Larson starts storm over autographs on Twitter

MRM

Team Owner
Kyle Larson posted on Twitter several days ago how much money he made off t-shirt sales at the dirt tracks he's been racing at versus the money he actually makes from NASCAR shirt sales. That has caught the eye of the national media.

As people continue to talk about that and Larson interacts with fans on the subject, someone said fans would buy more drivers' merchandise if the drivers would hang around the hauler after the races to sign items.

Larson's response had some very bad optics to it.

It will be interesting to see if any of the pre-race shows this weekend talk about this.

Leaving out merchant sale cuts, I see it this way. Autographs are not about the money, it's about the fans and fan interaction. King Richard needs to educate some of the young guys on fan appreciation.
Bingo. It's CRAZY how many drivers don't get this. To be honest, I'm actually surprised Kyle tweeted that. It seems out of character. I consider him fan friendly.

Kind of agree with Larson. Why set there a sign stuff if you're only making $50? Im not one to buy merchandise to get it signed though, if I want an autograph it will be on a piece of paper.

He needs to have a conversation with The King.... I understand it from his point of view but really bad choice of words. Who's to say that if he did invest that time signing stuff he would sell more merch by making new fans or current fans would want to buy his stuff even more.

Larson is right regarding NASCAR's ridiculous merch cuts... However, you aren't trying to make money signing for people, your trying to grow your brand and the sport. Come on, bud.
NASCAR's cut was reported to be 1%. Then again, who owns Fanatics? I'm too lazy to look it up.

From the article I posted in the other thread about that Fanatics Tents.....

This is somewhat analogous to NASCAR’s 10-year contract for its trackside merchandise business with Fanatics that started in 2015. Under that deal, 75 percent of the revenue goes to Fanatics, which provides the infrastructure, marketing, staffing, transportation and security.

The rest of the revenue is split thusly: 15 percent to the track, nine percent to teams (which generally is divvied into thirds between the team, driver and sponsor) and one percent to NASCAR.

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/07...ar-merchandise-is-a-winding-path-for-drivers/

I think one thing we lose sight of is that Nascar drivers are wealthy individuals and often times can't relate to what Joe Sixpack likes and participates in. From a personal standpoint I can totally relate to what Larson is saying as with all the responsibilities of driving, keeping sponsors happy and doing a few things he enjoys it must be a mega PIA to sit amongst the great unwashed signing things.

However you don't say things publicly like Larson said as it comes off a being haughty, out of touch and being a spoiled brat. The fact that Larson did make his comments public and never gave pause to how they would be interpreted shows a deep ignorance and general stupidity. Leave this kind of BS to Kyle Busch as Nascar already has one supreme ass and doesn't need another.

A question for the board. Is it time for the fans to stop demanding time from Nascar drivers and

Not trying to blow this up, but with everything that fans invest in their drivers they deserve a better answer than this. People spend a lot more to travel to his races and buy his merchandise. I am not trying to condemn him for believing something that I am sure many athletes and celebrities believe however some things are better left unsaid.

I think everybody might be taking that the wrong way. Obviously Larson is fan friendly. I think it's sour grapes toward the very slim cut that he gets for souvenir sales. It just doesn't sound right on Twitter

Not trying to blow this up, but with everything that fans invest in their drivers they deserve a better answer than this. People spend a lot more to travel to his races and buy his merchandise. I am not trying to condemn him for believing something that I am sure many athletes and celebrities believe however some things are better left unsaid.

I have never understood the desire to wait in line to meet anyone to exchange a few words and get something signed but I am in a teeny tiny minority on that. If there are certain concessions a driver wants he should have those things addressed and included in his contract so he can't complain about it later.

That % break down is pretty startling. I would bet that Fanatics gets to pocket all 75% of their take also if they're buying their merchandise in bulk up front from these companies like New Era, etc. Idk that they do it that way but I wouldn't be surprised.

I can honestly say to Mr. Larson that I've only bought 1 piece of merchandise in my life with hopes of getting it signed and it was from a private vendor in Charlotte. It was a diecast of Gordon's '94 Lumina - which I ended up getting signed. Other than that, I couldn't care less to have anything that I buy signed. I have a #9 hat and a hero card signed by Chase but I didn't get either one with that in mind, just sorta happened the same day I got Gordon's autograph.

I think everybody might be taking that the wrong way. Obviously Larson is fan friendly. I think it's sour grapes toward the very slim cut that he gets for souvenir sales. It just doesn't sound right on Twitter
I had to think about his comments for some time before I was able to come to the same conclusion as you. I'm hoping that is the case. His words were poor at best. Judging from comments on Twitter and other places, he his as fan friendly as NASCAR drivers go. Maybe his frustration was geared toward the merchandise sales of things.

