NASCAR, Rednecks & Millenials

The strong redneck/NASCAR association is definitely a huge massive major embarrassment for non-redneck fans. The NASCAR stereotype is that NASCAR fans look and act like the cast of Honey Boo Boo and Duck Dynasty, are racist, voted Trump. are drunk, hate education, love WWE, are ruled by negative emotion and have no ability to use reason and logic to resolve conflict or understand viewpoints that differ from their own. Sadly, this stereotype is confirmed way too often. Especially on social media. There are many fans that absolutely do not want to be lumped into that group. Obviously some will choose to be offended by my post here but being offended doesn't make you right.
A few of those characteristics you listed really aren't bad things IMO.

I love WWE. I used to love Duck Dynasty, though I haven't watched it in ages. I have a good friend that looks and acts kind of like those guys. This isn't the place for politics, so I won't address the Trump topic.

Well I'm a redneck and I'm also a millennial. It would bode well for NASCAR to get away from the redneck stigma that they have with a lot of people. Monster might be able to help with that and bring in a more diverse audience. Suarez and Bubba Wallace coming up to Cup might help some to.

Who next do you recommend? How about replacing all the current drivers with drivers from Europe. What do you recommend NA$CAR to do with all the local small short tracks and local drivers?

Who next do you recommend? How about replacing all the current drivers with drivers from Europe. What do you recommend NA$CAR to do with all the local small short tracks and local drivers?
They need a nice mix of drivers. Im mot saying NASCAR shouldnt have the "good ol boy" drivers it would just help to have a more diverse field. I think any driver that is talented enough to step in to a car and compete should get a chance whether they are from local short tracks, minorities, or foreign countries.

They need a nice mix of drivers. Im mot saying NASCAR shouldnt have the "good ol boy" drivers it would just help to have a more diverse field. I think any driver that is talented enough to step in to a car and compete should get a chance whether they are from local short tracks, minorities, or foreign countries.
That's dangerous territory there. You don't want to have diversity for diversity's sake. Drivers need to earn their way into the sport, though say the Dillon brothers get in due to family connections. I'm not against any minority being in Nascar, but the last thing we need is affirmative action dictating the sport.

It would be foolish to speculate where NASCAR would be right now had they chosen not to implement the Chase, the ridiculous caution clocks, the goofy playoff format, etc.
One thing though that is easy to see is the fact that none of these changes has resulted in increased track attendance or broadcast ratings.

That's dangerous territory there. You don't want to have diversity for diversity's sake. Drivers need to earn their way into the sport, though say the Dillon brothers get in due to family connections. I'm not against any minority being in Nascar, but the last thing we need is affirmative action dictating the sport.
I think you're both right to a degree. I don't think a more diverse field would hurt anything at all, but I don't think it should be forced. I think it should come naturally. When I watch a race, I want to see the best drivers in the world, regardless of their skin color or gender.

The strong redneck/NASCAR association is definitely a huge massive major embarrassment for non-redneck fans. The NASCAR stereotype is that NASCAR fans look and act like the cast of Honey Boo Boo and Duck Dynasty, are racist, voted Trump. are drunk, hate education, love WWE, are ruled by negative emotion and have no ability to use reason and logic to resolve conflict or understand viewpoints that differ from their own. Sadly, this stereotype is confirmed way too often. Especially on social media. There are many fans that absolutely do not want to be lumped into that group. Obviously some will choose to be offended by my post here but being offended doesn't make you right.

It appears that you are correct that multiple people are offended. I guess I can understand that if they think they are being diminished. What you are saying is true, whether the strereotypes are fair or not. They exist, and they do inhibit people who don't think they fit into the culture of the sport from embracing it or admitting they watch it. Unfortunately the cultural divide in this country is only growing deeper, and there are unfair characterizations and intolerance on all sides.

Yeah that's what I said. Only if a driver is truely good enough to drive in NASCAR should he. I'm not saying that they should just add people for diversity sake. They have done a good job with their Drive for Diversity progamram in devolping drivers like Suarez and Wallace and them getting to Cup will help diverseify the audience more.

It appears that you are correct that multiple people are offended. I guess I can understand that if they think they are being diminished. What you are saying is true, whether the strereotypes are fair or not. They exist, and they do inhibit people who don't think they fit into the culture of the sport from embracing it or admitting they watch it. Unfortunately the cultural divide in this country is only growing deeper, there are unfair characterizations and finger pointing on all sides.
I can't speak for anyone else here, but I'm not offended.

I'm not offended, either.
I understand that a lot of the nation might see us this way, but that's their problem, not mine.
Part of the problem is the way NASCAR has been marketed in the past. If all you see in advertising is the beer-drinking, tobacco-chewing spectator showing glee when "the big one" happens, then you might come to the conclusion that all fans are like that.

I think I'm well-educated and well-traveled enough to say I'm NOT the stereotypical fan, but some may argue that point. LOL

I know some aren't and I'm glad, but when a post starts drawing angry "Why do you even post here?" responses with multiple likes, somebody is...perturbed.

From my experience, the three pointed fingers was reserved for the drunken Earnhardt fan in front of me. I swear an Earnhardt fan stood up every lap for 500 laps at Martinsville one time to wave those three fingers at him, as if he was powering Dale's car with said fingers. It was like Dale would come around and those three fingers would shove the car around another lap.
He must have known the guy I sat behind at Richmond. For him, 1 finger meant Gordon, for 400 laps.

Mind you, it was the middle finger. I've never understood why people buy a ticket to spend several hours focused primarily on someone they claim to dislike.

