Kurt to leave SHR 2019

I think Kurt is still Kurt. His on-camera PR persona has improved but I think he’s still in there somewhere.

I agree but of course he's still in there but he's finally learned how to control that part. His passion is still there but the negative parts if himself are no longer out of control.

Kurt has always been a premier driver. In the past he has had the tendency to overdrive his car and that has led to more wrecks. His talent and ability however, should not ever be in question even in this twilight phase of his career.

The dichotomy between him and his brother is this...Kurt is a champion and HOF driver, imo. Kyle is one the greatest of all time though, certainly in the top 5-10 best and most accomplished drivers in the entire history of the sport.

For some that’s difficult to reconcile, even for the most experienced armchair GM’s and seasoned Internet pundits.

I still think that it it took a degradation of the points system to allow him to be awarded the championship.
That statement is backed up with the fact he has never won a championship outside that abortion one. He is sitting on the same couch as Denny. :D

No .... not even close

I think you're equating talent to race wins, and that's fine, but you also have to take the downside with it if you're going to do that. Based of this, Kyle isn't even a top 10 driver in the cup series all time.

I think you're equating talent to race wins, and that's fine, but you also have to take the downside with it if you're going to do that. Based of this, Kyle isn't even a top 10 driver in the cup series all time.

The modern era cannot be compared to the past .... Petty won races on Wednesday night at fairground race tracks. Few drivers that are on the track today have a record like Kyle's. I consider race wins to be an indicator of talent. The ability to stay in a quality ride is also an indication of talent. If you cannot stay in a competitive car, you cannot win races. Several factors play in to keeping a quality ride ... some of which have nothing to do with driving ability.

What are the chances Truex could go to SHR? With the loss of sponsorship and increase in pay he's likely wanting, FRR might decide to go with someone cheaper.... such as Christopher Bell.

How is Kyle not a top 10 Cup series driver all time? Lol

He has 49 wins at age 33, tied with Tony Stewart, one of the best ever.

He has won on every single race track in the cup series, something even Stewart, Gordon, and likely even JJ failed to do.

He has completed the weekend triple twice at Bristol, one of the toughest tracks on the circuit. He also has the record for most weekend sweeps.

He has a Cup and Xfinity championship, something only Brad K and Labonte have as well.

He's the all time wins leader in 2 of the 3 premier series.

He's one of only 3 active drivers to win every single year they've competed at the highest level (Hamlin and JJ are in jeopardy of going winless)

He's made the Championship 4 3 straight seasons, likely 4 straight (impressive considering the gimmicky format we have)

And he still has 8-10 years of driving at a likely elite to pretty good level, look at what Harvick is doing (Harvick is climbing up the all time list as well)

I thought about that but dont want to put him in bad position
Yeah, I think my days of posting inside info from intimate sources (especially when they are the source) are over. Too much risk, not enough reward. It was much more fun & innocent before Reddit got a hold of stuff. I'll stick to sharing the gossip I hear!

we know he has over 1000 wins including pee wee baseball.but we just dont care

He has won on every single race track in the cup series, something even Stewart, Gordon, and likely even JJ failed to do.

He has completed the weekend triple twice at Bristol, one of the toughest tracks on the circuit. He also has the record for most weekend sweeps.

He has a Cup and Xfinity championship, something only Brad K and Labonte have as well.

He's one of only 3 active drivers to win every single year they've competed at the highest level (Hamlin and JJ are in jeopardy of going winless)

He's made the Championship 4 3 straight seasons, likely 4 straight (impressive considering the gimmicky format we have)

And he still has 8-10 years of driving at a likely elite to pretty good level, look at what Harvick is doing (Harvick is climbing up the all time list as well)

I don't see this as a good thing for Kurt. The #1 team isn't going to have a huge improvement over night by changing drivers. In the past 2-3 seasons, Kurt and McMurray have pretty much the same results. For some reason this year the #1 team is struggling. I can't see that being McMurray's driving when he has been one of the most consistent drivers in the series the past few years.
Is there a chance that this is to start a 3rd team? McMurray and Gnassi are pretty close if I recall. Maybe McMurray's had enough and given up and is retiring?

Anyone who disagrees with this is a hater.

The modern era cannot be compared to the past .... Petty won races on Wednesday night at fairground race tracks. Few drivers that are on the track today have a record like Kyle's. I consider race wins to be an indicator of talent. The ability to stay in a quality ride is also an indication of talent. If you cannot stay in a competitive car, you cannot win races. Several factors play in to keeping a quality ride ... some of which have nothing to do with driving ability.
Kyle couldn't keep his Xfinity car at the track. Do you think he would have worked on his own car, worked on his fathers car, hauled them on a trailer around the country to races and then back home for little more than feeding his family???
Any idea of putting down these old timers who made it possible for the modern millionaires, should be something to be ashamed of.

Kyle couldn't keep his Xfinity car at the track. Do you think he would have worked on his own car, worked on his fathers car, hauled them on a trailer around the country to races and then back home for little more than feeding his family???
Any idea of putting down these old timers who made it possible for the modern millionaires, should be something to be ashamed of.
Very well stated, Pete. I agree 100%.

