More Trouble

F

fastfordfan

Watkins Glen / Michigan lose Sprint Cup sponsor: Watkins Glen International is without a title sponsor for its NASCAR Sprint Cup event after Heluva Good! ended contract negotiations earlier this week. WGI President Michael Printup said last week he was optimistic the food manufacturer known largely for its sour cream dips would come back for its fourth year as the race's primary sponsor, but he learned Tuesday that Heluva Good! decided not to renew its contract. "We were a percent away from signing the deal and they turned around and walked away," Printup said Friday. "We loved Heluva Good! but of course every company takes changes of direction." With its Sprint Cup event seven months away, the news has left Watkins Glen's marketing team and its corporate owner, International Speedway Corp., a small window to find another headliner. "At this point, it's all hands on deck," said Printup, who expects to have a new sponsor in place within 90 days. Heluva Good! also decided not to return as sponsor of the Sprint Cup race at Michigan International Speedway, which is another ISC-owned track. Printup said Sprint Cup title sponsors generally provide tracks between $500,000 and $2,000,000.(Elmiria Star Gazette)(2-14-2012)

If a race sponsor doesn't buy ad time with the network covering the race, the sponsor only gets two mentions during the broadcast. Not a good return on the investment. That's why some sponsors are chosing not to remain.

Until Brian realized that he took the biggest sponsor block off the market for the cars that race on his tracks, by taking SPRINT with him.

Brian sold out 2 or 3 teams to get maximum bucks from sprint. If it weren't for the exclusive contract that locks out sponsors, I think AT&T, Verizon, Boost, T-Mobile, etc would be very strong sponsorship candidates. But Brian probably got an extra $15 million a year to screw the teams and line the family pockets.

Brian sold out 2 or 3 teams to get maximum bucks from sprint. If it weren't for the exclusive contract that locks out sponsors, I think AT&T, Verizon, Boost, T-Mobile, etc would be very strong sponsorship candidates. But Brian probably got an extra $15 million a year to screw the teams and line the family pockets.

Do you not believe that what is good for NASCAR is good for the owners? :(

Crap. What was I thinking? Sorry. :(

Here's a good example of how it worked back in the day

In the inaugural race at Talladega, a 69 Ford had its engine set back six inches to a foot from it's stock location for better weight distribution in clear violation of the rules. The set back required some pretty high handed modification to the firewall that should have been evident to even a casual observer. The car was allowed to race and finished ninth with Tiny Lund at the wheel. The car's owner? Bill France, who also owned the track and of course NASCAR. If you can't beat them, join them I suppose. Unless of course you're already them.

So since then, France's just don't race anymore, they just take the top tiered sponsor package and give us start and parks.

but the economy is booming, there should be sponsors line up for blocks:rolleyes:

Speaks more to me about the state of Nascar than it does the economy, numbers are down everywhere for Nascar.

Nascar is losing fans left and right.

Speaks more to me about the state of Nascar than it does the economy, numbers are down everywhere for Nascar.

Nascar is losing fans left and right.

What, the numbers were way up last year. To what end do you speak?

What, the numbers were way up last year. To what end do you speak?

http://www.jayski.com/pages/tvratings2011.htm

look at the numbers for the past 4 years, they were up some last year, but they still fell off from 2008, I dont have the numbers for the years previous, but Id love to see that.

Also, ISC has been cutting the amount of seats at tracks because they aren't selling.

http://www.scenedaily.com/news/arti...mber_of_seats_at_its_facilities_decrease.html

There was a time where i never missed a race, now, I might catch 5 or 6 races during the season.

I know a lot of people that are like me.

I honestly don't understand why Nascar tries to compete with the NFL late in the season, its a losing battle. Either cut the schedule to where it ends in early Sept, or move the races to Saturday night.

look at the numbers for the past 4 years, they were up some last year, but they still fell off from 2008, I dont have the numbers for the years previous, but Id love to see that.

Also, ISC has been cutting the amount of seats at tracks because they aren't selling.

http://www.scenedaily.com/news/arti...mber_of_seats_at_its_facilities_decrease.html

There was a time where i never missed a race, now, I might catch 5 or 6 races during the season.

I honestly don't understand why Nascar tries to compete with the NFL late in the season, its a losing battle. Either cut the schedule to where it ends in early Sept, or move the races to Saturday night.

the Chase is during football season and that went up last year by 14.8 percent. Honestly regions that Nascar markets too for the most part are more college fans then pro fans so putting it on Saturday night would make things worse and they can't have a night race at every track or every week. The NFL puts there better games on Sunday night anyways, so I don't see the competition and why that is always brought up.

