NASCAR CEO BRIAN FRANCE BUSTED FOR DUI & OXYCODONE

One manufacturer that I know of has been directly involved, and has taken a load of **** for it. This is a good article, but misinformed in this area. Ford has figured it out, and is getting there, and Chevy is just starting out. Note that the author says that the way things have always been done is no longer okay. Interesting. At the very least, this article validates what some of us (me) have been very slow to accept....this sport is in trouble. What a ****** shame.

I have an immediate family member that has been addicted to Opioids. It is brutal to live with. . . . Addiction is awful. It destroys more than just the addicts life. . . . . It's easy to label someone a "drunk" or a "doper, pill head" or whatever. The bottom line is they have a serious, life threatening problem. . . . . I hope Brian can conquer his demons. Addiction ruins lives, rich and poor alike, and everything in between.

Letting Brian continue to represent Nascar and waiting until the wheels fall off was a stupid move by the family. Enabling him to do the damage he has done? . . . . He should have been gone from the Nascar business scene years ago.

. . . . you touched on a hard topic of the families of addicts, Enabling. That's the worst thing for an addict. They should have gotten on top of this when it was first known that he had a problem. But, you cannot fix an addict. Best thing for them is to let them hit rock bottom. I hope Brian is there. There is only one way to go then. He has a long, hard road ahead of him.

I feel similarly frustrated at the enabling behavior that went on for so long. Unfortunately this a common pattern that develops around addicts, especially addicts in power. Nobody feels empowered to confront them until disaster strikes such as this. Then it ends very quickly. . .

Obviously none of us know for sure if, over time, the France family has tried to intervene on behalf of Brian France or have they just continued to enable his destructive behavior.

And I agree with what @mack posted, often times the only thing that will cause an addict to turn it around is to hit rock bottom. Here's hoping that Brian is there.

And yes, the ruddy faced grandson of a racing pioneer should divorce himself from all things NASCAR, now and forever.

What I don't get is: With all his money why doesn't Brian France have a limo and chauffeur? Then he can be as drunk & drugged out as he wants.

what you don't get is that there is hardly a minute where alcohol or opiates aren't in his system. What appears normal to him isn't even close to a non addict. The liver, a healthy liver, can only process an ounce of alcohol an hour. It stuffs it wherever it can with the largest area being the skin. This is why you would see Brian sweating bullets when nobody else is sweating.

One manufacturer that I know of has been directly involved, and has taken a load of sh!t for it. This is a good article, but misinformed in this area. Ford has figured it out, and is getting there, and Chevy is just starting out. Note that the author says that the way things have always been done is no longer okay. Interesting. At the very least, this article validates what some of us (me) have been very slow to accept....this sport is in trouble. What a ******* shame.

I've read DeLorenzo off and on over the years, and he makes some good points, but he's also been saying the same thing for years. He's more a Detroit auto industry insider than anything.

I'm sure what he says about the good ole boy relationship between NASCAR and Ford/Chevy is true, just as it is between NASCAR and Goodyear or the FIA and Ferrari or the FIA and Pirelli or the ACO and every French racing outfit imaginable. If Chevy ever contemplated pulling out of NASCAR, that would hurt their bottom line.

Really the manufacturers don't even have to pull out to reduce their expenditures in a big way.

what you don't get is that there is hardly a minute where alcohol or opiates aren't in his system. What appears normal to him isn't even close to a non addict. The liver, a healthy liver, can only process an ounce of alcohol an hour. It stuffs it wherever it can with the largest area being the skin. This is why you would see Brian sweating bullets when nobody else is sweating.

So anyways, whiskey anyone?

Last time I looked Pockrass's paycheck was writing for ESPN sports. You might have better luck criticizing what is written on the Nascar web site (not to mention the clunky web pages)

No, as the NASCAR website is supposed to be fan boy, feel good, propaganda. Bob, like the rest of his colleagues except for Jeff Gluck, seem more interested in being NASCAR's lap dogs than providing balanced reporting on the sport. Publishing an opinion based hit piece on Brian France roughly a day after everything was made public is a day late and a dollar short.

No, as the NASCAR website is supposed to be fan boy, feel good, propaganda. Bob, like the rest of his colleagues except for Jeff Gluck, seem more interested in being NASCAR's lap dogs than providing balanced reporting on the sport. Publishing an opinion based hit piece on Brian France roughly a day after everything was made public is a day late and a dollar short.

there is a difference between breaking news and an editorial style piece of journalism.

This whole sordid ordeal is just plain sad. Brian France has failed. He's still a human being. I am convinced opioids alter thought processes and reasoning. His clearly are not normal. Why do some people in life, who seem to have everything, throw it all away? What makes people self destructive? Look no further than Elvis Presley. Why did he destroy his life? I've attended family counseling sessions for addictions. If you've never dealt with an addict, I am happy for you. Whatever their addiction is, changes them for the worse. Most addicts don't stay on drugs because they just want to, most of them can't beat it. Who on this forum knows how many times Brian may have been to a rehab facility? Detoxed? Counseled? We don't know. I will tell all of you one thing I do know, piling on and calling him names doesn't help the guy at all. Maybe it makes the one doing the name calling and ridiculing feel superior, I don't know. And he is an easy target. Born wealthy, never had to work, whatever. He's not Hitler or Hussien. He's and addict, that's seriously messed up. I'm thinking there are people who would have been happy had he crashed his car and killed himself. Sad indeed.

This whole sordid ordeal is just plain sad. Brian France has failed. He's still a human being. I am convinced opioids alter thought processes and reasoning. His clearly are not normal. Why do some people in life, who seem to have everything, throw it all away? What makes people self destructive? Look no further than Elvis Presley. Why did he destroy his life? I've attended family counseling sessions for addictions. If you've never dealt with an addict, I am happy for you. Whatever their addiction is, changes them for the worse. Most addicts don't stay on drugs because they just want to, most of them can't beat it. Who on this forum knows how many times Brian may have been to a rehab facility? Detoxed? Counseled? We don't know. I will tell all of you one thing I do know, piling on and calling him names doesn't help the guy at all. Maybe it makes the one doing the name calling and ridiculing feel superior, I don't know. And he is an easy target. Born wealthy, never had to work, whatever. He's not Hitler or Hussien. He's and addict, that's seriously messed up. I'm thinking there are people who would have been happy had he crashed his car and killed himself. Sad indeed.

Brian France has no idea we exist, and if he did, he’s the type that wouldn’t care. Yes he’s a human but the reason he’s being attacked by race fans isn’t because his attackers are insecure, it’s because he’s the dude that’s implemented all NASCAR’s BS over the last 15-20 years(or atleast pretended to be as the figurehead) and has arguably accelerated the decline in popular culture, even though he couldn’t give two ****s less about the sport than he actually does to begin with. Nevermind the fact the guy is just an a**hole.. Who in the sport has actually ever said anything positive about him?

I’ve had family addicted to drugs. I’ve lost friends to drugs. I’ve had friends who lost their life to drugs. It’s not a laughing matter, you’re right. But **** this guy, in particular.

Young Master France’s grotesquely bloated sense of entitlement was on full display during his arrest.

He ran a stop sign, blew twice the legal limit, spit up a bottle of Oxy and failed his physical sobriety tests miserably. While all of this was going on, he demanded to know if the arresting officers “Knew who he was” and name-dropped Trump, among others. Loathsome man ... always looks like he needs a shower.

The sanctioning body can only benefit from his permanent absence.

Young Master France’s grotesquely bloated sense of entitlement was on full display during his arrest.

He ran a stop sign, blew twice the legal limit, spit up a bottle of Oxy and failed his physical sobriety tests miserably. While all of this was going on, he demanded to know if the arresting officers “Knew who he was” and name-dropped Trump, among others. Loathsome man ... always looks like he needs a shower.

I was gonna mention the name-dropping in my little rant lol. Such a pompous ass.

Preface: First of all thanks for posting something that obviously struck a nerve, or provoked a lot of thought from me.
This is a long post and maybe hard to read. But, I killed a good hour at least when writing it and I am to invested to trim it down.

I have someone in my family that is an addict. I could write concisely and still fill pages about all of the things I have done to try and stop him.
I have seen the horrors, the weeks in ICU, some of it with wrist and ankle ties to contain him during his hallucinations.
I have played the devil and the angel to try to be the agent that would change him. There is no pride in those efforts, because I do have flaws and regrets about how I handled some things.

