Michigan Pre-race Race Thread

Father's Day race at Michigan was the very first race I attended in person in the mid 90s. I bought tics and hubby and I made the race the center weekend of his vacation. That started my binge of attending races ---sometimes 7 a year.

I enjoy Michigan because you have cars all over the track, top to bottom.

I enjoy the fact that Nascar has kept a lot of those traditional weekends together and not bowed to the pressure to make foolish changes in the hope of attracting a couple more fans on another date .

What a great day. The smell of racing fuel is much better than any little blue pill.... ;)

MIS is once again a very fast track and has multiple lanes. The weekend stands to get much better tomorrow and Sunday.

qualifying surprises? Manard 4th and Almirola 5th? What are they doing up there? Manard was ready to run another lap, he thought he screwed upo_O . Stewart Haas, all of them sucked pretty bad, thought they would do better than that. Hamlin was supposed to get the hand grenade Toyota for the Gibbs group and he is the slowest of the three. Bobby freakin Labonte qualifies in the top 20? Gordon 29th, whats up with that.o_O A Ford, the slowest brand of the bunch is sitting on pole. First time for Carl to sit on the pole at Michigan, First pole for the Fords all year. Something fishy is going on.

Almirola has been fast at times this year, top ten car at least half the weekends. Same with Menard. Ford program seems to be coming along. Labonte is in a better car this week.

Manard's average start is 17th and Almirola's is 21st this year. There is going to be some shake ups in the standings if either one finishes that high.

Keep in mind last year Almirola qualified up front more weekends then not. They don't call him the cuban missile for nothin ;)

That's racin. Just when you think you know it all and have everything figured out , you get upside down results . We all thought Menard was just there because of daddy's money , that Labonte couldn't drive anymore , that this is maybe Hamlin's year and that the Fords had no speed. Go figure .:)

Are the Fords down on power or simply not handling that well? In ALL the cup races run this year, they have 5 poles compared to Chevy's 6 while Toyota has 9.

Are the Fords down on power or simply not handling that well? In ALL the cup races run this year, they have 5 poles compared to Chevy's 6 while Toyota has 9.

Good question. My comment was more along the lines of the Gibbs Toyota's making big horsepower (and often breaking) and Hendrick making big horsepower ( often winning) RCR and Ford ,not so much . That said , they are all likely pretty close to each other.

Good question. My comment was more along the lines of the Gibbs Toyota's making big horsepower (and often breaking) and Hendrick making big horsepower ( often winning) RCR and Ford ,not so much . That said , they are all likely pretty close to each other.

When Kenseth can consistantly qualify near the front, that car is making some serious power. On the flip side of that, Gordon has had only flashes of being able to get out of his own way this year. You don't suppose the #24 has become the R&D car/team for HMS? Then again it could be from Knaus "poaching" their crew members;)

I don't know where you got that info. It is Fords first pole cup this year.

With a lap of 202.452, Carl Edwards won the pole position for Sunday's Quicken Loans 400, the first time a Ford driver has secured the No. 1 spot in qualifying this season.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/6/14/4...speedway-quicken-loans-400-qualifying-results

When Kenseth can consistantly qualify near the front, that car is making some serious power. On the flip side of that, Gordon has had only flashes of being able to get out of his own way this year. You don't suppose the #24 has become the R&D car/team for HMS? Then again it could be from Knaus "poaching" their crew members;)

Chad has been famous for that . Don't know what to make of Gordon except that he seems to be following the path of all of the sports superstars (Bill Elliott , Rusty , DW , the Labontes ) whose performance didn't cease all at once , but it did decline over the last few years of their careers . Their fans stuck with them to the end , in spite of other fans noteing the decline. I still think that ageing veterans are invaluable to sponsors and fledgling race teams even though they are not the treat to win races anymore.

