Martinsville to add lights!

Do you know how cold it is at night with the current Martinsville dates?
Do you know how cold it is at Lambeau Field in January? That has never stopped 80,000 people from going to those games in up to -50 degree weather. A race at Martinsville should be no different (plus it would be about 90 degrees warmer).

hay Brain: want tv ratings? put that dumb a$$ chase finale at martinsville under the new lights!!! might need metal trash drums at the track to keep the fans warm, but it would be a hellava tv event!!!

Now this is good news, about damn time the track gets lights.

Now if we could light Dover I'd be set

Hold up...haven't they already had modified races at night at Martinsville?
2005 I think. Temporary lights. I was there. It was pretty cool. My opinion is that the cup races need to be left alone. It'd be awesome if an Xfinity night race would be awesome.

There's just something about short tracks and night racing that seems to go so well together

Temporary lights.

I'm okay with the lights going up. I think EVERY track should be required to have lights to host a major league NASCAR race. Including the road courses and Talladega.
Where do I sign the petition to put lights at the Glen??

How the hell does this happen, and NASCAR doesn't announce a time change at the same time? This would be way cool.

The lights @ Martinsville along with a 3pm - 4pm start time for that Chase race would allow for the race to finish under the lights. Personally, I don't want to see them move either date as my life is scheduled around those two weekends already. Neither of those dates would be desirable for the attending fan if they were to start it after 6pm. With any wind whatsoever that place can be cold to sit at in the middle of the day. A night race would be downright uncomfortable. Of course that's no concern to those of you taking in the race on your sofa.

The only reason the whole light thing came about to begin with is because the fool that made up the 2015 schedule failed to take into account the clock change the night before that race. The start time was never adjusted to accommodate that. With the daylight ending an hour earlier they created that problem. Well, them and with the red flag as a result of Kenseth's temporary brain fart.

Start times were already set for next year or so they say.

Yeah, I get that, but I have a hard tie believing that if a network can accommodate a rain delay, it can't accommodate a start time moved back. Let's go Sunday night. This is a great thing, and in listening to NASCAR Radio and all of the whining, I am now more certain than ever that this fan base cannot save itself from itself. SMDH.

Yeah, I get that, but I have a hard tie believing that if a network can accommodate a rain delay, it can't accommodate a start time moved back. Let's go Sunday night. This is a great thing, and in listening to NASCAR Radio and all of the whining, I am now more certain than ever that this fan base cannot save itself from itself. SMDH.
I sure agree about the whining. Seems they finally get some lights and now people are complaining about tradition. Wonder if those are the same ones that watch the night race at Darlington? o_O

I don't know why all of these tracks don't have lighting. It's 2016, if lights for an outdoor sporting venue aren't modern day technology by now, then yikes.

I don't know why all of these tracks don't have lighting. It's 2016, if lights for an outdoor sporting venue aren't modern day technology by now, then yikes.
Considering most tracks are owned by the same 2 corporations, I agree.

Some temps just for the heck of it..... I went back to look up the average temps for the two Martinsville race weekends.

This past springs race was held on April 3rd. The high and low for that day was 63/33. Average for that time of year is 66/37.

This years fall date is scheduled for Oct. 30th. Average for that time of the year is 66/37.

Especially considering it is only costing like $5 million to do it at Martinsville. Obviously lighting Dega would be more but really it's a small price to pay for the night option.

Listening to SiriusXm this morning, they were talking about Martinsville being the guinea pig for testing a weeknight race. I wouldn't be against that. I think they should maybe try it out and see how it works. I'd still go if it were a Wednesday night. Maybe experiment by have a truck/Xfinity doubleheader on a weeknight. 200 laps for trucks/300 for Xfinity. It'd be tough finding room for that many teams in that small of a space though.

Listening to SiriusXm this morning, they were talking about Martinsville being the guinea pig for testing a weeknight race. I wouldn't be against that. I think they should maybe try it out and see how it works. I'd still go if it were a Wednesday night. Maybe experiment by have a truck/Xfinity doubleheader on a weeknight. 200 laps for trucks/300 for Xfinity. It'd be tough finding room for that many teams in that small of a space though.

They'll fit 80+ cars in there this weekend for Christmas.

Totally didn't see this thread earlier. Excited for the look of it but need to move those dates to warmer weather if they wanna run at night.

While the lights will be great and all as an addition to Martinsville Speedway, I think it'd be great if they'd nix the Port-O-Johns for the South Terrace and put in some real restrooms. :cool:

I was thinking of a more realistic less ambitious request....

Like Port-O-Johns and Port-O-Janes that are colored with same red die the hot dogs get. The trailed line of johns could be called the "the red dog passage" .

Just think of how many times DW, Kenny Wallace, Michael Waltrip, Jeff Hammond etc could really ad nauseam up the crap on tv, over the entire race weekend.

I've been itching to get back to Martinsville. This will seal the deal for me!

so if they get lights, the race will be Saturday night? that will be fine by me. I can go to the race and be home for work Monday. Martinsville is on my bucket list. can't do with a Sunday race.

My infatuation with night racing ended about 2005, when seemingly every track was running a Saturday night race. A few night races are fine, but adding more and more makes them far less special. Let's keep Martinsville on Sunday afternoon, where it belongs. Save the lights for insurance. I'm sure you guys will get to see a night race after a rain delay some day.

The lights @ Martinsville along with a 3pm - 4pm start time for that Chase race would allow for the race to finish under the lights. Personally, I don't want to see them move either date as my life is scheduled around those two weekends already. Neither of those dates would be desirable for the attending fan if they were to start it after 6pm. With any wind whatsoever that place can be cold to sit at in the middle of the day. A night race would be downright uncomfortable. Of course that's no concern to those of you taking in the race on your sofa.

The only reason the whole light thing came about to begin with is because the fool that made up the 2015 schedule failed to take into account the clock change the night before that race. The start time was never adjusted to accommodate that. With the daylight ending an hour earlier they created that problem. Well, them and with the red flag as a result of Kenseth's temporary brain fart.

Getting out of Martinsville in the dark is a mess.

While the lights will be great and all as an addition to Martinsville Speedway, I think it'd be great if they'd nix the Port-O-Johns for the South Terrace and put in some real restrooms. :cool:
They keep them because Port-Os are gender-neutral. Charlotte is rumored to be installing them :D

Back
Top Bottom