NASCAR Death Bed

I'm not the one worried. it seems the press that lives off of clicks are and they have influenced a bunch to their way of thinking. As long as they don't look at the profit and loss they are fine.

I'm not the one worried. it seems the press that lives off of clicks are and they have influenced a bunch to their way of thinking. As long as they don't look at the profit and loss they are fine.

It is great that ISC is profitable but it sure doesn’t change anything taking place in cup racing. I mean it is nice to pour money into tracks and facilities but if less people show up to attend events each year and hundreds of thousands less watch from home what good is it?

It is great that ISC is profitable but it sure doesn’t change anything taking place in cup racing. I mean it is nice to pour money into tracks and facilities but if less people show up to attend events each year and hundreds of thousands less watch from home what good is it?
yeah have to do something to shelter all that money, updates work for depreciation tax breaks

yeah have to do something to shelter all that money, updates work for depreciation tax breaks

It sure doesn’t sound like the upgraded tracks have done anything for attendance. In fact there are still tickets available for the Daytona 500! They haven’t done anything to help with TV ratings or sponsors or keeping championship teams from folding........

It sure doesn’t sound like the upgraded tracks have done anything for attendance. In fact there are still tickets available for the Daytona 500! They haven’t done anything to help with TV ratings or sponsors or keeping championship teams from folding........
here ya go man.

here ya go man.

Those are scary low numbers when you consider the tracks still don’t sell out after slashing seats 3-4-5 times. There will always be exceptions but 20-30k seems like the number we’re headed for.

yeah Armageddon, I can figure out how they made 220 million and spent 173 million on a track at Phoenix in addition to all of their other maintenance to the others and lost all of those seats can you?

yeah Armageddon, I can figure out how they made 220 million and spent 173 million on a track at Phoenix in addition to all of their other maintenance to the others and lost all of those seats can you?

Yeah it’s like why bother? What the heck is the point of dumping money into something that is going to have to be downsized again? They should have thrown a few bones to Barney instead

It's their money, frankly I was gobsmacked they made so much money. Something has to be wrong with the figures. Maybe it is because they aren't paying Brian's salary anymore.

It's their money, frankly I was gobsmacked they made so much money. Something has to be wrong with the figures. Maybe it is because they aren't paying Brian's salary anymore.

Yeah I don’t care how they spend dough but it is daft to throw money at something that hasn’t done anything for the bottom line.

I’m hoping that someone like @gnomesayin weighs in on the issues we have discussed as he is sharp and is an interesting read.

The corporate financial aspects interest me little. I don't know enough about business at that scale to comment intelligently. I have some opinions about NASCAR executives past and present, and the way the industry is structured, but balance sheets and earnings reports aren't my thing.

I've had some interest in TV ratings because I follow sports media and broadcasting. But they don't dictate my interest or lack there of. I follow other forms of racing with viewership numbers that wouldn't be a blip on Nielsen's radar.

Of those who are posting, I'm closest to @mack's stated views. Once one acknowledges the decline in audience size, I don't know why one would fixate on it. It may be the duty of various people working for NASCAR and their partners to try to ensure more people watch. It's not my job. I'm here for the racing, and if the racing stops being to my liking, I'll stop watching.

Imsa is doing something right. Tons of young people today at the track. You could hardly move with all the people in the garages. Expecting over 45k.

The corporate financial aspects interest me little. I don't know enough about business at that scale to comment intelligently. I have some opinions about NASCAR executives past and present, and the way the industry is structured, but balance sheets and earnings reports aren't my thing.

I've had some interest in TV ratings because I follow sports media and broadcasting. But they don't dictate my interest or lack there of. I follow other forms of racing with viewership numbers that wouldn't be a blip on Nielsen's radar.

Of those who are posting, I'm closest to @mack's stated views. Once one acknowledges the decline in audience size, I don't know why one would fixate on it. It may be the duty of various people working for NASCAR and their partners to try to ensure more people watch. It's not my job. I'm here for the racing, and if the racing stops being to my liking, I'll stop watching.

I appreciate you weighing in and yours will be one of the opinions I will look forward too when the rules are rolled out.

Imsa is doing something right. Tons of young people today at the track. You could hardly move with all the people in the garages. Expecting over 45k.

You got that right and it is exciting to hear. It sounds like young people do enjoy racing and do enjoy going to the track.

Maybe NASCAR should let Trucks and Xfinity run the same time as Cup -- sorta like IMSA except stupider!

I'll be right back, I've got to go feed mayonnaise to the Tuna...

Yeah, and when Henry died, the company was functionally bankrupt. If not for the guaranteed cost plus war contracts, they might NOT have been in business when Henry kicked the bucket in 1947. I think Ford Motor's net profit for 1946 was something like $50.00. A former GM man named Ernie Breech saved Ford and taught Henry II how to run the company.
The Ford Company is still bankrupt, they own nothing because they used it all as collateral for a loan to continue going. Chrysler and GM declared bankruptcy and shed all their debt besides
being gifted many millions by American and Canadian governments.

In the same vein, Nascar is allowing fans in the garages this year in cup, they have been doing it for Xfinity and the Trucks last year. Indy would be a good one to go hang out in, Daytona would work. :D

Maybe NASCAR should let Trucks and Xfinity run the same time as Cup -- sorta like IMSA except stupider!

I'll be right back, I've got to go feed mayonnaise to the Tuna...
On the mile and a halfs and up, that'd actually be a pretty competitive race. Cup cars are no longer significantly faster than the lower series.

On the mile and a halfs and up, that'd actually be a pretty competitive race. Cup cars are no longer significantly faster than the lower series.

Get some contact racers like Keselowsk and go run some wreck tests between the 3 vehicles since NASCAR encourages "avoidable contact" -- and lets get this ready for the All Star Race ROVAL!

Some of the best racing at the ROVAL was Keselowski and Larson -- just get the cars to do that all race. Throw in Gragson to do on purpose what Jimmie Johnson did by accident. This could be the spectacle of the year.

I would show up for that party.

:D

I think Gragson is due for a Carl off the wall shot myself. It would be nostalgic if he could do it to JJ. Good plan Ventisca. you might be on to something running all three classes at once..shorter races for the ones with shorter attention spans, and if they could end the season sooner for the foot ballers life would be grand.

maybe deathbedders can make a correlation between home ownership and Nascar attendance. looks about the same to me and much more valid as to the state of the state.:D
View attachment 38636
Ha ha ha. I love this post. We could tweak this chart a bit and "prove" that the Chase caused the 2008 global financial crisis. It would make as much sense as some of the claims of the haters on here.

And most NHL arenas seat less than 20,000. They live off taxpayers and grants.

The cool thing about pro sports franchises is that they are in demand and cities and municipalities and citizens are pleased to pitch in.

Unfortunately for racing venues the politicians and people see no value in them so they get nothing. If they could get taxpayer funding they would but they are smart enough not to even ask.

They have never needed it until lately, The people who owned short tracks back in the day just didn't have the business sense and made a profit selling the land.

as Gnomesayin would say, this one wet the deathbed. :p from 01, an early deathbedder..throw it out there maybe it will stick.

BIG BROTHER COMES TO NASCAR

The long-awaited "TV package," centrally negotiated on behalf of all its tracks by NASCAR, a.k.a. Big Brother, will soon be completed. All sorts of awful rumors are circulating concerning the potential impact of those negotiations, which are actually being headed up by a gentleman named Bray Cary.
NASCAR intends to sell off its rights in a new package that will bring in considerably higher revenues, while at the same time increasing the governing body's control over what goes out over the airwaves. The primary vehicle in this race to censorship is a centralized production company that NASCAR is taking in-house. A television feed will be furnished to the lucky parties who get to do the announcing, commercial-splicing and other meat-and-potatoes duties. Most of the real shots will be called by Mr. Cary and his storm troopers.
https://web.archive.org/web/2001010...ess.com/ups/sports/md/archive/md19991109.html

That is an interesting observation. Maybe playing to, attempting to play to, and towards “Big Brother” and the money it generates caused the downfall. NASCAR’s peak was about at 2005. Ever since then the fans have been leaving in truckloads. Last year’s Daytonna 500 had a 5.3 rating. The 5.3 rating is the lowest for the Daytona 500 since live start-to-finish coverage began back in 1979. The previous low was a 5.6 in 2014. Also, the Daytona 500 ratings have now fallen 52% from their high water mark in 2006 which was an 11.3.

Yes, that must be it.

After spending years obsessing over the declines from the "high water marks" (which were a direct result of NASCAR's popularity soaring under the unified TV package from 2001 until about 2006), now the problem is that they courted big money and mass audiences at all.