Yeah, I think my days of posting inside info from intimate sources (especially when they are the source) are over. Too much risk, not enough reward. It was much more fun & innocent before Reddit got a hold of stuff. I'll stick to sharing the gossip I hear!

Still miss you round here. @Allenbaba

Do you think he would have worked on his own car, worked on his fathers car, hauled them on a trailer around the country to races and then back home for little more than feeding his family???

Why do you think he wouldn't? Just because of what you see in an interview? Because of the way he looks? The way he acts? This is the kind of crap I can't stand. You judge the man's character by what you see on TV, and what you want to believe. You don't know Kyle. I have it on good authority that the guy might race for Top Ramen.

Why do you think he wouldn't? Just because of what you see in an interview? Because of the way he looks? The way he acts? This is the kind of crap I can't stand. You judge the man's character by what you see on TV, and what you want to believe. You don't know Kyle. I have it on good authority that the guy might race for Top Ramen.

I'm definitely not a Kyle fan but I think he probably has a better mechanical understanding of the car than most guys in the field. In some ways he reminds me of Smoke and seems like he doesn't seem too interested in what the trophy (or money is) he just want to race and win

I'm definitely not a Kyle fan but I think he probably has a better mechanical understanding of the car than most guys in the field. In some ways he reminds me of Smoke and seems like he doesn't seem too interested in what the trophy (or money is) he just want to race and win

One of the things I was told by someone who would absolutely know is that when they decided to split Kyle and Steve Addington it was primarily because Kyle was bringing so much technical feedback so quickly that they would get lost because Addington tried to address all of the data Kyle was feeding. Rogers did much the same thing. Stevens is more about Kyle telling him what he is feeling, and he makes the decisions. I have been told by many that KB is extremely smart about his race cars. ....but you know, it is easier for Disliker Nation to ingest the narrative that KB is spoiled, rich, hates everybody, knows nothing about race cars, doesn't care, and is a complete jerk. We would rather embrace the romanticism of a kid stuck in NASCAR when he really wants to be on a dirt track with the common people filling the stands....

One of the things I was told by someone who would absolutely know is that when they decided to split Kyle and Steve Addington it was primarily because Kyle was bringing so much technical feedback so quickly that they would get lost because Addington tried to address all of the data Kyle was feeding. Rogers did much the same thing. Stevens is more about Kyle telling him what he is feeling, and he makes the decisions. I have been told by many that KB is extremely smart about his race cars. ....but you know, it is easier for Disliker Nation to ingest the narrative that KB is spoiled, rich, hates everybody, knows nothing about race cars, doesn't care, and is a complete jerk. We would rather embrace the romanticism of a kid stuck in NASCAR when he really wants to be on a dirt track with the common people filling the stands....
Kyle is spoiled, mostly a jerk, and would have lost his job years ago if he wasn't winning constantly. In fact there are some people out there who need him to win (they are associated with him) who actively root for him to lose because of how horrible he can be. He's not a likeable dude off the track. But he's definitely an elite talent (one of the best ever), and he does know a ton about cars. He brings JGR and TRD a tremendous amount of value on the track. Enough to deal with him off the track.

Kyle is spoiled, mostly a jerk, and would have lost his job years ago if he wasn't winning constantly. In fact there are some people out there who need him to win (they are associated with him) who actively root for him to lose because of how horrible he can be. He's not a likeable dude off the track. But he's definitely an elite talent (one of the best ever), and he does know a ton about cars. He brings JGR and TRD a tremendous amount of value on the track. Enough to deal with him off the track.
No big surprise here. I always assumed his attitude is what got him the boot from HMS.

Yeah there was no way those homemade videos of him signing fan's hats at red lights and so on were going to skew my opinion of the guy. We've seen WAY to many instances showing the opposite behavior to all of the sudden believe that he's a changed man.

For the record, I know Kyle's fun to pile on, but he's FAR from the only jerk in the garage, driver or otherwise. In fact I could even make a case that at least he's genuine. He says what's on his mind. There are many people in the garage, especially exec types, whose true nastiness comes out behind closed doors and behind your back.

Yeah there was no way those homemade videos of him signing fan's hats at red lights and so on were going to skew my opinion of the guy. We've seen WAY to many instances showing the opposite behavior to all of the sudden believe that he's a changed man.

Those videos always annoyed me. Yes its cool that you do that but the only reason you post something like that on social media is to get "credit" for being a good guy.

For the record, I know Kyle's fun to pile on, but he's FAR from the only jerk in the garage, driver or otherwise. In fact I could even make a case that at least he's genuine. He says what's on his mind. There are many people in the garage, especially exec types, whose true nastiness comes out behind closed doors and behind your back.
Makes sense. Fans only see whats on camera. Most celebs are the same way. Why the saying “never meet your heroes” exists.

I've had the opportunity to meet & socialize with some elite athletes (non NASCAR), and they are all intense personalities. Seems the intensity they show in competition doesn't turn off after the finish. Not all but most. Must be part of the psychology of a top contender.

I give Kyle credit for "owning" his role as a "heel". And at the end of his career we will all be able to say "I saw him drive back in the day, and he was good...maybe the best of the modern age".

Race car drivers, regardless of the level are a different kind of animal. Even the really nice ones have an edge to them. If you have a thin skin, it's best to give them a wide berth.

Back
Top Bottom