Kyle Busch after Texas

if the new car next year still sucks,
many old cuppers wont stick around,
kfb will do a year in trucks to get the triple championships,
or he will pull a tony stewart and give deegan a truck ride so nascar will gift him another cup,
then go to trucks.

The problem is that the NASCAR supplied alternative was even worse. The current package is crappy, but it does often supply some excitement. Their low downforce package (which I supported) supplied long naps on the couch. I STILL think there is a low downforce package that could give us the best of best of both worlds, but it doesn't look like anybody is interested in even TRYING to figure it out.
its called the xfinity package

That battle was awesome. Very exhilarating to watch that again
and those cars are FLYING. Watching these neutered cars on 1.5m+ tracks for a few years has really taken a toll. The cars now take what seems like 2-3 laps to get “up to speed” meanwhile those cars in the video are sailing it into turn 1 and come blazing down the back stretch.

Asked whether the radio message regarding O’Donnell was about the tires, Busch doubled down.

“No, the package,” Busch said. “Every time you run somebody down, then they accordion you backwards, and then you run them down, and then they accordion backwards. It’s terrible. It’s a joke. But sign me up for more, I guess.”

If nascar doesn’t change the rules package soon I don’t see Busch hanging around much longer. He doesn’t seem to be having fun like he used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinda funny that a driver with a new owner, team and crew chief that was off the previous year and is driving a car he had no previous experience with = Kyle Larson, seems to be able to race and win at these tracks as well as other drivers.

Kinda funny that a driver with a new owner, team and crew chief that was off the previous year and is driving a car he had no previous experience with = Kyle Larson, seems to be able to race and win at these tracks as well as other drivers.
Eh, KDB hasn't figured out that Nascar doesn't revolve around him. The younger driver crowd doesn't care if he doesn't like the racing, they hammer down and run hard whatever the setup is. No surprise that Larson who can drive anything fast is leading the way and he isn't a whiner.

Doesn’t matter if he’s lost a step or not, a miserable man will only be miserable for so long is the point I’m getting at. Attitude can go a long way and if he doesn’t want to be there than he won’t. Hell, he’s in position to race for a championship right now and yet he’s still bashing nascar and calling them out.

Reactions: sdj
Doesn’t matter if he’s lost a step or not, a miserable man will only be miserable for so long is the point I’m getting at. Attitude can go a long way and if he doesn’t want to be there than he won’t. Hell, he’s in position to race for a championship right now and yet he’s still bashing nascar and calling them out.

Kyle has found something to complain about every since he set foot in Nascar and those of us who have been around for awhile have seen years of this B.S.. He's at the last team on the block that would put up with his B.S. because of it. Teams would rather take the hit and get rid of him than put up with the mess of a man he is. He has his fan base sure, but he ain't running $hit , race for a championship or not.

Kyle has found something to complain about every since he set foot in Nascar and those of us who have been around for awhile have seen years of this B.S.. He's at the last team on the block that would put up with his B.S. because of it. Teams would rather take the hit and get rid of him than put up with the mess of a man he is. He has his fan base sure, but he ain't running $hit , race for a championship or not.
You know something is wrong if Rick Hendrick boots you to the curb. He thinks of his drivers as family.

he’s in position to race for a championship right now and yet he’s still bashing nascar and calling them out.
Remember this is the guy who won the first COT race and said “these cars suck”.

He can be right about two things at once.

Last team? It's only the second team he has been on in his cup career. I would say just about any other team except Hendrick would hire him in a heartbeat and deal with his BS. He brings sponsorship and wins races, nobody cares about his BS as long as he continues too.

Last team? It's only the second team he has been on in his cup career. I would say just about any other team except Hendrick would hire him in a heartbeat and deal with his BS. He brings sponsorship and wins races, nobody cares about his BS as long as he continues too.
yeah hold my watch Childress would be dying to hire him :laugh: Boy I bet he would fit right in at Penske

Kyle is a better driver than Dillion and Reddick combined. At the end of his career he will be an all time top 10 driver.