That is an interesting observation. Maybe playing to, attempting to play to, and towards “Big Brother” and the money it generates caused the downfall. NASCAR’s peak was about at 2005. Ever since then the fans have been leaving in truckloads. Last year’s Daytonna 500 had a 5.3 rating. The 5.3 rating is the lowest for the Daytona 500 since live start-to-finish coverage began back in 1979. The previous low was a 5.6 in 2014. Also, the Daytona 500 ratings have now fallen 52% from their high water mark in 2006 which was an 11.3.

yeah man, impossible, but can ya believe they made 220 million last year? spending their way right into armageddon.

yeah man, impossible, but can ya believe they made 220 million last year? spending their way right into armageddon.

Sure with the current TV contract. Course they even make that coin by yanking out seats too. ISC annual report shows new capacity for some tracks: Kansas now 48K (was 64K), Richmond now 51K (was 59K), Darlington now 47K (was 58K), Chicagoland now 47K (was 55K), Martinsville now 44K (was 55K), Phoenix now 42K (was 51K). LOL. Everything is smelling like roses. Why else would you yank seats out. Optics of nobody attending your races on TV - perhaps, but then again, perhaps not.

Sure with the current TV contract. Course they even make that coin by yanking out seats too. ISC annual report shows new capacity for some tracks: Kansas now 48K (was 64K), Richmond now 51K (was 59K), Darlington now 47K (was 58K), Chicagoland now 47K (was 55K), Martinsville now 44K (was 55K), Phoenix now 42K (was 51K). LOL. Everything is smelling like roses. Why else would you yank seats out. Optics of nobody attending your races on TV - perhaps, but then again, perhaps not.
yeah impossible, fans leaving in droves, ratings in the cellar, and they only made 220 million dollars profit. any day now they will go belly up.

Your new tow the NASCAR party line seems to be about them not going belly up. I've never stated they were going out of business tomorrow or next year. I do like it that you agree that fans are leaving in droves. Good observation as it really isn't that hard to see, or notice. However, continuing to state that there isn't a problem simply isn't in line with the decline in TV ratings and the decline in people going to the track.

Your new tow the NASCAR party line seems to be about them not going belly up. I've never stated they were going out of business tomorrow or next year. I do like it that you agree that fans are leaving in droves. Good observation as it really isn't that hard to see, or notice. However, continuing to state that there isn't a problem simply isn't in line with the decline in TV ratings and the decline in people going to the track.

oh yeah it will be over any day now. Somebody grab the cash and turn the lights out. :p

can ya figure out how they made 220 million profit last year? That's a tough one ya know. I don't know about you, but I really don't see a problem with that.

I’ve really have enjoyed the Nascar is not going out business narrative as it has spawned some funny stuff. NASCAR’s profitability is an elixir for all things wrong as it fixes attendance, ratings and sponsorship issues.

An irony for me is that the more money that is spent on track improvements the less people show up to enjoy them. Of course apparently Nascar is not subject to market forces so what would be negatives for other entities have no impact on Nascar.

Kinda hard with market forces and whatever a person can dream up when they keep making good profits. You would think a person could figure it out.

Yes, that must be it.

After spending years obsessing over the declines from the "high water marks" (which were a direct result of NASCAR's popularity soaring under the unified TV package from 2001 until about 2006), now the problem is that they courted big money and mass audiences at all.

You don’t even have to use the high water marks to show a road map of what is transpiring in Nascar. Just go back 5 years and spend 5 minutes looking at the numbers.

You don’t even have to use the high water marks to show a road map of what is transpiring in Nascar. Just go back 5 years and spend 5 minutes looking at the numbers.
They made more money this year

Fourth Quarter Comparison

Total revenues for the fourth quarter ended November 30, 2015 were approximately $219.3 million, compared to revenues of approximately $199.8 million in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2014.

Kinda hard with market forces and whatever a person can dream up when they keep making good profits. You would think a person could figure it out.

We have already agreed on many things. The size of the profit ISC makes is immaterial as long as it is profitable. Also the profit negates any negatives associated with lower attendance revenue and actual attendance. TV ratings are not important and it is the same thing with teams and sponsors due to ISC’s profit. Another thing is that the poor performance of Nascar does not impact ISC negatively. It’s all good.

Back
Top Bottom