NASCAR, Rednecks & Millenials

There are 10 drivers from the American South that will be full time next year. That's a 1/4 of the field. That's also not counting Clint Boywer or Carl Edwards that are from Kansas and Missiouri respectively but I was only counting southeast drivers which is what I think you were talking about. I don't consider a quarter of the field as being grossly under represented.

Aric Amarola- FL
Trevor Bayne- TN
Chris Buescher-TX
Austin Dillon- NC
Ty Dillon-NC
Chase Elliott-GA
Dale Jr.-NC
Denny Hamlin-FL
David Ragan-GA

Ricky Stenthouse Jr-MS
I thought Denny H was from Virginia?...or did he just move there.

I thought Denny H was from Virginia?...or did he just move there.
Denny is from Chesterfield, VA

If you come to Phoenix for a race be sure to let me know so we can do a RF meet up

Was born in FL, moved to VA at a young age wikipedia says.
FWIW, I was using Racing Reference and I was under the impression that used the drivers POB in the "Home" section.

There are 10 drivers from the American South that will be full time next year. That's a 1/4 of the field. That's also not counting Clint Boywer or Carl Edwards that are from Kansas and Missiouri respectively but I was only counting southeast drivers which is what I think you were talking about. I don't consider a quarter of the field as being grossly under represented.

Aric Amarola- FL
Trevor Bayne- TN
Chris Buescher-TX
Austin Dillon- NC
Ty Dillon-NC
Chase Elliott-GA
Dale Jr.-NC
Denny Hamlin-FL
David Ragan-GA

Ricky Stenhouse Jr-MS

I was actually surprised to see this, as my impression without counting was that southern drivers are way down (I suppose they are still way down from 30 years ago when they were 90% of the field). I suppose this impression comes from the winners/championship contenders, which are dominated by "Yankees." Outside of Elliot and Hamlin, these guys aren't regularly near the front.

I suppose this impression comes from the winners/championship contenders, which are dominated by "Yankees." Outside of Elliot and Hamlin, these guys aren't regularly near the front.
Good point. The last southerner to win the championship was Dale Jarrett in 1999, Bobby Labonte in 2000 if you consider Texas part of the south. Since then all the champions have been from Indiana, Wisconsin, Nevada, California, and Michigan.

[QUOTE="Skoalbandit33, post: 1045037, member: 8634"]In my world and that of many others FL is not southern states? ...:)

o_O AH, please explain this.[/QUOTE]

Florida is geographically south but it is so full of Damn Yankees (Yankees that stay and don't go home) plus in different parts of the state English is a third or 4th language so it ain't real south. Hell, southern Ohio is more south than Florida.

I was actually surprised to see this, as my impression without counting was that southern drivers are way down (I suppose they are still way down from 30 years ago when they were 90% of the field). I suppose this impression comes from the winners/championship contenders, which are dominated by "Yankees." Outside of Elliot and Hamlin, these guys aren't regularly near the front.

Listening to Martin Truex talk compared to Sterling Marlin is night and day.

is there some bad rednecks out there in nascar land going to the races

yep

but look at all teh fans fighting in the nfl

look at nba players who throughout the years have lived the "gangster" lifestyle

To be fair, Jeff and Ward Burton grew up in the same damn house and it's like night and day listening to THEM speak.
LOL........ good point.....

I really like Dale Jr. but everytime I hear him give an interview... (well... not so much anymore as a few years back)........ I always thought I was listening to Boomhauer on ''King of the Hill''..........

Would love to hear Ward Burton, Kimi Rak... (spelling?) and Niles Crane all calling a race together, just because it would be sick.

This could be a better fit than most of us think. Seeing that the younger folks like to mix their alcohol with energy drinks, they can mix some 'shine with their Monster Energy drinks. Then maybe a little "Redneck" will rub off on them, and they may look at it a little differently. Besides, I like the idea of bringing back trophy girls that are not wrapped up in a fire suit. That will probably be the biggest sticking point of this deal. Will NASCAR insist on covering up the Monster Girls, or will they let Monster market them like they do in Supercross. This old geezer is hoping for the latter. I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

This could be a better fit than most of us think. Seeing that the younger folks like to mix their alcohol with energy drinks, they can mix some 'shine with their Monster Energy drinks. Then maybe a little "Redneck" will rub off on them, and they may look at it a little differently. Besides, I like the idea of bringing back trophy girls that are not wrapped up in a fire suit. That will probably be the biggest sticking point of this deal. Will NASCAR insist on covering up the Monster Girls, or will they let Monster market them like they do in Supercross. This old geezer is hoping for the latter. I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.
I'm not dead yet either, but I can find scantily clad pretty girls all over the place. They are plenty already at the track, elsewhere in the real world, and on the web. Monster's bunch doesn't offend me, but pretty girls haven't yet been enough to attract me to an event or sport I wasn't already interested in.

I don't see anything noteworthy about their presence, likely wouldn't miss them if they didn't show up, and may already be getting tired of hearing about them. Not tired of them, just of hearing about them. Just me, I guess.

A lot of fuss over not much.

The 820 million per year TV / Broadband rights deal is still the tail that wags the NASCAR dog.

o_O AH, please explain this.

