Let's talk Stage Racing

I like the stages . gives teams a shot to adjust cars.Many times the race off pit road is more exciting than the race on track. Caution laps should NOT be counted

I like the stages . gives teams a shot to adjust cars.Many times the race off pit road is more exciting than the race on track. Caution laps should NOT be counted
Ahhh hah....the race off pit road is better than the race on the track....hmmm something wrong with that picture!

It was real crazy and fatal when they didn't have a speed limit. Now on the other hand, blink and you just missed an F-1 pit stop. I guess some think that is the way to go, I can't help but laugh at it myself. It reminds me of a joke of, how many does it take to change a light bulb.:)

I am torn here, I wanted to hate it, I mean , I really wanted to hate stage the moment Steve O"D uttered those very words( or whomever the bloke was at the PC that said it, I think it was him), but you now, to be honest, I dont hate stage racing as much I thought I would , I even made myself try and hate to fit in here with all the anti NASCAR fans, but I just couldnt hate it . I hated BS caution flags, and with stage racing, those BS cautious flags seemed to just disappear into thin air, imagine that.( well most of them)

While I dont think it made the racing better, I think it did keep the teams from sandbagging through out the course of the race and the first 26 races, it made the points battle more interesting.

I am torn here, I wanted to hate it, I mean , I really wanted to hate stage the moment Steve O"D uttered those very words( or whomever the bloke was at the PC that said it, I think it was him), but you now, to be honest, I dont hate stage racing as much I thought I would , I even made myself try and hate to fit in here with all the anti NASCAR fans, but I just couldnt hate it . I hated BS caution flags, and with stage racing, those BS cautious flags seemed to just disappear into thin air, imagine that.( well most of them)

While I dont think it made the racing better, I think it did keep the teams from sandbagging through out the course of the race and the first 26 races, it made the points battle more interesting.
Stage racing is BS caution flags in disguise. The only difference is they added a convoluted stage point system to confuse the fans.
The convoluted stage point system wasn’t a factor in determining the Cup champion. The fastest car still won but Brian made you feel better about the yellow flag. ;)

Stage racing is BS caution flags in disguise. The only difference is they added a convoluted stage point system to confuse the fans.
The convoluted stage point system wasn’t a factor in determining the Cup champion. The fastest car still won but Brian made you feel better about the yellow flag. ;)
I would rather them be open about it with stage racing then them bullspitting us with fake entertainment yellows;)

What I don't like about the stages is that it is just another gimmick that is added to the race like wave arounds and free passes and of course the ultimate gimmick being the chase. If you like all these things that is OK with me but the problem is that these initiatives ruin the course of a race as I like to see it. If these gimmicks were adding fans to the stands and at home I would understand them and even endorse them but they clearly are not helping in that area.

What I don't like about the stages is that it is just another gimmick that is added to the race like wave arounds and free passes and of course the ultimate gimmick being the chase. If you like all these things that is OK with me but the problem is that these initiatives ruin the course of a race as I like to see it. If these gimmicks were adding fans to the stands and at home I would understand them and even endorse them but they clearly are not helping in that area.
I believe nascar will see more attendance issues next year because of this year’s format changes.

They are TV time outs. All this stage BS is strictly to give the network an easy break. Just as it redefined the NFL (whether better or worse) it will redefine NASCAR racing. The part, besides the mind numbing amount of yellow laps, that bothers me is they try and make people care who is in 10th place.

Who cares? I want to see racing at any position, preferably for the lead but I could not care less about who earned 1 point at the end of the lead lap.

So nah I am no fan of the stages. Still trying to hang on because I have an addiction to watching races.

I believe nascar will see more attendance issues next year because of this year’s format changes.

I think so too but I think where they could get really hammered is in the TV rating department as multiple races could fall below the 2 million viewership mark . I think the finale yesterday will end up showing about 4.5 million viewers which is really bad.

