NASCAR stages road course test at Charlotte Motor Speedway

Boy, that backstretch chicane doesn't slow them down at all. He enters it around the 1:06 mark and is well clear of it by 1:08.

That turn around the 0:38 mark looks like it goes up hill a bit. I wonder how much the drivers can see of the next right-hander before they get to it? :)

Don’t forget to pack a brand new $50,000 four corner brake package to bolt on before final practice.

Every time we get a new video of this course I see more poorly-angled walls and concrete...:eek:

Still hoping for a good race!!

Don't like the front stretch chicane at all. I get why it's there but the angle of it is terrible.

Seems like the upper Ford Terrace is going to be the best place to watch this race from.

Some cool camera angles in this:

Great piece. Thank you. Was wondering if Sonoma gains significance in preparation for a Playoff race, and Paul answered that. This is between Sonoma and WG. Hated this idea at first, but I am warming to it now. I love that this has to change the way teams look at Sonoma. Not only a way into the Playoffs, but preparation for when you get there. When a change in a race creates the net effect of changing the approach to two races, this is a good investment IMO.
I noticed that as well.
Dinger is going to have a field day there, I expect him to pass a lot of people there.
Does Dinger have an advantage on a road course anymore? I see him as a top 10 car on a road course, but not much more.

Don't like the front stretch chicane at all. I get why it's there but the angle of it is terrible.

Seems like the upper Ford Terrace is going to be the best place to watch this race from.
I agree with you about the front stretch chicane. They probably should of had sharper turns for the one on the backstretch, as it is it doesn't slow them down that much.

You could have some absolute battles to the finish going into that last turn. Cool idea though, course seems to have some nice flow to it

Gotta be honest....never the biggest fan of stock cars on a road course. Went to Sonoma last year. It was pretty cool. Different, but still cool. Going again this year, and honestly, my jacked meter is pegged with Charlotte as a Playoff/Elimination race. Feel like there is going to be an extra level of commitment given what will be at stake in the fall. All in all, I am coming to the road course party.

Gotta be honest....never the biggest fan of stock cars on a road course. Went to Sonoma last year. It was pretty cool. Different, but still cool. Going again this year, and honestly, my jacked meter is pegged with Charlotte as a Playoff/Elimination race. Feel like there is going to be an extra level of commitment given what will be at stake in the fall. All in all, I am coming to the road course party.
I'm with ye Rev, I think they are going to be tearing up the place before it is all over.

What’s the over / under on The Shrub putting a spanking on the field?

I like AJ. Totally new layout and he is usually pretty aggressive in the breaking zones where the others might be a little more cautious. Not saying KB wont be and he def will be a factor. Should be fun seeing who adapts the quickest.
....and this leads me to an interesting question.....Who are the top 5 road course racers in NASCAR right now? I'm talking inclusive of his equipment. In other words, none of the "if he had a better car" stuff. I am talking driver and car. My list:

1) Kyle Busch
2) Martin Truex Jr.
3) Jimmie Johnson
4) Kevin Harvick
5) Dinger

So, I am obviously biased, but I really think that Kyle is the best right now (to answer @aunty dive question--Kyle would have to be the favorite in Charlotte I would think). I struggled to put AJ at 5 when Denny has been very good over the last couple of years. Suarez has promise as well. I am sure I am missing someone. Whatcha think?....Interesting to note that Erik Jones was in Sonoma a couple of weeks ago driving something I heard. Will be very fascinating to see what he brings to the table given his big time talent.
I'm with ye Rev, I think they are going to be tearing up the place before it is all over.
Somebody pointed out to me some time ago (could have been you) that there is something to be said for a skill set that enables a driver to wheel a heavy stock car with finesse. Changed my mindset. Then, watching them through the twisties last year, and on the gas to the hairpin sealed it. Very cool.

