Kyle Busch apologies

Context matters. And I think people need to be somewhat forgiving when people use the r-word in this context because it is a new thing for that word to not be okay to say. Not that it was ever okay, but it's a pretty recent thing for the use of that word to be worthy of cancelation.

Kyle didn't use that as a slur either, IMO. Again, context matters.
Respectfully no. If his son was intellectually impaired he would have never used that word. Bank on it.

As someone who works in mental health (as does my significant other), let me say this.

Kyle's use of the word wasn't derogatory. The context itself was not harmful. That's not the issue. I recognize that the word was once clinically acceptable. Here's the thing though, the DSM 5 is different than the 4, and the 6 will be different than the 5. Clinical terminology in the mental health community is contestantly changing and evolving with respect to societal impact.

Kyle's intent is not relevant here. He's being made an example. The reality is that a once clinical term has developed derogatory connotations over the years. It's developed into a slang adjective with both derrogatory and non derrogatory intent.

The issue here isn't about intent. The issue is the acceptance that an outdated clinical term, which has developed associations and meaning beyond it's origins, has become part of modern vocabulary, when it shouldn't.

Kyle isn't being punished for an implication, he's being punished as an example of a word being casually accessible that shouldn't be.

Should he lose his job? **** no. Should he be labeled as a bad person? Nope. Was his comment ignorant of the word, it's evolution and use? Sure. Yeah.

So, he's received a non monetary punishment, a non career or personality altering punishment, and is mandated to receive a brief education on it.

Punishment fits the crime.

And it's not a crime. Just an uneducated man who didn't know better, and now he does.

Believe that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Nope. He knew better. He is a smart man. Education has nothing to do with this. I am disappointed. I will get over it.

Poor choice of words on Kyle’s part.
Over-reaction by anyone that is offended.
Depends tbh. That word where Kyle didn't mean it in that way, just shouldn't be used. Maybe it's because I know people who it would be used against in such a way. Plus one of my best friends brother as well, so I really just don't like the word.

Depends tbh. That word where Kyle didn't mean it in that way, just shouldn't be used. Maybe it's because I know people who it would be used against in such a way. Plus one of my best friends brother as well, so I really just don't like the word.
Sure, that’s why I said poor choice of words. My guess is Kyle was thinking Brad was a dork, goof, idiot, moron, etc.
If Brad was actually mentally compromised then Kyle’s comment could have really been offensive.

Sure, that’s why I said poor choice of words. My guess is Kyle was thinking Brad was a dork, goof, idiot, moron, etc.
If Brad was actually mentally compromised then Kyle’s comment could have really been offensive.
Probably best to use them words from now on. I do agree it be more offensive if so, but uh idk. I just rather the word not be used. Hopefully he'll choose his words wisely next time.

The generation that has rightful claim to that title is mostly gone now.

Hard times create strong people
Strong people create good times
Good times create weak people
Weak people create hard times

What do you exactly consider weak people by chance? Just wondering, cause some people see it differently.

For a little perspective on this incident, nobody with a mentally challenged child or family member refers to them as “retarded.”
Nobody is medically diagnosed as “retarded.”
It is a dated word and IMO, no longer refers to someone with an actual medical or scientific diagnosis or condition.
Again, I’m agreeing that it was a poor choice of terminology but I don’t think the pearl clutchers really have a leg here.

He practically used several other synonyms for "retard(ed)" in his interview but it's only that word which drew attention. It doesn't make sense to me. I could see how it would be sinister if he was referring to someone with a disability as a retard, but for crying out loud... it was Brad Keselowski who was on the other end of that scope. It's not hard to fathom Brad doing something that one may say is a bit ... from time to time. Though I'll admit it seems that he's mellowed out quite a bit.

Nope. He knew better. He is a smart man. Education has nothing to do with this. I am disappointed. I will get over it.
It’s like myself and Deegan. I was disappointed she used the word she did. I choose to cheer for a driver regardless of their faults

But he's emotionally impulsive. Insight, thoughtfulness, and that filter goes out the window when you get "stupid" or "hot" like that. And he slid in a word he shouldn't have. Maybe he knew better. But he didn't have the self control to filter the use of that word.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That generation did amazing things during wartime. Current generations get offended by everything and think the government should pay for their poor choices.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Yeah and the generation before that ****s on that one, and the one before that, etc. all generations have goods and bad.

Back
Top Bottom