I wonder what they will call it next year. 670/550 down from 750/550.
Has it been confirmed which races will be using 550 hp next year?
I hope that with the redesigned aerodynamics, the new splitter and (hopefully) smaller spoilers on the NextGen car, racing at intermediates will improve even if they continue using the 550 hp engine package.

Has it been confirmed which races will be using 550 hp next year?
I hope that with the redesigned aerodynamics, the new splitter and (hopefully) smaller spoilers on the NextGen car, racing at intermediates will improve even if they continue using the 550 hp engine package.
nope, Bob Pockrass mentioned it, but I haven't heard anybody else say it. Pockrass has been fairly reliable though.
I agree. I think they have spent buku bucks designing the new car. It probably won't be super good at first, it will take teams awhile to figure it out, but Nascar will never stop improving the car.

and those cars are FLYING. Watching these neutered cars on 1.5m+ tracks for a few years has really taken a toll. The cars now take what seems like 2-3 laps to get “up to speed” meanwhile those cars in the video are sailing it into turn 1 and come blazing down the back stretch.
what I enjoyed from the clip you posted was the throttle response through the corner and the precise response time to set up a pass and then completing it. Larson running the high line was a thing of beauty. and Jeff was still racey there at 43 years old vs Young Money. Fun times.

Anyone who says you can’t tell on the TV that are slower is FOS. We’ll probably never get battles like this again. NASCAR had a great package in 2014 and totally flubbed it up.

Yep, good racing in 2014 on the 1.5ers. It was the last year of full, unrestricted horsepower. The motors were turning over 9,000 rpm everywhere, and approaching 10,000 at some tracks. Horsepower was 850 to 900, depending on who you talked to. Also relatively high downforce by historical standards, although nowhere near the absurd levels dictated by today's NA18D formula.

For 2015, tapered spacers for all tracks cut peak power by about 125 horses, gearing rules reduced revs and thus power even further, and downforce was trimmed by a modest amount. The new engine rules were cost driven, I believe. Racing was terrible on the intermediates in 2015. The lower power with still relatively high amounts of drag and downforce combined to produce the absolute height of the "clean air is king" era. By May 2015 at Charlotte, NASCAR management and the owners agreed this new, lower-cost rules package couldn't stand without further tweaking.

From the drivers' side, Carl Edwards was leading a quiet, low key revolt. I've never really liked Edwards, but I greatly respected his persistent leadership in rallying the drivers and the fans to call for less drag/less downforce and more emphasis on race car driving skill in NASCAR. Brian France relented... despite his continuing proclamations that he wanted "more pack racing" on intermediate race tracks.

So for 2016, spoilers and splitters were cut down. Drivers and fans could see it was a step in the right direction, but more was needed. Again for 2017, downforce and drag were slashed, this time by a larger amount. And for 2018, a further smaller step.

I loved the racing of this era. To me, 2017-18 was one of NASCAR's true golden eras of great, skill-based racing. The "clean air problem" was reduced greatly. Having superior speed was way more important than having track position. Passing wasn't always easy (it ain't supposed to be easy), but it was always possible. A trailing car that was quicker could always pass a slower leading car, unlike today's situation of "track position rules."

By 2018, I felt we needed just two things... first, rules to slash side force which made side-by-side running and passing difficult; and second, some rules stability which would allow Chevy and Ford to catch up with Toyota, which adapted to the 2018 downforce quicker than the others. These two further changes... sharply lower side force and a little time to facilitate the learning curve... would mediate the problem of TRD dominance fans were whining about.

Alas, it was not to be. BZF and Marcus Smith saw their opening and they pounced... make Charlotte like Talladega!... make Michigan like Daytona!... Atlanta too... Texas and Kansas... even Homestead for Christ's sake. The concept of a racing meritocracy has been repealed and replaced by flaccid motors and WFO flat-footed droning around. Every god damned race leaves me grumpy and unsatisfied. @ChexOrWrex that video clip you posted just reminds me how unsatisfied I am with this NA18D style of entertainment performance... :bleh: Thanks for posting it, now get off my lawn!!