The racing is better than ever. If you don't want to be a fan, don't watch.

the Chase is during football season and that went up last year by 14.8 percent. Honestly regions that Nascar markets too for the most part are more college fans then pro fans so putting it on Saturday night would make things worse and they can't have a night race at every track or every week. The NFL puts there better games on Sunday night anyways, so I don't see the competition and why that is always brought up.

There arent very many SEC games on Saturday night, maybe one or two a year, most of them are during the day. The same can be said for the ACC, and let's face it, ACC and SEC area is NASCAR area. So why not have these races at night? I'd watch, it'd give me something to do. Heck I can probably drink more beers Saturday night then I can Sunday afternoon.

As an NFL fan, I put my butt on the couch and usually watch the Panthers at 1pm (keep in mind this is the "home market" for Nascar, and there are probably more people in the home area watching Panthers football than Nascar), followed by the 430 game, and then followed by the 830 game.

The Super Bowl was watched by over 100 million people this year, meanwhile the finale chase race was watched by 7 million. It just doesn't make sense to compete against the NFL, it's a horrible business move.

The racing is better than ever. If you don't want to be a fan, don't watch.

I watch a lot less than I used too. IMO Nascar shot themselves in the foot by going to the Chase format.

There arent very many SEC games on Saturday night, maybe one or two a year, most of them are during the day. The same can be said for the ACC, and let's face it, ACC and SEC area is NASCAR area. So why not have these races at night? I'd watch, it'd give me something to do. Heck I can probably drink more beers Saturday night then I can Sunday afternoon.

As an NFL fan, I put my butt on the couch and usually watch the Panthers at 1pm (keep in mind this is the "home market" for Nascar, and there are probably more people in the home area watching Panthers football than Nascar), followed by the 430 game, and then followed by the 830 game.

The Super Bowl was watched by over 100 million people this year, meanwhile the finale chase race was watched by 7 million. It just doesn't make sense to compete against the NFL, it's a horrible business move.

The NFL gets its ratings from gambling too, 100 million people watch the super bowl and probably 95 million have money riding on it. I don't think more people in NC watch Panthers games over Nascar.

I watch a lot less than I used too. IMO Nascar shot themselves in the foot by going to the Chase format.
You must of not watched much Nascar, cause the Chase was awesome last year. You would rather had Harvicks points racing the last ten races and running away with the championship, then what happened in the chase?

The NFL gets its ratings from gambling too, 100 million people watch the super bowl and probably 95 million have money riding on it. I don't think more people in NC watch Panthers games over Nascar.

I bet they do in the Charlotte market....

You must of not watched much Nascar, cause the Chase was awesome last year. You would rather had Harvicks points racing the last ten races and running away with the championship, then what happened in the chase?

You're right I didnt watch it, I was watching football. Like a lot of other people were.

Id rather see a champion that was better over the entire season win.

You're right I didnt watch it, I was watching football. Like a lot of other people were.

So the Giants win the Superbowl at 9-7, you are saying you didn't want an NFL playoff and had the Packers and Patriots go straight to the super bowl, cause they were the #1 seeds.

Stop trying to make us feel like we don't deserve to run nascar in the fall dude, you are a fan of football only, go watch some replays.

What the hell?

Where in the business world does it make sense to compete for viewers against the NFL? I personally think Nascar would gain more views by holding the races at different times.

How does that equate to me telling you that you dont "deserve" nascar in the fall...geez.

Great, go watch some more football and stop trying to rain on our parade. It's the Daytona 500 dude, and you think you are going to change the world by trying to bash nascar here? Screw off.

What the hell?

Where in the business world does it make sense to compete for viewers against the NFL? I personally think Nascar would gain more views by holding the races at different times.

maybe you should call brian, and tell him you can increase his profit with your uber wisdom.

Great, go watch some more football and stop trying to rain on our parade. It's the Daytona 500 dude, and you think you are going to change the world by trying to bash nascar here? Screw off.

Wow, this is just stupid...I'm not bashing anything, the thread is entiled "more trouble" and is about sponsers leaving two tracks. I stated my opinion as to why thats happening and you tell me to Screw off?

You're a ****** piece of ****.

Wow, this is just stupid...I'm not bashing anything, the thread is entiled "more trouble" and is about sponsers leaving two tracks. I stated my opinion as to why thats happening and you tell me to Screw off?

You're a ******* piece of ****.

you said it, congrats.

If you think showing races during the NFL is a bad move? Then why don't you supply your own nascar plan for maximum profit and for the fan experience.

Answer me this, why is the Bristol night race one of the best races of the year?

Answer me this, why is the Bristol night race one of the best races of the year?

I don't think it is. That's your opinion. I would rather a M-VILLE race at anytime.

Maybe you mean, why doesn't nascar run more night races. And the answer is, they don't because it would interfere with local tracks running their night races. Plus they just make more money stretching the weekend into sunday.

Back
Top Bottom