Keep in mind last year Almirola qualified up front more weekends then not. They don't call him the cuban missile for nothin ;)

With an average start of 16th in 2012, that is closer to mid pack and an average finish of 20 is mid pack. Needs to find better rocket fuel. Doing well with what he has to work with. His crew chief Todd Parrott came on board in September of last year, and he is doing better with Todd for sure. He qualified way higher than his average start at Michigan, but he needs a high finish if he wants to stay in the running, top ten or better. This is a big race. Any of those in the 11th to 20th need a win besides Stewart to get in the running for the wild card. Getting to be crunch time.

Almirola had 4 top tens in a row this year and his highest Qualifying spot was 3rd at Texas. Not to mention that he has same crew chief and car as the Michigan pole sitter last year, I don't find his run that surprising.

Almirola has been fast at times this year, top ten car at least half the weekends. Same with Menard. Ford program seems to be coming along. Labonte is in a better car this week.

Dang man..don't know where you are getting this stuff from. Almirola has three top tens out of 14 starts. That isn't even a fourth much less 1/2? Manard has one more top ten with 4, still not a third of the weekends. You making this stuff up?

Dang man..don't know where you are getting this stuff from. Almirola has three top tens out of 14 starts. That isn't even a fourth much less 1/2? Manard has one more top ten with 4, still not a third of the weekends. You making this stuff up?

I was talking in general with a previous post. This is Aric's stats from this year http://racing-reference.info/drivdet/almirar01/2013/W

1oth at Talladega counts as a top ten.

I was talking in general with a previous post. This is Aric's stats from this year http://racing-reference.info/drivdet/almirar01/2013/W

1oth at Talladega counts as a top ten.
"in general" I guess means just make up anything that sounds good, and then waffle around when anybody calls you on your B.S. If you would have checked the stats first instead of making them up, you would see that my original post wasn't B.S. like yours were, ya dig?

"in general" I guess means just make up anything that sounds good, and then waffle around when anybody calls you on your B.S. If you would have checked the stats first instead of making them up, you would see that my original post wasn't B.S. like yours were, ya dig?

See, the problem with this is, I didn't say Aric had 7 top tens.. I was saying from my view that he had a top ten car half of the weekends.. He was in the top 12 in points after his 4 top tens in a row. Menard was top ten in points as of last week.

Your original post read like they were top 25 cars at best every weekend and couldn't possibly qualify in the top 5 when Alimrola did so at Texas this year. Menard started 5th at Bristol.

qualifying surprises? Manard 4th and Almirola 5th? What are they doing up there? Manard was ready to run another lap, he thought he screwed upo_O . Stewart Haas, all of them sucked pretty bad, thought they would do better than that. Hamlin was supposed to get the hand grenade Toyota for the Gibbs group and he is the slowest of the three. Bobby freakin Labonte qualifies in the top 20? Gordon 29th, whats up with that.o_O A Ford, the slowest brand of the bunch is sitting on pole. First time for Carl to sit on the pole at Michigan, First pole for the Fords all year. Something fishy is going on.

There is my original post above wiggle worm. Here is yours below nothing but fantasy. Below that are the facts. 4 top tens out of 14 races is not even close to a top ten car. So wiggle on dude.:)

Almirola has been fast at times this year, top ten car at least half the weekends. Same with Menard. Ford program seems to be coming along. Labonte is in a better car this week.​

Sunday
tstorms.gif
Overcast with a chance of a thunderstorm and a chance of rain in the morning, then partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm and a chance of rain. High of 79F. Winds from the West at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Sunday Night
nt_partlycloudy.gif
Partly cloudy. Low of 57F. Winds from the West at 5 to 20 mph.

Hourly Forecast6AM12 Noon6PM12 Midnight
Temp. | Dew Point 66 | 64 74 | 64 77 | 60 63 | 57
Wind 13 mph SW 13 mph West 14 mph West 7 mph West
Humidity 93% 70% 54% 83%
Chance of Precip. 70% 10% 40% 10%
Cloud Cover 97% 59% 42% 37%
Conditions Thunderstorm Partly Cloudy Chance of a Thunderstorm Partly Cloudy
Sunrise & Sunset
6:00 AM
9:15 PM

I am really excited about what I saw today. If the race on TV was half as good as it was in person, we all got our moneys worth.