But something died in my teenage brother when the qualudes took him in him the late 70s. It has been an awful movie of self destruction that is still playing. It makes me mad as hell and sad, and I tried to help him to recover, God knows I have.
Some of methods included maneuvers I made to guarantee he would not have access or any exposure to the drugs. I believed that if I have could sanatize his world for six months (and I did) , that he would find his soul and reject all of the ramifications. But it only led to more disappointment, in the end he was back on the **** ASAP.
Now, I just hope his addiction
doesn't kill anyone other than himself. It will be a sad day when the finality is complete and obvious. I will be heartbroken to see his heartbreak if he hurts someone else and has to live that nightmare.

In some regards these people are victims as you described them.
But most addicts I have have met are liars they abuse the trust they are given. They will take all the of the prescriptions written to another family member that is sick. It could be script for a sick mother or a needy child, it does not matter getting the next fix prevails above all else.
If that does not work they might even go to a pay day lender and mortgage out next weeks resources, regardless of their responsibilities for a child.
I remember taking a young woman to a rehab clinic years ago. She was going there because she had recently given birth to crack addicted baby. She wanted me to advise and coach her on how to regain custody. I told her absolutely not, there is no way I could justify exposing a child to anymore of that type of Hell.

They can go to rehab and detox get cleaned out, and be given time to reflect on how hurtful the addiction was to them and the people they love. That should be a big enough repellant.
The next time they starting consuming the ****, I have no mercy. They are not only selling their own soul, they are choosing the fix over the welfare of every one in their family.

Brian France's tenure as Nascar's CEO was a degradation that was allowed for years. He systemically deconstructed Nascar and his inner circle did not stop the abuse.
No sympathy and a lot of ridicule here for his low life choices and enablers. It granted permission to mess us the almost perfect. It allowed him to mess with something that was the passion of many.
So yes, it is a high five moment. The rabid idiot has finally exceeded his almost infinite boundaries of unworthy permissions. I only wished it would have happened sooner, the tragedy would have had less chapters.
Glad to see the sorry low life go, and I do hope the door does more than hit him in the ass when he leaves.

Forgiveness and compassion for me happens once he offers some real genuine honesty. Which would include admitting he entire tenure as CEO was detrimental to Nascar and to spell it clearly enough to ensure that legacy will live in infamy through the ages.
He deserves to be disgraced.
If he were to do that I would have some compassion and be willingly to take the shirt off my back to help if needed. Otherwise he will always be a parasite unworthy of any respect and trust.
And he should have resigned as CEO on Monday, that should have been a non-negotiatable.

Note: I realize some things or popularity were going to decline, generations change and a mechanical world evolves toward the electronic world.
I would not expect anyone to sustain the booming 90' and early 00's in terms of popularity.
A lot of today's racing landscape belongs to Bill France Jr as well, the internet just was not around then to express some growing concerns.

Brian France just didn't strike me as someone with any comprehension or appreciation for good racing, while also implementing radical changes.
He was an outsider with a bag full of gimmicks, degradation deceives his tenure best to me.

Preface: First of all thanks for posting something that obviously struck a nerve, or provoked a lot of thought from me.
This is a long post and maybe hard to read. But, I killed a good hour at least when writing it and I am to invested to trim it down.

I have someone in my family that is an addict. I could write concisely and still fill pages about all of the things I have done to try and stop him.
I have seen the horrors, the weeks in ICU, some of it with wrist and ankle ties to contain him during his hallucinations.
I have played the devil and the angel to try to be the agent that would change him. There is no pride in those efforts, because I do have flaws and regrets about how I handled some things.

But something died in my teenage brother when the qualudes took him in him the late 70s. It has been an awful movie of self destruction that is still playing. It makes me mad as hell and sad, and I tried to help him to recover, God knows I have.
Some of methods included maneuvers I made to guarantee he would not have access or any exposure to the drugs. I believed that if I have could sanatize his world for six months (and I did) , that he would find his soul and reject all of the ramifications. But it only led to more disappointment, in the end he was back on the sh!t ASAP.
Now, I just hope his addiction
doesn't kill anyone other than himself. It will be a sad day when the finality is complete and obvious. I will be heartbroken to see his heartbreak if he hurts someone else and has to live that nightmare.

