Montoya out of EGR in 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
He lasted more than I thought.

Now if you think Juan was a bonehead, just wait until he gets into really pathetic equipment and tries too hard. He'll be crashing other drivers twice as much as he is now.
That will be awesome. Think about how much more exciting the races will be when, at any given moment, he'll take out a few leaders while they're putting him a lap down. He'll be like the UFO in Asteroids.

Giving JPM's long association w/ Ganassi and the fact that they've been a lot more competitive as of late I'm surprised by this. Where will he go? I'm thinking a team like FAS Lane, TBR or Front Row, a team that would get good exposure by running up front at the 2 road courses each year.

Personally I think they should make a major play on Kurt Busch or Ryan Newman if they can't get KuBusch. That would instantly be an upgrade and I'd love to see what Busch could do with the EGR stuff, especially since they've got Hendrick power under the hood.
Agreed. I've been really impressed with Kurt this year after seeing him run with FRR (and Phoenix last year), but I gained a whole new respect for him after seeing that documentary about him, "The Outlaw," where he got to tell his side of the story. It was very enlightening.

To be honest, I kinda want him to stay at FRR and see if he can win a race or two with that group. I like him as an underdog.

Giving JPM's long association w/ Ganassi and the fact that they've been a lot more competitive as of late I'm surprised by this. Where will he go? I'm thinking a team like FAS Lane, TBR or Front Row, a team that would get good exposure by running up front at the 2 road courses each year.

Hello there.

An Alyssa Milano fan eh? Good taste. Welcome

man this sucks. Grown to really like Montoya. Nascar is a tough transition from Indy and F1 but Juan was respectable out there. I would hope he gets a decent ride to fall back on or maybe go back home and race F1 or something. He's a talented driver.

My reaction when I hopped on Jayski and saw the news:

upload_2013-8-13_17-2-34.jpeg

FUK YES FUK YES FUK YES WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAA YEAHHHHH YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

Karma finally came back to bite him in the wrecking ass. I cant wait to see him driving for Fas Lane. ITS GONNA BE FUKING AWESOME PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

I would take Larson if given the choice between him or Montoya in 2014. I think he's ready, and it will not be Logano 2.0.

The kid is good in everything he drives, he will be ok.

I'd say Montoya's probably done with NASCAR if this is true. I could see him going back to open wheel in some form.

I'm shocked it's Montoya rather than Jamie.
Me too. But I'm damn sure glad.

I would take Larson if given the choice between him or Montoya in 2014. I think he's ready, and it will not be Logano 2.0.

The kid is good in everything he drives, he will be ok.
Doubt he would do good, but he still would do better than Montoya.

man this sucks. Grown to really like Montoya. Nascar is a tough transition from Indy and F1 but Juan was respectable out there. I would hope he gets a decent ride to fall back on or maybe go back home and race F1 or something. He's a talented driver.

He's pretty old to return to F1. Crazier things have happened, but I'd say he has a much better chance of landing a quality ride in Cup than getting a seat in F1 next season. Careers are usually over in F1 by the time a driver hits mid-30s.

I think he'll end up getting a ride in Cup next year, the question will be whether its in a decent car or not. He's obviously a better driver than others in the field have.

I would be shocked if Larson isn't in the 42 car. here is why, montoya is a known quantity he could have won 2 races this season but didn't. further he has one fuel strategy win on at sonoma and another win at watkins glen thats it in 7 seasons. so if you are gnassasi you know what you got with montoya. now larson he is young, marketable, bi racial and isn't a known quantity. So at least there is a potential upside with larson vs no upside with montoya. lets take it a step further MONEY. larson can probably be put into the car with say a 2 millon base salary and a 45% winnings split. that is probably at least 2-3 million less than montoya is going to want. This is the same thinking roush had with putting stenhouse in the car, in that case stenhouse was even more of a savings than in this case. and lastly this could be sponsor related if you are target do you want juan or larson?? chip was standing there as if he was larson's body guard at the NW race this last weekend during prerace. just sayin.

He's pretty old to return to F1. Crazier things have happened, but I'd say he has a much better chance of landing a quality ride in Cup than getting a seat in F1 next season. Careers are usually over in F1 by the time a driver hits mid-30s.

I think he'll end up getting a ride in Cup next year, the question will be whether its in a decent car or not. He's obviously a better driver than others in the field have.

they're arent that many openings tho

Who knows, maybe Target finally told Chip to whip that 42 team into shape and get some heads rolling. Target sure has been a loyal supporter of Chip's racing efforts over the years.

