Monster Energy's status as a sponsor of NASCAR

If it is true and the average Nascar fan is around 60 I dont see the benefit of Monster trying to introduce to them. I know that people in my age group drink coffee and decaf, water, lemonade and ice tea but not so much fizzy stuff or energy drinks. I dont know if Monsters drinks are fizzy or flat cuz I never had a energy drink before as I am set with what I drink. Maybe Monster came in because they thought they could have a big influence on Nascar and they found out it wasnt true. Maybe the delay now is them trying to get the influence they think they need so they can mold things as they like.

I read on Yahoo or google and someone was saying that the 20 million that Monster paid might have been the reason that lots of companies backed off the dollars paid to teams. The thinking was if you get the series for 20 why pay 15 for a team. COuld be true could be false but its interesting theory.

Your point about how the older folks are pretty much fixed in their drink preferences is well taken. With NASCAR fans getting older on average, the sport just isn't as appealing to advertisers who crave those under 25 year old eyeballs.

Some haven't figured out it is a billionaires playground. Already forgot one of them, Hendrick paid a year of Kahne's salary to change up his team. Still laughing about some high binders saying Haas couldn't afford to run 4 cars.

What is Monster's job in your eyes, that they have been great at doing? Do you think Monster's hesitance about extending is due to their displeasure with NASCAR not allowing them more freedom? Have their been any reports about what NASCAR has stopped them from doing?

At the track Monster has done a great job I believe. I'm not sure what most of you are expecting but from what I've seen at the track Monster does alot more than Sprint did on a much smaller dime. I think NASCAR hasn't fully embraced Monster, probably because the length of the original deal and fear of having to change for someone new if it comes to that. I believe the hesitance is just business and seeing exactly what they are involved in, its only been a year so they probably want to get as much data as possible to see if its worth it.

Blah Blah all caps BLAH.

Nobody walks away from money, including
Rick Hendrick. When he “self” sponsors, there are no other options.

BS to your blah. Hendrick Motorsports lists 9 primary and 15 associate sponsors just among the people they are ALEADY doing business with. PLENTY of options there, just not at the price HMS demands. Same goes for Gene Haas. The business I work for walks away from money every day, because we will NOT take lowball money just to have the business. Any race team I have ever been involved with will take ANY amount of money you offer, but you're NOT getting primary sponsor status for associate sponsor money. NASCAR has already established that the Cup Series sponsorship is only worth about the same as a real good season long car sponsorship. If they allow that value to sink any lower, it will be next to worthless.

I think Monster has done a great job and I hope they stay. I believe it's NASCAR who has been the problem in the partnership and not allowing Monster to do certain things. Like what does the band playing have anything to with racing that NASCAR should object to. If Monster wants rock bands and rappers let them have them.
I haven't followed the relationship very closely. Has NASCAR told Monster what musical acts they can bring to the track?

I think the tracks book the bands, not NASCAR itself. If there's a conflict, I'd think it would be between Monster and the track operators.

Maybe one of the streaming platforms will bid on the contract and win. That would be something. Trying to teach people who are analog about streaming.:AHHHH:
It would certainly be a learning curve for me. While I'm in IT for a living, I do very little with consumer technologies.

Blah Blah all caps BLAH.

Nobody walks away from money, including
Rick Hendrick. When he “self” sponsors, there are no other options.
There are always other options, including failure. When Hendrick or Haas or Roush self-sponsor, it's because it's a better financial option than the alternatives. LLong-term value of the property is one consideration.

Tell that to Rick Hendrick when he puts his own website on a car instead of taking some low-ball sponsorship offer and devaluing the sponsorships he already has in place. Sorry NAPA, you pay $400,000 per race for this car, but we'll let Joe's Bait and Tackle sponsor it for $50,000 per race. NOT. Frankly, if NASCAR takes any less money, the amount they would be getting would be statistically irrelevant anyway. I'd be willing to sponsor the Cup Pole award for $500.00 per year, any length of contract they desire, but so far, Brian Z. hasn't returned my calls.......

That should tell you something about how companies view the return on their investment if NASCAR can't find a sponsor. Adjustments are being made throughout the sport and the drivers are the only ones who will see the correction.

Your point about how the older folks are pretty much fixed in their drink preferences is well taken. With NASCAR fans getting older on average, the sport just isn't as appealing to advertisers who crave those under 25 year old eyeballs.
Another disadvantage to reaching out to the over-50 NASCAR fans is that we're just not as easily manipulated as younger people. Many of us no longer care to spend money on something to make us cool or to have the latest popular gee-gaw.

People and companies walk away from money all the time if they feel it is not enough and can reasonably expect more. If you are desperate and your product or service has no real demand you take what you can get.

We know that Nascar has some very wealthy owners but that has nothing to do with Monster continuing as series sponsor.

It is not unreasonable to conclude that Nascar hurt the teams ability to get good paying sponsors because they took so little from Monster.

Nascar would be better off taking 5-10 million a year from a sponsor willing to stay for a longer term instead of shorter term deals like the current one.

That should tell you something about how companies view the return on their investment if NASCAR can't find a sponsor. Adjustments are being made throughout the sport and the drivers are the only ones who will see the correction.
Did you mean "...the drivers AREN'T the only ones..."?

People and companies walk away from money all the time if they feel it is not enough and can reasonably expect more. If you are desperate and your product or service has no real demand you take what you can get.

We know that Nascar has some very wealthy owners but that has nothing to do with Monster continuing as series sponsor.

It is not unreasonable to conclude that Nascar hurt the teams ability to get good paying sponsors because they took so little from Monster.

Nascar would be better off taking 5-10 million a year from a sponsor willing to stay for a longer term instead of shorter term deals like the current one.

I agree that a long term deal would be much better for everyone involved, but how does taking only 5-10 million per year jive with your conclusion that NASCAR taking only 20 million hurts the teams?

I agree that a long term deal would be much better for everyone involved, but how does taking only 5-10 million per year jive with your conclusion that NASCAR taking only 20 million hurts the teams?

My 2 cents says the teams have already been hurt and the damage done so at this point taking a longer term deal for less money is next best thing.

At some point, the dollar amount would be low enough to not really be worth the hassle for NASCAR, and would only make them look kind of pathetic. It would be better to send the message that "we're strong enough, we don't even NEED a title sponsor". Just the cost of changing things over from one title sponsor to another would probably eat up most of that first years payment at a 10 million or less number.

Just the cost of changing things over from one title sponsor to another would probably eat up most of that first years payment at a 10 million or less number.
I suspect the costs to the track owners exceeds that of NASCAR itself. Most of what NASCAR has to change is electronic stuff. The tracks have the physical property to re-brand.

BS to your blah. Hendrick Motorsports lists 9 primary and 15 associate sponsors just among the people they are ALEADY doing business with. PLENTY of options there, just not at the price HMS demands. Same goes for Gene Haas. The business I work for walks away from money every day, because we will NOT take lowball money just to have the business. Any race team I have ever been involved with will take ANY amount of money you offer, but you're NOT getting primary sponsor status for associate sponsor money. NASCAR has already established that the Cup Series sponsorship is only worth about the same as a real good season long car sponsorship. If they allow that value to sink any lower, it will be next to worthless.
If the real value to a sponsor of a season-long commitment to a race team was $20 million, HMS would have 4 of those rather than 9 primaries and 15 associates.

At present, the value of a season-long series sponsorship is $20 million and one company is paying that. One of these things is an apple and the other is an orange.

The value of either is market-driven ... that’s how our system works. Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. In the current down market, values are dropping. There is no guarantee that they won’t drop further. Whatever happens, you can be sure that nobody is going to walk away from a reasonable check ... it doesn’t matter if his name is France or Hendrick.

Another disadvantage to reaching out to the over-50 NASCAR fans is that we're just not as easily manipulated as younger people. Many of us no longer care to spend money on something to make us cool or to have the latest popular gee-gaw.
That got me thinking that maybe "Depends" would be interested in becoming the next sponsor. It could be the Depends Series and all of NASCAR's questionable race calls could be answered with it Depends. By the way us old farts who spend money on Depends would be doing it to make us look cool. Without em, it would be pretty ugly. Oh good grief...I have gone off the deep end.

If the real value to a sponsor of a season-long commitment to a race team was $20 million, HMS would have 4 of those rather than 9 primaries and 15 associates.

At present, the value of a season-long series sponsorship is $20 million and one company is paying that. One of these things is an apple and the other is an orange.

The value of either is market-driven ... that’s how our system works. Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. In the current down market, values are dropping. There is no guarantee that they won’t drop further. Whatever happens, you can be sure that nobody is going to walk away from a reasonable check ... it doesn’t matter if his name is France or Hendrick.

That got me thinking that maybe "Depends" would be interested in becoming the next sponsor. It could be the Depends Series and all of NASCAR's questionable race calls could be answered with it Depends. By the way us old farts who spend money on Depends would be doing it to make us look cool. Without em, it would be pretty ugly. Oh good grief...I have gone off the deep end.

Good deal, we will add plates, Coyotes, hamburgers, and depends. I nominate KFC with Reba handing out chicken legs, it will draw a crowd..activation they call it now days, chicken activation. bawk.

This is the third or fourth reference I've seen here lately to 'Coyotes'. Does this word have some definition I'm unaware of, something beyond canine quadrupeds? :blink:

This is the third or fourth reference I've seen here lately to 'Coyotes'. Does this word have some definition I'm unaware of, something beyond canine quadrupeds? :blink:
NHL Hockey team who's franchise is now owned by the league so it won't get sold off on the cheap like France did with the title sponsor Monster.