....and this leads me to an interesting question.....Who are the top 5 road course racers in NASCAR right now? I'm talking inclusive of his equipment. In other words, none of the "if he had a better car" stuff. I am talking driver and car. My list:

1) Kyle Busch
2) Martin Truex Jr.
3) Jimmie Johnson
4) Kevin Harvick
5) Dinger

So, I am obviously biased, but I really think that Kyle is the best right now (to answer @aunty dive question--Kyle would have to be the favorite in Charlotte I would think). I struggled to put AJ at 5 when Denny has been very good over the last couple of years. Suarez has promise as well. I am sure I am missing someone. Whatcha think?....Interesting to note that Erik Jones was in Sonoma a couple of weeks ago driving something I heard. Will be very fascinating to see what he brings to the table given his big time talent.
No particular order...Kyle Busch, Harvick, Allmendinger, Truex, Logano

Hamlin and Keselowski right on the cusp. Hamlin is interesting to me because up until two years ago the guy was just absolutely miserable on road courses.

Hamlin is interesting to me because up until two years ago the guy was just absolutely miserable on road courses.

I agree. He was terrible, and now a player. Wondering if Kyle had something to do with that? Reciprocating the help Denny has given him on short course--particularly Martinsville.

1) Kyle Busch
2) Martin Truex Jr.
3) Jimmie Johnson
4) Kevin Harvick
5) Dinger

No order, Logano, AJ, Busch, Truex, Hamlin

Racing Reference says over the last 10 R/C races, average finishes:

Kurt Busch (NOT Kyle) 6.9
Logano 8.7
Harvick 11.3
Kyle Busch 12.9
Truex 14.9

Dinger is 15th, 19.0

"The More You Know..."

Logano 8.7
Harvick 11.3
Kyle Busch 12.9
Truex 14.9

Dinger is 15th, 19.0

"The More You Know..."

How the hell did I forget Kurt? Great post.

Logano 8.7
Harvick 11.3
Kyle Busch 12.9
Truex 14.9

Dinger is 15th, 19.0

"The More You Know..."

Dinger has to drive his equipment harder than anyone on that list. Most of the time its an equipment issue or Dinger just straight up over drives. He's not the feast or famine type, but I wonder if JTG will give the man a good car come the road course races?

No order - Busch bros, Dinger, Truex, and its a tie between Logano and Keselowski for me.

Dinger has to drive his equipment harder than anyone on that list. Most of the time its an equipment issue or Dinger just straight up over drives. He's not the feast or famine type, but I wonder if JTG will give the man a good car come the road course races?

Yeah, I hear you, but I'm still not sure that Dinger is a top 5 lock with the best equipment. He is certainly worthy of consideration, but not a lock IMO.

Logano 8.7
Harvick 11.3
Kyle Busch 12.9
Truex 14.9

Dinger is 15th, 19.0

"The More You Know..."
Dingers results are more equipment related so i did take that in to consideration. His talent on RC's cant be ignored.

Yeah, I hear you, but I'm still not sure that Dinger is a top 5 lock with the best equipment. He is certainly worthy of consideration, but not a lock IMO.
:eek: Put him in one of those Gibbs Toyotas and you would see.

Dingers results are more equipment related so i did take that in to consideration. His talent on RC's cant be ignored.
Ah, but the original question was driver AND car:
I'm talking inclusive of his equipment. In other words, none of the "if he had a better car" stuff. I am talking driver and car.

Dinger's still a good fantasy pick in a tiered league or as a lower priced driver in a salary league.

Speaking of Racing Reference and the overblown 'Kyle has won on all active tracks' kerfuffle, I assume they'll have to record roval statistics separate from the oval, and include the roval when people request stats for R/Cs.

Ah, but the original question was driver AND car:

Dinger's still a good fantasy pick in a tiered league or as a lower priced driver in a salary league.
Just ask yourself why AJ qualifies and runs upfront on a road course and not the ovals.

Just ask yourself why AJ qualifies and runs upfront on a road course and not the ovals.
Because he and team are better on R/Cs than ovals? I'm missing your point. He and the car aren't as good on R/Cs and 14 other driver / car combos. He may be the best R/C driver overall but there's no way to prove it unless he changes cars or IROC returns.

Because he and team are better on R/Cs than ovals? I'm missing your point. He and the car aren't as good on R/Cs and 14 other driver / car combos. He may be the best R/C driver overall but there's no way to prove it unless he changes cars or IROC returns.
Because he is an elite RC driver. Thats the point

Back
Top Bottom