Looks like NASCAR races will move to streaming services in next contract

A lot of people now have 4K televisions. There is limited programming for that except through a streaming service. If broadcasters have visions of offering more 4K content, they will have to do with via streaming. Cable and satellite companies and local stations don't have the capability to carry any level of 4K programming because it takes up so much more bandwidth than a standard 720 or 1080 picture. Otherwise, TV manufacturers will have to stop making 4K sets, which isn't happening any time soon.
Well they do now with the ATSC 3.0 TV standard, the problem is it's too little too late

They missed their chance with the new tech before streaming took over

Plus, the media companies are quickly running out of new subscribers. Netflix and Disney Plus both saw subscription growth slow. In fact, Netflix missed their quarterly target for the first time in years

There also is a limit to how many paid services people will subscribe to.. About 4
Netflix is increasing their prices while limiting features, and DisneyPlus is just Star Wars fans wanting to watch Mandalorian. Their subs rate will spike again when Book of Bobba Fett and the Kenobi series airs.

and you can confirm that the live sports on the $4.99 tier cross over into the $9.99 tier? Live sports like football have TV timeouts worked into the flow of the game, what is the viewer watching during that time?

Are you watching other live sports with no ads?
I can't confirm that, but I can confirm that the Live Sports description is the same across the tiers. I am guessing that what is shown during TV time outs for football is the same as what you see when you watch a Youtube replay of a race....not much unless the break is green...but you don't have the ads....

I am only watch the free Peacock at this time.

Plus, the media companies are quickly running out of new subscribers. Netflix and Disney Plus both saw subscription growth slow. In fact, Netflix missed their quarterly target for the first time in years

There also is a limit to how many paid services people will subscribe to.. About 4

Netflix has got too proud. The price of Netflix with 4K is the same as Disney, Hulu and ESPN combined, all in 4K.

I get HBO Max for free through AT&T. Only thing that pisses me off about Peacock is that, every time I give them a chance, NBC has lied about their offerings. The first time, they weren't on Roku, Fire or Samsung (meaning over 75% of the streaming market couldn't use it), the second time their advertised content had already moved to HBO Max, and the third time was for the Olympics and they've since moved it all to the NBC Olympics app.

Netflix is increasing their prices while limiting features, and DisneyPlus is just Star Wars fans wanting to watch Mandalorian. Their subs rate will spike again when Book of Bobba Fett and the Kenobi series airs.

Disney also has all the Marvel Cinematic Universe stuff.

The low price gimmick with streaming services was unsustainable but it wasn't meant to last so it didn't matter. Everyone was roped in and congratulations you have many more head scratching choices with LOTS of content you dont care about and will never watch. I gave up trying to wade thru all of the various streaming services back when they were cheap. It's too much effort.

I hate cable because I've always perceived them as overpriced plus their nickle/dime fees and taxes suck. Dishnetwork seems marginally better than Directv both of which are way better than cable. It's a shame there's not some way a person can select exactly just the channels they want and not be forced to have hundreds they don't but the market is so fragmented I guess that's just how it will always be.

Netflix has got too proud. The price of Netflix with 4K is the same as Disney, Hulu and ESPN combined, all in 4K.

I get HBO Max for free through AT&T. Only thing that pisses me off about Peacock is that, every time I give them a chance, NBC has lied about their offerings. The first time, they weren't on Roku, Fire or Samsung (meaning over 75% of the streaming market couldn't use it), the second time their advertised content had already moved to HBO Max, and the third time was for the Olympics and they've since moved it all to the NBC Olympics app.
You can sideload Peacock on a firestick just fyi

The low price gimmick with streaming services was unsustainable but it wasn't meant to last so it didn't matter. Everyone was roped in and congratulations you have many more head scratching choices with LOTS of content you dont care about and will never watch. I gave up trying to wade thru all of the various streaming services back when they were cheap. It's too much effort.

I hate cable because I've always perceived them as overpriced plus their nickle/dime fees and taxes suck. Dishnetwork seems marginally better than Directv both of which are way better than cable. It's a shame there's not some way a person can select exactly just the channels they want and not be forced to have hundreds they don't but the market is so fragmented I guess that's just how it will always be.

There will be a consolidation down the road. It's happening in the motorsports streaming world already.

Some of these streaming services aren't sustainable, and Netflix is gonna need more content soon because an overabundance of B-list Netflix Originals ain't gonna keep people there forever.

There will be a consolidation down the road. It's happening in the motorsports streaming world already.

Some of these streaming services aren't sustainable, and Netflix is gonna need more content soon because an overabundance of B-list Netflix Originals ain't gonna keep people there forever.
Exactly, and we'll be back to the era of cable esque bundles before we know it

Yeah, with satellite, you did have competition

Exactly, and we'll be back to the era of cable esque bundles before we know it

Truthfully though, all my streaming services combined with YouTube TV are still cheaper than DirecTV.

Cable also sucks you in with discounts the first year then, BAM, it's like $125/month before you know it.

Truthfully though, all my streaming services combined with YouTube TV are still cheaper than DirecTV.

Cable also sucks you in with discounts the first year then, BAM, it's like $125/month before you know it.
That is true,

The problem is both the cable companies and the media companies are equally to blame

No high speed broadband service here. Shoot, my landline is still old-fashioned cable --- not fiber optic.
LOL My WiFi modem is so old, Microsoft is bugging me about it all the time about it being old security software.. needs replacing, blah, blah. The good thing is I'm getting a new provider tomorrow so they can just STFU. :pbjtime:

The sad truth was streaming never had to be this way, the only reason media companies are able to do this successfully is because gullible idiots subscribed to them, and end up bitching about it

LOL My WiFi modem is so old, Microsoft is bugging me about it all the time about it being old security software.. needs replacing, blah, blah. The good thing is I'm getting a new provider tomorrow so they can just STFU. :pbjtime:
LOL My cable is so old they have to run a new one from across the street! Free install. :headbang:

My AT&T has a terabyte data cap. Most I've ever used in a month is 120ish Gig. The 1.0Mbps download is BARELY enough to run TV & PC. I mean occasional buffering slow. I'll go back to Spectrum in Sept. Suppose I need to check with AT&T and see what else they offer. But the current plan is 60 bucks a month after pandemic discount expires. 60 bucks for 2005 era DSL @ 1.0Mbps download!!! Ridiculous.

Spectrum 200 download is 75ish bucks. That's probably what I'll do.

If nascar is going to a stream only format then they will alienate a lot of their fanbase.
They are going to stream only for a few races. Folks may not remember this or weren't into NASCAR at the time, but Pocono did one or two of their races as PPV only back in the late 80's. Most people didn't want to pay $20 or whatever it was for it. That didn't last long.

They are going to stream only for a few races. Folks may not remember this or weren't into NASCAR at the time, but Pocono did one or two of their races as PPV only back in the late 80's. Most people didn't want to pay $20 or whatever it was for it. That didn't last long.
So it’ll just be another one of NASCAR’s failed experiments 🤣

Back
Top Bottom