MFR Shop -> New Car

Magnethead

Admin & Resident Techie
Staff member
Let the speculation begin. Nothing in stone yet, but dad's really, really interested.

Hint: It goes fast.

Looks like we're making a trip to nacogdoches on the 17th. Dot Dot Dot

Trying to get a game plan put together. Been a rush-rush deal that's been put together in the last 2 weeks. If all goes to plan, finishing the year in the camaro, then selling it and putting the driveline in the new car, but with a supercharger on top. If you think it looks new....well, that's because it is. Never been down the track.

afed99a6-6bd5-49c1-a7c2-d7768eea6738.jpg

Orange car now says For Sale on it, officially.

(Well, it will tonight. We picked up the decals today)

What's the price tag for that?
After 2 appraisals, we're thinking list at 18 and hope for 15.

We paid 20 for it with stock brakes, generic wheels, and lossy shocks. All of which we've replaced with top-line stuff. But we're selling it rolling, so some depreciation is expected, but what we added is equivalent to what it had in it when we bought it turn-key. So as much as we'd like to get 20 for it, we know it's likely not to happen.

camaro-listing.jpg

Here's one built a couple weeks ago that appears similar to the one we're looking at, but with carbon and chrome upgrades, and a hand-brake.

http://undercovermotorsports.com/andy-conrath-carbon-dual-shock-sa-dragster/
Magnethead, you will love the Undercover Chassis. We ordered a new 4-link Undercover super comp car from Kurt in 1998 when I was working for John Costanzas JCIT Demand Flow Racing. We were running a nitro f/c and an A-fuel dragster team, but John wanted to let his daughter start racing in super comp. After the car was finished being built I went down to Kurts shop in Florida and picked it up. It was one of the best looking race cars that I had ever seen. When I got back to Denver we rented Bandimere Speedway and Kurt flew in to show us how to adjust the car and helped us get her licensed. There was a division race that weekend at Brandimere and Kurt stayed and helped us tune her. She went 3 rounds in her first race...not bad for a rookie. Kurt is a very nice and knowledgeable guy, and that car was amazing.

Last edited:
Magnethead, you will love the Undercover Chassis. We ordered a new 4-link Undercover super comp car from Kurt in 1998 when I was working for John Costanzas JCIT Demand Flow Racing. We were running a nitro f/c and an A-fuel dragster team, but John wanted to let his daughter start racing in super comp. After the car was finished being built I went down to Kurts shop in Florida and picked it up. It was one of the best looking race cars that I had ever seen. When I got back to Denver we rented Bandimere Speedway and Kurt flew in to show us how to adjust the car and helped us get her licensed. There was a division race that weekend at Brandimere and Kurt stayed and helped us tune her. She went 3 rounds in her first race...not bad for a rookie. Kurt is a very nice and knowledgeable guy, and that car was amazing.

Ours is a 2011 dual shock swing-arm. More or less a clone to the coughlin's car and a few others that were built in the same batch. We haven't heard back, assuming the deal is still on for saturday. The guy didn't want a deposit so it's slightly unnerving.

That said, an hour's worth of rendering:

afed99a6-6bd5-49c1-a7c2-d7768eea6738.jpg

orange.jpg

orange-m1.jpg

orange-m2.jpg

I just got back this week from the western swing, and I'm leaving in the morning for Brainerd and I am going to stay out until after Indy. Good luck, I hope you get the car. I will check in and see if you sealed the deal.

3:54 AM, Saturday morning.

I really should have gone to bed....

Leaving at 7AM sharp. Ride is getting here at 6:45.

We determined that from our garage door to neighbor's mailbox is 65 feet. Friend's trailer is 32 feet, dually is a good 20 feet, 7 foot door, and 4 foot flap. Not gooseneck. Hope nobody minds while we close the street...

skipped trying to line up the trailer to house. much too tired. just wanted to unload and get in the AC. Had AC going to get it, but went out on the return trip. I took 4 cat naps on the return trip.

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_9144.jpg

IMG_9143.jpg

IMG_9142.jpg

IMG_9145.jpg

IMG_9146.jpg

IMG_9147.jpg

IMG_9148.jpg

IMG_9149.jpg

IMG_9150.jpg

Went through the new car, trying to build a game plan. Need to get battery tray made for the 16V, talk to RPM about the digital dash, and get K&R dash made (has digi-delay dash in it). Already know where the ignition, relay panel, and logger are going. Have an idea for where battery tray will be, but grounding options are a little slim. We'll make it work, through.

Slowly showing it to the neighbors. Some are like "Hey, i've seen those on TV!".

We won't break their heart and say it's not top fuel. We just say "Yea, we're hoping to go 4.30-4.40 with it" and don't elaborate on the distance difference :p

great lookin rollin chassis. luv tha blue !
bet ya like a kid at christmas.
lotsa work ahead . -----so good luck magnet...... gettin her finished out !
give us progress pics.

GOOD LUCK, Mag! Really neat dragster. Hope it brings numerous trophies home. Keep posting photos so we can watch the progression.

Ordered the battery box and new dash 2 weeks ago, waiting for them to arrive after being powdercoated. Once the dash arrives, we'll start sorting out the electrical and what not.

20130902_153413.jpg

20130902_153355.jpg

20130902_153341.jpg

Hell yeah! Congrats on the new hotrod

Can't say we're impressed with the front-desk/over-the-phone customer service. Going on week 3 for the battery box and dash. Starting to understand why everybody has the owner's personal phone number. It's just sitting in the garage right now.

I hear you. The boating season is coming to an end, my dad has been waiting for a set of lifters for five weeks. The boat is 300 yards from a lake and just sitting..

Last edited:
electronics came in. Got the new digital dash yesterday, the relay panel and launch controller came in today.

I'm excited to see your new car when it is done. It sounds like you are making a lot of progress.

I'm excited to see your new car when it is done. It sounds like you are making a lot of progress.
UC has been a bit difficult with their customer service. Took 2 tries on the dash, several weeks for a dash and battery tray.

We wired up alot of the primary electronics. All we lack are water pump, fan, the 0 gauge primary, 8 gauge secondary, wheel buttons, and completing the grounding system.

wheel buttons are put in, primary wiring is ran.

After a friend crashed her dragster and another blew his blower motor up this weekend, dad decided we're going to stay N/A and just swap the motor between cars...for now. Then build an aluminum block 540 blower motor to swap in later. The 565 is an iron block with tight shaved heads and nitrous pistons for a high CR. IT would take alot of work to get the CR down to blower threshold. Better off starting with a slow car and learning into it while building a purpose-built blower motor. Using an AL block is standard for blower motors so that you can weld up the hole(s) that the connecting rods make...

Price on the camaro went up 1K, dad almost doesn't want to get rid of it. Friend with (now blown) blower motor already volunteered his shop to keep it in, so that it's out of our way.

ok, time for an update. We have the headers, scoop tray, and scoop now. Electrical is as far as it's going to get without the motor in it.

Plan for the weekend, weather and work schedules permitting, is to play jigsaw puzzle with our toys and driveway.

Camaro go out, gets washed, then parked in the street. Then the dragster gets rolled out, and put behind the camaro's current door. Then the camaro comes in the center bay. Remove engine, trans, computer, and ignition, then drop on rollers and slide where it is now. Then bring dragster back into center bay.

Back
Top Bottom