Kind of lost some respect for Kyle. Sorry that he doesn't care for the fans that much and he might be surprised how many that don't come close to working and making $50. in an hour. The fans are why you are making the bucks you do make so you and Danica might want to think it through before dismissing the fans.

In all honesty, he doesnt have many things on NASCAR.com , his Coca Cola hat I bought on Ebay because I couldnt find it anywhere. and CGR doesnt have their team shop online anymore which is where I bought many of my Indy Car Target/Chip Ganassi Racing hats from. NASCAR or Fanatics has to get more merchandise for other drivers not named Earnhardt Jr , Ky Busch, Johnson and Danica. I remember when Chase Authentics made the hats it seemed there was a bit more representation for everyone.

This thread should merge with my thread about Larson's win streak. Some interesting contradictions IMO. Me thinks Mr. Larson likes to race and win trophies. Nothing wrong with that in my book. To hell with the rest of it.

Have faith Larson fans, "New Kyle (Larson)" will be out soon.

This thread should merge with my thread about Larson's win streak. Some interesting contradictions IMO. Me thinks Mr. Larson likes to race and win trophies. Nothing wrong with that in my book. To hell with the rest of it.

Yeah, lets ruin this guys thread by combining it with your illogical dumpster fire. :D

Bottom line all the guy is saying is that NASCAR is taking all the money off the merchandise I don't see what the big problem is?

I'm going with this. Now when a driver lashes out at their fans like the chosen one did at Pocono it's a different conversation. There is a pic in the race experience thread showing a member here with a hot pass and Kyle is in one of the pics with him. It looks like he is having a blast with his fans. Trying to get that close to DP would probably land you in a hospital.

Bottom line all the guy is saying is that NASCAR is taking all the money off the merchandise I don't see what the big problem is?

It probably isn't a good look for a NASCAR superstar to go to Smalltown, USA to run dirt to "help local tracks out" and bitch about souvenir sales. Kind of contradicts the wishful thinking that this is all for the grassroots fans--you know, "giving back."

Personally, I don't have a problem with what Larson does or says, but there are those who get really upset when an image they had is not the image that exists. This may or may not be the case here. My advice would be to stay off of social media for a bit. My two cents. Damn, that dude is talented though.

I'm going with this. Now when a driver lashes out at their fans like the chosen one did at Pocono it's a different conversation. There is a pic in the race experience thread showing a member here with a hot pass and Kyle is in one of the pics with him. It looks like he is having a blast with his fans. Trying to get that close to DP would probably land you in a hospital.

I think that generally speaking, drivers enjoy their fans. One quote/one misstep (or several) however, and he/she is branded for life unfortunately. Don't know any drivers like that though. ;)

Yea I know but Im must giving facts lol.. it just shows you how people act when it comes to Kyle Busch

Indeed, my friend. Indeed.

It probably isn't a good look for a NASCAR superstar to go to Smalltown, USA to run dirt to "help local tracks out" and bitch about souvenir sales. Kind of contradicts the wishful thinking that this is all for the grassroots fans--you know, "giving back."

Personally, I don't have a problem with what Larson does or says, but there are those who get really upset when an image they had is not the image that exists. This may or may not be the case here. My advice would be to stay off of social media for a bit. My two cents. Damn, that dude is talented though.
I just thinks he is mad NASCAR is doing the drivers the way they are and not giving them more money .. **** he deserves it.. it's him behind the wheel every weeken .. it's his name so cut him in on some more money that's how I see it.. that's like NIKE with lebron James and only giving him chump change.. Lebron would be mad too.. so I feel Larson

I have often wondered how Nascar taking over the merchandising was going the effect the teams' bottom line. I think the idea was to have one source for licensing. Before that, the sellers had to get separate agreements from each team to sell their brand. A great idea, but it sounds like maybe the teams lost more financially than anticipated. Of course that could be BS since Larson is the only voice I've heard complaining.

I had to think about his comments for some time before I was able to come to the same conclusion as you. I'm hoping that is the case. His words were poor at best. Judging from comments on Twitter and other places, he his as fan friendly as NASCAR drivers go. Maybe his frustration was geared toward the merchandise sales of things.

For the life of me I don't understand why someone would feel the need to comment on everything going on around them and I am more mystified why there would be an audience for this sort of thing. IDK what Larson meant but I know how it came off and that he better be very careful of what he says and how he says it in the future or he will get no peace.