In some regards these people are victims as you described them.
But most addicts I have have met are liars they abuse the trust they are given. They will take all the of the prescriptions written to another family member that is sick. It could be script for a sick mother or a needy child, it does not matter getting the next fix prevails above all else.
If that does not work they might even go to a pay day lender and mortgage out next weeks resources, regardless of their responsibilities for a child.
I remember taking a young woman to a rehab clinic years ago. She was going there because she had recently given birth to crack addicted baby. She wanted me to advise and coach her on how to regain custody. I told her absolutely not, there is no way I could justify exposing a child to anymore of that type of Hell.

They can go to rehab and detox get cleaned out, and be given time to reflect on how hurtful the addiction was to them and the people they love. That should be a big enough repellant.
The next time they starting consuming the sh!t, I have no mercy. They are not only selling their own soul, they are choosing the fix over the welfare of every one in their family.

Brian France's tenure as Nascar's CEO was a degradation that was allowed for years. He systemically deconstructed Nascar and his inner circle did not stop the abuse.
No sympathy and a lot of ridicule here for his low life choices and enablers. It granted permission to mess us the almost perfect. It allowed him to mess with something that was the passion of many.
So yes, it is a high five moment. The rabid idiot has finally exceeded his almost infinite boundaries of unworthy permissions. I only wished it would have happened sooner, the tragedy would have had less chapters.
Glad to see the sorry low life go, and I do hope the door does more than hit him in the ass when he leaves.

Forgiveness and compassion for me happens once he offers some real genuine honesty. Which would include admitting he entire tenure as CEO was detrimental to Nascar and to spell it clearly enough to ensure that legacy will live in infamy through the ages.
He deserves to be disgraced.
If he were to do that I would have some compassion and be willingly to take the shirt off my back to help if needed. Otherwise he will always be a parasite unworthy of any respect and trust.
And he should have resigned as CEO on Monday, that should have been a non-negotiatable.

Note: I realize some things or popularity were going to decline, generations change and a mechanical world evolves toward the electronic world.
I would not expect anyone to sustain the booming 90' and early 00's in terms of popularity.
A lot of today's racing landscape belongs to Bill France Jr as well, the internet just was not around then to express some growing concerns.

Brian France just didn't strike me as someone with any comprehension or appreciation for good racing, while also implementing radical changes.
He was an outsider with a bag full of gimmicks, degradation deceives his tenure best to me.

Excellent post. There is not a lie an addict won't tell, nor anything they won't steal. And it matters not the value of what they steal, monetary or sentimental. What matters is the next pill. I would advise anyone reading this thread to do a little research on death by opioid overdoses annually. It is staggering. The doctors know it, the politicians know it. big pharma knows it, law enforcement and the judicial system are aware as well. Who is doing anything to stop it? There is never a shortage of pills to be had. And I promise anyone reading this, if you ever deal with an addict, your patience will run out. Remember the phrase " tough love". You will eventually tire of suffering their consequences. I hope everyone around Brian cuts him lose. Let him figure out whether or not he wants to live. Unstopped, this isn't going to end well. There are times when I feel sorry for an addict, it breaks my heart to watch them ruin their life. There are times when I really wish they would just go away, far, far away. Stay gone until they make their mind up to get straight and stay straight. I wish for Brian what I wish for all addicts, sobriety. NASCAR will be just fine without him, probably even better. He's still a human being, thankfully he hasnt killed or physically harmed others because of his choices. Maybe the reality of where he's at will set in. And, he may not care. One of the counselors we met told us something that has proven to be very true. The first thing an addict loses is their conscience. They do not care what they do to others. Given Brians wealth and priviledge, him finding humility with a desire to live, may be a tall order. It's up to him. Sober people cannot fix addicts. Locking them up is the best thing for them. You can spend whatever you want on rehab and such. It's a complete waste until they decide to get sober.

Last edited:
Who on this forum knows how many times Brian may have been to a rehab facility? Detoxed? Counseled? We don't know.
No, we don't, but if he has then someone was glossing over it by leaving him in an executive position. It's a lot easier to be sympathetic when the guy admits he has a problem and steps aside BEFORE he's busted, especially if he's financially independent and can afford to not work.

