Montoya out of EGR in 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Associated Press has learned Juan Pablo Montoya will not be back for an eighth NASCAR season with Chip Ganassi.

Ganassi President Steve Lauletta announced the decision to the team Tuesday, multiple people present for the announcement told AP on the condition of anonymity because Ganassi does not comment on driver contracts.

Montoya has been with Ganassi since 2006 when he abruptly left Formula One for NASCAR. It's his second stint with the car owner — the two teamed together to win the 1999 CART championship and 2000 Indianapolis 500 before Montoya moved to F1.

But results in NASCAR have been sporadic. Montoya has just two wins in 239 career starts and his best season finish was eighth in 2009.

from here

@SiriusXMNASCAR
Felix Sabates confirms they did not renew the contract with Juan Pablo Montoya for next year.

So, Larson should get a shot to show what he's got?
I think it's way too soon for that, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. EDIT: You beat me to it, Andy. LOL.

I'm mildly surprised and a little disappointed that Pablo is leaving EGR. Yeah, he only won twice in 239 starts, and they were both on road courses, but he's had some solid runs this year and could very well have won at least two races, Richmond and Dover. I had just read an article on ESPN (in fact, someone here may have linked to it) talking about how confident he and the team were feeling. I guess that wasn't really the case.

So, I wonder if he's done completely now? I don't know where he would go from here.

If Larson moves up, well, that'd be awful quick. Kyle Larson's the real deal but damn that might be too quick.
They don't want to loose Larson, they say they have him under an airtight contract, but there isn't a contract written that a good lawyer can get you out of. I look at it this way, 2 wins in 239 starts? Wouldn't take much to beat that even with a very green, but a very sharp wheel jockey.

I think it's way too soon for that, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. EDIT: You beat me to it, Andy. LOL.

I'm mildly surprised and a little disappointed that Pablo is leaving EGR. Yeah, he only won twice in 239 starts, and they were both on road courses, but he's had some solid runs this year and could very well have won at least two races, Richmond and Dover. I had just read an article on ESPN (in fact, someone here may have linked to it) talking about how confident he and the team were feeling. I guess that wasn't really the case.

So, I wonder if he's done completely now? I don't know where he would go from here.

That's a tough one. I'd imagine he'll have to bring a serious sponsor with him to get anything other than a NNS ride.

There are a lot of drivers in the equation. Kurt Busch, Ryan Newman, Mark Martin.
@nascarcasm

It all makes sense - Larson to #42, but being inexperienced, he'll share ride and be mentored by...OUT OF THAT ROCKING CHAIR, MARK MARTIN!

That's another scenario. I don't think Mark Martin left EGR on bad terms and it's not unusual for EGR to hire drivers who have previously left (McMurray). Mark almost won Daytona with them.

Last edited:
I'm shocked. Either Ganassi and Montoya had a falling out, Felix/Teresa wanted him gone, or they're having sponsor issues.

Maybe he'll come back to IndyCar. :D Though, he'll probably end up screwing around in NASCAR for JTG-Daugherty or some other crap third tier team. Guess I can't blame him, he'll probably make more money doing that.

If this is to move Larson up full-time to Cup I'll throw a fit. He just started racing stock cars last year...

They don't want to loose Larson, they say they have him under an airtight contract, but there isn't a contract written that a good lawyer can get you out of.

RCR going after Larson? Only team I can think of that he might pull a Kasey Kahne and jump to. I just don't see any other teams worth jumping too with open rides or will to expand.

He lasted more than I thought.

Now if you think Juan was a bonehead, just wait until he gets into really pathetic equipment and tries too hard. He'll be crashing other drivers twice as much as he is now.

Oh and there is no way Larson gets moved up this fast to Cup. Guy doesn't even have half a NNS season under his belt.

This would be career suicide.

I'm shocked. Either Ganassi and Montoya had a falling out, Felix/Teresa wanted him gone, or they're having sponsor issues.

Maybe he'll come back to IndyCar. :D Though, he'll probably end up screwing around in NASCAR for JTG-Daugherty or some other crap third tier team. Guess I can't blame him, he'll probably make more money doing that.
Probably. There really aren't any major openings available that he'd have a shot at. I'd also like to see him in IndyCar but there's obviously so much more $ in NASCAR.

We don't even know who walked away from the deal. Maybe Juan had a better deal and Gnassi couldn't match it. It's going to be an interesting weekend for sure. There's a bunch of drivers hanging on the vine right now.

I hope this has to do with Chip going after Newman or Busch and not about moving Larson up.

It'd be way to soon to move Kyle up. I think he's got a great career ahead of him but we've all seen the results lately of moving up to soon. I am surprised by this, but I've felt for the last couple seasons EGR needs to change their driver line up. They've changed every other thing except w/ no results to show for it.

RCR going after Larson? Only team I can think of that he might pull a Kasey Kahne and jump to. I just don't see any other teams worth jumping too with open rides or will to expand.
Huh? He is under contract with Ganassi, an airtight one, that is what Gannasi says anyway. I can almost guarantee Larson will get the nod. He can run mid pack all day long in cup, and finish as well as Montoya is doing with the potential of doing much better with a little experience.

The media has made Larson their latest darling and tout him as the next big thing. That's all Ganassi needs to know and watch him line up sponsors to cash in. Pretty simple, really.

The media has made Larson their latest darling and tout him as the next big thing. That's all Ganassi needs to know and watch him line up sponsors to cash in. Pretty simple, really.
I'm with you there, but I also thought Smith was a shoe in for the 14 ride, Hendrick to Hendrick. Amazing how much sponsor pull has. That is why they said Dillon was going to drive, they both have bass pro on the car.

I'm with you there, but I also thought Smith was a shoe in for the 14 ride, Hendrick to Hendrick. Amazing how much sponsor pull has. That is why they said Dillon was going to drive, they both have bass pro on the car.

For sure and don't think for a second that they don't know, or aren't made aware, of who gets the media attention.

IMO, Larson deserves it but ready for the big time or not, he'll be there if Ganassi can sell him.

yeah young Larson has a good story behind him. we'll see pretty quick I think who gets the 42. silly season is in full swing already.

@nascarcasm

It all makes sense - Larson to #42, but being inexperienced, he'll share ride and be mentored by...OUT OF THAT ROCKING CHAIR, MARK MARTIN!

That's actually not that bad of an idea. Let Mark run 26-28 races and Kyle can take the other 8-10. Gives Larson some experince without a lot of pressure because he would only be out there trying to learn as much as possible. Sounds like a win win for both sides.

Huh? He is under contract with Ganassi, an airtight one, that is what Gannasi says anyway. I can almost guarantee Larson will get the nod. He can run mid pack all day long in cup, and finish as well as Montoya is doing with the potential of doing much better with a little experience.

I know he is under contract. I was commenting on what you said about ganassi not wanting to lose Larson and good lawyer getting him out of his contract. The only team I could think that would try would be RCR.

Out with the old, in with the new.. Ganassi made the right move

Jet Dryer Drivers are breathing a sigh of relief right about now.

1003429_565185323524239_224622763_n.png

I'm not surprised by this at all, they've changed just about everything else. I think some have over estimated JPM's ability to bring in international fans and dollars. Is he an incredibly talented driver? No question about that, however his aggressive style cost his team a lot of wrecked race cars over the years and IMO he never really gained the respect of his peers which might have gotten him a little more room on the track.

I doubt they bring in Larson for next year though, Chip's no fool and I doubt he thinks he's ready now but who knows. Maybe they try and bring in Martin and Larson on part time deals?

Personally I think they should make a major play on Kurt Busch or Ryan Newman if they can't get KuBusch. That would instantly be an upgrade and I'd love to see what Busch could do with the EGR stuff, especially since they've got Hendrick power under the hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom