Kyle Busch's decision to stop before the race ended

Charlie Spencer

Road courses and short tracks.
Was Kyle right or wrong to drive to the garage while the race was red flagged? Does anyone know what conversations Kyle had with the team on the subject?

From the stands, while everyone else was stopped under red, I watched Kyle back up from turn 2 back to the middle of turn 1. I figured maybe he just wanted to wait in the shade. He drove forward like he was going to enter pit road from the wrong end, but stopped after just a few feet. He sat there for a few minutes, then entered pit road and went to the garage.

Was this an understandable move by a team with nothing to gain, or failure to give sponsors their money's worth, or just overall poor sportsmanship to quit early? Discuss; use back of page if necessary.

I will. :D
Many a driver has stayed on track with a wounded car. As long as they are not hampering other cars, I believe they have an obligation to sponsors and driver fans.

I will. :D
Many a driver has stayed on track with a wounded car. As long as they are not hampering other cars, I believe they have an obligation to sponsors and driver fans.
While many have stayed out, it's usually with the hope someone else will drop out and can eventually be passed. Kyle wasn't going to pass anyone with 8 laps left to run.

I don't have any feeling one way or the other. I just wanted to get the subject out of the 'Rate the race' thread.

Given the context his car was totaled, then yeah he did the right thing.

(But he's still a poopy head)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ post of the year material ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I only wish I could like the post a few thousand times

I am disappointed. Nobody is going to bring up that he left the track when he was with Hendrick, and when the car was ready, he wasn't to be found? This is extremely disappointing to me. I expect more from his board.

I am disappointed. Nobody is going to bring up that he left the track when he was with Hendrick, and when the car was ready, he wasn't to be found? This is extremely disappointing to me. I expect more from his board.

We all like Kyle now where have you been? Lol

:lol2: I watched the race and until now did not even know he had left the track before the race was over! :lol2:

When forced to endure him via broadcast is one thing, other than that, I do not care where he is on or off the track.:idunno:
The track reporters breathed a sigh of relief that they didn't have to suffer thru yet another Kyle interview.

I’m going to vote poor sport. Junior wanted to park his car at homestead, but his crew chief demanded he stay out there until the checker, personally I’m glad he did. It is just a bad look. If he had significant damage, preventing him from maintaining minimum speed, obviously park it. But if he is only looking for excuses to get off a hot track, **** him. Brads front tire was wobbling the entire race, but he still managed to hang in there. Seemed to me Busch was frustrated that he couldn’t navigate to the front, and instead of sitting in a hot car with the rest of his fellow competitors, decide to just park it. Not good, and this isn’t the first time he has refused to give a hundred percent.

I don't like it because plain and simple you were hired to do a job and you quit. If the car is capable of making minimum speed your job is to drive that car around the track and he didn't.

If he had stayed out and been involved in a wreck while being lapped there would be many in here saying he should have parked it but immaturity and petulance blah blah blah.
If he becomes lap traffic on that course in 10 laps or whatever was left there's no way he was maintaining minimum speed. It takes roughly 82 seconds to make a lap, you'd have to be 8 seconds off the pace.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Good decision, no need to sit in the sauna on a red flag and be dehydrated for next week, get a leg up on fitness for Dover. I'd argue he got extra sponsor exposure since they showed him standing there in his flatbill hazelnut gear for a good 15 seconds on a national broadcast. KB is one step ahead of the game.

Oh please, R-F peeps -- lapped beat up car getting ready to throw parts on track, slide into a something, lay down oil or whatever else -- as I get ready to throw my diet coke at the TV! :D

Get off the track -- no more back-marker Cautions, Montoya delays, or the grease-man yesterday forcing the red flag (which was the right call as NASCAR wasted all those other laps under Caution up to that point).

That's the luxury he's earned by accumulating stage points, I suppose. These early rounds are more about the chaff than the wheat, sadly.

Meanwhile at Bubba Wallace's house:

Bubba: What's this? Some kinda smart a** sent me flowers? A card...hmmmm..."Hey Bubba, thanks for taking the heat off me. When you are ready to talk, let me tell you about coming to the Dark Side. Regards, KB".

I'm a KB fan, yea I like to see him on the track, Not worth it with a broken sway bar. You see countless cars through the year with damage...those cars can easily bring out 3 cautions because of numerous flat tires, or dropping debris on the track. He did the right thing not to hamper the end of the race

There no reason for him stay out, there was nothing to gain by it.

Back
Top Bottom