NASCAR considering radical changes to playoff system

I think we may see a record for number of different winners this year, because there really is no incentive (other than monetary) to win anymore in the first 26 once you have your first win. I've heard there will still be the 3 points per win at the start of the Chase, but if points reset at race #4, does that really matter? The only possible incentive for multiple wins would be to help keep the number of different winners below 17 going into the Chase. That's the number it would take to knock a race winner out of the Chase, but I think even under this format, 17 winners in the first 26 races is unlikely, but more possible than in the past.

I'm sure you're right. These drivers will just be phoning it in once they get their first win. There will no doubt be 26 different winners.

I think the drivers will still have the ego to want to win as much as they can. I'm guessing that the drivers keep a different scoreboard in their head about who the best drivers are.

Look no further than the 2010 season to see the effect that wrapping up a Chase spot has on team motivation. That year, Jimmie Johnson and Denny Hamlin both already had 5 wins apiece by the end of June and a substantial safety net in points, and both went into a huge lull in July and August. But, come Chase time, guess who the best two teams were that year? I think some teams will definitely go into R&D mode once it's evident that they're in.

This is the way I'm going to judge the season, and that is by quality of racing in the first 26 races. If the racing is better, then I'll say that I'm happy about what Nascar did with the cars. As far as the point sustem goes, that is a farce, I don't really care who wins it because IMO it doesn't mean nearly half of what it should mean. And to let all you guys on here know I will be complaining like hell if Daytona is follow the leader for 150 laps!

#1 reason I didn't invest in tickets to the 500.

Look no further than the 2010 season to see the effect that wrapping up a Chase spot has on team motivation. That year, Jimmie Johnson and Denny Hamlin both already had 5 wins apiece by the end of June and a substantial safety net in points, and both went into a huge lull in July and August. But, come Chase time, guess who the best two teams were that year? I think some teams will definitely go into R&D mode once it's evident that they're in.
For sure, why wouldn't they? I just hope the racing is better, but i have a feeling if I want to see actual racing I'm going to need to go to my local track for it.

#1 reason I didn't invest in tickets to the 500.
I always wanted to go to Speedweeks, all that local action around and some of the guys from the North East take their Mods down for New Smyrna and now the so called Battle on the Beach thing. I think the 500 will be a boring race until the last 40 or 50 laps when everyone will be trying to make their "move". We will have the typical wreck that will take out a bunch of good cars and the "lucky one" that escapes this with about 10 to go will most likely win. If nascar would fix the plate tracks they would become much more credible IMO.

I always wanted to go to Speedweeks, all that local action around and some of the guys from the North East take their Mods down for New Smyrna and now the so called Battle on the Beach thing. I think the 500 will be a boring race until the last 40 or 50 laps when everyone will be trying to make their "move". We will have the typical wreck that will take out a bunch of good cars and the "lucky one" that escapes this with about 10 to go will most likely win. If nascar would fix the plate tracks they would become much more credible IMO.

Yep. With the rules package, we don't even get a true pack anymore.

I think the drivers will still have the ego to want to win as much as they can. I'm guessing that the drivers keep a different scoreboard in their head about who the best drivers are.
probably right on the drivers wanting to win, but I think some of the teams will put that on the back burner and concentrate on running different setups to try to get a faster car for the end of the season.

probably right on the drivers wanting to win, but I think some of the teams will put that on the back burner and concentrate on running different setups to try to get a faster car for the end of the season.
..... and chances are they'll find some fast ones and decide.. "Hey maybe I should just go win this race with this fast car instead of saving it for later" lol

incentive ---ta run up front or win more than 1 race ?
---won't drivers still get $$ pay-out according ta each race place finish in '14 ?
---will sponsors quit trackin stats on logo tv time...etc .... this yr ?
....." ya got 1 win......just run in rear til chase " ?

etc ...etc ......$$= incentive

A look back at what could have been courtesy of ShortTrackNews.com.....

BgsXTLTCMAICg3W.jpg:large

But of course Mark Martin wouldn't have one. Sounds like a legit points system to me. How many times would he have finished second, I wonder.

Isn't that something how once a driver now makes it into the Chase they don't try anymore? I wonder what Jr. could do if he'd only have tried. :D I guess we've also seen the end of Harvick till Chase time too.

Isn't that something how once a driver now makes it into the Chase they don't try anymore? I wonder what Jr. could do if he'd only have tried. :D I guess we've also seen the end of Harvick till Chase time too.

Right? See, this is what Richard Petty was talking about. If enough guys win and stop trying... *runs and hides*

That's kinda like the Jeff Gordon don't care any more thread. Two races= two top fives.

Points have become irrelevant to the enjoyment I get from the sport but why in this system, does the overall points leader have no advantage going into the playoffs? It makes even less sense then the last system.. Unless I'm totally reading it wrong.

Even a five point bonus for winning the "regular season" would be nice. If Nascar is so desperate to be like other sports, give the regluar season champion a bye.

That's kinda like the Jeff Gordon don't care any more thread. Two races= two top fives.
What if Jeff keeps up the results and finishes with 0 wins but has 20 something top 5s. He is in the top 3 in points come Richmond but after Richmond he drops to say 14th cuz of the other driver's wins. Gaayyyy

What if Jeff keeps up the results and finishes with 0 wins but has 20 something top 5s. He is in the top 3 in points come Richmond but after Richmond he drops to say 14th cuz of the other driver's wins. Gaayyyy

Or worse 16 drivers get a win gordon doent have one but fifth in points? Hes out

"balls to tha wall " for those 2.....next 24 races.
might get contagious.

I still think this new Chase format is horsesh!t, we've known about for about 6 weeks now and it still hasn't grown on me. I'm not letting it soil my enjoyment of the racing, however. Whoever wins this year's faux championship, good for them. I'm just going to enjoy the individual races every week and not worry about anything else.

I still think this new Chase format is horsesh!t, we've known about for about 6 weeks now and it still hasn't grown on me. I'm not letting it soil my enjoyment of the racing, however. Whoever wins this year's faux championship, good for them. I'm just going to enjoy the individual races every week and not worry about anything else.

That's my plan

I'd think that once a driver is 99.9% sure of a chase spot, we'd see more out of them as they can go for bonus point wins for the remainder of the pre-chase races.

That post was to show that he aint backin off. He keeps drivin like that and he gets a win or three.

Because Dale Earnhardt won

Martin not winning under the new points system doesn't make sense. I'd like to know how they're calculating this. It comes down to that final race so the ONLY way Martin wouldn't have won that year was if he didn't make the final four - which he would have.

Back
Top Bottom