Jr's Top Dog at Hendricks

F

FlFlash

I'm kinda hoping that this thread is just a precursor to his Martinsville victory this weekend giving HMS their 200 total. Say what you want about him but there are 32 other drivers in the top 35 that wish they were were he is in the standings right now.

A little side story on Jr. that I was just reading here. It is about a recent interview that Jeff Gluck, of SBNation, did with him yesterday. I'm sure some of you will find a way to slam him about that story as well but here it is anyway.....

Mar 29, 2012 - The other day, an e-mail popped into my inbox that read: "MEDIA ADVISORY: Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Juan Pablo Montoya Interview Opportunity."

That sounded like something I should probably attend, so I RSVP'd "Yes" and showed up exactly one hour before the scheduled interview time.

Earnhardt Jr. and Montoya were supposed to spend a few hours learning to drift cars for a Degree Men sponsor video, then meet with the media afterward. I figured I'd watch the drifting exhibition for an hour, then get some quotes to post here.

But when I drove up to the video shoot, my stomach sunk. The cars were already parked, and I saw a group of people surrounding a couple men in firesuits.

My timing was way, way off.

I walked quickly toward the pack and arrived at a group interviewing Earnhardt Jr. in time for what was basically the last question. The driver was then called away by the shoot's director, and the interview was over.

As it turned out, Earnhardt Jr. and Montoya had finished the drifting portion earlier than planned, and Earnhardt Jr. had fielded questions for 20 minutes in what the other reporters described as his best interview of the year.

One of the other writers offered to give me the audio file, but I didn't feel that was right. They'd gotten there early – just in case – and the bottom line was I didn't arrive in time.

A sense of failure washed over me and my mood sunk. It was like showing up late for the last class before a big exam – the one where they review all the test material – and I hadn't gotten any of the information.

It was quite deflating to know I'd missed one of the best interviews of the year, and I'm sure it showed on my face. Mike Davis, who handles public relations for JR Motorsports, apparently felt sorry for me and said he'd try to get Earnhardt Jr. to answer a few more questions.

So as Earnhardt Jr. walked to a dressing room, Davis called out and told him there were a couple more questions to answer.

Now, let me pause for a moment and give you a little insight into these situations. Typically, a driver who has already talked to the media for 20 minutes is not going to want to do much more. Interviews are known in NASCAR as "media obligations," and obligations indicate chores or work. They are not something drivers do for fun (unless you're Carl Edwards on ESPN), and most of them understandably would rather be somewhere else.

Earnhardt Jr., though, stopped in his tracks. A handful of reporters – including the ones he'd spoken with earlier – followed him to a quiet room, where he sat and talked for another 25 minutes.

By comparison, most of the weekly "12 Questions interviews" posted on SB Nation take about 10 minutes.

There was nothing obligatory about the second part of the interview, except he knew there were more questions and he was trying to help us do our jobs (his quotes will help fill an otherwise-slow off-week around Easter).

That's a generous amount of time from a superstar athlete, but it's not all that uncommon for Earnhardt Jr. Here's a guy who could absolutely get away with being a jerk if he wanted to – after all, he's the most popular driver and we still have to cover him whether he's a nice guy or not – but he's never been anything but respectful.

With all the demands placed on NASCAR drivers, dealing with interviews can often be a pain. But Earnhardt Jr. has always recognized the media has a job to do – and for this tardy reporter, it's very much appreciated.

I'm glad Jr is doing well. Maybe he can start pulling his weight and start to contribute to the betterment to HMS as a whole.

He already does this at the souvenir hauler. ;)

Truer words were never uttered...

As the highest-salaried driver in NA$$CAR ($30M/year) he needs to sell lots of t-shirts and caps - cause his race winnings have been pretty paltry since signing his mega-deal with HMS.

I'm sure Pepsico and National Guard are paying steep premium for the privilege of being on that 88 car. I have no doubt that HMS is making a tidy profit off Jr.

I'm kinda hoping that this thread is just a precursor to his Martinsville victory this weekend giving HMS their 200 total. Say what you want about him but there are 32 other drivers in the top 35 that wish they were were he is in the standings right now.

A little side story on Jr. that I was just reading here. It is about a recent interview that Jeff Gluck, of SBNation, did with him yesterday. I'm sure some of you will find a way to slam him about that story as well but here it is anyway.....

Great article.

Yea he's possibly the highest paid driver, he pulls in good money at the sovenier trailer, he brings in hi dollar sponsors, he's possibly the most popular driver at this time and he sometimes has issue's on pit road. ( is there anything wrong with any of that? )

Butt look where he's sitting in points he must be able to wheel it at least a little bit. :nyanya:

Yea he's possibly the highest paid driver, he pulls in good money at the sovenier trailer, he brings in hi dollar sponsors, he's possibly the most popular driver at this time and he sometimes has issue's on pit road. ( is there anything wrong with any of that? )

Butt look where he's sitting in points he must be able to wheel it at least a little bit. :nyanya:

I guess you could say that he is as bad as the Biff .BUT look where the Biff is.:D

Jr could pull it off Sunday. Remember he had Martinsville won last year until Harvick used the old chrome horn.