Many years back there was some black group from Danville, VA that said they were going to expose the racism of Nascar at Martinsville. Well, I remember seeing them at the track and nobody was minding them any attention or being rude to them. That group never followed up on it because I guess nothing ever happened. There are a few deplorables in the bunch, but for the most part, Nascar fans are pretty much like anyone else. I know I reference Martinsville a lot, but it's my home track and I'm not too much on traveling long distances.

I know some aren't and I'm glad, but when a post starts drawing angry "Why do you even post here?" responses with multiple likes, somebody is...perturbed.
I wasn't offended either..... It takes a whole lot more than that to get me riled up........ I was just posing a question ..... I fit into a few of the categories he mentioned... but..... don't really consider myself a redneck....... being a redneck isn't necessarily all that bad....... theres a whole lot worse classifications.....

I wasn't offended either..... It takes a whole lot more than that to get me riled up........ I was just posing a question ..... I fit into a few of the categories he mentioned... but..... don't really consider myself a redneck....... being a redneck isn't necessarily all that bad....... theres a whole lot worse classifications.....
There's a difference between 'redneck' and 'trash', and uninformed people often use the first word when they mean the second.

Let's NOT get started with one-up-manship, please.
This has been a civil discussion up to now.

OK, and I did not mean for any of my posts to antagonize. I won't question the moderation, because I've been in that position and no how tough and thankless a job it is. At the time I originally posted, I was essentially standing up for the validity of a post that was being universally trashed. My overall intention is to bridge gaps of understanding.

OK, and I did not mean for any of my posts to antagonize. I won't question the moderation, because I've been in that position and no how tough and thankless a job it is. At the time I originally posted, I was essentially standing up for the validity of a post that was being universally trashed. My overall intention is to bridge gaps of understanding.
Good luck bridgin' gaps 'round here :D

Renting a scanner would have improved your experience and saved your ears.

Pretty sure people that were our age in the 60's got assaulted by the same noise. Fenway was the same too.

Bottom line is Motorsports are declining and society sucks.

I had a scanner on the entire time.

If the younger opinion is that live racing is an inferior way to watch this sport, it's doomed. I've always regarded it as the best way, primarily because TV coverage can't show the entire field.

A scanner will carry team chatter. That's exactly why they're popular. Maybe yours was incorrectly programmed. Is it possible you weren't using it to full effect?

Again, I had the scanner going just fine and mostly on the 24 radio the whole time. It has nothing to do with the scanner. For less than the cost of that one scanner rental I can scan every cup race of the entire year on my laptop at home. So while we're on the topic of scanners, the rental prices are freakin insane. 40 bucks and that was the cheap one, are you kidding me?

My point about the scanner is that if you're hearing radio chatter then of course you cannot follow the MRN radio broadcast at the same time. And so you have to idea what the heck is going on during the race.

My Dad and I never had any problem communicating during races. We had a series of hand signals worked out. Pointing with three fingers (or more) meant '3 wide!'. Pointing with two fingers scissoring meant two cars were trading positions. Car numbers were indicated by holding up the appropriate fingers. Two hands separating meant that car was pulling away. Pulling at your own T-shirt meant your driver was doing well. You get the idea.

Holy CRAP that would annoy me to sit with a person who was doing that the whole time.

Millenniums for the most part are the Boomers Grandkids.
I wouldn't say "for the most part", but I'm sure that's true in some cases. Boomers were born between 1946-1964 and Millenials were born between 1980-2000, so it's definitely a broad range.

Last edited:
My point about the scanner is that if you're hearing radio chatter then of course you cannot follow the MRN radio broadcast at the same time. And so you have to idea what the heck is going on during the race.
Ah. I misunderstood. My scanner approach is to leave it on MRN and set several driver channels to override that only when they actually carrying traffic.

Rental prices are pretty steep. You can buy a used one for less than $100, so three races or so is the break-even point.

Read this. It's what monster wants in the sport. And I'm not a Boomer.
Do we care who Monster wants in the sport? The tracks haven't yet made anyone take off the Confederate battle flag T-shirts they bought from the 'gypsies' across the street. If they haven't stopped that, I don't see them bowing to any other sensitivities first.

The sport needs new fans.

I had a response to your post but..... I guess TRL saw best to delete it........

Do we care who Monster wants in the sport? The tracks haven't yet made anyone take off the Confederate battle flag T-shirts they bought from the 'gypsies' across the street. If they haven't stopped that, I don't see them bowing to any other sensitivities first.
The sport needs new fans.
That was in response to all of the "we need to get rid of the over 50 redneck trash" posts. Of course we need new fans but my point is and was that we don't need to put "any" age range in a certain negative bracket just because of a few nutcases.

upload_2016-12-3_17-9-52.jpeg

That was in response to all of the "we need to get rid of the over 50 redneck trash" posts. Of course we need new fans but my point is and was that we don't need to put "any" age range in a certain negative bracket just because of a few nutcases.

I know I wouldn't have understood your point without this clarification. I thought you referenced an article by a college student covering a book by a college professor about political correctness and oversensitivity on college campuses, and claimed with no support or coherence that "It's what monster wants in the sport". This despite Monster being about the least politically correct brand in the realm of possibility for NASCAR sponsorship, and a company whose image would be widely derided by anyone that silly blog post was describing.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say "for the most part", but I'm sure that's true in some cases. Boomers were born between 1946-1964 and Millenials were born between 1980-2000, so it's definitely a broad range.

Yeah I'm 21 and my parents are both boomers (my dad barely).

I think Monster wants the X-Game loving, Red Bull (soon to be Monster we hope) drinking energy junkie to become a fan. I dont think snowflakes are what they are after

Smug assholes are more offensive imo.

Back
Top Bottom