Montoya out of the EGR 42 car for 2014, well I can't say that i'm too surprised. I was starting to feel as if he was driving on borrowed time anyway. In this business of racing, you know your only as good as your last top 5, top 10, win, or championship. With a big dollar sponsor like Target & an owner like Chip Gnassi, your only gonna be allowed sooo many mulligans before bogey's start piling up & next thing you know your out. Al Unser Jr was also a past championship driver & Indy 500 winner for Roger Penske but even he was fired from Team Penske after a few years of futility. If I were Jamie McMurray I would be thinking my job was also in jeapordy right about now & start driving like Mom's life depended on it. He was fortunate he didn't lose the Bass Pro sponsor this season. Montoya won't get another crack at a real quality NASCAR ride, I think IMO if he wants to continue racing, he should go back to the site of his best success which was in the IndyCars. I'm sure he could retain some of his greatness in that series...

target may have pulled plug on montoya.......not chip. young hip demo w/ larson.....which is their market. ?
an maybe larson season so far was enuff proof he's ready. ?

montoya did race analysis in booth durin nns glen race. broadcaster future ? ha! unlikely.
but maybe he-n-daugherty got deal workin ? 47 ran good on road course........w/ gas in it ! ha!
carlos slim's telmex as sponsor ?

I am thinking the Latino marketing angle, will generate the money for Montoya to be in 2014 cup car .

Interesting turn of events. Larson is the real deal but I think he needs a little more seat time in nationwide. That said, I would take him over the usual suspects like Newman ect.....

Montoya obviously has a sponsor angle as Nascar's most prominent spanish-speaking hispanic.
Nascar is desperate to have a bilingual hispanic star, in particular they want a Mexican or Mex-American star to market. The entire Nascar Mexico series can be seen as a huge investment to find and develop that. Montoya was mid-career when he switched over and he'll never be a top stock car driver.

But until Nascar finds a 22 year old Mexican star (and there are several showing promise), I expect they'll keep marketing Montoya.

I am a race fan, a fan of good hard racing. When I watch a race I focus on where the action is and over the years more often than not it centers on one or two drivers both of whom are well known for being the hardest drivers in Nascar to pass, the biggest pain in the asses of the other drivers and that is Newman and Montoya. Neither Newman nor Montoya is one of my favorites but my eyes gravitate to where they are racing more often than not because they will be stubbornly trying to keep somebody from getting around them or stubbornly trying to get around somebody. That is what racing is, you try and keep people behind you and pass people in front of you and that's why I'll miss Montoya and Newman whenever they do leave or if they wind up in third rate equipment where they cant race and just ride around. I wont miss some of the so called stars in top equipment that piss and moan and bitch about people racing them too hard when they leave.

He's got a moneybin full of cash, maybe he should start his own Cup program & hire Newman as his 2nd driver. Then he could bring in a new Latino sponsor from his home country. He's very popular in his homeland so I don't see any issue's getting a big sponsor or 2 or 3. Then he could partner up with Hendrick's engine pipeline for horsepower & he'd be in complete charge of what went on so hey maybe he'd actually be consistently competitive. I mean i'd like to believe that all that raw talent he had in open wheel Indy & F1 cars didn't just fizz out when he came to NASCAR...

I'm shocked it's Montoya rather than Jamie.

You're shocked? C'mon now.

If it came down between Jamie and Juan one can see and undersrand who would get the ax first.

Jamie has proven he can win on any given track and has in my opinion.

Juan can only trully excel at RC. Jamie is a more rounded driver than Montoya ever will be.

Either one of them could have been gone and it wouldn't have surprised me at all. I'd imagine that Jamie's days are numbered there as well.

Where have all these Latino sponsors been in the past ? Have they ever been on Montoya's car , or any other car ?

Where have all these Latino sponsors been in the past ? Have they ever been on Montoya's car , or any other car ?

I dont recall there ever been a spanish brand sponsoring a car in NASCAR. Could be wrong but I doubt it.

I dont think there is any money to be made in either direction to be honest.

Seriously?......You would rush this kid right to Cup after a steep learning curve in NW?
Add to his inexperience the fact that he would be at EGR, which isn't exactly top shelf equipment. I don't think it would bode well at all for Larson to move up to Cup just yet. I could see him having a very Stenhouse-esque rookie year next year if he does, maybe not even that good.

Add to his inexperience the fact that he would be at EGR, which isn't exactly top shelf equipment. I don't think it would bode well at all for Larson to move up to Cup just yet. I could see him having a very Stenhouse-esque rookie year next year if he does, maybe not even that good.

To be fair, Stenhouse's season is all Jack Roush's fault for giving him outdated equipment that wasn't even that good to begin with. (Carl Edwards 2012 chassis)

To be fair, Stenhouse's season is all Jack Roush's fault for giving him outdated equipment that wasn't even that good to begin with. (Carl Edwards 2012 chassis)
When exactly do they plan on putting him in 'good' equipment . I'm sure his sponsor would be interested to know . Do you think they pay less for outdated equipment ? I wonder ?

Looking at the chassis selections each week for the teams it seems that a lot of teams are running last years equipment. This info is posted every single week prior to the race.

Larson is young, but I think he'll be ok next yr in cup. JPM is 22nd in points, I think in his first yr he could hit that mark and then after that= the sky is the limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom