Morgan Shepherd - Too old to be behind the wheel of a Cup car?

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
They've been talking about this for a while today on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio. 72 yo Morgan Shepherd is going to be behind the wheel of the #33 this weekend. When's enough enough? Why can't they put someone behind the wheel that is trying to work their way into this sport as a driver? Sure, Morgan Shepherd can still drive in circles but there are plenty of others that can too. They'll get their money's worth for the sponsor, I guess. At the same time it kinda makes our NASCAR Drivers Are Athletes argument a little harder to convey. Morgan, I think it's time to retire.

Paul Newman ran into an age problem at the 24 Hours at Daytona. I don't know how old he was (older than Morgan) but they weren't going to let him race. I think they relented and let him run. It was Newman's wife who made the decision to end his racing carrier.

as long as he's not putting anyone's life in danger, how can you not allow him to do what he loves. just imagine yourself being told you can no longer do what you love, and what you have done your whole life because of a number. but until he becomes a risk on the track, i have no problem with it. we may not agree with whom an owner has as their driver, but it their right to put in whoever they want.

On the down side, as we age our reflexes get slower and our bodies are more fragile which is kinda bad for a race car driver.

Hay, if ya got the money, ability, vehicle and are within the rules, have at it.
as long as he's not putting anyone's life in danger, how can you not allow him to do what he loves. just imagine yourself being told you can no longer do what you love, and what you have done your whole life because of a number. but until he becomes a risk on the track, i have no problem with it. we may not agree with whom an owner has as their driver, but it their right to put in whoever they want.
This.

Yes, obviously from a purely competitive standpoint, Morgan should have retired ages ago. But if he wants to race, an owner is willing to let him drive their car, and he's not a danger to anyone else on the track, let him race. Like it or not, it's the owner's money and theirs and the driver's decision, not ours.

This looks like an age discrimination thread to me. I just hope when I'm that age that I can still see well enough to drive my own personal vehicle.:einstein:

They have electronic timing devices, so as long he can make the field and meet the minimum speed requirements more power to him.

As long he can do that I dont care if he is 172 years old.

He chased down that thief in Vegas a few years ago so I assume he's still in pretty good shape (probably in better shape than Stewart). It's not like the Circle Sport #33 is some dream drive either. It'd probably be a dead end for a young driver, if anything. He's run in the Nationwide Series a good amount the last few years and I don't remember him doing anything stupid.

off the top of my head, rollerskating down pit road is the only time i can think of him loosing it.

They've been talking about this for a while today on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio. 72 yo Morgan Shepherd is going to be behind the wheel of the #33 this weekend. When's enough enough? Why can't they put someone behind the wheel that is trying to work their way into this sport as a driver? Sure, Morgan Shepherd can still drive in circles but there are plenty of others that can too. They'll get their money's worth for the sponsor, I guess. At the same time it kinda makes our NASCAR Drivers Are Athletes argument a little harder to convey. Morgan, I think it's time to retire.

Exactly. It's embarrassing. It's terrible for Nascar's image. It destroys the "Drivers are Athletes" argument. 70 year olds can't even play golf competitively.

Exactly. It's embarrassing. It's terrible for Nascar's image. It destroys the "Drivers are Athletes" argument. 70 year olds can't even play golf competitively.

Call me crazy but I don't see Morgan being very competitive. He'll very likely start and park.

If 70+ year olds can drive in NASCAR though, I'd like to see Richard Petty make good on his bet that he could beat Danica Patrick in a race.

i'm sure if he's a hazard, the other drivers would be vocal about it. if a 72 year old man is what's hurting Nascar's image,or is enough to keep fans away, then we'll be alright. myself i'm amazed.

Didn't James Hylton race into his late 70's? I believe he started a NW race at age 76 a few years ago.
wasn't he in Arca some last year, before retiring at 79

I might have a problem with it if they were on a plate race. There he could cause a big problem. I highly doubt he's still on the track by lap 30 anyway so.....

I don't have a problem with it. Its not the fact of just racing, but this man the reason why I respect Morgan so much is that he has a small team of rag tag mechanics and himself. Many drivers maybe out with the media, but he still works on his cars himself. Its not often we see guys still in the garage working themselves, I have no issue with it. Yeah, he's 72. Some gentleman on the forums maybe near that age, hell he's in better shape than most teenagers. If, people are really this worried. Have him take a test for his reactions and if he passes, let him race. If not, start and park.

I'd say until he thinks he can no longer do it, thats when a decision can be made. I wish him luck and honestly, I'd say shame on a lot of you for thinking so.

No one stopped Mario who was in his 60s' when he retired, no one stopped Fangio near his fifties. Richard Petty was near his sixties, but a man who has not really had the greatest of opportunities with small organizations is wrong for starting his own small team and ostracized for old age?

I wanna say it depends on the track, but then I remember he's 72.

Yup.
You're right, dpk.
Hang 'em up.
Racing gloves, that is.

Paul Newman ran into an age problem at the 24 Hours at Daytona. I don't know how old he was (older than Morgan) but they weren't going to let him race. I think they relented and let him run. It was Newman's wife who made the decision to end his racing carrier.
Newman was 83 his last race. And he had a good finish in that race.

I wanna say it depends on the track, but then I remember he's 72.

Yup.
You're right, dpk.
Hang 'em up.
Racing gloves, that is.
It would be great for some young driver to get a chance to gain some experience in that car rather than to have someone try to live out their glory years. I'm sure that he's one of the nicest guys in the garage but that doesn't mean anything.

The athletic image means nothing to me, good grief Joey Chestnutt is probably more fit than Tony Stewart. I even remember Tonys in car camera showing him running down a long Indy straight while driving one handed on his way to winning the event.

Note I said the athletic image. I do believe fitness is important and smart owners should demand it from their drivers. The elite drivers typically are in excellent physical condition, and no doubt have better reflexes than a 70 y/o.

Bur racing is probably more technical than physical. It also is an art with an infinite set of intangibles, natural instincts is a must. Some people were not born with it and would never suceed, regardless of their "athletic" superiority.

Being in shape helps you apply the knowledge and be at your sharpest or on your A game.
But it is not as critical as it would be in most stick and ball sports, and I am not concerned about an image or wowing the ESPN crowd.

For all we know, Morgan might be racing to live. Morgan Shepherd has given freely to those less fortunate than himself and here is a case where, quite possibly, Morgans' income from his racing efforts are used to sustain himself financially. There was a time, when Morgan was making decent money as a driver, he loaded his Foretravel motorhome with gifts and food for impoverished people living in poor and remote areas of NC and VA. He did this on his dime. Morgan is a very strong christian and he puts his money where his heart is.
Does this justify why he continues to race? No, not really. But it does give us pause to rethink why he does what he does and my guess is, Morgan still gives to those less fortunate than himself and as long as he causes no harm to others on the track, is able to adhere to NASCAR rules, qualifies, and races, what does it matter what others think about using him as an example of "racing not being a sport" in order to create a controversy to increase listeners or viewers,, or, any other reason one might consider based on his age.

He's too old to be behind the wheel of a passenger car.
I'm 70. I've gained some weight and slowed down a little but like TRL I still work hard and play hard. Damn youngins don't know snot. :p

The coolest thing about Morgan is that he doesn't give **** one about what anyone thinks, and staying true to his faith, he lets us all know in the kindest and gentlest of ways. I trust Morgan more than several younger drivers who suck.

Back
Top Bottom