The track may be green in the morning, but just wait until some rubber gets put down.

983576_466234426792581_287533424_n.jpg

Thte TNT Television compound at Michigan. And yes, those are COMMERCIAL vehicles...Hehehehh...

I am really excited about what I saw today. If the race on TV was half as good as it was in person, we all got our moneys worth.

The track may be green in the morning, but just wait until some rubber gets put down.

It was a pretty good race on my TV and I don't recall one whining, bitching, moaning, poor me, I can do better, attention seeking, Nascar bashing, negative post in the race thread so I give it high marks :D

Enjoy the race.

It was a pretty good race on my TV and I don't recall one whining, bitching, moaning, poor me, I can do better, attention seeking, Nascar bashing, negative post in the race thread so I give it high marks :D

Enjoy the race.
Attention students, a perfect example of whining about whining etc. etc. etc.

Hamlin is in desperation mode - look for a big mess towards the end.If his engine holds together for that long And will he expect his teammates to pull over for him so he can make the chase? which they probably won't

What makes the media believe that Earnhardt is so great at Michagin, I'll never know. It's like he's a road course ringer but only at Michigan.

Edwards will likely lead a bunch of laps but if the #78 can keep his head (he's also won twice at Michigan) and manage to pull off a few good pit stops, he may be the man today. I'd like to see KuBu in the chase and making some noise ;)

Jeff Gordon, starting 29th, needs to s**t or soon get off the pot.

Logano best watch out for Dillon..."I'm racing a cup race tomorrow and I'm not running for points either." I love it :D

#48 & #5 will be at the front, near the end.

Attention students, a perfect example of whining about whining etc. etc. etc.

Too ****** bad that my post don't meet YOUR high standards. You're not a mod here so you can kiss my ass. Judge that one, will you please?????????????????????????
******* bully.

Too ****** bad that my post don't meet YOUR high standards. You're not a mod here so you can kiss my ass. Judge that one, will you please?????????????????????????
******* bully.
Yeeehaw, cant take it when you are on the wrong end of your own snipes, name calling is really mature.

Yeeehaw, cant take it when you are on the wrong end of your own snipes, name calling is really mature.

Kiss my ass. Standard reply to your diarrhea. The ball is now in your court so you can either ignore me and find another member to harass with your bullying or kiss my ass - your choice.

Kiss my ass. Standard reply to your diarrhea. The ball is now in your court so you can either ignore me and find another member to harass with your bullying or kiss my ass - your choice.
Now I really do understand why Andy and others like fishing and catching people at their own game so much, its fun.

Meanwhile, i am sharpening my pencil so I can keep track of the upcoming commercial count.

Hamlin is in desperation mode - look for a big mess towards the end.If his engine holds together for that long And will he expect his teammates to pull over for him so he can make the chase? which they probably won't

What makes the media believe that Earnhardt is so great at Michagin, I'll never know. It's like he's a road course ringer but only at Michigan.

Edwards will likely lead a bunch of laps but if the #78 can keep his head (he's also won twice at Michigan) and manage to pull off a few good pit stops, he may be the man today. I'd like to see KuBu in the chase and making some noise ;)

Jeff Gordon, starting 29th, needs to s**t or soon get off the pot.

Logano best watch out for Dillon..."I'm racing a cup race tomorrow and I'm not running for points either." I love it :D

#48 & #5 will be at the front, near the end.

Pretty much agree with all of that, I have been wondering about the 24 after the hard hit earlier this year, sometimes those are game changers.
Dillon screwed himself yesterday not once but twice. Logano happened to be handy to blame, instead of himself for being a dufus. Paw Paw will probably straighten him out.
I think the race itself is going to be a bit of a chess match and that plays into the 48 camp, and other crew chiefs that are good at that sort of thing, Parrott, Addington,Wolfe.
Something you never can predict is Nascar, depends on their mood, will they control the race with debris cautions, or will there be enough cautions without them.

Back
Top Bottom