Monster Energy's status as a sponsor of NASCAR

Last year I was told monster was going to step up their activation game in the 2nd half and in 2018. So far it looks the same except for maybe the Hollywood monster report.

Last year I was told monster was going to step up their activation game in the 2nd half and in 2018. So far it looks the same except for maybe the Hollywood monster report.
And that's just the Nationwide Jr. update with a new coat of paint, another in-race ad that no one likes.

Sources: Monster Close To Extending NASCAR Cup Series Sponsorship

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2018/03/27/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/Monster.aspx

Monster Energy is close to extending its title sponsorship of NASCAR’s premier series, according to nearly a dozen sources close to the deal. It could not be determined whether the renewal would be for one or two years, but an extension would of course be a shot in the arm for NASCAR, which did not want to be out on the market looking for a new title sponsor to take over at the start of ’19. NASCAR also has touted Monster’s cache with younger demographics as a way it is going to grow the sport. Monster’s original deal was a two-year deal through ’18 with a two-year option for around $20M annually. The company was supposed to inform NASCAR of its intention to renew for the ’19-20 seasons by Dec. 31 but has asked for multiple extensions, which NASCAR has granted. Top execs from NASCAR and Monster have met several times in the last three months about the extension, including most recently within the last few weeks. With only eight months remaining in the current deal, NASCAR and its partners need an answer, and signs indicate that Monster is coming back. Exactly when the sides would announce the renewal was unclear, but it is expected that they would move swiftly. Neither NASCAR nor Monster, who have remained very tight-lipped during this process, commented when contacted by SportsBusiness Journal.

Wonder why no other Major Sport has a title sponsor? The Monster Energy NFL !

Reactions: Acs
Because they aren't that stupid, they secure TV contracts and have mutual partners, like official beers, pizza, and the like.

Nascar has many official sponsors, The Title Sponsor was just an added bonus for their own pockets. Like other sports the TV contract is paying the freight for the teams.

Nascar has many official sponsors, The Title Sponsor was just an added bonus for their own pockets. Like other sports the TV contract is paying the freight for the teams.
Thanks, I dont know why he doesnt understand that.

Nascar has had the good fortune to collect a lot of gravy over the years and still does.

It's called. Taxpayers, build us a stadium or we will leave..the BSLNFL :p:D.

Can you imagine if the owner of the track in Joliet went to the city and said "build us a new racing facility or we are leaving?" After the city fathers quit laughing they would tell them not to let door at city hall hit them on the ass on their way out of town. You have to have something in demand in order to extract dough from the powers that be. You could substitute Joliet with just about anywhere Nascar races.

Can you imagine if the owner of the track in Joliet went to the city and said "build us a new racing facility or we are leaving?" After the city fathers quit laughing they would tell them not to let door at city hall hit them on the ass on their way out of town. You have to have something in demand in order to extract dough from the powers that be. You could substitute Joliet with just about anywhere Nascar races.

hopefully it stays that way. we the people don't need to finance any more billionaires (city fathers) :D:confused:

You ever heard of Bruton Smith?

Bruton asked the Nashville city commissioners to do somewhat the same thing if he took over the Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway a couple years ago and they turned him down.
He threatened to Move CMS and got a deal with the county for tax breaks that turned in to a lawsuit. The State Supreme Court declined to hear it but he still got a settlement and more deals from the county.

He threatened to Move CMS and got a deal with the county for tax breaks that turned in to a lawsuit. The State Supreme Court declined to hear it but he still got a settlement and more deals from the county.
Yeah..... I recall all that. Luckily the Nashville commissioners saw thru his guise. They awarded the lease to a local promoter.

I think the whole deal went down 10-15 years ago and had to do with Bruton wanting to build a drag strip. I believe county officials agreed to pay for infrastructure for the endeavor but Bruton never got anything in writing and got mad and sued as he didn't like the length of time the process of payment would take. Either way it was when things were still fairly good for Nascar and county officials may not give a dime today. I think the city recently gave 100 million to upgrade the stadium where the Panthers play and will also give money to refurbish the arena where the basketball team plays.

With Nascar having hat in hand they are not in any position to dictate terms to Monster so what is the holdup?

With Nascar having hat in hand they are not in any position to dictate terms to Monster so what is the holdup?

I think Nascar is in a position to dictate terms and that leaves Monster the right to accept or reject sponsorship. In some cases Nascar may be better off without those millions in the short term.
Of course I am also of the opinion that Nascar should have there own TV production team and sell that product to TV broadcasters. I am certain that with race knowledgeable people in charge they could produce a much better product and maybe stop the decline.

I think Nascar is in a position to dictate terms and that leaves Monster the right to accept or reject sponsorship. In some cases Nascar may be better off without those millions in the short term.
Of course I am also of the opinion that Nascar should have there own TV production team and sell that product to TV broadcasters. I am certain that with race knowledgeable people in charge they could produce a much better product and maybe stop the decline.

IMO Nascar should forego a title sponsor for its series unless the sponsor is willing to make a commitment of at least 5 years.

IMO Nascar should forego a title sponsor for its series unless the sponsor is willing to make a commitment of at least 5 years.
I don't think NASCAR can command a contract that long any more. Three's about the most I can see. Remember, a sponsor can basically run a team for the same amount of money, and that's usually a three year deal.

I don't think NASCAR can command a contract that long any more. Three's about the most I can see. Remember, a sponsor can basically run a team for the same amount of money, and that's usually a three year deal.

I hear you as when anyone announces a multi-year deal with Nascar it is not uncommon for it to be 2 years.

Yeah..... I recall all that. Luckily the Nashville commissioners saw thru his guise. They awarded the lease to a local promoter.

Fans were upset too. For some reason, they think the guy who shut down North Wilkesboro and Rockingham will be the savior of short track racing.

I think it send the wrong message if you have an array of sponsors signing on for a couple of years and leaving. If Nascar was getting 75 million per year it would be worth it but not for 10-15 million or whatever the next deal is worth.

So you are saying no money at all would be better than $10-15 million for just a couple of years. That one or two year deal could also turn in to a 5 year deal eventually. If you have an array of sponsors lining up every so many years I'd say that's a good problem to have though.

So you are saying no money at all would be better than $10-15 million for just a couple of years. That one or two year deal could also turn in to a 5 year deal eventually. If you have an array of sponsors lining up every so many years I'd say that's a good problem to have though.

I don't know about you, but I can see the brilliance in that.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom