Nascar Cup at the Indy Oval Pre-Race Thread

I don’t know how to categorize myself as a NASCAR cup fan. I watch most of the races and like most of them. I try and stay away from ragging on NASCAR. If I ever think it’s that bad I’ll go do something else.
That's a great perspective and way to live. I wish I could be more like that but with NASCAR I so miss the days of when the racing was GREAT and the stands were packed and I had tons of friends and coworkers interested and always talking about it and going to races. I remember 20 or so years ago we always had the water cooler talk on Mondays and there was always buzz. Now I have zero coworkers interested and most friends have moved on. The only time it geta that kind of attention now is when something controversial happens. Like some here have suggested - I think a lot of it is generational in that young kids have little if any attention span but I think it's also a product of boring racing. There were times in the 2010's that I just fast forwarded through a lot of it because NOTHING was happening and it was little more than a parade line. It has gotten much better over the past few years though with the exception of some flat/short track issues and this car being able to pass on those. It will be interesting to see if NASCAR can put a product out there that can attract NEW fans. If not the sport could be in big trouble.

That's a great perspective and way to live. I wish I could be more like that but with NASCAR I so miss the days of when the racing was GREAT and the stands were packed and I had tons of friends and coworkers interested and always talking about it and going to races. I remember 20 or so years ago we always had the water cooler talk on Mondays and there was always buzz. Now I have zero coworkers interested and most friends have moved on. The only time it geta that kind of attention now is when something controversial happens. Like some here have suggested - I think a lot of it is generational in that young kids have little if any attention span but I think it's also a product of boring racing. There were times in the 2010's that I just fast forwarded through a lot of it because NOTHING was happening and it was little more than a parade line. It has gotten much better over the past few years though with the exception of some flat/short track issues and this car being able to pass on those. It will be interesting to see if NASCAR can put a product out there that can attract NEW fans. If not the sport could be in big trouble.

I actually enjoyed the cherry-pit spitting competition I cam across on ESPN 2 the other day over this but thanks for the suggestion.

Sorry, Roger, seeing SOMEONE ELSE'S dreams come true ain't worth the price of Indy admission, especially considering most spectators can't see squat.
I've never been to Indy but always imagined that it must be tough to see much due to having seats on both sides on the front stretch. I have been to Pocono many times and was actually pleasantly surprised by how much I could see sitting at the top of the main grandstand. Those seats also have a roof on them which I highly recommend. My best friend did move to the mid-west this summer though and is hoping we come visit once a summer which (obviously) I will try to coincide with a racetrack I have not been to and Indy was one we were thinking about. He is a friend that has gone to races with me in the past and loved the sport growing up but really has little interest now. I warned him that going to Indy might be boring and hard to see much but I wanted to go just to say I had been to one of the most famous racetracks in the world. We are tentatively planning Iowa and Bristol next year though. He's only about 2 hours from Iowa and that was a good race this year to the surprise of many. Indy is on my list of the worst races though right up there with Phoenix.

I understand your frustration as much has changed over the years. There are definitely things I miss about Nascar in the past days but I don’t talk about them.

Back in the 80’s and 90’s there used to be active NASCAR fans where I live. It isn’t that way anymore unfortunately as people moved on. The biggest complaints I heard from people is they didn’t like the Chase/Playoffs and they hated the CoT. Also people were pissed about Rockingham and Wilkesboro too. I stayed with it though.

Enjoy the race this week! I’m looking forward to it.

I understand your frustration as much has changed over the years. There are definitely things I miss about Nascar in the past days but I don’t talk about them.

Back in the 80’s and 90’s there used to be active NASCAR fans where I live. It isn’t that way anymore unfortunately as people moved on. The biggest complaints I heard from people is they didn’t like the Chase/Playoffs and they hated the CoT. Also people were pissed about Rockingham and Wilkesboro too. I stayed with it though.

Enjoy the race this week! I’m looking forward to it.

Where I live nobody watched NASCAR in the 80s and 90s and they still don't today.

Where I live nobody watched NASCAR in the 80s and 90s and they still don't today.
Just curious what area you live in...NASCAR really hit it big first in the southeast in the 50's-70's and then really started becoming more popular in the North after that. In the Northeastern US where I live you were hard-pressed to find people that were not at least casually interested in the 80's and 90's. I worked for a printing company in the late 90's-mid-2000's and everyone was a fan basically. We even had race pools everyone played. It was great. Now, no one is interested that I know really and those that are only casually pay attention at times. I was staying at a friend's house during the 2022 Daytona 500 because of an emergency situation at my house and this friend had heard of NASCAR at least and graciously allowed me to watch in his living room. He was kind of excited at first hearing this whole "Super-Bowl" of motor racing tagline as even though he is not a huge football fan we get together every year for a SB party. I don't think he made 3 laps and he was snoring literally. There is just not much there to pull the casually interested fan anymore.

I wonder why a consortium of TV broadcasters have signed up to pound another $ 8 Billion into the revenue stream shared by the tracks, the teams and NASCAR?

I also wonder why so many companies continue to purchase advertising minutes sufficient in size and quantity during the above noted broadcasts to enable the rights holders to recoup that $ 8 Billion per year and then some.

I wonder why a consortium of TV broadcasters have signed up to pound another $ 8 Billion into the revenue stream shared by the tracks, the teams and NASCAR?
I also wonder why so many companies continue to purchase advertising minutes sufficient in size and quantity during the above noted broadcasts to enable the rights holders to recoup that $ 8 Billion per year and then some.
Deathbedders hate stuff like that. It harms their virgin ears.

Then you might as well wonder why global companies like Coke pony up 8-digit amounts to be partnered with NASCAR and the teams.

Presumably, a lot of Neilsen householders fall asleep during the first 3 laps of a race and leave the TV on all night, skewing the viewership numbers hard to the positive.

Just curious what area you live in...NASCAR really hit it big first in the southeast in the 50's-70's and then really started becoming more popular in the North after that. In the Northeastern US where I live you were hard-pressed to find people that were not at least casually interested in the 80's and 90's. I worked for a printing company in the late 90's-mid-2000's and everyone was a fan basically. We even had race pools everyone played. It was great. Now, no one is interested that I know really and those that are only casually pay attention at times. I was staying at a friend's house during the 2022 Daytona 500 because of an emergency situation at my house and this friend had heard of NASCAR at least and graciously allowed me to watch in his living room. He was kind of excited at first hearing this whole "Super-Bowl" of motor racing tagline as even though he is not a huge football fan we get together every year for a SB party. I don't think he made 3 laps and he was snoring literally. There is just not much there to pull the casually interested fan anymore.

I live just outside of NYC (literally 3 miles east of the Queens line) no interest in NASCAR here and never has been. We did have TNN on cable in the 80s so it was televised, but never was anything about it in newspapers or on local sports news.

On my mickey mouse streamer stuff, they never fail to post a pop up during a Nascar race "are you still watching this'?

There are approximately 342 million people in the U.S. and on any given Sunday around 3 to 4 million watch Nascar. So if ya haven't figured it out yet, you aren't going to find whole neighborhoods of Nascar fans flying flags and barbecuing out on the front yard.

Maybe it's my TVs asking if I'm still watching 4 hours into Darlington or The Masters.
I have no idea about your TV, but mine does it intermittently without rhyme or reason except Nascar races, it hasn't missed a cup race yet. I think they use it to count viewers. Aggravating.

the 80's were just about 40 years ago and the 90's 30 years ago, nothing is the same as it was during that time for good or bad. Why reflect backwards when the present is happening right in front of us, not all is bad with the sport these days. So much good, good enough NASCAR got a hell of a TV deal

I live just outside of NYC (literally 3 miles east of the Queens line) no interest in NASCAR here and never has been. We did have TNN on cable in the 80s so it was televised, but never was anything about it in newspapers or on local sports news.
I was born in Milford, CT about 45 mins from NYC. Now that I think about it, not many "city folk" were interested and we found NASCAR after moving to rural New England. Must be too much to do in the big city. I'll be down in the Bronx for a Yankee game later this month. Always love to visit the city and see the sights and have real good actual NY pizza but would still never want to live there. More power to you.

the 80's were just about 40 years ago and the 90's 30 years ago, nothing is the same as it was during that time for good or bad. Why reflect backwards when the present is happening right in front of us, not all is bad with the sport these days. So much good, good enough NASCAR got a hell of a TV deal
Because people reflect on the past to remember what has gone right and wrong to learn from it. For me, there's no question part of NASCAR's issue is just generational in that people have lost their attention span in the social media age but it's also because of changes they have made that have not been for the better. Hopefully they can learn from it and in some sense they are like in bringing Wilksboro back. It's meant to be done in a positive educational way. If anyone is agonizing then that's not healthy. Also - people who have positive nostalgic feelings and reflect on the past in a positive way tend to live longer and be happier people.

Because people reflect on the past to remember what has gone right and wrong to learn from it. For me, there's no question part of NASCAR's issue is just generational in that people have lost their attention span in the social media age but it's also because of changes they have made that have not been for the better. Hopefully they can learn from it and in some sense they are like in bringing Wilksboro back. It's meant to be done in a positive educational way. If anyone is agonizing then that's not healthy. Also - people who have positive nostalgic feelings and reflect on the past in a positive way tend to live longer and be happier people.
NASCAR just got a 7.7 BILLION (BILLION) dollar plus TV deal and with new TV partners to boot, tracks are selling out again and we have a crop of Cup drivers that might be as talented as I’ve ever seen in my time time as a fan. I have no desire to rehash the good old days when the current days are pretty good in itself. You call it an education, I think of it as the drunk guy at the bar on the bar stool reminiscing about how great things were 30-40 years ago.

Me checking to make sure it isn’t Ian McVittie/Skoal Bandit33
1723125788140.gif

NASCAR just got a 7.7 BILLION (BILLION) dollar plus TV deal and with new TV partners to boot, tracks are selling out again and we have a crop of Cup drivers that might be as talented as I’ve ever seen in my time time as a fan. I have no desire to rehash the good old days when the current days are pretty good in itself. You call it an education, I think of it as the drunk guy at the bar on the bar stool reminiscing about how great things were 30-40 years ago.
All that is fine and good and it's important to celebrate what's going right but I have concerns if this is sustainable as is. Plus you are still drinking the Kool-Aid on the "sell-out" thing. Yes some tracks are technically sold out per advertisement but this is only after tons of seat have been removed. The on track product is just not attracting many new fans. this means that the sport will continue to go downhill as the current fan base gets older. That's why I with they'd focus more on the on-track product and this new car is mixed at best. We need short-track racing to be exciting again.

I wonder if Larson will continue to dominate after the lengthy 3 week layoff?

He might consider finding a way to knock the rust off before Sunday.

All that is fine and good and it's important to celebrate what's going right but I have concerns if this is sustainable as is. Plus you are still drinking the Kool-Aid on the "sell-out" thing. Yes some tracks are technically sold out per advertisement but this is only after tons of seat have been removed. The on track product is just not attracting many new fans. this means that the sport will continue to go downhill as the current fan base gets older. That's why I with they'd focus more on the on-track product and this new car is mixed at best. We need short-track racing to be exciting again.
7.7 billion. I have nothing for you besides that... I'd drink whatever it is if I could get that much money despite how dire some might think it is.

7.7 billion. I have nothing for you besides that... I'd drink whatever it is if I could get that much money despite how dire some might think it is.
That does kind of make you wonder how sustainable it is or if it could possibly be a bubble that could burst in the future. Hopefully they don't come to rely on that $7 billion and then can't get nearly as much next time if TV keeps having problems.

Back
Top Bottom