Nascar Cup at the Indy Oval Pre-Race Thread

I could give a rats ass whether viewing and/or attendance are up or down and, as such, I have no interest in what causes that movement.

However, as @Chase Fan 79 has pointed out, ad nauseum, and as many others on this board tend to agree with, the method used to determine the Cup championship since Kenseth won it strongly resembles a crock of $hit.

Obviously, NASCAR thinks that the stick and ball elimination playoff system that they've fiddled with over the last 20 years is the way to go and we're stuck with it, I get it.

But that doesn't change the fact that many would prefer a season long points system that simply awards more points to the race winner than the old system did.

Finally, a good friend of mine and casual race fan recently asked me for details regarding how the Cup championship is determined.

After maybe a minute and a half of me explaining he laughed and said, "Nevermind, it's not that important."

Seriously though - fair point about generational stuff. There is an issue with folks having no attention span anymore.
I recall seeing documented statistics that sports viewership and attendance are down for almost all major sports to differing degrees,, including football. NASCAR's incremental gains in the last five years are modestly bucking that trend.

Either way, the TV contracts are signed and the money will get divvied up one way or another. NASCAR racing will be out there for us to watch and attend.

Finally, a good friend of mine and casual race fan recently asked me for details regarding how the Cup championship is determined.
"16 racers go to the playoffs based on their records. They're eliminated four at a time. Of the final four, the one who finishes best in the last race is the champion."

I have that copyrighted but it's under a public use license.

The world is different than it was 25 years ago, and the fan base will most likely never return to those levels.

There were more gear-heads, more old full service gas stations around with an old race car in it. Those full servive gas stations with an maintenance bay are gone now and many of the local tracks sold out to real estate investors.

To be real: Many of those cars were also one off shade tree operations, some were even just a jalopy. It was more a grass roots motorsports feel even at the higher levels. I never got to see the old baseball textile leagues in the early 1900s, but I think that is what we had with Stock Car Racing for last half of the century. God it was wonderful but it will never come back (wisdom would be to find what's Gold for you now, while it's still here). It was a one off thing like the old baseball textile league phemenon

I was younger in the early 90s too and still had dreams of being one of the drivers myself. The younger crowd is just into different things, it's a different world. When we were kids we counted off the days until we turned 16 and got our drivers license, some kids today don't seem like they care if they will ever drive a car.

It will not get any better until enough AI clones are built to fill the stands, hopefully they will be the almost nekkid wimmins kind.

^^^ I'm convinced this dude is some AI generated plant, from a guy in Bangladesh or whatever
I thought about using my phone AI APP to correct my drafts when I was writing a post (only for the grammer benefits and not the main content). But it had to make so many corrections and changes, I could hardly identify with what I was supposed to be saying.

"16 racers go to the playoffs based on their records. They're eliminated four at a time. Of the final four, the one who finishes best in the last race is the champion."

Based on what records? Eliminated how? Do only the final four compete in the last race? If not, why not? More details, more details !!! :puffin:

My adjusted plan to keep the elimination crap would be:

Get rid of "win" and "you are in," and award the race winner a flat total of 75 points per race win, regardless of his performance for each stage of that particular race.

All other points for each race, including the stage points, would remain unchanged from their current state.
There would be a large incentive to win the races, but it would not be an all-or-nothing situation that minimizes good performance and consistency for the entire season or body of work.
There also should be no need for waivers. If your points total is one of the 16 best, you qualify. If not, you are eliminated, with no exceptions. If a driver chooses to skip a race for any reason, that would be an issue for his team/sponsors to worry about and the ability to make up the difference. The team would still need to start the car with a replacement driver to meet its charter commitments.

The playoff resets (since they will not go away) would award four bonus points per position to carry into each playoff round.
The driver with the most overall season points would get 64 bonus points to take into the next round, the driver with the second most points would have 60 bonus points to take into the next round etc...

Note the the awarded bonus points would be awarded based on the total for each driver at the start of the round. So at the start of the 2nd round the awarded bonus points would be based on the 29 total races up to that point. The following round would be based on the 32 completed races at that point.

The season finale would be still consist of four remaining drivers .

The final four rankings would be based on their finishing order without any bonuses during the season finale. All other drivers would have been eliminated prior to start of the finale.

Postions 5 through 40 or whatever would be awarded based on the season points total for all of the 36 races (note: those drivers wouldn't be eligible to be considered for one of the top four final positions).

I agree. There's lots of things they could do but overall, I remember they started the playoffs and this 16-car elimination by round because they wanted something similar to other sports culminating in a "game-7 type moment" which the old system hardly ever produced. 1992 may have been the only time. I still maintain the old system would work better now than it did before because there is more parity in the sport now and mechanical failures are far less common but I have gotten used to the 16-car elimination and like that a win will carry you to the next round regardless of all other factors. Hell, that's the only reason I still give Chase an outside shot at making the final 4 since he has so few playoff points. Either way though, essentially qualifying for the playoffs based on one race is just garbage. Imagine if other spouts said similar things...Can you imagine in MLB if they said "hey - if you have a 10-game winning streak at any point you're in." I am a NY Yankees fan and their season is a perfect example of the pits and valleys of a long regular season in that they were the best team in MLB until 06/13 and then from 06/13 through a week or 2 ago they were one of the worst. Now they are rebounding and on a hot streak again. Regular seasons are long and should be all about the big picture. Playoffs are short and should be about the small picture.
I think playoff bloat is a crisis across pretty much all of sports, but that may just be my opinion. It’s not something particular to NASCAR. I do think NASCAR is more married to their TV partners than they are to certain rules and regulations though. If NBC didn’t re-up for the final stretch of the season, would the format be changed once again? Probably. I think the only other major sporting industry where the networks have so much more influence in policymaking than the actual sanctioning body/bodies do is in college athletics, which is experiencing more commercial success than ever by many magnitudes but has become a bit of a ****show as a result.

I think playoff bloat is a crisis across pretty much all of sports, but that may just be my opinion. It’s not something particular to NASCAR. I do think NASCAR is more married to their TV partners than they are to certain rules and regulations though. If NBC didn’t re-up for the final stretch of the season, would the format be changed once again? Probably. I think the only other major sporting industry where the networks have so much more influence in policymaking than the actual sanctioning body/bodies do is in college athletics, which is experiencing more commercial success than ever by many magnitudes but has become a bit of a ****show as a result.
You have a point there with playoff bloat for sure. It seems like every sport is trying to cash in and keeps extending the playoffs which makes them more watered down. I used to think the NFL had it nailed perfectly and then they went and let another team in so they could have "Super Wild Card Weekend" or whatever the hell it is/. The NFL is still good but are starting to border on bloat. That said - I think NASCAR should move All Star Weekend to the week before the playoffs and only allow the top 15 into the all star race to showcase the playoff drivers and the open should be the rest of the field and the winner gets a wild card into the playoffs. That would be cool.

Smug, dismissive and condescending.

In one sentence.
You may think your gifts of mind-reading and understanding what a person is thinking are on point but, at least in my case, they are not. I'd try checking the definitions of some of those words too and maybe you should learn sarcasm. Anyone who knows me knows the LAST thing that I am is smug. I have never said anything condescending of anyone's opinions and in fact welcome them and take opportunities to point out when they bring something up that I may have not been considering like the generational argument of why NASCAR viewership has fallen way off since 2005. The only think I am dismissive of is ridiculous comments that in no way try to further a discussion (which is what we are for I think) but yet make inept attempts to subtly offend the person giving their opinion. There are certain folks that when you make a point they can't really argue no matter how much they disagree they resort to crap like that. Funny that you call me "dismissive" yet people like you and Stan just want to dismiss anything I say by "dismissing" it without arguing a point. The whole points system debate started because Stan is already making a case that it will be wrong if Larson does not win it all and I tried to point out (with fact to back it up) that Larson is not having a "dominant" season and even in other points systems he would not be running away with everything. If you don't agree that's cool. That's why they call it opinion but I'd really like to hear why instead of just being dismissed only to be called dismissive. I'll have far more respect for your opinion than you have had for mine regardless of how much we disagree. I promise you that. :)

Based on what records? Eliminated how? Do only the final four compete in the last race? If not, why not? More details, more details !!! :puffin:
I will be honest. I have been watching NASCAR for 35 years and sometimes I have a hard time keeping track of it all. Like Chase having the second-fastest lap in qualifying at Indy but starting 3rd.....WTF? I get lost in the madness during the playoffs and just have to stop thinking about it and look at the end to see where everyone is at. Ironic that NASCAR tried to create a system to draw the casual fan in and came up with this.

My adjusted plan to keep the elimination crap would be:

Get rid of "win" and "you are in," and award the race winner a flat total of 75 points per race win, regardless of his performance for each stage of that particular race.

All other points for each race, including the stage points, would remain unchanged from their current state.
There would be a large incentive to win the races, but it would not be an all-or-nothing situation that minimizes good performance and consistency for the entire season or body of work.
There also should be no need for waivers. If your points total is one of the 16 best, you qualify. If not, you are eliminated, with no exceptions. If a driver chooses to skip a race for any reason, that would be an issue for his team/sponsors to worry about and the ability to make up the difference. The team would still need to start the car with a replacement driver to meet its charter commitments.

The playoff resets (since they will not go away) would award four bonus points per position to carry into each playoff round.
The driver with the most overall season points would get 64 bonus points to take into the next round, the driver with the second most points would have 60 bonus points to take into the next round etc...

Note the the awarded bonus points would be awarded based on the total for each driver at the start of the round. So at the start of the 2nd round the awarded bonus points would be based on the 29 total races up to that point. The following round would be based on the 32 completed races at that point.

The season finale would be still consist of four remaining drivers .

The final four rankings would be based on their finishing order without any bonuses during the season finale. All other drivers would have been eliminated prior to start of the finale.

Positions 5 through 40 or whatever would be awarded based on the season points total for all of the 36 races (note: those drivers wouldn't be eligible to be considered for one of the top four final positions).

Greg's plan as displayed on a chalk board:

math problem - small.png

You may think your gifts of mind-reading and understanding what a person is thinking are on point but, at least in my case, they are not. I'd try checking the definitions of some of those words too and maybe you should learn sarcasm. Anyone who knows me knows the LAST thing that I am is smug. I have never said anything condescending of anyone's opinions and in fact welcome them and take opportunities to point out when they bring something up that I may have not been considering like the generational argument of why NASCAR viewership has fallen way off since 2005. The only think I am dismissive of is ridiculous comments that in no way try to further a discussion (which is what we are for I think) but yet make inept attempts to subtly offend the person giving their opinion. There are certain folks that when you make a point they can't really argue no matter how much they disagree they resort to crap like that. Funny that you call me "dismissive" yet people like you and Stan just want to dismiss anything I say by "dismissing" it without arguing a point. The whole points system debate started because Stan is already making a case that it will be wrong if Larson does not win it all and I tried to point out (with fact to back it up) that Larson is not having a "dominant" season and even in other points systems he would not be running away with everything. If you don't agree that's cool. That's why they call it opinion but I'd really like to hear why instead of just being dismissed only to be called dismissive. I'll have far more respect for your opinion than you have had for mine regardless of how much we disagree. I promise you that. :)
You implied that the responses from various forum members to your multitude of posts on this subject are illogical and not well thought out. You further implied that having seen one that wasn’t, you were “having a hard time”.

I considered your remarks to be smug, dismissive and condescending and said so. My opinion hasn’t changed, nor will it.

I believe I said that Larson is dominating this season. I believe he is. I posted some stats to prove it. You came up with some ****- a- meme 20 year old points system. I pointed out some flaws in the current points system in that a driver can dominate a season (William Byron) and lose the last race and come away a loser for the season. I believe you are the one busting his ass arguing.

When we were kids we counted off the days until we turned 16 and got our drivers license, some kids today don't seem like they care if they will ever drive a car.
My God this hit a chord just the other day. Five of my grandkids are over sixteen and do not seem to be too concerned about getting their license. What struck the chord was when I was talking to my nineteen-year-old granddaughter when I asked her when she would come over and visit. She said as soon as I add her to my uber account. Do not have one, and do not think they service my area, I am rural. She lives about eighty miles away in an urban environment. Sheesh...what the hell is happening to our culture? Heck, I bought a car for fifteen dollars when I was fourteen, drove it until I got my license a couple of years later. Then bought a '63 1/2 Ford Galaxie with a 406 and four speed. It was kind of nice not having to borrow license plates from neighbors.... Also, had to use that 406 in my race car for a couple of weeks. Did not do too bad, won a couple of features with it before my 427 came back from the machine shop.