Last edited:
If you watch closely on that clip or any others of that era, you would see single file racing after the first lap. In that particular clip, Gordon and Larson were they only two racing. Kez was gone and the others were parading along in single file. No doubt it made the highlights there were so few battles.

Wasn't the reason they slowed the cars down was that insurance didn't want them going that fast all the time? I can't exactly remember

Wasn't the reason they slowed the cars down was that insurance didn't want them going that fast all the time? I can't exactly remember
I don't remember insurance having anything to do with it. What was said was above certain speeds the cars were hard to keep from flying. All it takes is one flying n the stands, public outcry, and with a stroke of the pen from a politician, and racing is done or sued into bankruptcy

There was no situation in the pre-package Gen6 era where a car was close to flying into the stands
With the increased cornering speeds, it seems like they actually take harder hits (see Brickyard 2020).

Talladega crash victim, 20, recovering after surgeries​

And the even slower Xfinity's

30 fans injured in Nationwide crash​

Talladega crash victim, 20, recovering after surgeries​

And the even slower Xfinity's

30 fans injured in Nationwide crash​

Plate races (where NASCAR increased horsepower in 2019 btw.)

Should be running low horsepower at the Superspeedway tracks and 900 HP everywhere else haha.

I’m sure Newman is real thrilled with that logic

Plate races (where NASCAR increased horsepower in 2019 btw.)
No wait, I thought you said it didn't happen? I believe it did, and there have been many close calls even with reduced speeds. BTW it can happen on the mile and a half's also. You flat footers can do your thing, but sanity says unless Nascar can show they were trying to do something about it BEFORE it happens it won't look good for them on a public scale.

There was no situation in the pre-package Gen6 era where a car was close to flying into the stands
With the increased cornering speeds, it seems like they actually take harder hits (see Brickyard 2020).
Exactly correct. Comparing 2018 at intermediate tracks versus the NA18D package that appeared in 2019, cornering speeds are way higher (due to high downforce) and straightaway speeds are way lower (due to neutered motors and high drag).

The problem is *not* that overall laptimes are slower now. The problem is that the cars are going approximately the same speed the whole lap, never braking, never lifting (or just barely lifting for a brief moment), and unable to accelerate off the corners. It is WFO flat-foot droning around that leaves fans of skill-based racing unsatisfied.

Some people say, well, it is entertaining. I'm not one of them. I find a stern contest of driving skill to be compelling and entertaining. I can't speak for others, but I know I'm not alone in what entertains me.

No wait, I thought you said it didn't happen? I believe it did, and there have been many close calls even with reduced speeds. BTW it can happen on the mile and a half's also. You flat footers can do your thing, but sanity says unless Nascar can show they were trying to do something about it BEFORE it happens it won't look good for them on a public scale.

Or they could tarp off some rows like Monster Jam and stop letting fans be dip****s during the race instead of holding everyone with kid gloves

Exactly correct. Comparing 2018 at intermediate tracks versus the NA18D package that appeared in 2019, cornering speeds are way higher (due to high downforce) and straightaway speeds are way lower (due to neutered motors and high drag).

The problem is *not* that overall laptimes are slower now. The problem is that the cars are going approximately the same speed the whole lap, never braking, never lifting (or just barely lifting for a brief moment), and unable to accelerate off the corners. It is WFO flat-foot droning around that leaves fans of skill-based racing unsatisfied.

Some people say, well, it is entertaining. I'm not one of them. I find a stern contest of driving skill to be compelling and entertaining. I can't speak for others, but I know I'm not alone in what entertains me.
I don't know what you flat footers are going to do next year with even less HP. Speeds will be slower.

The new car is being designed for even closer racing, not single file parading with a pass here and there. They won't be built out of thin china but reinforced body panels with removable front and rear sections. They can't lower the car because or the rub strips for more speed in the corners, nor are they going to be running the flat bill board quarter panels they ran during the aero wars of the past. The cars will be up off the track and they will be running pretty big spoilers on the larger tracks. I don't see any of this delighting a flat footer to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom