Kyle Larson Appreciation Thread

His post race interviews are so detailed too. I love it. He laid out his entire thought process.

Definitely is separating his dirt habits from his NASCAR habits.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I mean there just wasn't a chance to jump out really.

I just want that blue New Era flat brim HendrickCars.com Hat he wears, I cant find it anywhere.

“That’s his life,” Andretti told NBC Sports about Larson. “That’s what he loves. I identify with that. That’s the reason I gravitated toward him in a sense of being particularly interested in what he’s doing.
“He’s not the only one that interests me, but he just captured me in a very special way because I see a lot of myself there.”
Andretti, 81, is motorsports royalty. He’s the only driver to win a Daytona 500, Indianapolis 500 and Formula 1 championship. He sees Larson’s passion to race and family support to do so – just as Andretti had when he raced so many different vehicles – as key elements to Larson’s success.

Larson has had a season unlike any other. Among the favorites to claim the Cup title, he’s won one of NASCAR’s crown jewels, the Coca-Cola 600, along with four other points races and the All-Star Race. He’ll look to add to his trophy case with Saturday’s playoff event at Richmond Raceway (7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN).

Larson’s year also includes victories in multiple major dirt racing events. He won his second consecutive Chili Bowl Nationals in January. Larson won the Knoxville Nationals, one of the most prestigious sprint car events, in August. He also won the King’s Royal sprint car race in July.

No one has won those events and the Coca-Cola 600 in the same year. This comes after a 2020 season that saw him win 46 of 97 races on dirt.

“That’s his life,” Andretti told NBC Sports about Larson. “That’s what he loves. I identify with that. That’s the reason I gravitated toward him in a sense of being particularly interested in what he’s doing.
“He’s not the only one that interests me, but he just captured me in a very special way because I see a lot of myself there.”
Andretti, 81, is motorsports royalty. He’s the only driver to win a Daytona 500, Indianapolis 500 and Formula 1 championship. He sees Larson’s passion to race and family support to do so – just as Andretti had when he raced so many different vehicles – as key elements to Larson’s success.

Larson has had a season unlike any other. Among the favorites to claim the Cup title, he’s won one of NASCAR’s crown jewels, the Coca-Cola 600, along with four other points races and the All-Star Race. He’ll look to add to his trophy case with Saturday’s playoff event at Richmond Raceway (7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN).

Larson’s year also includes victories in multiple major dirt racing events. He won his second consecutive Chili Bowl Nationals in January. Larson won the Knoxville Nationals, one of the most prestigious sprint car events, in August. He also won the King’s Royal sprint car race in July.

No one has won those events and the Coca-Cola 600 in the same year. This comes after a 2020 season that saw him win 46 of 97 races on dirt.
What's so good about that? KDB has won more in trucks, Xfinity and Cup. :sarcasm: :biggrin:

What's so good about that? KDB has won more in trucks, Xfinity and Cup. :sarcasm:
He's over hyped. One of the best ever? Yeah. But he is, and never was a transcendental/generational talent like Tony or KL

He's over hyped. One of the best ever? Yeah. But he is, and never was a transcendental/generational talent like Tony or KL

I’d add Chase to that. I know he’s a fan favorite, but man to be 25 with 13 wins is unreal

I’d add Chase to that. I know he’s a fan favorite, but man to be 25 with 13 wins is unreal

I wouldn't. Kyle Busch had 19 wins at age 25, and we seem to be in agreement that he isn't on that tier. Chase's title at 24 is more impressive than the win total at 25, imo.

Stewart and Larson did more outside of NASCAR. Even Jimmie Johnson came from a totally different racing background and only had like 3 years of stock car experience as a rookie. Chase is championship calibur and has been on an elite team from the get go, but as a driver he is in the upper upper echelon of that BK, KH calibur of ability, along with KB, rather than the Stewart, Gordon, Larson Johnson tier, who are a step above him in ability, imo. But we will have to see.

Chase is still on his way to what will be a top 5 career post 2000 though imo.

I wouldn't. Kyle Busch had 19 wins at age 25, and we seem to be in agreement that he isn't on that tier. Chase's title at 24 is more impressive than the win total at 25, imo.

Stewart and Larson did more outside of NASCAR. Even Jimmie Johnson came from a totally different racing background and only had like 3 years of stock car experience as a rookie. Chase is championship calibur and has been on an elite team from the get go, but as a driver he is in the upper upper echelon of that BK, KH calibur of ability, along with KB, rather than the Stewart, Gordon, Larson Johnson tier, who are a step above him in ability, imo. But we will have to see.

I can see Chase winning 3-4 titles and 60+ races. He and Kyle Busch will end their careers with similar numbers. It’s a shame Larson started with a B level team. Who knows where he’d be with win and championship totals.

I can see Chase winning 3-4 titles and 60+ races. He and Kyle Busch will end their careers with similar numbers. It’s a shame Larson started with a B level team. Who knows where he’d be with win and championship totals.

Chase has talent. that's a given and he's in one of the best cars
but for sake of saying
how much is car/team verses talent

Erik Jones I would say has roughly same talent as Chase, both had great results prior to cup

put Jones in the 9 car and I think we would have seen similar results (the 20 car is not the top car at JGR)

Chase has talent. that's a given and he's in one of the best cars
but for sake of saying
how much is car/team verses talent

Erik Jones I would say has roughly same talent as Chase, both had great results prior to cup

put Jones in the 9 car and I think we would have seen similar results (the 20 car is not the top car at JGR)
I disagree of course. :) Jones ( at JGR ) had a tendency to overdrive the car which to means to me, he didn't have the maturity to get the best with what he had and let the team work on his piece to do better.
Now he drives a car that just isn't going to get better.

I’d venture to say that we won’t see another era with multiple drivers with 50+ wins and 3+ championships all racing together on the same track week in and week out for quite a long time.

Being able to see talent at the level of Gordon, Johnson, and Stewart all racing for wins at the same time each week was a unique time in the sport.

To put it in perspective, Newman is 7th among active drivers in wins currently. There are only 2 drivers with over 50 wins and only 3 others with more than 30 wins - and they are all headed towards retirement faster than anyone else.

There is a ton of youth in the sport now that will take time to have their careers manifested.

I disagree of course. :) Jones ( at JGR ) had a tendency to overdrive the car which to means to me, he didn't have the maturity to get the best with what he had and let the team work on his piece to do better.
Now he drives a car that just isn't going to get better.
also
Chase was given the chance to improve
Jones was booted to make room for Bell (last year was a lame duck year and still won)
so far Bell hasn't proved to be a significant improvement

I have Chase at 3 titles and 50+ wins.

KB at 3 titles, MAYBE, and around 80 wins.

I’d venture to say that we won’t see another era with multiple drivers with 50+ wins and 3+ championships all racing together on the same track week in and week out for quite a long time.

Being able to see talent at the level of Gordon, Johnson, and Stewart all racing for wins at the same time each week was a unique time in the sport.

To put it in perspective, Newman is 7th among active drivers in wins currently. There are only 2 drivers with over 50 wins and only 3 others with more than 30 wins - and they are all headed towards retirement faster than anyone else.

There is a ton of youth in the sport now that will take time to have their careers manifested.
And that's why I'm a bit more low on Kyle Busch's cup career, compared to say, Stewart. Kyle won races, but he pretty much was a second fiddle to those guys. Gordon didn't win a title, but he was still Gordon and a legitimate threat. Stewart won 2 titles during the Johnson era. Kyle had to wait for the Johnson era to end, about a decade after his career started. The true greats went head to head and took it from the present greats.

Kyle didn't take anything. He had to wait. To me, that's not a GOAT driver.

Larson does have more starts than Chase, and Larson had 12 wins to Chase 13. Larson 254 starts and 122 top 10, 214 and 113 for Chase. Obviously Larson didn't have the same level equipment/team at CGR as you pointed out. He ended up with the most wins of any driver all time at CGR with 6. About 3 1/2 years diff in age. Will be interesting to see how this battle plays out over time.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Their cars and teams are equal now.

With a few exceptions, Larson will hand Elliott his ass every weekend. JMO, of course.

Last edited:
Their cars and teams are equal now.

With a few exceptions, Larson will hand Elliott his ass every weekend. JMO, of course.
Well given this style of car. Might be different next year

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

IDK about the Roval, could be a hell of a race between those two...Roval is coming up too.
I'd give Larson the edge on the sheer unlikelyhood that a driver goes 4 in a row at a single track.

