NASCAR, Rednecks & Millenials

It's amazing to me, the lengths some of will go to justify rude behavior.
Sometimes it amazes me the lengths some will go to find offense where none was intended. Also to expect others to be aware of every individual's personal sense of the offensive, particularly when those others come from backgrounds where the behaviors now considered offensive were never previously viewed as such.

I think the perception of millennials held by many older people are warped by the media. Yes, there is the 'snowflake' element. But there are also plenty of millennials that qualify as redneck. I taught classes as a grad student the last few years at Florida State. I never dealt with anyone demanding a 'safe space,' but I did see plenty of students with camo hats. I think the snowflake element predominates in a few, isolated pockets but not in the flyover country that is NASCAR's bread-and-butter.
Last time I checked, the US military is mostly millennials and later nowadays. I doubt the few that go into initial training ("Basic") as snowflakes come out that way.

Sometimes it amazes me the lengths some will go to find offense where none was intended. Also to expect others to be aware of every individual's personal sense of the offensive, particularly when those others come from backgrounds where the behaviors now considered offensive were never previously viewed as such.

IKR? It really sucks having to consider anyone but myself.

Ooooooooooooooooooo-kay. Whatever keeps the track open, I guess.
I just hope Monster can give Nascar a boost in the right direction and doesn't do anything that messes the racing up any more then what a lot of the fans say it is. I know there are a lot of fans that are unhappy with Nascar right now, but I hope that changes in the future...only time will tell. I guess we better get back on topic before we get in trouble.;):)

I think the perception of millennials held by many older people are warped by the media. Yes, there is the 'snowflake' element. But there are also plenty of millennials that qualify as redneck. I taught classes as a grad student the last few years at Florida State. I never dealt with anyone demanding a 'safe space,' but I did see plenty of students with camo hats. I think the snowflake element predominates in a few, isolated pockets but not in the flyover country that is NASCAR's bread-and-butter.

I think you are right as I know millennials that are hard working and are not looking to be mollycoddled at every turn.

With you being an atheist (I think I remembered that correctly) you could choose to become very offended especially this time of year but I suspect you choose not to. It is the same with me as I could choose to be offended and take great umbrage at many different things but I either take it from where it came from or realize that the offense was made in ignorance or no malice aforethought.

I just hope Monster can give Nascar a boost in the right direction and doesn't do anything that messes the racing up any more then what a lot of the fans say it is. I know there are a lot of fans that are unhappy with Nascar right now, but I hope that changes in the future...only time will tell. I guess we better get back on topic before we get in trouble.;):)

Well said and I think if the dreaded aero problem could be mitigated as much as possible it would do a great deal in making current fans happy (happier) and make the racing more interesting for newbies checking things out. Nascar could do us a solid by letting races play out naturally instead of getting a case of the yips and tossing out the caution flag. What is really frustrating is when Nascar throws a bogus yellow near the end of the race as the double wreck re-starts cause more cautions.

Back
Top Bottom