I like Joonyer. I would love to see him win.

But c'mon, Joonyer Nation, the dude has been an under-achiever since BEFORE he signed his deal with Rick.

I have no doubt that HMS is making a tidy profit off Jr.

Oh, NO DOUBT!!!

Why do some many people add an "s" on to the end of "Hendrick"? Is it because of Jimi Hendrix?

Articles like this is the reason Jeff Gluck is IMO the best NASCAR reporter in the game.
And I really do like Jr. I just wish so many of his fans weren't troglodytic douche bags. (not all of his fans are that way and the ones that post here are exemplary humans)

(not all of his fans are that way and the ones that post here are exemplary humans)

Nice save, Mattie!!
thumbsup.gif

Articles like this is the reason Jeff Gluck is IMO the best NASCAR reporter in the game.
And I really do like Jr. I just wish so many of his fans weren't troglodytic douche bags. (not all of his fans are that way and the ones that post here are exemplary humans)

Sounds like you and I have the same outlook on Junyer and his fans. I really don't have a problem with him, and I think if he started winning a couple races every now and then it would really boost the sport. However, if he won just one race that he led only one lap of that ended up rain shortened, many of his fans would all come unglued declaring him the instant favorite for the championship....

Why do some many people add an "s" on to the end of "Hendrick"? Is it because of Jimi Hendrix?

That's a good question Matthews.

I can't speak for Flash, but adding the S, is redneck proper.

It is active, or indicates that the subject is fixing to do, or done did something.

Yeah, I used to add that 's' all the time( being one of those PROPER rednecks) until Majestyx corrected me rather harshly on here once.

Anyhow, while once I never thought I would say this, I'm glad Earnhardt seems to have improved with that outfit recently. I never thought I would say this either, but Jr. is a lot better than his time at HMS has shown. No, seriously, he really is.

Weird, huh?One would think most anyone could win over there, but I still think he could do better about anywhere else.

He need's to eventually escape the house that Jeff built and forge his own way.

Maybe over at Roush with best bud Kenseth. 100 percent seriously. Put him in the six car and watch him fly.

Yeah, I used to add that 's' all the time( being one of those PROPER rednecks) until Majestyx corrected me rather harshly on here once.

Anyhow, while once I never thought I would say this, I'm glad Earnhardt seems to have improved with that outfit recently. I never thought I would say this either, but Jr. is a lot better than his time at HMS has shown. No, seriously, he really is.

Weird, huh?One would think most anyone could win over there, but I still think he could do better about anywhere else.

Whoever this is needs to get off Clark's computer before he gets back......

man.how lame he is,sheeeeeeeeeeezz.

Dude, if it was lame, it's because someone else was at my computer. I'm much more poetic and clever that that.( even though, granted, I lack your razor-sharp posting abilities; but then, we all do)

Unless you meant Ferg, of course. And in that case,yeah, it was me......:lurk:

That's a good question Matthews.

I can't speak for Flash, but adding the S, is redneck proper.

It is active, or indicates that the subject is fixing to do, or done did something.

Being a home grown Florida native from a long line of Florida native'S I would most likely be considered a Florida Cracker instead of a redneck proper ( their the boys that work oil rigs and such ) however the fact that I furthered my edumakation in the great state of Michigan amoungst wild and wooly Wolverine's tempered my accent and language somewhat.
I digress though and will admit that adding s's apparently is a southern thing.

Grammar class over yet?

Dude, if it was lame, it's because someone else was at my computer. I'm much more poetic and clever that that.( even though, granted, I lack your razor-sharp posting abilities; but then, we all do)

Unless you meant Ferg, of course. And in that case,yeah, it was me......:lurk:
lol,dude the lame part was you sayin JR. needs to drive tur,oops Ford

Grammar class over yet?

NOPE!!

( their the boys that work oil rigs and such )

"thier" should be "they're" - a contraction of "they are" as opposed to the possesive pronoun you posted.
"that" should be "who" whenever you're (see what I did there?) referring to a person.

So, it should read: (they're the boys who work oil rigs and such)

Class dismissed!!
whistle.gif

:D:D:D

NOPE!!

"thier" should be "they're" - a contraction of "they are" as opposed to the possesive pronoun you posted.
"that" should be "who" whenever you're (see what I did there?) referring to a person.

So, it should read: (they're the boys who work oil rigs and such)

Class dismissed!!
whistle.gif

:D:D:D

Why didn't you mention his butt? ;)

Back
Top Bottom