At this point I would give Larson the edge at any race...just because he is Larson. :)
He's also had even pace, or even better pace than Chase on the road courses this year as well.

Or at least, the same. He was faster at Sonoma, faster at Indy, and (much to the disagreement of Chase fans) was equal at Watkins Glen when he needed to be, increased his pace by over a second at the end there. That rain **** show they were equal. Chase was faster at COTA and Daytona.

In light of that, and the unlikelyhood of Chase 4 peating, I'm giving Larson the roval. Even if Chase is a second faster than the field, I feel numbers aren't on his side in this case. 4 in a row doesn't happen often in the modern era. The last was dale Jr at Talladega.

In light of that, and the unlikelyhood of Chase 4 peating, I'm giving Larson the roval. Even if Chase is a second faster than the field, I feel numbers aren't on his side in this case. 4 in a row doesn't happen often in the modern era. The last was dale Jr at Talladega.
Excuse me, but that's *not* how probabilities work. The odds of winning the next four races in a row are not the same as the odds of winning four in a row when you've already accomplished the first three and need just one more. That's pretty fundamental to use of stats and probabilities.

He's also had even pace, or even better pace than Chase on the road courses this year as well.

Or at least, the same. He was faster at Sonoma, faster at Indy, and (much to the disagreement of Chase fans) was equal at Watkins Glen when he needed to be, increased his pace by over a second at the end there. That rain **** show they were equal. Chase was faster at COTA and Daytona.

It would only be 3 in a row. Won the last 2.

Also, you keep saying this about Watkins Glen but keep forgetting Chase completely burned his **** up driving thru the entire field to get to Larson lol. Of course Larson still had some pace in the tank. Chase was absolutely faster that day, go back and look at average lap time or whatever you need to look at, he laid the fastest lap of the entire race and it was half a second faster than the field.

Not only was Larson one of Toyota's biggest mistakes, It was Ford's also

Meanwhile, Tony Stewart, the car owner and racing legend, couldn’t hire him for his NASCAR team because Ford Motor Company didn’t want to take the risk. And Larson wasn’t sure if anyone else would.

Excuse me, but that's *not* how probabilities work. The odds of winning the next four races in a row are not the same as the odds of winning four in a row when you've already accomplished the first three and need just one more. That's pretty fundamental to use of stats and probabilities.
I never said they were, Lew. I'm obviously speaking to the unlikelyhood of a driver winning 4 in a row after already winning 3, considering, that's the reality. Although I stand corrected, Chase won the last two, not three. Leave it to you to be quick to dismiss any statistical point I make lol

Not only was Larson one of Toyota's biggest mistakes, It was Ford's also

Meanwhile, Tony Stewart, the car owner and racing legend, couldn’t hire him for his NASCAR team because Ford Motor Company didn’t want to take the risk. And Larson wasn’t sure if anyone else would.

I wonder how Larson would be performing with SHR this year

I never said they were, Lew. I'm obviously speaking to the unlikelyhood of a driver winning 4 in a row after already winning 3, considering, that's the reality. Although I stand corrected, Chase won the last two, not three. Leave it to you to be quick to dismiss any statistical point I make lol
Ha ha ha. If you continue to post bogus statistical analysis, like this one and some others, then I reserve the right to call them out. In the current instance, you've proven that you don't understand probability chains, which is fundamental to the point you claim to make. It's as bogus as some of those grab-ass formulas arranged into spreadsheets... GIGO.

Ha ha ha. If you continue to post bogus statistical analysis, like this one and some others, then I reserve the right to call them out. In the current instance, you've proven that you don't understand probability chains, which is fundamental to the point you claim to make. It's as bogus as some of those grab-ass formulas arranged into spreadsheets... GIGO.
Posted that twice, and then made this one off comment.

But fair enough. I also reserve the right to call out your ****** attitude and arrogance, which frankly is completely unnecessary and insulting. You want me to recognize just how smart you are and how uneducated I am lol. Jesus Christ. Do me a favor and back off.

Last edited:
I enjoy Larson as the next Jeff Gordon type driver. He is pretty similar to Gordon. Really enjoy seeing Kyle Larson race.

#DriveFor5 is back again.

Back
Top Bottom