I think so too but I think where they could get really hammered is in the TV rating department as multiple races could fall below the 2 million viewership mark . I think the finale yesterday will end up showing about 4.5 million viewers which is really bad.
My TV never left NFL RedZone yesterday.

"believe"
"Damn stages! I am stayin home rather than having 2 convenient breaks in the race where I can go to concessions and/or rest room! Plus it messes up muh racin purity!"

I believe the attendance will drop because Jr retired and have nothing to do with stages.

"believe"
"Damn stages! I am stayin home rather than having 2 convenient breaks in the race where I can go to concessions and/or rest room! Plus it messes up muh racin purity!"

I believe the attendance will drop because Jr retired and have nothing to do with stages.
I'd say Jr. retiring will have a big negative impact........ can't be good.......

I'd say Jr. retiring will have a big negative impact........ can't be good.......
Richard Petty
Cale Yarbrough
Bill Elliott
Dale Earnhardt
Rusty Wallace
Jeff Gordon
Tony Stewart

All gone, and NASCAR is still here.

The capacity has altered over time & will perpetually do so - no matter who is on the track.

There haven’t been a lot of positives in the past decade.
I agree...... I was against the segment points at first...... I now don't mind them because it makes drivers race harder during the race..... what I don't like is them stopping the race for a caution period..... they could just as well let the race continue....... all the rest of the dog and pony show they have instituted......... Bulls@@t..... never did I think there would be such a travesty to Nascar racing as we have seen in the last 12 years......

I agree...... I was against the segment points at first...... I now don't mind them because it makes drivers race harder during the race..... what I don't like is them stopping the race for a caution period..... they could just as well let the race continue....... all the rest of the dog and pony show they have instituted......... Bulls@@t..... never did I think there would be such a travesty to Nascar racing as we have seen in the last 12 years......
I miss NASCAR. I hope whomever is in charge can turn it around and reignite my interest.

Richard Petty
Cale Yarbrough
Bill Elliott
Dale Earnhardt
Rusty Wallace
Jeff Gordon
Tony Stewart

The capacity has altered over time & will perpetually do so - no matter who is on the track.
I never said Jr. leaving will be the death Knell of Nascar...... I said the impact will be negative......... there are more Jr. fans than any other driver out there..... a lot of them will continue with another driver..... like Chase........ but...... a lot will be disenchanted and just fade away slowly.......

I never said Jr. leaving will be the death Knell of Nascar...... I said the impact will be negative......... there are more Jr. fans than any other driver out there..... a lot of them will continue with another driver..... like Chase........ but...... a lot will be disenchanted and just fade away slowly.......
Like I said, the capacity will change.

Besides, plenty of Dale Jr fans converted to Chase Elliott fans will stick around to watch a driver who is actually competitive ;)

It’s different than stick n ball team sports. You can be an HMS fan but Jimmie is your driver. If Jimmie retires, you can still be an HMS fan but your driver is gone. Watching HMS isn’t going to be the same without Jimmie.

I miss NASCAR. I hope whomever is in charge can turn it around and reignite my interest.
I don't see it happening anytime soon for me...... I'm glad there are new fans on the board that are pumped up about how things are going........ I am pretty sure my time is over for ever being reignited...... just can't see it happening......

It’s different than stick n ball team sports. You can be an HMS fan but Jimmie is your driver. If Jimmie retires, you can still be an HMS fan but your driver is gone. Watching HMS isn’t going to be the same without Jimmie.
You pretty much nailed it....... I was always Holman -Moody........ then ...... Mark Martin..... since he left...... I figured Carl would be my pick.... Carl's gone...... I was real proud Truex won.... he was the most deserving..... but..... the fire in my belly is gone since Mark retired......

