NASCAR movie in the works

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
Hopefully it can be a good movie for a change.

Hollywood producer Neal Edelstein, whose films have included dramas ("Mulholland Drive"), mysteries ("The Ring") and horror movies ("Haunting Melissa"). Edelstein wants to make a movie centered on a NASCAR driver, an idea pitched to him by NASCAR Vice President Zane Stoddard. And they're meeting to discuss how Universal Pictures, which agreed to finance the movie's early development, views the initial script. Why a NASCAR-related film? There's been an "explosion of action sports in this country," Edelstein says during a break. "Well, the original action sport is NASCAR. It has great texture for movies." The film is one of several projects being pursued by Stoddard and his nine-person NASCAR Entertainment Marketing staff to infiltrate pop culture with everything NASCAR in order to boost stock-car racing's sagging popularity. They also arrange driver cameos on television shows, develop new NASCAR-themed programs for TV and online outlets and bring celebrities to NASCAR races. NASCAR Entertainment's strategy is part of a five-year plan NASCAR announced in 2011 to grow the sport. "When we get to the end of that five years," Stoddard said, "we will have a very clear measurement of where we are."

Link to the actual story

from jayski

Please no more stupid crap like building cars in barns or any days of thunder crap. :rolleyes:

As long as it doesn't involve several consecutive championships I think I'll love it. I'm wondering if they will actually make a movie about the life of a real driver or just make up a story. They say they're making a movie about a NASCAR driver... not necessarily a real one.

As long as it doesn't involve several consecutive championships I think I'll love it. I'm wondering if they will actually make a movie about the life of a real driver or just make up a story. They say they're making a movie about a NASCAR driver... not necessarily a real one.
I'm thinking a real driver...not sure what the point is if it's another piece of fiction. Keselowski might be a good choice among active drivers.

Of all the NASCAR movies i've seen, none of them were really gems I mean Six Pack wasn't bad. Days of Thunder had more lot more downs then ups, never saw Talladega Nights all the way through cause i'm not a fan of Ferrells movies. Stroker Ace was a boneheaded comedy whose best scene was when Loni's dress flew up on the pitlane. It's tough to do a racing movie at all let alone one about NASCAR. I guess as long as the sport was taken seriously & the movie was in good taste, i'd be game to watch.

As long as it is nothing like the worthless piece of crap talladega nights was. Will Ferrell is an insult to comedy. put him in a race car movie and he is an insult to nascar too.

Probably be another Gone in 60 seconds style, aimed at the biggest group that action adventure movies are made for..15 year olds. Hope not.

Could be a great movie if done right. Allison, Davey, Donnie and Bobby, Kulwicki, Elliott, Ironhead and or Rusty Wallace would be great subjects. One has to remember though that for any movie/story to be interesting, unusual things have to happen. Maybe a movie based on the 1992 championship would be great. Kulwick wins by a nose, Elliott and Davey Allison compete to the end, Gant, Martin and the younger Kyle Petty are all competitive, Richard Petty ended his career, Gordon began his career. Now that would make for a great movie.

I'm thinking a real driver...not sure what the point is if it's another piece of fiction. Keselowski might be a good choice among active drivers.

He gets whacky. Tony would be my choice. Make it about ALL the racing he does. Maybe KK.

Could be a great movie if done right. Allison, Davey, Donnie and Bobby, Kulwicki, Elliott, Ironhead and or Rusty Wallace would be great subjects. One has to remember though that for any movie/story to be interesting, unusual things have to happen. Maybe a movie based on the 1992 championship would be great. Kulwick wins by a nose, Elliott and Davey Allison compete to the end, Gant, Martin and the younger Kyle Petty are all competitive, Richard Petty ended his career, Gordon began his career. Now that would make for a great movie.

I don't disagree but feel focusing on too many things would make a two hour movie be all over the place. I really think they should have took their time and done a Dale movie the right way.

Yeah maybe... or Gordon? Maybe even a true story with a made up ending like Kyle larsons trip to the top and goes on to win the championship or something.. im excited

Let's see how Rush does in the box office and then I'm sure we'll figure out if this NASCAR movie even goes into prepro let alone casting.

