NASCAR Death Bed

IDK how advertising for Haas CNC helps business but I will take Gene’s word for it. Normally a team owner wants a company he has no financial stake in doing the sponsoring. It sounds like as of right now Gene will be on the hook for 25% of the 41’s races
Hass CNC is a company partially owned by Gene who as you know has a salaried position with profit shares. The money Hass CNC pays to SHR is a company advertising expense. So in reality part of the money goes to the shop and some to himself as a owner.
Remember the "shareholders expense account" you used sometimes?? :D

Gene Haas is the sole owner of Haas Automation.

Haas Automation expenses it’s racecar sponshorship costs for tax purposes.

There is no such thing as "Tax Purposes" If your net worth is 2 million and your max tax (Canada) is 57%, why would you spend 43 cents to not give the government 57 cents. The 43 cents on the dollar is your own money after taxes. However, if you are allocating "advertising budget" that is another story.
I looked it up and your 100% correct, Hass Automation is a private company.

There is no such thing as "Tax Purposes" If your net worth is 2 million and your max tax (Canada) is 57%, why would you spend 43 cents to not give the government 57 cents. The 43 cents on the dollar is your own money after taxes. However, if you are allocating "advertising budget" that is another story.

You won't find any financial information about Haas automation a totally owned business without any public traded stock he doesn't have to make his business earnings public. He is listed in Forbes under billionaires

Hass CNC is a company partially owned by Gene who as you know has a salaried position with profit shares. The money Hass CNC pays to SHR is a company advertising expense. So in reality part of the money goes to the shop and some to himself as a owner.
Remember the "shareholders expense account" you used sometimes?? :D

IMO Gene would prefer to have entities other than ones he is involved with sponsor his cars. IDK this for fact as maybe more owners will see a benefit in self sponsoring

IMO Gene would prefer to have entities other than ones he is involved with sponsor his cars. IDK this for fact as maybe more owners will see a benefit in self sponsoring

You know all of that advertising helped him strike a deal with Ferrari. Ferrari's factories now use Haas CNC machines.

You know all of that advertising helped him strike a deal with Ferrari. Ferrari's factories now use Haas CNC machines.

I suspect Gene’s involvement with F1 had an impact on his relationship with Ferrari. I doubt Haas CNC sponsoring the 14 and 41 entered into it.

It is possible that the decision makers for Ferrari are also Nascar fans and saw the Haas CNC sponsorship on his Nacar teams. It is possible that due to that exposure they decided to do business with Gene. Is it probable?

Sacrilege!

thanks Haas -- your precision ruined the soul of Ferrari

-- true Ferrari's are hand built to acceptable exacting 1960 (or earlier) tolerances! :D

I suspect Gene’s involvement with F1 had an impact on his relationship with Ferrari. I doubt Haas CNC sponsoring the 14 and 41 entered into it.

It is possible that the decision makers for Ferrari are also Nascar fans and saw the Haas CNC sponsorship on his Nacar teams. It is possible that due to that exposure they decided to do business with Gene. Is it probable?

Its definately probable. It just goes to show NASCAR reaches out a bit further than what we know. I'm unsure and its hard to find detail about how the deal came together. Considering CNC machines make production easier for factories. The algorithms being saved and making items easier to produce at a mass level. Ferrari probably looked at this for production vehicles and the F1 program. I'd suppose it makes thing easier and cheaper down the road.

Its definately probable. It just goes to show NASCAR reaches out a bit further than what we know. I'm unsure and its hard to find detail about how the deal came together. Considering CNC machines make production easier for factories. The algorithms being saved and making items easier to produce at a mass level. Ferrari probably looked at this for production vehicles and the F1 program. I'd suppose it makes thing easier and cheaper down the road.

I’m glad it is working out for Haas as he may want to consider running one self sponsored car in each race if it is paying dividends,

Having been in the Cad/Cam area Haas CNC's are the gold standard, made in the USA also. He did the same thing he did with his inventions and innovations with his machine tool company in Nascar. I guess some are envious of his successes.

I can see guys like Roger Penske and Rick Hendrick thinking about self sponsoring and the benefits.

Operating expenses, including advertising / sponsorships, incurred by any business during a particular year are expensed for tax purposes.

None of the money we're talking about here is tax-paid and sitting in Mr. Haas" "pocket".

Can't wait to see where this thread goes this year.

It will go just fine, especially if the naysayers, pessimist, so called "realist" and your basic eyeore types from Winnie the Pooh will try to find something worthwhile to post. Instead of the standard NASCAR sucks, and I don't like it, and I don't like anyone that does like it tripe. And throw the "empty seater" types in there also.

I don't believe distance auto racing has a place in American sports culture anymore. Given the fact that modern sports are more about the "live TV experience" than the actual "live experience" where it allows 400 and 500 mile races that naturally play out. I think shorter races where accidents and wrecking are more conducive to what people want to see. It allows for more hot takes, highlights and controversy. I think NASCAR ultimately has a very difficult decision to make in the next few years. I think shorter races will further dwindle the crowds. In 10-15 years tracks might not have more than 15-20k seats to cater to a local audience. But, at this point no one cares about that. It's all about making the sport attractive to the TV audience where people want to see wrecks and fireworks. The NASCAR I grew up and love simply isn't practical in this day in age. No one wants to see a 400-500 race organically play out anymore.