You implied that the responses from various forum members to your multitude of posts on this subject are illogical and not well thought out. You further implied that having seen one that wasn’t, you were “having a hard time”.

I considered your remarks to be smug, dismissive and condescending and said so. My opinion hasn’t changed, nor will it.
Consider whatever you want. Just not true. You are assuming implication that does not exist. Sign of insecurity. Look it up.

I believe I said that Larson is dominating this season. I believe he is. I posted some stats to prove it. You came up with some ****- a- meme 20 year old points system. I pointed out some flaws in the current points system in that a driver can dominate a season (William Byron) and lose the last race and come away a loser for the season. I believe you are the one busting his ass arguing.
Where you are wrong is that your stats "prove" nothing and that's because it can't be "proven" since the term "dominant" is subjective anyway. I have even said he's been the best this year but just not by a wide enough margin to be considered dominant. He only has one more win than the next drivers and seems to have been fading of late outside of an Indy win that even the biggest Larson fan has to admit probably should not have happened. Even Cliff Daniels said he did not think they were going to win. Either way though, it's all opinion and neither of us can be right or wrong. You can dismiss what I say as BS but all that does it add to the reputation you have. When I started posting here several people messaged me privately and suggested I just ignore you because this is how you are. I chose to be engage and be respectful and make my points form a different point of view but all you do is call is "BS." It's kind of like dealing with my 7 year old kid when he gets frustrated because he knows he's wrong but you just keep doing you. Seems like that's the image you are going for. Nothing you say will ever have any effect on me so just type away my friend.

My God this hit a chord just the other day. Five of my grandkids are over sixteen and do not seem to be too concerned about getting their license. What struck the chord was when I was talking to my nineteen-year-old granddaughter when I asked her when she would come over and visit. She said as soon as I add her to my uber account. Do not have one, and do not think they service my area, I am rural. She lives about eighty miles away in an urban environment. Sheesh...what the hell is happening to our culture? Heck, I bought a car for fifteen dollars when I was fourteen, drove it until I got my license a couple of years later. Then bought a '63 1/2 Ford Galaxie with a 406 and four speed. It was kind of nice not having to borrow license plates from neighbors.... Also, had to use that 406 in my race car for a couple of weeks. Did not do too bad, won a couple of features with it before my 427 came back from the machine shop.
I have 2 teenage daughters and we used to regularly have movie nights as a family but they are no longer interested. They are not interested not because they are out doing other things but because they simply do not have the attention span to sit and pay attention for 2 or so hours. It's getting worse and worse. One did get her license but was too dangerous and irresponsible to keep driving and the other is not interested and too afraid to drive.

Where you are wrong is that your stats "prove" nothing and that's because it can't be "proven" since the term "dominant" is subjective anyway. I have even said he's been the best this year but just not by a wide enough margin to be considered dominant. He only has one more win than the next drivers and seems to have been fading of late outside of an Indy win that even the biggest Larson fan has to admit probably should not have happened. Even Cliff Daniels said he did not think they were going to win. Either way though, it's all opinion and neither of us can be right or wrong. You can dismiss what I say as BS but all that does it add to the reputation you have. When I started posting here several people messaged me privately and suggested I just ignore you because this is how you are. I chose to be engage and be respectful and make my points form a different point of view but all you do is call is "BS." It's kind of like dealing with my 7 year old kid when he gets frustrated because he knows he's wrong but you just keep doing you. Seems like that's the image you are going for. Nothing you say will ever have any effect on me so just type away my friend.

Oh look, you missed the point again - First the topic there is not what a dominant season Larson is having but actually just how good a driver he is based on this headline - I don't have time to watch the vid but even if it is suggesting his season is dominant, it's the opinion of one guy. Plus the one guy being Kenny Wallce? I like Kenny but he's not exactly the authority in the sport. LAMO. Again and again I can say this is all opinion and obviously our standard on what makes a season "dominant" are very different. I think of Jeff Gordon's 97 or Harvick's 2020 or even Larson's 2021 like I said before where guys are racking up double digit win totals are dominant but seems like you take the stats you want to pay attention to like Larson's top 5's or average running position or whatever and look at just those. Whatever floats your boat. There's obviously nothing I am going to say to get you to think differently and you are not getting me to think differently so just agree to disagree and move on. It seems to me that you are trying to make a case 3-4 months ahead of time that poor Kyle Larson is the best and deserves a championship he may not win. The sport has a long history of this regardless of the points system and went against others with far mor dominant than Mr. Larson so far this year - Elliott in 85, Gordon in 96 and Harvick in 2020 just to name a few. In this format it means nothing in terms of a championship if you can't win the last race so call his season whatever you want.

One thing I know we can all agree on is I am so glad racing is back this weekend - even if it is Richmond which has been terrible pf late.

We got so much mileage out of this pre race thread
Yeah man and I see folks like you have issue with that but really all I do is check notifications and reply to stuff as the conversation moves on. Don't really care where the conversation goes based on thread. Now if I am brining up something totally new like the issue NASCAR may have with scheduling the 500 if the NFL goes to an 18-week schedule like I did last week THEN I will post in a new thread. It's really odd how some things bother people. I have too much real stress in my life with 2 teenage daughters to worry about crap like that. LOL

Oh look, you missed the point again - First the topic there is not what a dominant season Larson is having but actually just how good a driver he is based on this headline - I don't have time to watch the vid but even if it is suggesting his season is dominant, it's the opinion of one guy. Plus the one guy being Kenny Wallce? I like Kenny but he's not exactly the authority in the sport. LAMO. Again and again I can say this is all opinion and obviously our standard on what makes a season "dominant" are very different. I think of Jeff Gordon's 97 or Harvick's 2020 or even Larson's 2021 like I said before where guys are racking up double digit win totals are dominant but seems like you take the stats you want to pay attention to like Larson's top 5's or average running position or whatever and look at just those. Whatever floats your boat. There's obviously nothing I am going to say to get you to think differently and you are not getting me to think differently so just agree to disagree and move on. It seems to me that you are trying to make a case 3-4 months ahead of time that poor Kyle Larson is the best and deserves a championship he may not win. The sport has a long history of this regardless of the points system and went against others with far mor dominant than Mr. Larson so far this year - Elliott in 85, Gordon in 96 and Harvick in 2020 just to name a few. In this format it means nothing in terms of a championship if you can't win the last race so call his season whatever you want.

One thing I know we can all agree on is I am so glad racing is back this weekend - even if it is Richmond which has been terrible pf late.

So now you are making an argument that Larson is the most dominant THIS season by posting stats about the past 2 season AND this season? That makes absolutely zero sense. Also - People (including you I think) love to point out that Larson is leading the points even though he missed the 600 but didn't Chase miss like 7 races in this point window? That's only scoring about 32 points per race that he missed to be with Larson so seems to me this argument holds about as much value as me saying "well Chase dominated the regular season in 2022 so therefore he's the best now." LMAO!! Again man - you be you and keep throwing stats out there but bottom line THIS season Larson has only a 10-point lead in the standings and only 4 wins when 3 other guys have 3. His average finish (which ignores missing the 600) is also lagging pretty far behind other gays. It's amazing to me that you are bothered enough by the "suggestion" that he is having the best season overall but just not dominating that you just keep coming back. Again though - you be you. You seem to enjoy it. LOL

So now you are making an argument that Larson is the most dominant THIS season by posting stats about the past 2 season AND this season? That makes absolutely zero sense. Also - People (including you I think) love to point out that Larson is leading the points even though he missed the 600 but didn't Chase miss like 7 races in this point window? That's only scoring about 32 points per race that he missed to be with Larson so seems to me this argument holds about as much value as me saying "well Chase dominated the regular season in 2022 so therefore he's the best now." LMAO!! Again man - you be you and keep throwing stats out there but bottom line THIS season Larson has only a 10-point lead in the standings and only 4 wins when 3 other guys have 3. His average finish (which ignores missing the 600) is also lagging pretty far behind other gays. It's amazing to me that you are bothered enough by the "suggestion" that he is having the best season overall but just not dominating that you just keep coming back. Again though - you be you. You seem to enjoy it. LOL

Seriously man. Seek help. I get it - Larson is a great driver and you REALLY like him....almost at a concerning level but now you are just posting more and more stuff not even relevant to the point you were trying to make which reeks of not being able to make your point. Until you show me something about THIS season you are just not getting my attention at all as far as changing my opinion. THIS season Larson has only ONE more win than Hamlin, Bell and Byron. He has the same number of top -5's as Reddick and only ONE more than Hamlin and only 2 more than Byron, Blaney and Elliott. He has four LESS top-10's than Reddick and one less than Byron and Bell and the same as Blaney and Elliott. Elliott and Reddick both have him beat on average finish also. Hell Hamlin has even led more laps than him. I will say it one last time. He IS having the best overall season when you look at all these factors but he is not dominating as Hamlin is almost right with him and Bell, Byron, Reddick, Blaney and Elliott are not that far behind. If it wasn't for Phoenix being such a Toyota/Ford track right now I'd be genuinely excited for this battle to the end but I just think that Bell and Hamlin and Blaney will be at such an advantage if they make the final 4 and we already saw this play out last year. Unless Chevy really figures out something before then because at Loudon (similar to Phoenix) from where I was sitting you could visibly SEE the Fords and Toyotas were faster and hear them getting back to the gas quicker. Go ahead though, keep up with your Larson love fest that has nothing to do with this season and keep making my point. It only makes me stronger. :) I wish I could I stay and continue this battle of wits but clearly you are unarmed....Plus I've got s#*# to do so peace out for today. :)

Seriously man. Seek help. I get it - Larson is a great driver and you REALLY like him....almost at a concerning level but now you are just posting more and more stuff not even relevant to the point you were trying to make which reeks of not being able to make your point. Until you show me something about THIS season you are just not getting my attention at all as far as changing my opinion. THIS season Larson has only ONE more win than Hamlin, Bell and Byron. He has the same number of top -5's as Reddick and only ONE more than Hamlin and only 2 more than Byron, Blaney and Elliott. He has four LESS top-10's than Reddick and one less than Byron and Bell and the same as Blaney and Elliott. Elliott and Reddick both have him beat on average finish also. Hell Hamlin has even led more laps than him. I will say it one last time. He IS having the best overall season when you look at all these factors but he is not dominating as Hamlin is almost right with him and Bell, Byron, Reddick, Blaney and Elliott are not that far behind. If it wasn't for Phoenix being such a Toyota/Ford track right now I'd be genuinely excited for this battle to the end but I just think that Bell and Hamlin and Blaney will be at such an advantage if they make the final 4 and we already saw this play out last year. Unless Chevy really figures out something before then because at Loudon (similar to Phoenix) from where I was sitting you could visibly SEE the Fords and Toyotas were faster and hear them getting back to the gas quicker. Go ahead though, keep up with your Larson love fest that has nothing to do with this season and keep making my point. It only makes me stronger. :) I wish I could I stay and continue this battle of wits but clearly you are unarmed....Plus I've got s#*# to do so peace out for today. :)

You have to chug it fast once the hole is punched or it pours itself out
So the idea is to deliberately create a problem for yourself? Besides, it won't pour out if you turn the can so the opening is at the top, regardless what opening is used.

This may be a beer culture thing I'm not going to get.

AKA “shotgunning” a beer.
I realized this morning I now had a phrase that might yield search results more useful than 'kissing a drink can'.

For the entirely uninitiated, “shotgunning” is a simple, often competition-oriented way of drinking a can of sh!tty beer rapidly, typically while wearing flip flops and cargo shorts and standing in someone’s parents’ basement or your dormitory

The part of the physical act that wasn't previously mentioned, that there would be openings at both ends of the can.
put said hole to your mouth, turn the beer so it’s vertical, open the beer “traditionally,” and let the magic of physics and atmospheric pressure force the beer into your mouth

This may be a beer culture thing I'm not going to get.
Yep.

Dude, you are worrying way too much about the opinions of total strangers regarding a form of entertainment.

Insert GIF here of guy in his basement with imaginary trophies and a Kyle Larson shrine.

Back
Top Bottom