Kyle Larson Appreciation Thread

With what happened with the 600 last night, Kyle, Jeff and Mr H absolutely made the right choice to stay at Indy. Now is Nascar butthurt over it, maybe. Now it will be interesting to see if Kyle gets a waiver.

I feel bad for all of Larson's fans who watched him **** can a 30 point lead in the Driver's Championship.....15 bonus points.....the equivalent of three wins if he can't recover. Remember Charlotte in '22? He was a lock until he wasn't.

If NASCAR is going to celebrate and promote The Double, then maybe they just need to move the 600 to Memorial Day. The track at Indy is legendary, but the competition isn't since the split IMO....but I get it I guess.

As for the waiver.....NASCAR is in a corner. Probably just need to **** can the participation rule altogether, honestly. Can you deny the waiver to Larson? Probably should....but you really can't....see my opening statement. Wouldn't want to see his fans screwed.
I'm speaking for myself only of course, but as a long time Larson fan there is no need to feel sorry for me, because he has already proved he can win NASCAR championships, and Larson winning the Indy 500 the most prestigious race in the world would trump any championship he could ever win in any series. Watching him race in the Indy 500 yesterday was even more exiting to me than when he races in the Chili Bowl Nationals. I would be very surprised if I'm the only Larson fan that feels this way. Splitting those 2 races up on different days would take away the excitement of doing the double. One of the big attractions is the fact that a driver is racing 1,100 miles on the same day at 2 race tracks almost 600 miles apart. You will never be able to control the weather so things like yesterday will happen occasionally. That's just life and things don't always go as planned.

I'm speaking for myself only of course, but as a long time Larson fan there is no need to feel sorry for me, because he has already proved he can win NASCAR championships, and Larson winning the Indy 500 the most prestigious race in the world would trump any championship he could ever win in any series. Watching him race in the Indy 500 yesterday was even more exiting to me than when he races in the Chili Bowl Nationals. I would be very surprised if I'm the only Larson fan that feels this way. Splitting those 2 races up on different days would take away the excitement of doing the double. One of the big attractions is the fact that a driver is racing 1,100 miles on the same day at 2 race tracks almost 600 miles apart. You will never be able to control the weather so things like yesterday will happen occasionally. That's just life and things don't always go as planned.
I do not see the 500 as the most prestigious race in the world. I just don't....and The Double does nothing for me. I am truly glad that you have it all in perspective, and I am very glad that Coach apparently prohibits this stuff.....only because I want MY guys on a NASCAR track, and I want to believe (real or imagined) that a championship in that series is the ultimate. I will tell you this, if one of MY guys did what Larson did yesterday, I would not be as patient as you with it all. If Larson has met all of his goals in NASCAR, maybe it is time for him to move on?

I do not see the 500 as the most prestigious race in the world. I just don't....and The Double does nothing for me. I am truly glad that you have it all in perspective, and I am very glad that Coach apparently prohibits this stuff.....only because I want MY guys on a NASCAR track, and I want to believe (real or imagined) that a championship in that series is the ultimate. I will tell you this, if one of MY guys did what Larson did yesterday, I would not be as patient as you with it all. If Larson has met all of his goals in NASCAR, maybe it is time for him to move on?
That is your prerogative what you like or don't like but I already went through this with you a few years ago when you said the same thing about Larson and the Chili Bowl. My view hasn't changed.

Where do you get any idea from anything I said that warrants any patients? There were no patients involved...I was 100% in support of the double and will be 100% in support of it again if HMS decides they want to do it again. You are trying too hard Rev. :D

Where do you get any idea from anything I said that warrants any patients? There were no patients involved...I was 100% in support of the double and will be 100% in support of it again if HMS decides they want to do it again. You are trying too hard Rev. :D
Maybe the word is tolerant......

Maybe the word is tolerant......
I know where you stand when it comes to Larson, and you know where I stand so enough said. Because I'm not trying to change your mind and you are not going to change mine. ;)

If NASCAR is going to celebrate and promote The Double, then maybe they just need to move the 600 to Memorial Day. The track at Indy is legendary, but the competition isn't since the split IMO....but I get it I guess.
I don't think NASCAR was the only racing organization promoting Kyle Larson. If one of these races should be moved then technically I think it is the Indy 500 since they have a long history of not running the race on Sunday the same day as the 600. Let them go back to their roots. They made the change to it's schedule so the races would be on the same day.

You know if one of the rice burners in Nascar decided to run the 500 we would have to listen to Rev tell us how wonderful it is. You can't take the guy serious. No reason to get excited. lol.

You know if one of the rice burners in Nascar decided to run the 500 we would have to listen to Rev tell us how wonderful it is. You can't take the guy serious. No reason to get excited. lol.
Only if Toyota is in Indy Car......If WE are not there, and one of MY guys gets into a Chevy or God forbid a Honda.....I'm going inpatient.

I don't think NASCAR was the only racing organization promoting Kyle Larson. If one of these races should be moved then technically I think it is the Indy 500 since they have a long history of not running the race on Sunday the same day as the 600. Let them go back to their roots. They made the change to it's schedule so the races would be on the same day.
Look, anybody who doesn't understand how much Indy Car gets off on Larson skipping the 600 in favor of the 500 doesn't understand the history of Indy Car. One of the things that led to the split was George's boner over NASCAR kicking Indy's ass.....ready Oreovicz's book. To take the points leader in NASCAR, and have him **** can a crown jewel, give up the points lead....all for the 500.....just wow.