I bet he gets it from McMurray. Jamie has his image nailed down anytime around tv cameras, I'm not saying he starts freaking off camera, but he's very hard for his fans to get a couple seconds from. Saw him in 2006 at an Roush open house, honestly they should have left Jamie on the darn plane... I wouldn't be leaving negative reviews on him when these talks come up.

How much darn tootin money do you guys get to drive race cars? Come do what a lot of us go through monday through friday, or monday through sunday... stop pouting an sign some autographs and act like you like it for an hour or two... I dont feel sorry for you KYLE LARSON, MCMURRAY or any of your buddies on the track.

I hear this... "BOoo Hooo Im a pro race car driver sponsored by billon dollar companies, I have multiple homes and my own airplanes... I have to sign autographs for an hour or two sometimes, feel sorry for me..."

Last edited:
NASCAR's cut was reported to be 1%. Then again, who owns Fanatics? I'm too lazy to look it up.

From the article I posted in the other thread about that Fanatics Tents.....

This is somewhat analogous to NASCAR’s 10-year contract for its trackside merchandise business with Fanatics that started in 2015. Under that deal, 75 percent of the revenue goes to Fanatics, which provides the infrastructure, marketing, staffing, transportation and security.

The rest of the revenue is split thusly: 15 percent to the track, nine percent to teams (which generally is divvied into thirds between the team, driver and sponsor) and one percent to NASCAR.

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/07...ar-merchandise-is-a-winding-path-for-drivers/
In reading that article I didn't realize how little a NASCAR driver makes vs a world of outlaw driver in merchandise sales.

I bet he gets it from McMurray. Jamie has his image nailed down anytime around tv cameras, I'm not saying he starts freaking off camera, but he's very hard for his fans to get a couple seconds from. Saw him in 2006 at an Roush open house, honestly they should have left Jamie on the darn plane... I wouldn't be leaving negative reviews on him when these talks come up.

How much darn tootin money do you guys get to drive race cars? Come do what a lot of us go through monday through friday, or monday through sunday... stop pouting an sign some autographs and act like you like it for an hour or two... I dont feel sorry for you KYLE LARSON, MCMURRAY or any of your buddies on the track.

I hear this... "BOoo Hooo Im a pro race car driver sponsored by billon dollar companies, I have multiple homes and my own airplanes... I have to sign autographs for an hour or two sometimes, feel sorry for me..."

Let's break this down for a minute......many here have seen my story at Sonoma from a few weeks ago. My son is a huge Jamie fan. We failed miserably at getting wristbands for my son to meet Jamie, Hamlin and Larson. However, as a parent you try to find a way to make it right. When the drivers showed up to the signing this is how they arrived. Hamlin in a car, stopped and signed for 3 out of about 30 people, all kids. McMurray in a car, was rushed in by the reps at the Save Mart/Lucky's booth. Larson arrived on foot. Walking amongst the unwashed.......as he walked in he stopped for at least 30 seconds to sign and take a photo with multiple kids. Mind you, this was less than 20 minutes after they finished qualifying. Once they were done they were ushered out the back where I was able to get my son to Jamie McMurray who stopped and spoke to my kid and fist bumped him, thus making my kids day. As we turned away thrilled a throng of 30 plus adults chased these guys down as they walked through the fan filled paddock area behind the main grandstands.

Here is the thing. I have no problem with what Larson said and here is why. When you buy a ticket to any athletic event you do buy that ticket with the impression that you are going to have unlimited access to the entertainers. You buy that ticket because you want to see them do their job at the highest level it can be done. Everything else is icing on the cake. NASCAR drivers are unlike any other athletes in the world in the sense that they are never really off. The obligations they have between race weekends and during the race weekend itself are ridiculous and very extensive. In between when Kyle, is at a local dirt track he is sitting in the pits as fans freely move about and walk right into his pit stall while he is talking setup with his guys and ask for an autograph and a photo. (I literally watched this happen) I bet he is frustrated that he sells more merch at a local dirt track where there are 5,000 people compared to 30,000 at a NASCAR weekend. I literally just bough a shirt of his online from NASCAR.com for $24, I bought a Larson/Marks racing hat from his site for $12............

I think that as fans a few things get lost. The first being boundaries. Too many fans think it is ok to interrupt, chase, hound, follow, scream, grab, crowd these guys. Second is the fact that they are still working. While we see it as an incredible job, there is a lot of money being made and on the line in these things and top level competitors have to be able to focus on the task at hand. Last, and I am going to all caps this bitch for you.....THEY DO NOT OWE YOU A DAMN THING!!!! They do not owe a 30 something or 40 something or 50 something year old man a signature or a photo or a handshake because you have been a follower and have bought merch. This dude has never met or interacted with you. Any adult getting autographs is weird.

