NASCAR considering radical changes to playoff system

Martin not winning under the new points system doesn't make sense. I'd like to know how they're calculating this. It comes down to that final race so the ONLY way Martin wouldn't have won that year was if he didn't make the final four - which he would have.

Would he have, though? Blew his engine at Charlotte, didn't win the two other races leading up to Atlanta. Seems like someone else in the Round of Eight would have accumulated more points, although I sure don't plan on doing the math.

Martin not winning under the new points system doesn't make sense. I'd like to know how they're calculating this. It comes down to that final race so the ONLY way Martin wouldn't have won that year was if he didn't make the final four - which he would have.
19th-16th-5th in the Dover-Martinsville-North Wilkesboro segment may have eliminated him. Or the 39th at Charlotte in the Charlotte-Rockingham-Phoenix segment.

One possible issue I see with this is that there may be more opportunity for 'team orders' because if a teammate needs a win to get into the chase...

100% and all that ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing a couple of drivers needing that win to make the Chase battling for the lead in the closing laps of one these races. I don't think we're going to be seeing that second place driver willing to settle with what's at stake.

Back
Top Bottom