
If I wasn't brand loyal I would've probably migrated to BK as well, still happy for him when he wins though. Not to mention the blue deuce he drove to the championship is one of my favorite week in week out paint schemes of this era.

That's what people from NASCAR, ISC, SMI, fanatics and Lionel are worried about. Jr fans spend the most money on merchandise. If 90% switch to another driver but spend $20 less it adds up. NASCAR and ISC expects some fans to leave. They are hoping it's less than 10%.

That is going to happen, I think. I had an entire closet full of #8 gear. When Junior switched to the 88, I have only bought the essentials... a few shirts, one or two hats. Ok, I bought a coat and a few expensive things but nothing like I did when he was in the #8 car. I cut down quite a lot on die casts too. Something about filling another closet didn't appeal to me. Then with the sponsors jocking around, nope, not going there.

Just out of curiosity, would you only switch if Kyle moved to a rival manufacturer or would you also switch if his performance dropped off as he aged?

Good question and to be clear it'd only be Ford that would make me drop Kyle. I guess if he got to the point where he wasn't running well and it wasn't bothering him like it does now would be a good sign to switch drivers but I think that a ways off.

If I wasn't brand loyal I would've probably migrated to BK as well, still happy for him when he wins though. Not to mention the blue deuce he drove to the championship is one of my favorite week in week out paint schemes of this era.
If Brad ended up in the 5 at Hendrick like he was originally suppose to, a lot of Jr fans would root for him. Brad was very popular while he drove for Jr

That is going to happen, I think. I had an entire closet full of #8 gear. When Junior switched to the 88, I have only bought the essentials... a few shirts, one or two hats. Ok, I bought a coat and a few expensive things but nothing like I did when he was in the #8 car. I cut down quite a lot on die casts too. Something about filling another closet didn't appeal to me. Then with the sponsors jocking around, nope, not going there.
That's similar to a store I used to go to at the beach every year, at first they had a pretty good selection of NASCAR merch, but later it disappeared and when I asked the owner, he said sponsors and drivers switch so often, it isn't worth it because he gets stuck with stuff he can barely give away. The only places you can buy anything now are the track or NASCAR.com for the most part.

Reactions: Pat
That's what I'm sure the big wigs are deathly afraid of, how many fans will walk away when he walks away?

JMO but I don't think the retirement of Jeff and Smoke has caused a mass exodus of fans just like I don't think stage racing or Monster has caused an influx of fans. I believe that Nascar's current fan base is made up of diehards that are not going to abandon the series unless something so wacky happens they just can't take it anymore. IMO most of the reason for Nascar's current decline is due to its fans aging out. When well over half of your fan base is over 50 it is only natural that you will lose some each year one way or another.

Back
Top Bottom