Florida is geographically south but it is so full of Damn Yankees (Yankees that stay and don't go home) plus in different parts of the state English is a third or 4th language so it ain't real south. Hell, southern Ohio is more south than Florida.[/QUOTE]

Well, I was born in and live in Florida and now that you mention it, we are about to go Alamo on their Yankee butts.
As we True Floridians say every spring, "Happiness is A New Yorker Headed Home With A Canadian under each arm":D

I'm not dead yet either, but I can find scantily clad pretty girls all over the place. They are plenty already at the track, elsewhere in the real world, and on the web. Monster's bunch doesn't offend me, but pretty girls haven't yet been enough to attract me to an event or sport I wasn't already interested in.

I don't see anything noteworthy about their presence, likely wouldn't miss them if they didn't show up, and may already be getting tired of hearing about them. Not tired of them, just of hearing about them. Just me, I guess.
Back when it was Winston Cup, the Winston girls were hawt. I was always willing to collect a few free hugs that they were giving out. :whoopee:

Florida is geographically south but it is so full of Damn Yankees (Yankees that stay and don't go home) plus in different parts of the state English is a third or 4th language so it ain't real south. Hell, southern Ohio is more south than Florida.

Well, I was born in and live in Florida and now that you mention it, we are about to go Alamo on their Yankee butts.
As we True Floridians say every spring, "Happiness is A New Yorker Headed Home With A Canadian under each arm":D[/QUOTE]
Well I'd hazard a guess that it's better they be from the north than the south.

Back when it was Winston Cup, the Winston girls were hawt. I was always willing to collect a few free hugs that they were giving out. :whoopee:
Oh, no doubt. Hooters girls too. But did they draw you to the track? Did their absence cause you to lose interest in the sport?

Oh, no doubt. Hooters girls too. But did they draw you to the track? Did their absence cause you to lose interest in the sport?

If I was going to the beach beautiful women would be part of the allure but the prospect of luscious lovelies would have zero impact on whether I attended a race, concert, movie or anything else that comes to mind.

If I was going to the beach beautiful women would be part of the allure but the prospect of luscious lovelies would have zero impact on whether I attended a race, concert, movie or anything else that comes to mind.
I agree that the extra activities whether its pretty girls or a live band is not going to be the reason for me to attend any sporting event. But, it sure makes it nice when there is something extra at a sporting event that makes the trip a lot more exciting and makes me feel like I got a lot more entertainment for my dollar. I arrived to our Dallas race a week early this year so I decided to go to a Dallas Cowboys game and they really know how to make sure you have a great time. If all they had offered was the game then I would have only gotten about 3 hours worth of entertainment but because of all of the extra activities I got 8 hours worth of entertainment. They had stages set up with different bands playing all day and in to the night, the Dallas dance squad performing all day, the Dallas cheerleaders performing on stage before the game, and then after the game more bands played until around 8.30 pm. Plus they have a beer garden outside with a DJ playing music while fans can dance and watch other games on large screen TV's. I left at 8.30pm and the party was still going strong.

I agree that the extra activities whether its pretty girls or a live band is not going to be the reason for me to attend any sporting event. But, it sure makes it nice when there is something extra at a sporting event that makes the trip a lot more exciting and makes me feel like I got a lot more entertainment for my dollar. I arrived to our Dallas race a week early this year so I decided to go to a Dallas Cowboys game and they really know how to make sure you have a great time. If all they had offered was the game then I would have only gotten about 3 hours worth of entertainment but because of all of the extra activities I got 8 hours worth of entertainment. They had stages set up with different bands playing all day and in to the night, the Dallas dance squad performing all day, the Dallas cheerleaders performing on stage before the game, and then after the game more bands played until around 8.30 pm. Plus they have a beer garden outside with a DJ playing music while fans can dance and watch other games on large screen TV's. I left at 8.30pm and the party was still going strong.
I'd rather they cut all that nonsense and correspondingly reduce the cost of my ticket. You paid for it, one way or another.

I'd rather they cut all that nonsense and correspondingly reduce the cost of my ticket. You paid for it, one way or another.
I have paid a lot more for a lot less. If you didn't want to pay the price for a seat you could buy a party pass for only $28.00. That got you general admission and everything else but a seat...and they sold a lot of those tickets. What you consider nonsense may be just the opposite to another.

I am glad you had a good time as it sounds like there was a lot to take in and be part of. I am likely in a tiny minority on this but when I am going to a game, concert, movie or some other type of entertainment I prefer to get in at the very last minute and get out as quickly as possible.

I am that way myself as instead of having coupons, reward cards and other gimmicks just price the item fairly and leave it at that.

I have paid a lot more for a lot less. If you didn't want to pay the price for a seat you could buy a party pass for only $28.00. That got you general admission and everything else but a seat...and they sold a lot of those tickets. What you consider nonsense may be just the opposite to another.

I completely get what you are saying as it is different strokes for different folks. For me paying a $28 cover charge plus parking plus food and beverages to watch girls jump around and hear some bands play is not worthwhile but I can easily see how it would make a nice day for someone else especially if they were with a group of friends.

Ooooooooooooooooooo-kay. Whatever keeps the track open, I guess.

I think the perception of millennials held by many older people are warped by the media. Yes, there is the 'snowflake' element. But there are also plenty of millennials that qualify as redneck. I taught classes as a grad student the last few years at Florida State. I never dealt with anyone demanding a 'safe space,' but I did see plenty of students with camo hats. I think the snowflake element predominates in a few, isolated pockets but not in the flyover country that is NASCAR's bread-and-butter.

Back
Top Bottom