NHL Hockey team who's franchise is now owned by the league so it won't get sold off on the cheap like France did with the title sponsor Monster.
Its been nothing but an ongoing debacle over this damn hockey team, we have lost interest in hockey here from what it seems like, we had hockey fever for about a couple of years, but then all the issues started when the team had to have their own arena , and that is when it all went down hill.

Its our hockey team, you can have it if you want, but you gotta feed and pick up after it.

Thank you!
there are two kinds of Coyotes. This Coyote is not to be confused with the self supporting animal, but the tax payer animal
http://reason.com/blog/2017/04/08/arizonas-terrible-hockey-team-wants-a-th
Arizona’s Terrible Hockey Team Wants a Third Taxpayer Funded Stadium Since 1996
The team stinks and the fans are apathetic but the NHL is lobbying hard for a new arena, promising things will be different this time.

there are two kinds of Coyotes. This Coyote is not to be confused with the self supporting animal, but the tax payer animal
Arizona’s Terrible Hockey Team Wants a Third Taxpayer Funded Stadium Since 1996
The team stinks and the fans are apathetic but the NHL is lobbying hard for a new arena, promising things will be different this time.

Yeah, I gotta remember to add another item to my growing 'Retirement Criteria':

"No city with history of spending public money on private sports team."

If a race track can make it on its own with at most three weekends a year, so can any sport with a minimum of 18 events.

Trivial anecdote of the day, I stopped to get gas today and the pump across from me was advertising some sort of Monster promotion going on, and the accompanying picture was from a Supercross race. I think it's been pointed out here before that Monster has, or at least had, very little NASCAR-related signage up at gas stations and convenience stores. You used to not be able to go to anywhere like that without seeing some NASCAR promotion. Considering Monster's line of business, it's a mystery as to why they seemingly don't have anything like that up anywhere.

Its been nothing but an ongoing debacle over this damn hockey team, we have lost interest in hockey here from what it seems like, we had hockey fever for about a couple of years, but then all the issues started when the team had to have their own arena , and that is when it all went down hill.
They re playing that game in every city that has an NHL franchise.
Currently it is the Ottawa Senators owner that want a new arena.
When they put less than 20,000 fans in the seats it makes you wonder if this is just a game played by the rich. Far as I am concerned they can shut hockey down altogether.

Was it me, or did Harvick make quick work of getting rid of a Monster towel that was laid over his shoulder in his victory lane interview? He may have just wanted to move it, I don't know. He sorta glanced at it, and moved it out of the camera frame. And he rattled off all his sponsors, never said a word about Monster. The Monster patch was visible on his uniform though, as it is on all the drivers. Who knows? See it here.

Last edited:
They re playing that game in every city that has an NHL franchise.
Currently it is the Ottawa Senators owner that want a new arena.
When they put less than 20,000 fans in the seats it makes you wonder if this is just a game played by the rich. Far as I am concerned they can shut hockey down altogether.

all sports needs to stand on it's own feet IMO. While other sports are fleecing the taxpayer, lets single out a sport that is self financed and is going to invest 500 million dollars of it own non taxpayer money to modernize their facilities in the near future. Will they get a tax break(s) instead of a taxpayer handout, I sure hope so. Nascar has and will continue to make changes as needed, They aren't on the welfare teat. Cities should wake up to the fact that the same ol song and dance about economic impact would be better served dealing with much more important community issues than building yet another half filled stadium

Trivial anecdote of the day, I stopped to get gas today and the pump across from me was advertising some sort of Monster promotion going on, and the accompanying picture was from a Supercross race. I think it's been pointed out here before that Monster has, or at least had, very little NASCAR-related signage up at gas stations and convenience stores. You used to not be able to go to anywhere like that without seeing some NASCAR promotion. Considering Monster's line of business, it's a mystery as to why they seemingly don't have anything like that up anywhere.

They actually do a tremendous job of promoting Supercross. That's why I believed when this first happened that it would be very good for NASCAR, and that there was an actual plan for how to integrate the disparate cultures involved.

Was it me, or did Harvick make quick work of getting rid of a Monster towel that was laid over his shoulder in his victory lane interview? He may have just wanted to move it, I don't know. He sorta glanced at it, and moved it out of the camera frame. And he rattled off all his sponsors, never said a word about Monster. The Monster patch was visible on his uniform though, as it is on all the drivers. Who knows? See it here.

I recall seeing that a couple of times now. However, it wasn't always Monster towels. I think I saw it at least once with either an Xfinity towel or a race sponsor's towel.

I don't think it's a comment on Monster or anyone else. If I just finished several hours in a hot car, the last thing I'd want is another layer of insulation. Drivers have never liked having promo stuff put on them, their cars, etc.

They actually do a tremendous job of promoting Supercross. That's why I believed when this first happened that it would be very good for NASCAR, and that there was an actual plan for how to integrate the disparate cultures involved.
Apparently there either was no plan or it was a poor one.

A dog chasing a car. Now that I've caught it, what do I do with it?

All you. He kept the towel in one hand and beer in the other for quite some time.

Back
Top Bottom