To be fair, Cole Trickle in Days of Thunder was based very much off of Tim Richmond. I actually like Days of Thunder mainly because I grew up with that movie.

Talladega Nights was just a pile of crap... like every other Will Ferrell movie.

Me either but ive heard diehard F1 fans dont like the look of the racing sequences. Those are the hardest scenes to do well in a racing movie

I've never understood why, in every racing movie, they have to use footage from 20 different racetracks while portraying one race.

Annoys the crap out of me!

Justin Beiber will play Joey Logano. They needed someone who could bring the proper amount of arrogance and douchebag to the role.
Oh yeah I can see him driving his Batman Cadi and white Ferrari with that stupid spiky hair look.

Let's see how Rush does in the box office and then I'm sure we'll figure out if this NASCAR movie even goes into prepro let alone casting.

I don't think Rush really effects a Nascar movie. Nasacar still trumps F1 in this country by a wide margin. Besides the diehard F1 fans that may have been around during the Hunt/Lauda time, I think people will go for look of movie and the people in it.

More on this movie from jayski.....

So what's the movie about? Here's how producer Neal Edelstein, who's working with NASCAR Vice President Zane Stoddard on the project, described in broad terms what he termed the "underdog story:"
"The story is about kind of a misfit kid who was into racing as a youth because of his father's passion for the sport. And his father's death ... pushed him out of the sport and he's a bit of a loner now, kind of on the fringes, [doing] dirt-bike riding, doing odd jobs involving racing and testing and motorcycles. So it becomes really his journey to kind of harness his ability, harness his emotions, and he gets back into the sport ... with the help of some people his father was involved with," Edelstein said. Stoddard added that the driver in the story has "this inherent skill that his dad passed on. But he's turned his back on the sport" as a result of his dad's death. It would be a contemporary movie and its working title is "Finding Speed."

So what's the movie about? Here's how producer Neal Edelstein, who's working with NASCAR Vice President Zane Stoddard on the project, described in broad terms what he termed the "underdog story:"
"The story is about kind of a misfit kid who was into racing as a youth because of his father's passion for the sport. And his father's death ... pushed him out of the sport and he's a bit of a loner now, kind of on the fringes, [doing] dirt-bike riding, doing odd jobs involving racing and testing and motorcycles. So it becomes really his journey to kind of harness his ability, harness his emotions, and he gets back into the sport ... with the help of some people his father was involved with," Edelstein said. Stoddard added that the driver in the story has "this inherent skill that his dad passed on. But he's turned his back on the sport" as a result of his dad's death. It would be a contemporary movie and its working title is "Finding Speed."
They already made that movie.

But with a chick and a 1963 VW Beetle.

MV5BMTkwNDI5NDcyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjg5OTcyMQ@@._V1._SX640_SY949_.jpg

yep, targeted at the 15 yr old male age group, that is where the movie money is. I believe I can wait until it comes out to rent, if really bad, it will be on TV quick. Steve McQueen lost his a$$ making LeMans, but it and Grand Prix although they are older films, are hard to beat for realism. Ironicaly, Nascar in the same time period as LeMans cars were running their fastest at Daytona and Talladega. a chicane on the Muslsanne straight, and restrictor plates slowed it all down. around 240 MPH for both types of cars was it.

Ok here it is. I found this thread on Nascar movies. Days of thunder I enjoyed even though it was top gun on a race track. I thought it might be fun to elaborate on what we liked about this movie and what we did not.

Like:Music, Nicole Kidman, racing scenes
Dislikes:the reality seems stretched to me.

Ok here it is. I found this thread on Nascar movies. Days of thunder I enjoyed even though it was top gun on a race track. I thought it might be fun to elaborate on what we liked about this movie and what we did not.

Like:Music, Nicole Kidman, racing scenes
Dislikes:the reality seems stretched to me.
I did not like the way they shift at 180 lol ... I like everything else.

I actually enjoyed Days of Thunder, I mean parts of it was obviously cheesy and they messed up on what Dayton 500 actually means in the sport, but it was still a good movie.

However reading this, yea it looks like it's going to suck. Why can't they do a movie in a real life rivalry in the sport? That'll get you your action pack scene will also drawing in the NASCAR fans who wants something realistic and closer to reality.

Back
Top Bottom