Monster Energy's status as a sponsor of NASCAR

So you are saying no money at all would be better than $10-15 million for just a couple of years. That one or two year deal could also turn in to a 5 year deal eventually. If you have an array of sponsors lining up every so many years I'd say that's a good problem to have though.

The quality of the partnership is far more important long term (think Winston) than taking 10-15 million a year. If you think the short term view of taking the most they can get from whatever company is writing the checks I accept our difference of opinion.

I mocked the ‘monster energy nascar cup series’ as being too wordy. It now makes perfect sense. Next year they can do nascar cup series presented by some company that cut us a couple million dollar check. Or rockauto.com nascar cup series, etc. and they don’t have to change much on the billboards and clothing patches.

The quality of the partnership is far more important long term (think Winston) than taking 10-15 million a year. If you think the short term view of taking the most they can get from whatever company is writing the checks I accept our difference of opinion.

Do you know the specifics of the Winston deals? I don't think they signed a 30+ year deal in 1971. I think you take the deal that pays you and if it is short term you work to extend it, not leave money on the table.

I can see people wanting to what is expedient and take the dough and from a short term perspective it makes great sense. NASCAR normally operates in the short term so I am sure they will get all they can and worry later

At the time, Winston needed a PR outlet more than NASCAR needed a sponsor. NASCAR was getting along happily enough without a title sponsor; Winston had the federal government shutting down many of its existing advertising outlets. Indeed, the only reason Winston isn't still sponsoring the series was federal pressure to get out of sports.

Having become addicted to tobacco (see what I did there?), NASCAR today needs a title sponsor more than Monster needs NASCAR.

At the time, Winston needed a PR outlet more than NASCAR needed a sponsor. NASCAR was getting along happily enough without a title sponsor; Winston had the federal government shutting down many of its existing advertising outlets. Indeed, the only reason Winston isn't still sponsoring the series was federal pressure to get out of sports.

Having become addicted to tobacco (see what I did there?), NASCAR today needs a title sponsor more than Monster needs NASCAR.

All good points!

Absolutely the greatest sponsor. T. Wayne Robertson took promotion to the next level.

And, yes, not so great product.
T. Wayne should be in the HoF, in my opinion. He was a giant in the growth of NASCAR.

who do you guys will think would be a good sponsor now?? i think at&t or verizon would be awesome

who do you guys will think would be a good sponsor now?? i think at&t or verizon would be awesome
I don't think another telecom company would be a good fit. It made sense when that industry was in its early growth phase, but not so much today.

I think Monster has demonstrated that it's difficult for a sponsor to bring its existing market base into stock car racing. I think the next sponsor should be someone who has an foothold in the existing NASCAR fan base and is looking to increase their share of that market. I don't have the market research numbers to be more specific than that.

the NATION WIDE cup series would be awesome name and cool , but its on the 88 car

Coke, or Pepsi would be real good. Coke already sponsors the NHRA. Pepsi, I don't know about. I know NASCAR uses at least one of them in their concession stands. That would be a perfect match.

Nobody. Sports leagues shouldn't debase themselves by selling their very name to the highest bidder.

Nascar is a different beast as you can be a broadcaster and a team owner and until they were shamed into changing the rules a triple A player could go down to single A and win a championship and those are just a couple of things. Things are not as cut and dried, IMO, but I certainly see your point.

Nobody. Sports leagues shouldn't debase themselves by selling their very name to the highest bidder.
Sports is business. Business is about making money. Like the old joke says,

"We've already decided what kind of girl you are. Now we're haggling."

Great news as I think that continuity is for the best and I hope that a 2 year deal is reached so it won't become a distraction next year.

Wow, an extension and de facto exit announced on the same day. Credit to Phelps and NASCAR for being open about the situation, but a lame duck arrangement is not encouraging. Hopefully a more stable situation can be found for 2020 and beyond. I had high hopes for Monster's involvement, and I think they have been a horrendous partner.

Changing the model huh. Maybe they finally start calling the series the "NASCAR Cup Series" and have multiple background sponsors or different sponsors for portions of the year.

Can they at least leave us the freakin trophy though? Sigh.

Well, that doesn’t sound promising. At least we have a couple years left before mavtv takes over the tv broadcast?

That's a little awkward.

And yeah, talk about a monstrous disappointment. So much for the high hopes of bringing in an "edgy" brand to take the sport into the future.

Never forget - Brian made that sales call.
Sponsors are not supposed to make the sport edgy. The sport is supposed to be edgy and then attract edgy sponsors.

But that's probably too complicated for Brian France to figure out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Changing the model huh. Maybe they finally start calling the series the "NASCAR Cup Series" and have multiple background sponsors or different sponsors for portions of the year.

Can they at least leave us the freakin trophy though? Sigh.
I really would like to see them move to this, call it the Cup series sponsored by, so much better than changing the name every time they get a new sponsor.

Sponsors are not supposed to make the sport edgy. The sport is supposed to be edgy and then attract edgy sponsors.

But that's probably too complicated for Brian France to figure out.
The sport wasn't edgy before Monster got here; I can't know why they thought it would change. It's not all on BZF (this time).

Back
Top Bottom