Look, anybody who doesn't understand how much Indy Car gets off on Larson skipping the 600 in favor of the 500 doesn't understand the history of Indy Car. One of the things that led to the split was George's boner over NASCAR kicking Indy's ass.....ready Oreovicz's book. To take the points leader in NASCAR, and have him **** can a crown jewel, give up the points lead....all for the 500.....just wow.
Move on dude. Nobody is buying what you are trying to sell.

More importantly, Kyle Larson disappointed to his core tweeted this. The last to lines of this Tweet threw down on what he was going to try to do.
But is Nascar going to give him a waiver?

You know your point brings up what I was thinking and talking about yesterday with my family I had over. If it came down to it….id have chosen Larson win the Indianapolis 500 rather than another Cup. You see growing up in the Midwest like I did and still living here, the Indianapolis 500 is the most prestigious race in the world. You kind of have to live here to get it, Indianapolis Motor Speedway is the holiest place in motorsports. When I do get to attend one of these one of these years (was supposed to go this year, but had life changing circumstances happen) it’s going to be like going to heaven. Sorry for the meandering but yeah I don’t care about the waiver, I wanted him to win the 500

You know your point brings up what I was thinking and talking about yesterday with my family I had over. If it came down to it….id have chosen Larson win the Indianapolis 500 rather than another Cup. You see growing up in the Midwest like I did and still living here, the Indianapolis 500 is the most prestigious race in the world. You kind of have to live here to get it, Indianapolis Motor Speedway is the holiest place in motorsports. When I do get to attend one of these one of these years (was supposed to go this year, but had life changing circumstances happen) it’s going to be like going to heaven. Sorry for the meandering but yeah I don’t care about the waiver, I wanted him to win the 500
I grew up about 15 miles west of Indy.

345,000 people attended the 108th running of this event yesterday, no other race can claim either. Your comment is ridiculous. Let’s not forget Chevrolet is the only OEM that races in both, nothing wrong with them wanting Larson in this

It just goes to show that you can't please everyone, even when doing great things. If you are doing anything significant, you can count on the fact that somebody out there doesn't approve of it, and they will be talking about you.

This is also true in everyday life, and I used to tell the people I trained at work to be prepared for coworkers to talk about them and the decisions they would need to make while performing their manufacturing jobs (even for routine things that would never make the media's news cycle).

Larson represented NASCAR and grassroots racing extremely well. I am almost certain the logistics and routine would be more difficult than most families could handle.

Larson has nothing to be ashamed of and doesn't owe any apologies to race fans. He is being too hard on himself; you can't be two places at once or control the weather.

There are people who are racing fans first and foremost and people who are NASCAR fans first and foremost. The latter group isn't going to be enthusiastic about any NASCAR driver doing other things and the former is. That's just how I see this entire discourse.

I don't see Lewis Hamilton missing a F1 race for another series. Ever.
When will one of these Indy guys try The Double?
I have questions....probably unpopular, but I have questions....and obviously I feel very differently than some about all of this.
I appreciate Larson as a benchmark in NASCAR, and it isn't just his fans he let down by skipping the 600. How about those that wanted to see him get beat? It isn't just about The Fallon supporters.....but The Chain Gang did call it the Hendrick 1100, didn't they?

When Robby Gordon did the double like 3 years in a row I cheered for him. I thought prime Smoke when he did the double in 99 and 01, was a p*rick of the highest order as well as detesting The Preacher all those years ago but I still cheered for him to do it. I cheered for Kurt Busch, the Double Outlaw too. I don’t get racing fans, this double is very rare and doesn’t happen often. Racing fans are weird, very tribalistic but hey they haven’t met a topic their behinds couldn’t take a dump on.

Uh oh......Best get to Joey Logano's "Behind the Wheel" for his insight on all of this. He isn't as forgiving as most. "What if I want to run a late model, and skip a race?" "He chose the 500 over NASCAR." Wow.

I don't see Lewis Hamilton missing a F1 race for another series. Ever.
When will one of these Indy guys try The Double?
I have questions....probably unpopular, but I have questions....and obviously I feel very differently than some about all of this.
I appreciate Larson as a benchmark in NASCAR, and it isn't just his fans he let down by skipping the 600. How about those that wanted to see him get beat? It isn't just about The Fallon supporters.....but The Chain Gang did call it the Hendrick 1100, didn't they?
Well, Lewis Hamilton makes multiples of any domestic US race car driver and competes in a series that almost always has a significant conflict between itself and Indy. I don't think anyone is enough of a NASCAR homer to suggest that the Coca Cola 600 is at the same level as the Indy 500 or Monaco GP in terms of global interest and appeal either.

Bill France would have a lot of opinions current fans might not like about modern NASCAR and this isn't even scratching the surface. Why trot his corpse out for this and not any of the other litany of things going on with NASCAR?
Because there isn't NASCAR without Bill France Sr. Maybe Jim France can help with this.

Uh oh......Best get to Joey Logano's "Behind the Wheel" for his insight on all of this. He isn't as forgiving as most. "What if I want to run a late model, and skip a race?" "He chose the 500 over NASCAR." Wow.
Joey Logano: There's a guy who has done wonders for the popularity of NASCAR. Surely someone who's opinion should really matter!

Bill France would have a lot of opinions current fans might not like about modern NASCAR and this isn't even scratching the surface. Why trot his corpse out for this and not any of the other litany of things going on with NASCAR?
Because he is grasping at straws lol.

Well, Lewis Hamilton makes multiples of any domestic US race car driver and competes in a series that almost always has a significant conflict between itself and Indy. I don't think anyone is enough of a NASCAR homer to suggest that the Coca Cola 600 is at the same level as the Indy 500 or Monaco GP in terms of global interest and appeal either.
Do you think Ferrari would release him next year for the 500?

Back
Top Bottom