Excellent post. There is not a lie an addict won't tell, nor anything they won't steal. And it matters not the value of what they steal, monetary or sentimental. What matters is the next pill. I would advise anyone reading this thread to do a little research on death by opioid overdoses annually. It is staggering. The doctors know it, the politicians know it. big pharma knows it, law enforcement and the judicial system are aware as well. Who is doing anything to stop it? There is never a shortage of pills to be had. And I promise anyone reading this, if you ever deal with an addict, your patience will run out. Remember the phrase " tough love". You will eventually tire of suffering their consequences. I hope everyone around Brian cuts him lose. Let him figure out whether or not he wants to live. Unstopped, this isn't going to end well. There are times when I feel sorry for an addict, it breaks my heart to watch them ruin their life. There are times when I really wish they would just go away, far, far away. Stay gone until they make their mind up to get straight and stay straight. I wish for Brian what I wish for all addicts, sobriety. NASCAR will be just fine without him, probably even better. He's still a human being, thankfully he hasnt killed or physically harmed others because of his choices. Maybe the reality of where he's at will set in. And, he may not care. One of the counselors we met told us something that has proven to be very true. The first thing an addict loses is their conscience. They do not care what they do to others. Given Brians wealth and priviledge, him finding humility with a desire to live, may be a tall order. It's up to him. Sober people cannot fix addicts. Locking them up is the best thing for them. You can spend whatever you want on rehab and such. It's a complete waste until they decide to get sober.

And once again, at the risk of being called a fuddy-duddy and a joy kill, my advice to EVERYONE is the best way to prevent this stuff from happening is to avoid the attraction of these substances in the first place, and that includes alcohol and pot. Don't let these substances gain control over you, and be ESPECIALLY wary if you have an addictive personality. One of the reasons I never tried cigarettes is because I realized even at a young age that I would be the kind of person that would likely turn into a three pack a day smoker. Same thing with pot. The easiest path was just to completely avoid it in the first place. I can't imagine any part of my life that would have been improved by getting high from time to time. If you really think you need to get drunk or high to have fun or deal with your problems, you seriously need to re-examine your life. I did that with alcohol and decided I just didn't need it and didn't want to deal with it. If you have a valid need to take strong prescription drugs, try to take as little as possible and get off of it as fast as you can. On the handful of occasions I have been prescribed pain killers, I was always off them in a day or two if I used them at all. I cut my allergy pills into halves and fourths instead of taking full doses, and I always take one aspirin at a time to see if one will do the trick. My dad got addicted to Excedrin once, and had to go cold turkey on them to kick it.

And once again, at the risk of being called a fuddy-duddy and a joy kill, my advice to EVERYONE is the best way to prevent this stuff from happening is to avoid the attraction of these substances in the first place, and that includes alcohol and pot. Don't let these substances gain control over you, and be ESPECIALLY wary if you have an addictive personality. One of the reasons I never tried cigarettes is because I realized even at a young age that I would be the kind of person that would likely turn into a three pack a day smoker. Same thing with pot. The easiest path was just to completely avoid it in the first place. I can't imagine any part of my life that would have been improved by getting high from time to time. If you really think you need to get drunk or high to have fun or deal with your problems, you seriously need to re-examine your life. I did that with alcohol and decided I just didn't need it and didn't want to deal with it. If you have a valid need to take strong prescription drugs, try to take as little as possible and get off of it as fast as you can. On the handful of occasions I have been prescribed pain killers, I was always off them in a day or two if I used them at all. I cut my allergy pills into halves and fourths instead of taking full doses, and I always take one aspirin at a time to see if one will do the trick. My dad got addicted to Excedrin once, and had to go cold turkey on them to kick it.

In the case of my family member, they were prescribed 24 Loracet 10s for the most minor of a surgery. There is a percentage of the population that are perfect candidates for opioid addiction. It's like a counselor told us. Ten 15 year olds go to a party, they all want to fit in, so they will try a pill. 2 of that 10 will have a different reaction. They will crave it again within 48 hours. And depending on where they're at in life, it may become an easy way to deal with life. My oldest graduated in 2011 from a small rural school. Five of his classmates have been buried. I an dead serious with all of you. Study up on opioid addictions. Its eye opening.

I'm a firm believer in the value of life saving drugs, but I think they are over prescribed and there is too much of a mentality to "treat" every problem with a pill instead of actually dealing with the source of the problem. The thought of giving large pain medication prescriptions to someone with a relatively minor issue just baffles me. I think we have all been conditioned to believe that we should be 100% pain free 100% of the time. I know it's hard, but I think we all have to try harder to instill in kids the value of making your own decisions and avoiding the group mentality. I was able to avoid all of that, including smoking, because I just wasn't interested, and realized the pitfalls. With alcohol, I did that, and it was my own free will to do it and their was no peer pressure involved. It took me a few years to realize that that wasn't a great move. Luckily, I never hurt myself or someone else, but there were some close calls.

In the case of my family member, they were prescribed 24 Loracet 10s for the most minor of a surgery. There is a percentage of the population that are perfect candidates for opioid addiction. It's like a counselor told us. Ten 15 year olds go to a party, they all want to fit in, so they will try a pill. 2 of that 10 will have a different reaction. They will crave it again within 48 hours. And depending on where they're at in life, it may become an easy way to deal with life. My oldest graduated in 2011 from a small rural school. Five of his classmates have been buried. I an dead serious with all of you. Study up on opioid addictions. Its eye opening.

Yup. The pharmaceutical companies carry the blame as well

While I agree completely with Aunty's sentiments, and I too read the initial report on TMZ that lead to the bolded portions of the quote, I also feel the following should be posted in the interest of accuracy and fairness...

http://www.news-journalonline.com/s...ood-alcohol-level-more-than-twice-legal-limit

"Contrary to earlier reports about the arrest, Sag Harbor chief of police Austin J. McGuire said France was yielding with all of the officer’s commands and requests and made no mention of connections to President Donald Trump after being stopped in his 2017 Lexus with New York plates.

“He was very compliant and the only time he ever mentioned NASCAR, as part of our arrest processing, we ask people where they are employed, and he said ‘NASCAR,’” McGuire said.

“The arresting officer had no idea who he was or anything. The arresting officer said Mr. France was completely compliant and a gentleman.”

While I agree completely with Aunty's sentiments, and I too read the initial report on TMZ that lead to the bolded portions of the quote, I also feel the following should be posted in the interest of accuracy and fairness...

http://www.news-journalonline.com/s...ood-alcohol-level-more-than-twice-legal-limit

"Contrary to earlier reports about the arrest, Sag Harbor chief of police Austin J. McGuire said France was yielding with all of the officer’s commands and requests and made no mention of connections to President Donald Trump after being stopped in his 2017 Lexus with New York plates.

“He was very compliant and the only time he ever mentioned NASCAR, as part of our arrest processing, we ask people where they are employed, and he said ‘NASCAR,’” McGuire said.

“The arresting officer had no idea who he was or anything. The arresting officer said Mr. France was completely compliant and a gentleman.”

I'm glad they set the record straight. Unfortunately it won't get nearly as much attention as the false story.

There is an eagerness to further destroy what's already destroyed. It's over for Brian. And I'm sure he knows it by now. Repeating unverified sources is not helpful in any way. According to the police report, he acted totally opposite as to what had been reported. Go figure.

ya know, hate to be a pick a part, but many many times I end up believing neither side. But one thing for sure, what little credibility if any Brain France had before this is gone IMO. This should be the final straw. His family needs to let him go.

Reactions: Pat
Apparently that was TMZ being TMZ a bit over the top and not having a credible resource. Law enforcement said he did not "name drop".

Good to know and I’m relieved to hear it, for some reason.

Yet another motivating reason to continue ignoring TMZ and its ilk.

Reactions: Pat
This is just as I have always suspected. It also explains some of the decisions he has made in the past. He should be made to go through the "Road to Recovery" as part of his punishment. As far as getting his job back, since he is not a race fan, he has no business making racing decisions. I honestly think this is the opportunity his sister, and his uncle, have been waiting for. They know he is behind NASCAR's decline, but they could never justify removing him from his post. The next person to fill this spot MUST be a racing fan, if not a former participant. It has to be someone that looks forward to being at the track every week. Since he never really spent any time at the track, he shouldn't be let anywhere near the executive board room, or anywhere else in NASCAR, ever again. Everything is in place for NASCAR to turn things around for the better. The decisions will not be easy to make, and they will no doubt upset some people. I won't go into what I think should be done, because my opinion isn't worth any more, or less, than anyone else's. I think we all look forward to having someone in charge that truly loves racing. I just hope the France family makes the most of this opportunity.

The weirdest part is it says he isn't a US citizen.

Back
Top Bottom