You pretty much nailed it....... I was always Holman -Moody........ then ...... Mark Martin..... since he left...... I figured Carl would be my pick.... Carl's gone...... I was real proud Truex won.... he was the most deserving..... but..... the fire in my belly is gone since Mark retired......
What I was a lil kid it was Pearson, because that was my dad’s driver. Then Davey. When Davey died it was Rusty. When Rusty left it was Carl but I always had my eye on Kyle’s ability.
I was a Kenseth fan, too.
I still like Kyle but a lot of my heroes are leaving and I feel the sport is going in the wrong direction.
It sucks but I can’t fool myself into believing it isn’t happening.

"believe"

One thing we can probably all agree on is that attendance and TV viewership will both drop next year and there will likely be many reasons for it. I used to be a rabid fan but now I am more interested in the drama surrounding Nascar than the actual races although I still watch parts of most of them. My favorite stretch of races is from Atlanta to around the end of May and that would be the perfect length season for me so I think I will probably watch less next year. I skipped yesterday's race as my last race of the year was Martinsville but I may basically wrap it up at Bristol next year but check out Martinsville and the road course at Charlotte.

I don't look down on what anyone does in their free time and if they want to watch Nascar all weekend then good for them. If people like stages and a good diet of restarts and free passes that is fine too but that stuff is not for me and obviously those things have not helped Nascar conquer new fans. Nascar will always be around in some form but just a much smaller version than today. Cheers!

I don't see it happening anytime soon for me...... I'm glad there are new fans on the board that are pumped up about how things are going........ I am pretty sure my time is over for ever being reignited...... just can't see it happening......
Sadly I have to agree with this, the only way I see it changing is for Nascar to get rid of spec racing. They need four distinct cars. Chevy: Camaro (real one) Dodge: Challenger and Charger, yeh allow both. Toyota: Camary again real Camary. Ford: Fusion, again the real one. What I'm getting at is Nascar never was spec racing, we had manufacturers we could tell the difference with body lines not decals. Until the racing cars are not spec cars, and please stay away from the spec engine, we don't want to go there. Fans will watch, but soon Nascar will be an obscure sport found only on some low life cable channel that you have to pay the highest tier level to find. Nascar is putting themselves out of business and if they don't smarten up, it's going to be sooner than later.

Remember the halfway challenge(?) Leader at halfway collected a $ bonus. The stages do nothing but create artificial anxiety with two extra checkered flags, two more starts with cars on various tire 'strategery' that creates the potential for carnage..
Award points at the two specified laps but no phony bologna yellow that burns up racing laps. add the pit stop 'strategery' back with all green flag stops, except when there's a on track incident or a Phantom of the Race Track ''debris'' caution.
If you think I'm against this fiasco you're right. Wonder what Sr would say??

Richard Petty
Cale Yarbrough
Bill Elliott
Dale Earnhardt
Rusty Wallace
Jeff Gordon
Tony Stewart

Yeah but I think with the decline of the automobile in American culture, the ADD generation that wants everything in seconds of sound bites not hours of competition the latest retirements will start to add up.

I firmly believe the at track attendance is declining simply because those of us that loved spending half a week in a tent,bus,camper, or RV like having a nice recliner and 70" curved television better now. I think UNless NASCAR cuts their schedule, and shortens races they face severe reductions in the next decade of attendance and ratings.

Yeah but I think with the decline of the automobile in American culture, the ADD generation that wants everything in seconds of sound bites not hours of competition the latest retirements will start to add up.

I firmly believe the at track attendance is declining simply because those of us that loved spending half a week in a tent,bus,camper, or RV like having a nice recliner and 70" curved television better now. I think UNless NASCAR cuts their schedule, and shortens races they face severe reductions in the next decade of attendance and ratings.
Decade? They won't make it that far if ratings continue to tank like they are.

NBC is looking long term to get ahead of ESPN. They will suffer lower ratings to build their network much like Fox did with speed for a decade.

NBC is looking long term to get ahead of ESPN. They will suffer lower ratings to build their network much like Fox did with speed for a decade.
NBC had better get their crap in order and be expecting to fork over major bucks, which I don't see them doing, because they aren't going to make the mistake of shelling out huge contract money for a dying sport.

Back
Top Bottom