Kyle Larson Appreciation Thread

now if you could just change the number of championships on the books from three when mediocre Joe was a third tier GM sponsored team, to 2 when he is all Toyota has. Google that. :laugh:
Yawn.

Man oh man, what a drive he had at Phoenix, start at back, go to front, pit speeding, go to back then to the front again, another pit speeding ticket, to the back and then to the front again o_O. He was driving the wheels off that thing and was not married to the high groove, he now is working the whole track and making it look easy. It is my humble opinion if not for the speeding issues on pit road, he would have been fighting for the win for sure.

Man oh man, what a drive he had at Phoenix, start at back, go to front, pit speeding, go to back then to the front again, another pit speeding ticket, to the back and then to the front again o_O. He was driving the wheels off that thing and was not married to the high groove, he now is working the whole track and making it look easy. It is my humble opinion if not for the speeding issues on pit road, he would have been fighting for the win for sure.

He was very fast--especially on pit road. Congrats.

Yep, he is really putting on a good show for his fans. I hardly even paid that much attention to where the rest of the HMS cars were yesterday because I was so interested in the show he was putting on. He has definitely brought a whole new excitement to NASCAR weekends this year...for me anyway. He is definitely making Chevy look pretty good. 🏁🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁

I was starting to think he was speeding on purpose so he would get to pass more cars.

I was starting to think he was speeding on purpose so he would get to pass more cars.
They did say pre race how starting at the back was so terrible he may not recover. I think he made it look easy. His pit crew also did a great job

Reactions: sdj
They did say pre race how starting at the back was so terrible he may not recover. I think he made it look easy. His pit crew also did a great job
Yeah I honestly think he learned something about pace at Phoenix. Pace hasn't been one of his stronger points. Pace was floor it until either something broke or he hit the wall. It was the most interesting parts of the race I thought watching him pick thru thru field without hardly spinning a wheel.

Yeah I honestly think he learned something about pace at Phoenix. Pace hasn't been one of his stronger points. Pace was floor it until either something broke or he hit the wall. It was the most interesting parts of the race I thought watching him pick thru thru field without hardly spinning a wheel.
Until they made the last pit stop and then what ever they did it caused the car to lose traction every time he tried to exit the corners. Just no forward bite at all.

Until they made the last pit stop and then what ever they did it caused the car to lose traction every time he tried to exit the corners. Just no forward bite at all.
I'm no expert just a guess but I would think it would be hard to tell what the car is doing when it spent the whole day almost in heavy traffic while the rest up front spent all day fine tuning their cars.

I'm no expert just a guess but I would think it would be hard to tell what the car is doing when it spent the whole day almost in heavy traffic while the rest up front spent all day fine tuning their cars.
I agree that is why I go off of what the driver says. There is no better expert then him... or her in some cases.

Whelp looks like Larson is the cream of the crop for Hendrick on intermediates so far. Impressive leading laps today, just extended late race tire fall off got him at the end. Frustrating to not capitalize on it but great sign of things to come and already having a win in the bank. I noticed he backed off putting Chase a lap down early too, when he easily could have pushed the issue, good teammate to have. He may not ever light it up on road courses dega/daytona/martinsville but I could see him dominating in a similar fashion to the way Harvick has in the past with the majority of his success coming from the 2/1.5's and select short tracks like Bristol/Dover where it fits his driving style. This new Hendrick equipment is clearly the best he's ever had.

It is so cool to see Kyle giving back to the community. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kyle starting or helping more foundations in the future. Just seeing how Kyle didn't give up and turned his life back around after his whole world came crashing down around him hopefully will give kids and adults the hope they need to never give up and keep fighting no matter the situation they are in. This just makes me that much more proud to be a Kyle Larson and HMS fan. I think there are to many people in this world that are ready to bury a person when they stumble in life.

I’m old enough to remember when people wanted Noah Gragson in the car instead 🙃

Whelp looks like Larson is the cream of the crop for Hendrick on intermediates so far. Impressive leading laps today, just extended late race tire fall off got him at the end. Frustrating to not capitalize on it but great sign of things to come and already having a win in the bank. I noticed he backed off putting Chase a lap down early too, when he easily could have pushed the issue, good teammate to have. He may not ever light it up on road courses dega/daytona/martinsville but I could see him dominating in a similar fashion to the way Harvick has in the past with the majority of his success coming from the 2/1.5's and select short tracks like Bristol/Dover where it fits his driving style. This new Hendrick equipment is clearly the best he's ever had.
Yep, I agree... I think Larson will hone his skills on those other tracks also in due time. Chase definitely owes Larson big time for keeping him on the lead lap. He is definitely a good teammate. I think right now HMS has very talented and team player type drivers on their roster.

Last edited:
I have been staning for him this season. He's really run well. There have been a few mechanical failures but what I have wondered is why he doesn't save his equipment a bit for the final stage. Yesterday he built up huge leads in stages 1 and 2. He has done this in other races. Maybe it wouldn't make a difference. Maybe others are sand bagging. I like that hes aggressive but maybe selective aggression would result in more wins and less 2nd place finishes.

I have been staning for him this season. He's really run well. There have been a few mechanical failures but what I have wondered is why he doesn't save his equipment a bit for the final stage. Yesterday he built up huge leads in stages 1 and 2. He has done this in other races. Maybe it wouldn't make a difference. Maybe others are sand bagging. I like that hes aggressive but maybe selective aggression would result in more wins and less 2nd place finishes.

The reason, as I see it, was his starting position in the last yellow restart and he even said it, the clean air out front was everything. This was a pure aero race if there ever was one and HMS was on their game in dealing with it at Dover.

And for all the 99,000 posts talking about how amazing he is he doesn't have the most wins on his team and is tied with Michael McDowell for wins this year. Pressure will really be on him when Chase dominates Sunday

Also, talk about bandwagoners. Most people disowned him as a human being and wanted him out of the sport a year ago. Now he's AJ Foyt 😛

Also: he’s almost 29.

Joey Logano is only 2 years older and has 28 wins and a championship.

Larson has 7 wins. He’s supremely talented but we’ve been saying for 7 years now “oh just wait till he learns to close out races!”

Still waiting. Not every race they lose is his fault but there’s been other drivers in nascar history that just didn’t have any luck at all. It’s always something, and the times his team doesn’t screw it up he does something stupid. He’s a more talented version of Kasey Kahne but has the same issues he did.

On dirt, the kid is a legend though. Won’t deny that

Larson has been trained to run all out because usually his races are very short.
He is still more open wheel than a cup driver.

He was passed in the pits by the fastest pit crew in the sport. It wasn't his lack of saving this or doing that for this race anyway. Passing is terrible to almost impossible at Dover when the leading car is completely out front in clean air. Even worse if it is your teammate and he probably didn't want to take a chance of wrecking both.

And for all the 99,000 posts talking about how amazing he is he doesn't have the most wins on his team and is tied with Michael McDowell for wins this year. Pressure will really be on him when Chase dominates Sunday

Also, talk about bandwagoners. Most people disowned him as a human being and wanted him out of the sport a year ago. Now he's AJ Foyt 😛
99,000? No. Tied with McDowell? That's one more than Hamlin, Harvick and Elliott. Most people? No.

Are you always this off base?

Let it be known, I was not one of these woke participants. :booya:

99,000? No. Tied with McDowell? That's one more than Hamlin, Harvick and Elliott. Most people? No.

Are you always this off base?

Nothing I said was off base. Hamlin has a 100 point lead in the standings, Chase will win Sunday, Harvick will break through soon. Larson failed to take advantage of a stretch with all of his best tracks and those drivers having “slow” starts.

And you’re more then welcome to scroll back a year and see what people on here were saying about him, I’d look it up for ya, but I’m not Bill Weber 😉

Nothing I said was off base. Hamlin has a 100 point lead in the standings, Chase will win Sunday, Harvick will break through soon. Larson failed to take advantage of a stretch with all of his best tracks and those drivers having “slow” starts.

And you’re more then welcome to scroll back a year and see what people on here were saying about him, I’d look it up for ya, but I’m not Bill Weber 😉
:XXROFL:

Also: he’s almost 29.

Joey Logano is only 2 years older and has 28 wins and a championship.

Larson has 7 wins. He’s supremely talented but we’ve been saying for 7 years now “oh just wait till he learns to close out races!”

Still waiting. Not every race they lose is his fault but there’s been other drivers in nascar history that just didn’t have any luck at all. It’s always something, and the times his team doesn’t screw it up he does something stupid. He’s a more talented version of Kasey Kahne but has the same issues he did.

On dirt, the kid is a legend though. Won’t deny that
Seriously? I think this constitutes being "supremely talented."

After just 13 races into the season with a new organization and not racing NASCAR almost all last year:
He has 1 race win.
He is currently 5th in points
He has lead more laps than any other driver
He has more stage wins than anyone.

I am thinking he deserves a full season with Hendrick before judgement is made regarding his inability to close out a race. Kahne was with Hendrick for 6 years, not sure how you can compare Larson to him after 13 races, other than that is "your opinion."

Comparing him to Logano who has been with a top tier team for 14 years after Larson being with a top tier team after 13 races doesn't make any sense to me.

Seriously? I think this constitutes being "supremely talented."

After just 13 races into the season with a new organization and not racing NASCAR almost all last year:
He has 1 race win.
He is currently 5th in points
He has lead more laps than any other driver
He has more stage wins than anyone.

I am thinking he deserves a full season with Hendrick before judgement is made regarding his inability to close out a race. Kahne was with Hendrick for 6 years, not sure how you can compare Larson to him after 13 races, other than that is "your opinion."

Comparing him to Logano who has been with a top tier team for 14 years after Larson being with a top tier team after 13 races doesn't make any sense to me.

I’ve never denied he’s not a great talent. Mark Martin is one of the most talented drivers I’ve ever seen, and he never won a title. All I’m saying is there’s a lot more to it then that. And he’s yet to have that major breakout season everyone has been waiting for. I’m comparing him to guys like Logano cause there’s people saying he’s the most talented driver in the sport? Who should he be compared to then? Almirola? Of course these things could change, but this is a message board and we talk racing. I’m basing on what’s happened so far. Maybe he’ll shut me up and go off and win 7 times, or maybe he won’t. None of this is personal

I’ve never denied he’s not a great talent. Mark Martin is one of the most talented drivers I’ve ever seen, and he never won a title. All I’m saying is there’s a lot more to it then that. And he’s yet to have that major breakout season everyone has been waiting for. I’m comparing him to guys like Logano cause there’s people saying he’s the most talented driver in the sport? Who should he be compared to then? Almirola? Of course these things could change, but this is a message board and we talk racing. I’m basing on what’s happened so far. Maybe he’ll shut me up and go off and win 7 times, or maybe he won’t. None of this is personal
What you haven't done or done very little of is producing facts. People say a lot of things about a lot of drivers. It would be more credible if you wouldn't use "everybody" and "people" and other exaggerations in comparisons to other drivers that make little sense. The facts are Larson has a large fan base, is a top 5 driver and is off to a hell of a start with a new team. Using the current points system to justify your arguments is a fools game for the most part.

You ask "Who should he be compared to then?" No one, it would be apples to Oranges, Larson is his own deal like every other driver.

In his entire career he finally is with a top tiered CUP equipment team. He did some amazing racing in the past with inferior equipment.

To start out with a new team, no practice and not having been in a Cup car for over a year, I'd say it is amazing he is doing as well as he is.

Say what you will, he is one hell of a wheel man, he is a natural born talent, that being said, with the help of HMS will hopefully bring him to his full potential.

100% off base confirmed, thanks.

Reactions: sdj
If Larson starts turning these 2nd place finishes into wins then I wouldn't be surprised to see him go on a 2 or 3 race winning streak. I also think the 48, 24, and 9 teams could grab another win or two before the playoffs. HMS is looking pretty good right now.

Back
Top Bottom