As a parent to a son who loves sports I have taught him that athletes are normal people. I explained to him that they have bad days like anyone else and that for us as fans/admirer's to expect anything more from them then we would ourselves is unacceptable. In turn I have him understand to be extremely appreciative of the interaction that he does get with them. My son is Irish and I swear he carries a four leaf clover in his pocket because he gets selected to participate in everything. From the meet and greet with Larson and Abreu to meeting Jamie and having Jamie retweet his appreciation for the fact that my son named his fish after him to getting to go into the infield for the pill draw for the WOO race he is always appreciative and never expects a thing. What I have found is that if you treat them like people they will react like people. Just this past weekend my son helped drive his favorite modified driver's car into the hauler after the race.

He knows good things can happen if you go about asking the proper way and not imposing your will onto these guys. So, I completely understand when Larson asks why he should spend all of that extra time signing for people who treat him like a zoo animal.

Let's break this down for a minute......many here have seen my story at Sonoma from a few weeks ago. My son is a huge Jamie fan. We failed miserably at getting wristbands for my son to meet Jamie, Hamlin and Larson. However, as a parent you try to find a way to make it right. When the drivers showed up to the signing this is how they arrived. Hamlin in a car, stopped and signed for 3 out of about 30 people, all kids. McMurray in a car, was rushed in by the reps at the Save Mart/Lucky's booth. Larson arrived on foot. Walking amongst the unwashed.......as he walked in he stopped for at least 30 seconds to sign and take a photo with multiple kids. Mind you, this was less than 20 minutes after they finished qualifying. Once they were done they were ushered out the back where I was able to get my son to Jamie McMurray who stopped and spoke to my kid and fist bumped him, thus making my kids day. As we turned away thrilled a throng of 30 plus adults chased these guys down as they walked through the fan filled paddock area behind the main grandstands.

Here is the thing. I have no problem with what Larson said and here is why. When you buy a ticket to any athletic event you do buy that ticket with the impression that you are going to have unlimited access to the entertainers. You buy that ticket because you want to see them do their job at the highest level it can be done. Everything else is icing on the cake. NASCAR drivers are unlike any other athletes in the world in the sense that they are never really off. The obligations they have between race weekends and during the race weekend itself are ridiculous and very extensive. In between when Kyle, is at a local dirt track he is sitting in the pits as fans freely move about and walk right into his pit stall while he is talking setup with his guys and ask for an autograph and a photo. (I literally watched this happen) I bet he is frustrated that he sells more merch at a local dirt track where there are 5,000 people compared to 30,000 at a NASCAR weekend. I literally just bough a shirt of his online from NASCAR.com for $24, I bought a Larson/Marks racing hat from his site for $12............

I think that as fans a few things get lost. The first being boundaries. Too many fans think it is ok to interrupt, chase, hound, follow, scream, grab, crowd these guys. Second is the fact that they are still working. While we see it as an incredible job, there is a lot of money being made and on the line in these things and top level competitors have to be able to focus on the task at hand. Last, and I am going to all caps this bitch for you.....THEY DO NOT OWE YOU A DAMN THING!!!! They do not owe a 30 something or 40 something or 50 something year old man a signature or a photo or a handshake because you have been a follower and have bought merch. This dude has never met or interacted with you. Any adult getting autographs is weird.

As a parent to a son who loves sports I have taught him that athletes are normal people. I explained to him that they have bad days like anyone else and that for us as fans/admirer's to expect anything more from them then we would ourselves is unacceptable. In turn I have him understand to be extremely appreciative of the interaction that he does get with them. My son is Irish and I swear he carries a four leaf clover in his pocket because he gets selected to participate in everything. From the meet and greet with Larson and Abreu to meeting Jamie and having Jamie retweet his appreciation for the fact that my son named his fish after him to getting to go into the infield for the pill draw for the WOO race he is always appreciative and never expects a thing. What I have found is that if you treat them like people they will react like people. Just this past weekend my son helped drive his favorite modified driver's car into the hauler after the race.

He knows good things can happen if you go about asking the proper way and not imposing your will onto these guys. So, I completely understand when Larson asks why he should spend all of that extra time signing for people who treat him like a zoo animal.

Yeah, I mentioned it in a thread about Danica @ Pocono. Leave the lady alone you creepy *****.

Good to hear Jamie is making up for the many he ignored over the years now.

he had a ton of people to see him and him only and roush's open houses and they didn't get the best of his time. Dude acted too arrogant

Back
Top Bottom