Maybe something coming around the corner(s)?

Majority of NASCAR fans would riot and revolt if a race was held overseas. I think on this board we sometimes forget the core demographic of NASCAR fans still has a world view like it's 1950. Remember the sh!tshow when Toyota entered...

But hey, let's alienate more core fans for the sake of producing 3 Asian fans in the sacred 18-30 year-old bracket...

Majority of NASCAR fans would riot and revolt if a race was held overseas. I think on this board we sometimes forget the core demographic of NASCAR fans still has a world view like it's 1950. Remember the sh!tshow when Toyota entered...

But hey, let's alienate more core fans for the sake of producing 3 Asian fans in the sacred 18-30 year-old bracket...
The majority of the core demographic will be dead before this track is built and hosts a points paying Cup event.

what are the trade agreements we have with china, will all of the sponsors be able to sell their products in china? what will the cost be to each team?

the racing in china will be no better then the racing here. some big money team will hit the set up and drive away from the rest.

For what it's worth, NASCAR decided three years in Japan was enough, and stopped going. Keep in mind this was during the sport's peak. Obviously they thought the return on investment wasn't good enough to justify it. I certainly don't see how that would be any different today. This trip to China is probably more about other business ventures IMO

I don't seem to recall anyone storming the Daytona offices with torches and pitchforks during the '90s exhibition races in Japan. Just me, I guess.

For what it's worth, NASCAR decided three years in Japan was enough, and stopped going. Keep in mind this was during the sport's peak. Obviously they thought the return on investment wasn't good enough to justify it. I certainly don't see how that would be any different today. This trip to China is probably more about other business ventures IMO
You make me wonder if the manufacturers have a hand in this, maybe trying to increase their market share with an audience who may not realize that what wins on 星期日 is not what they're buying on 星期.

Where was dip****t media from 1996-1998?
TV

Better yet, what were you doing from '96-'98?
No idea, but thats hardly relevant.

The point was Chex likely wasn't watching NASCAR in 1996.
Second hand viewing for sure. But Ive watched decades of seasons and races online long before my own time.

Not really. I guess I don't see the point of your question. Chex is right IMO. Didn't seem to bother anyone that they ran a race in Japan in those years
Bingo.

I don't get the significance of your question. Are you saying fans would have protested the Japanese races if the media had publicized them? I remember watching them on TV, so I don't think that's your point.
Today’s media gives people that weren’t around at the time of the events the false sense of being there.

Today’s media gives people that weren’t around at the time of the events the false sense of being there.
Okay, but I don't see what that response has to do with COW's previous post noting a lack of rioting in the streets in the '90s. For what it's worth, I WAS watching at that time.

I watched reruns of the Three Stooges. Same thing, I guess. Watched I Love Lucy too.
a-b-yay.gif

Okay, but I don't see what that response has to do with COW's previous post noting a lack of rioting in the streets in the '90s. For what it's worth, I WAS watching at that time.
I’ve never seen riots in the streets over NASCAR.
Usually the fan base simply declines.

Okay, now you've offered a reason beyond 'I hate it'.

I can back you on the NFL taking 'home games' to another market. It screws the team and its fans out of a game in the home stadium. I'd bet the fans get charged the same amount for that short season that they do for a full one. Maybe @Johali can comment; I believe he's a Jags fan and their games seem to get shipped to London more than other teams. (What the British did to deserve the Jags should be discussed by diplomats in an effort to prevent well-justified economic sanctions.) Mexican games aren't as bad because they're in a time zone that's common to the US and the teams don't get jet lag any worse than they do on a normal cross-country trip.

However, I'd feel the same way if that 'home game' was moved to another city in the US several hours away. And since adding an exhibition race doesn't deprive any existing track of a weekend, that objection doesn't apply to NASCAR.
I'm a Saints fan, @AndyMarquisLive is a Jags fan. When the Saints played the Dolphins 11 day's ago in London It looked like they had a sellout crowd. It doesn't bother me that they play over there every so often.

Last edited:
I really don’t know if I’d want to se NASCAR race at this track but I’d be down to see F1 or Indy Car race there, pretty races track it looks to be. I’m not opposed to a international points paying race Id be up for Mexico, Montreal, the Edmonton Airport that Indy ran at and for the hell of it Belgium. If fans won’t attend races here ...aw screw it let’s try overseas

I think the bigger problem was that NASCAR didn't have a bigger plan in mind. Now we've seen them run in Canada and Mexico in Busch/Truck recently but they also started up national series there around the same time.

Back
Top Bottom