Probably a good idea to speak for yourself. From somebody who watched most of the Rolex 24, just because some people really don't care about racing doesn't mean we all do. Opinions differ. There is talk about shorter races and even shortening the season, but also talks about more short tracks and road courses and with shorter races talk about races during the week. Like Phelps said everything is on the table

Probably a good idea to speak for yourself. From somebody who watched most of the Rolex 24, just because some people really don't care about racing doesn't mean we all do. Opinions differ. There is talk about shorter races and even shortening the season, but also talks about more short tracks and road courses and with shorter races talk about races during the week. Like Phelps said everything is on the table

Everyone speaks for themselves when they state an opinion. :D

I watched the Rolex too! I'm with you man but I think we're a dying breed!

It will go just fine, especially if the naysayers, pessimist, so called "realist" and your basic eyeore types from Winnie the Pooh will try to find something worthwhile to post. Instead of the standard NASCAR sucks, and I don't like it, and I don't like anyone that does like it tripe. And throw the "empty seater" types in there also.

I could choose to throw the same amount of shade onto those that are NASCAR homers and look the other way to all the mismanagement that has gone on over the last 15 years, but I won’t. Who knows, maybe they will chime in with a PR statement about how good things are in NASCAR land.

I could choose to throw the same amount of shade onto those that are NASCAR homers and look the other way to all the mismanagement that has gone on over the last 15 years, but I won’t. Who knows, maybe they will chime in with a PR statement about how good things are in NASCAR land.

I watch races for racing, not to desperately look for negatives to gloat about. Obviously you and you "homers" have your agenda. Have at it. I'm guessing I'm like a lot of folks on this forum, I really am not bothered by so called "fans" that only whine and moan about NASCAR. It baffles me why they claim to watch, yet never have anything worthwhile to post. The racing has been improving in my opinion, and that the only one that really matters.

Glad you believe that the sport is changing for the better. In my opinion, NASCAR got one GIANT thing correct in the off season. They change the rule and now take away a win from a cheater/illegal car. How anyone in the sport defended the ability of an illegal car to win a race, and be allowed to keep that win once discovered goes counter to having rules in the first place. I’m very glad that NASCAR decided they needed to move away from the very tired story of its outlaw beginnings and how that made it “OK” to cheat. Gawd, even the small dirt tracks around the country don’t allow illegal cars to run or to keep a win if they are found to be illegal in post race inspection. :D

I don't believe distance auto racing has a place in American sports culture anymore. Given the fact that modern sports are more about the "live TV experience" than the actual "live experience" where it allows 400 and 500 mile races that naturally play out. I think shorter races where accidents and wrecking are more conducive to what people want to see. It allows for more hot takes, highlights and controversy. I think NASCAR ultimately has a very difficult decision to make in the next few years. I think shorter races will further dwindle the crowds. In 10-15 years tracks might not have more than 15-20k seats to cater to a local audience. But, at this point no one cares about that. It's all about making the sport attractive to the TV audience where people want to see wrecks and fireworks. The NASCAR I grew up and love simply isn't practical in this day in age. No one wants to see a 400-500 race organically play out anymore.
I don't mind watching 500 miles of racing. Its the 300 miles that they just drive around that I don't like. By using the DVR I can run at double speed and watch the whole race in 1.5 hrs.

I don't mind watching 500 miles of racing. Its the 300 miles that they just drive around that I don't like. By using the DVR I can run at double speed and watch the whole race in 1.5 hrs.

They're not just riding around for those 300 miles. There's a ton of nuances that are going on that makes those 300 miles extremely critical to the overall outcome of the race. It's just that people don't care about those nuances anymore. It's not highlight worthy and action worthy to cater to the modern sports fan. The 1990's NASCAR that blew up up the sport would be far too boring these days. If NASCAR adopts shorter races than I will officially bow out as a watching/attending fan. Hopefully they pick up 2 new fans in my place should the new style of racing happen.

They're not just riding around for those 300 miles. There's a ton of nuances that are going on that makes those 300 miles extremely critical to the overall outcome of the race. It's just that people don't care about those nuances anymore. It's not highlight worthy and action worthy to cater to the modern sports fan. The 1990's NASCAR that blew up up the sport would be far too boring these days. If NASCAR adopts shorter races than I will officially bow out as a watching/attending fan. Hopefully they pick up 2 new fans in my place should the new style of racing happen.

The 48 hours of Daytona that just ended must be right up your alley. Nothing like taking 40 minutes to clean up 2 wrecks. I think that race was sponsored by energizer. It kept going, and going, and going.

The 48 hours of Daytona that just ended must be right up your alley. Nothing like taking 40 minutes to clean up 2 wrecks. I think that race was sponsored by energizer. It kept going, and going, and going.

I attended the 48 hours of Pocono in July 2002!! Between the long delay to repair the guardrail that Jr and Steve Park destroyed and the long rain delay it was a marathon of epic proportions! They called it around lap 160 due to darkness. Elliott won.

Back
Top Bottom